View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Deep Freethought Videos by Darryl Sloan - Very Genuine!

Discuss Philosophical or Psychological subjects and topics.

Deep Freethought Videos by Darryl Sloan - Very Genuine!

Postby Scepcop » 03 Oct 2010, 17:19

Darryl Sloan is one of the most aware freethinkers on YouTube. A true European intellectual (Irish), he is the ideal type of person to have a deep conversation with over a campfire or near a warm fireplace. His deep thought videos are very stimulating and thought provoking, as well as sincere. He is very much worth listening to. Here are some of his videos.

Adversity in nature vs. oneness

Description:

The entire natural world operates on a principle we might call "adversarial," in that one thing requires energy from another thing in order to survive. How does this fit with the spiritual understanding that behind the universe everything is one? Should we learn to transcend our natural egos in favour of loving everyone and everything, or is there perhaps nothing wrong with us just as we are?

Here is a deep dissertation by Darryl Sloan about "oneness".

More on his YouTube channel at:

http://www.youtube.com/darrylsloan

Download his free ebook "I, Universe" at:

http://www.darrylsloan.com

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: Nature is adversarial vs oneness

Postby Arouet » 03 Oct 2010, 19:53

Scepcop wrote:Wow this is how a TRUE SKEPTIC thinks!

For someone with a site about skepticism, you seem to have absolutely no idea what the word means. Skepticism is about belief based on reliable evidence. I'm not trying to be insulting, but you really need to go back to the basics. Learn what critical thinking is. Learn what the scientific method is. Then you'll have an idea of what skepticism is. Skepticism is a method of thinking: its not: well, this just occurred to me, and so I believe it, as this guy does in his video.
Arouet

Postby Craig Browning » 04 Oct 2010, 00:59

Winston... pick up a copy of James Redfield's CELESTINE PROPHECY... it taught the exact same thing this clown is saying 20 some years ago and Redfield "borrowed" the ideas from even older sources. Yes, it is a plausible scenario, one that can aid folks in developing a better understanding of the self and how we interact with all things and how all things teach us. But one must also employ the rest of this MetaPHYSICAL ideology -- I emphasize "physical" because we live in what our mind believes to be, a tangible/physical realm and thus, we must EXIST HERE AND NOW not on some fantastic plane of emotional departure.

BALANCE is the key behind it all and sadly, those that become overly fascinated by rhetoric of this sort, the conspiracy crapola, etc. is not displaying any hint of balance. The surprising (for most) thing is that the majority of atheist (and I'm not speaking of the fanatics) actually do express the kind of serenity and zen-like attitudes all of these New Age clones charge folks to learn about and develop.

After you read the aforementioned book, get the workbook that goes with it and work the steps... then, if you believe you're gaining some clarity on things, track down a Buddhist cleric and start moving down that road. I think you'll find that the world isn't as terrible and terrifying or even as filled with boogiemen, as you presently focus on. ;)
Craig Browning

Postby Arouet » 04 Oct 2010, 01:10

Gosh, skip the Celestine prohesies, and go straight to buddhism, if you want to go down that road. Buddhism actually has a pretty skeptical approach.
Arouet

Postby Craig Browning » 05 Oct 2010, 00:40

Arouet wrote:Gosh, skip the Celestine prohesies, and go straight to buddhism, if you want to go down that road. Buddhism actually has a pretty skeptical approach.

Even the Dahlia Lama has stated this, pointing out (when asked) that Buddhism is a form of Atheism if you break it down far enough; it's views on a "Higher Power" pertaining to self-elevation and the "Higher Self" vs. some kind of literal God.

My suggestion of the Redfield material (book one and the study guide ONLY) is because it mirrors so much of what this YouTube genius is espousing as the gospel (according to him).

Whenever I see one of this guys I can't help but shake my head in wonder given all the knowledge I have and just how far I could push things should I ever find sufficient larceny and callous within my being, so as to start my own cult. :twisted:
Craig Browning

Postby Arouet » 05 Oct 2010, 00:49

The focus of this thread should be whether the man in the video be considered a "TRUE SKEPTIC" (as OP claims), or not a skeptic at all (at least from what we know of that video) as I have claimed. I stand to be corrected, but on a site devoted to exposing pseudo-skepticism, if this guy is the standard of what a skeptic actually is, then the whole site is completely off kilter and in bizarro land.
Arouet

Postby Craig Browning » 05 Oct 2010, 23:41

I'd have to agree with you there, this site does tend to be far more a billboard for conspiracy theories and paranoia at times... some of it just a bit too "out there" but as they say, that's just my take on things. :roll:
Craig Browning

Re: Adversity in Nature vs. Universal Oneness - Darryl Sloan

Postby Scepcop » 20 Jun 2012, 03:17

Here in his review of a book by Alan Watts, Darryl Sloan explains how Watts harmonizes the contradiction between the conflicts/adversity in nature with the concept of "we are all one" or "universal oneness and monism". The quote by Watts is intriguing.

http://darrylslibrary.wordpress.com/201 ... lan-watts/

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are by Alan Watts

MAY 10
Posted by Darryl

I’m frequently disappointed by what passes for spirituality, from a non-dualist perspective. Quite often, there is a crafty repackaging of salvation woven into an author’s sales pitch, or there is a totally unrealistic descent into a spiritual pipedream of “universal love.”

