View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Why do many pop stars turn to drugs and suicide?

Discuss Philosophical or Psychological subjects and topics.

Re: Why do many pop stars turn to drugs and suicide?

Postby Craig Browning » 09 Sep 2011, 03:54

Scepcop wrote:
Ben Masada wrote:
Scepcop wrote:I don't understand something. Why do many stars go into drug addiction and attempt or commit suicide? Marilyn Monroe reportedly made suicide attempts. And her death may have been a suicide. Elvis Presley went into drug addiction didn't he? And so did Michael Jackson. Didn't Kurt Cobain commit suicide? And Drew Barrymore attempted suicide too, I heard. My parents told me that one of their favorite singers of the 70's, Andy Gibb, committed suicide over a woman that left him. Is that true? (He was good looking and had a tender charming voice, what kind of woman would leave him, and why would he care since he could have easily gotten another woman?)

Anyway, why do so many pop stars go into drug addiction and try to kill themselves or sometimes succeed? I don't get it. I mean, if I were rich and famous and could get any girl I want, and had millions of girls fawning all over me, the last thing I'd want to do is ruin myself with drugs or try to end my life. It seems so illogical. What motivates that? Is there some mysterious karmic force that attacks your soul when you become rich and famous and loved, cause you've gotten more than you deserved?

Any explanation?

I think that boredom is the word.

What? That doesn't make sense. Boredom does not cause suicide, drugs or depression. Get real. It's not that simple.

I fear you're wrong on that front.

General boredom, depending on your age & mind-set, can lead you towards "stink'n think'n" as some would say; you're willing to do most anything just to "feel" and "experience" things that remove you from that state. Frequently those "outs" come in the form of booze, sexual promiscuity, drugs, and in some cases very curious acts of both, theft & violence.

An Actual THIEF is rarely a hoodlum or thug, most of them come from money and deliberately steal valuables for the sake of the thrill not for the cash it can give them or the ego boost simple quiet possession allows; it's a matter of wits and being able to pull off a caper that was considered "impossible". Ironically, a lot of the people that get caught, who fit this niche, end up with an actual career working for corporations and governments, but that's another story.

The VIOLENCE side comes from inner-resentments, those voices in one's head that tend to show up when you are bored and have nothing productive to get involved in -- idle hands lead to temptation, as the bible suggests. The bitterness and anger is usually directed inward on the self, something that's very typical of middle-aged males. Out of frustration they simply explode and hurt others without necessarily meaning to do so. In the case of spoiled celebrity types however, there is a child-like immaturity that incites their ego "Who are you to say no to me?" becomes a matter of attitude. In their mind they are "superior" and used to getting things their way without exception.

Boredom is the early start of outward depression, the feelings of dissatisfaction, self-loathing to some degree, general restlessness because you don't want to be alone with your head -- those voices that taunt you about your inadequacies, failures, and various faults.

This isn't just theory that I'm speaking on here, it's still very much based on my life experience; what I deal with almost daily as well as what I see others going through. The irony being that my helping them helps me -- they become my focus rather than my mind having the opportunity to pick on me directly.

Funny how such things work out, isn't it? ;)
Craig Browning

Re: Why do many pop stars turn to drugs and suicide?

Postby Twain Shakespeare » 27 Sep 2011, 09:09

Scepcop wrote:I don't understand something. Why do many stars go into drug addiction and attempt or commit suicide? Marilyn Monroe reportedly made suicide attempts. And her death may have been a suicide. Elvis Presley went into drug addiction didn't he? And so did Michael Jackson. Didn't Kurt Cobain commit suicide? And Drew Barrymore attempted suicide too, I heard. My parents told me that one of their favorite singers of the 70's, Andy Gibb, committed suicide over a woman that left him. Is that true? (He was good looking and had a tender charming voice, what kind of woman would leave him, and why would he care since he could have easily gotten another woman?)

Anyway, why do so many pop stars go into drug addiction and try to kill themselves or sometimes succeed? I don't get it. I mean, if I were rich and famous and could get any girl I want, and had millions of girls fawning all over me, the last thing I'd want to do is ruin myself with drugs or try to end my life. It seems so illogical. What motivates that? Is there some mysterious karmic force that attacks your soul when you become rich and famous and loved, cause you've gotten more than you deserved?

Any explanation?

My explanation.
Because they are solar myths, and that is what solar myths do. That was obvious to me when I was a child in Dreamland.
For two hundred years, since Romanticism, artists have had a sense of themselves as holy seers, with a sacred duty to burn as brightly as they can. Keats, dying of consumption, unintentionally set the pattern, Shelley and Byron reinforced it. Goethe sanctified it with Werther. Tennyson made King Arthur a Romantic hero.

Kennedy and Camelot brought the solar hero into my consciousness. I saw it everywhere from Buddy Holly and the flaming trio, through Jim, Janis, and Jimi, to Marilyn Monroe and James Dean, not to mention Bobby, Martin, and John.
Granted, the murdered men who have godhood imposed upon them by our mythologizing murdering minds are a different class than adherents of the cult of the dying artists, but there was such a cult, rooted in psychic needs which transformed Art, Mart, Bob, and Jack into images of the suffering servant.
The core of the cult is a belief that suffering sought has value.
And, of course, dying young or tragic can make one's rep. Publisher's find it lucrative to amortize artistic assets quickly.

That was my take when I was a child, and I have been stuck in dreamland since I read Mystery's distance read, but then I read Craig's personal account, and wonder if I have been full of shit all my life.

This was Shakespeare talking. Twain has left the building.
"What's so Funny about Peace, Love, and Understanding?"
Twain Shakespeare

Previous

Return to Philosophy / Psychology