View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Happy Halloween Everyone! Enjoy the new theme!

Announcements and site updates.

Re: Happy Halloween Everyone! Enjoy the new theme!

Postby Arouet » 04 Nov 2012, 05:21

but not as easily!
Arouet

Postby NinjaPuppy » 04 Nov 2012, 07:24

Arouet wrote:but not as easily!

I'm so stuck in the old way of doing things, it's automatic to me. ;)
NinjaPuppy

Postby SydneyPSIder » 04 Nov 2012, 07:40

Scepcop wrote:
SydneyPSIder wrote:hyperlinks on posters' names and profiles, and a drop down menu on their names that lets you look at their content, or your own content, etc, send a PM, and what have you. probably nothing that exciting except the ability to click through to a profile if anyone has bothered to fill one out. now i think of it, i've been on hostile forums where people fill out no personal details at all and deliberately keep as anonymous as possible.

I told you. We already have that. Next to each post, there is a PM button to PM the poster. Their profile link also brings up their profile where you can search their posts. These features already existed in phpbb1 long ago. They are nothing new.

When I joined this site, I moused all over posts to attempt to find a hyperlink to go to a user's profile, and couldn't find it -- now you're telling me it's there somewhere on every post? Where is it? How do you do it? I can only see a PM and WWW buttons, and no other hotspots...

I agree with Arouet, the multi-quote replies are too cumbersome. There is no 'inline' or WYSIWYG formatting in text boxes where you can just hit Ctrl-B and see bold type face etc. Searching is presumably better, I used to make extensive use of searching on one of my other forums by poster and keyword, etc -- it helps to prevent duplicating topic content or to find interesting stats tucked away (maybe not relevant here!) Also a few laborious posts I've typed have been lost on hitting Submit, never to return, maybe there's some bugs there that have been taken out, or better features where your text is saved to a clipboard before posting in case something goes wrong.
SydneyPSIder

Postby NinjaPuppy » 04 Nov 2012, 07:50

Syd wrote:Also a few laborious posts I've typed have been lost on hitting Submit, never to return, maybe there's some bugs there that have been taken out, or better features where your text is saved to a clipboard before posting in case something goes wrong.

We've all had this happen and it makes me crazy when it does. I rarely bother to try to redo my original post.
NinjaPuppy

Postby SydneyPSIder » 04 Nov 2012, 08:27

NinjaPuppy wrote:
Syd wrote:Also a few laborious posts I've typed have been lost on hitting Submit, never to return, maybe there's some bugs there that have been taken out, or better features where your text is saved to a clipboard before posting in case something goes wrong.

We've all had this happen and it makes me crazy when it does. I rarely bother to try to redo my original post.

lol, I always retype mine word for word from memory.

In all seriousness, I've been on similar sites which were even more rudimentary where posters typed into Notepad and pasted into the posts just to be on the safe side every time. Another thing to do is to hit Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C at the end of every brilliant post out of habit before hitting 'Submit' to copy the text into the Windows clipboard. (Or Mac or Linux equivalents.) I haven't noticed the problem with newer phpbb builds on other sites however -- I don't know if it's a bug problem or a bandwidth/internet/hosting problem however.
SydneyPSIder

Postby Twain Shakespeare » 04 Nov 2012, 09:23

"A return to Normalcy!" Warren G Harding
"What's so Funny about Peace, Love, and Understanding?"
Twain Shakespeare

Postby Scepcop » 04 Nov 2012, 21:42

Arouet wrote:On skeptiko, try right clicking on the name of a poster - see the drop down menu with all the options. Also, go to their user page and you can also easily do things like see their last 225 posts, see any threads they started, send a PM, see when they last logged on, leave a message on their page, add them to your friend list to make PMing easier.

When you quote someone, the post they are quoting doesn't get quoted - so you can just respond to their most recent post and its clear.

Searching is a lot easier as well.

Also you can subscribe to threads

I think you can customize how you view threads much more easily as well.

I'm sure there's stuff that I'm forgetting.

They have done more than cosmetic changes and bug fixes.

Honestly, Scepcop, I'm not trying to be a jerk. I think if you want to have a popular forum people will be more likely to stay if the site is as up to date as other sites they are on.

Ok I see what you mean. But upgrading the forum isn't going to get those features. I have to install mods to add them. I'll look into it. Do you really need to add friends here or leave messages on people's walls? lol. Isn't that what Facebook is for?

I went into the admin panel and made it so that only 2 nested quotes are included when you reply. That should solve that problem. Do you prefer only to quote the last post? I think a limit of 2 nested posts is fine, don't you?

I agree that the search feature here is lame and if you enter something too common, it won't search for it. I may look into installing a Google search box instead.

The admin panel here says that you can subscribe to threads. But I don't see that feature anywhere. Does anyone see it? Maybe you have to click on the "Notify me when a reply is posted" box in the post form?

How do you want to view the thread other than the way it is?
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 04 Nov 2012, 21:56

SydneyPSIder wrote:When I joined this site, I moused all over posts to attempt to find a hyperlink to go to a user's profile, and couldn't find it -- now you're telling me it's there somewhere on every post? Where is it? How do you do it? I can only see a PM and WWW buttons, and no other hotspots...