Alan Watts, happily, manages to be both a non-dualist and a down-to-earth realist. In recent years, one of the most interesting dilemmas I went through was the clash between non-dualism (which says that everything is one) and LaVeyan Satanism (which grasps that the universe is adversarial). I rate both of these observations as true, but the latter one is often missed. Watts gets it. He describes existence within the universe as “a harmony of contained conflicts,” understanding that it cannot be any other way, by virtue of the dualistic predicament of all life.

This was a fabulous read. It began with a suggestion of how non-dualism can be explained to young children, as a better alternative to the “God made the universe” stereotype. Watts goes on to tackle non-dualism from a vector that had never even occurred to me: our inability to separate the human organism from the environment around it. We naturally think of the self as a human body – a distinct unit isolated from what is around it. But the air that is breathed into the body from the environment and the carbon dioxide that is breathed out are just as essential to the body as the blood that circulates within. The body cannot be isolated from its environment, nor can the immediate environment be isolated from the planet, the planet from the solar system, and so on. The division of self into body and environment is arbitrary – merely an act of labelling. There is no “you” independent of everything else – only an organism within a super-organism, i.e. the universe itself.

Many times in the book, Watts made observations that were profound, simple, and obviously true, yet so easily missed until pointed out. Chief among them was our conditioned way of thinking, “I came into this world,” when it is far more accurate to say “I came out of the universe.” A person is like the eyes of the universe, which is gazing at itself. Watts has a way of describing life on earth that makes the materialism of atheists seem absurd. Atheists commonly think of the universe as something unconscious. But since man came out of (not into) the universe, and man is conscious, does this not mean that the universe must be conscious?

The balance of nature, the “harmony of contained conflicts,” in which man thrives is a network of mutually interdependent organisms of the most astounding subtlety and complexity. Teilhard de Chardin has called it the “biosphere,” the film of living organisms which covers the original “geosphere,” the mineral planet. Lack of knowledge about the evolution of the organic from the “inorganic,” coupled with misleading myths about life coming “into” this world from somewhere “outside,” has made it difficult for us to see that the biosphere arises, or goes with, a certain degree of geological and astronomical evolution. But, as Douglas E. Harding has pointed out, we tend to think of this planet as a life-infested rock, which is as absurd as thinking of the human body as a cell-infested skeleton. Surely all forms of life, including man, must be understood as “symptoms” of the earth, the solar system, and the galaxy – in which case we cannot escape the conclusion that the galaxy is intelligent.

Watts is well versed in Eastern philosophy (Hinduism and Buddhism), and his writing serves as a useful bridge between very different cultures, helping us in the West to appreciate a wider metaphysical perspective outside of the cramped confines of Western materialism.

After reading this book, I want to get hold of everything that Watts has written.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 20 Jun 2012, 03:20

Craig Browning wrote:Winston... pick up a copy of James Redfield's CELESTINE PROPHECY... it taught the exact same thing this clown is saying 20 some years ago and Redfield "borrowed" the ideas from even older sources. Yes, it is a plausible scenario, one that can aid folks in developing a better understanding of the self and how we interact with all things and how all things teach us. But one must also employ the rest of this MetaPHYSICAL ideology -- I emphasize "physical" because we live in what our mind believes to be, a tangible/physical realm and thus, we must EXIST HERE AND NOW not on some fantastic plane of emotional departure.

BALANCE is the key behind it all and sadly, those that become overly fascinated by rhetoric of this sort, the conspiracy crapola, etc. is not displaying any hint of balance. The surprising (for most) thing is that the majority of atheist (and I'm not speaking of the fanatics) actually do express the kind of serenity and zen-like attitudes all of these New Age clones charge folks to learn about and develop.

After you read the aforementioned book, get the workbook that goes with it and work the steps... then, if you believe you're gaining some clarity on things, track down a Buddhist cleric and start moving down that road. I think you'll find that the world isn't as terrible and terrifying or even as filled with boogiemen, as you presently focus on. ;)

Dude, I read "The Celestine Prophecy" in 1994. It's old news. I would have thought that you would look down on such simplified New Age hogwash. But I liked it. It was an interesting book. So what do you want me to learn from it exactly?

There was a pretty good movie made about it too.
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: Deep Freethought Videos by Darryl Sloan - Very Genuine!

Postby Scepcop » 30 Oct 2012, 16:03

Darryl has a new updated version of his free ebook "I, Universe". Download it at:

http://www.darrylsloan.com

Here is his announcement about it:

Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: Deep Freethought Videos by Darryl Sloan - Very Genuine!

Postby Scepcop » 30 Oct 2012, 16:26

Here are some new recent deep thought videos by Darryl Sloan.

What is spiritual awakening?

Why universal love fails

I've never met an atheist in intensive care

Is belief a choice?

Can you change your sexual orientation?

The origin and fate of the universe

How do you tell your parents that you're not a Christian anymore?

Overcoming confusion about life

Non-duality: Insights and pitfalls of 4 years

What is authentic Christianity?

Do we have souls?

If I were Satan...

Are experiences meaningless?

How and why psychokinesis works

Scepcop
Site Admin

Return to Philosophy / Psychology