I agree with Arouet, the multi-quote replies are too cumbersome. There is no 'inline' or WYSIWYG formatting in text boxes where you can just hit Ctrl-B and see bold type face etc. Searching is presumably better, I used to make extensive use of searching on one of my other forums by poster and keyword, etc -- it helps to prevent duplicating topic content or to find interesting stats tucked away (maybe not relevant here!) Also a few laborious posts I've typed have been lost on hitting Submit, never to return, maybe there's some bugs there that have been taken out, or better features where your text is saved to a clipboard before posting in case something goes wrong.

Maybe only admins and moderators can see it? I don't know. I'll try logging out and see. Have you tried clicking the username of the poster?

If the submit button results in an error, use the back button on the browser and your post should still be there. That usually works for me. If you are writing a long post, make sure you use Control-A and then Control-C to select all text and copy it into the clipboard memory, in case your post gets lost. Do this every once in a while and before you hit submit.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 04 Nov 2012, 22:07

SydneyPSIder wrote:When I joined this site, I moused all over posts to attempt to find a hyperlink to go to a user's profile, and couldn't find it -- now you're telling me it's there somewhere on every post? Where is it? How do you do it? I can only see a PM and WWW buttons, and no other hotspots...

Ok I just logged out and checked it out. Yes you can click the user name of each poster to bring up their profile. From there, you can search the user's posts. For example, here is your profile page:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1306

All members can do it, not just guests. Try clicking my username for example. When you click on "search user's posts" you will see a list of their posts. Try it. Is that enough for you?
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Arouet » 04 Nov 2012, 22:20

It doesn't let me click on your username
Arouet

Postby Newbie Test » 05 Nov 2012, 07:34

I tried it with my test login and no, you can't click on members names and get their profiles. I believe that needs to be activated in the Admin controls.
BTW, this is NinjaPuppy.
Newbie Test

Postby SydneyPSIder » 05 Nov 2012, 15:50

Scepcop wrote:

Maybe only admins and moderators can see it? I don't know. I'll try logging out and see. Have you tried clicking the username of the poster?

If the submit button results in an error, use the back button on the browser and your post should still be there. That usually works for me. If you are writing a long post, make sure you use Control-A and then Control-C to select all text and copy it into the clipboard memory, in case your post gets lost. Do this every once in a while and before you hit submit.

The entire post usually isn't there, the text is only retained up to the point where I hit 'Reply' and it generated something. So if I responded to someone, it only shows the quoted text and none of my new reply when I hit 'back'. If I went in and edited my post to add an afterthought (which I do often) and it fails to submit, when I hit 'back' it returns me to the last successfully saved edit. I don't hit 'Save' at all, maybe I should -- unless that crashes and loses text too! (Just tried saving then and it came up with a couple of screens and then I don't know what happened to the saved corro! lol. Oh hang on, there's a 'Load' button now -- it's all a bit clunky, and involved several screens and delays, I'm better off just hitting Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C reflexively before I submit...)

Re the fact that I have never been able to click on a profile name and they show no hyperlinks, I don't know what's going on.
SydneyPSIder

Postby SydneyPSIder » 05 Nov 2012, 15:52

Arouet wrote:It doesn't let me click on your username

Newbie Test wrote:I tried it with my test login and no, you can't click on members names and get their profiles. I believe that needs to be activated in the Admin controls.
BTW, this is NinjaPuppy.

Jesus, Mary and Joseph! Fair suck of the saveloy, ScepCop!
SydneyPSIder

Postby Scepcop » 07 Nov 2012, 00:29

SydneyPSIder wrote:The entire post usually isn't there, the text is only retained up to the point where I hit 'Reply' and it generated something. So if I responded to someone, it only shows the quoted text and none of my new reply when I hit 'back'. If I went in and edited my post to add an afterthought (which I do often) and it fails to submit, when I hit 'back' it returns me to the last successfully saved edit. I don't hit 'Save' at all, maybe I should -- unless that crashes and loses text too! (Just tried saving then and it came up with a couple of screens and then I don't know what happened to the saved corro! lol. Oh hang on, there's a 'Load' button now -- it's all a bit clunky, and involved several screens and delays, I'm better off just hitting Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C reflexively before I submit...)

Re the fact that I have never been able to click on a profile name and they show no hyperlinks, I don't know what's going on.

That is strange. When I hit the back button it still shows the text I typed. Maybe it's because I use Firefox and Google Chrome, while you use IE browser? Please ditch IE browser. It's terrible and sucks and has too many bugs.
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 07 Nov 2012, 00:37

Newbie Test wrote:I tried it with my test login and no, you can't click on members names and get their profiles. I believe that needs to be activated in the Admin controls.
BTW, this is NinjaPuppy.

I looked in the admin panel and could not find any settings that allowed usernames to be clicked on. Strange. What can I do? When I logged out, as a guest, I could click on user names, but it brought me to a log in screen.
Scepcop
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements