View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

A machine that can cause ghosts to be sensed

Discuss Science, Alternative Science and Suppressed Research.

A machine that can cause ghosts to be sensed

Postby Nostradamus » 10 Mar 2010, 01:45

No idea if this is correct or not, but it is about ghosts

From http://users.iafrica.com/s/sa/salbu/apollo/HumA2.html

The Abstract is given here
In this paper we outline an as yet undocumented natural cause for some cases of ostensible haunting. Using the first author's own experience as an example, we show how a 19hz standing air wave may under certain conditions create sensory phenomena suggestive of a ghost. The mechanics and physiology of this 'ghost in the machine' effect is outlined. Spontaneous case researchers are encouraged to rule out this potential natural explanation for paranormal experience in future cases of the haunting or poltergeistic type.

The rest of the article is worth reading since it shows a way to create a ghost feeling. I think that this effect would also be great in a magic act or a fun house or an amusement park.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Re: A machine that can cause ghosts to be sensed

Postby Nostradamus » 10 Mar 2010, 10:11

It seems that this idea has been put to the test at least once.

From http://scientificinquiry.suite101.com/article.cfm/infrasound_and_ghosts
In May 2003 Dr. Richard Lord, an acoustic scientist at the National Physical Laboratory in England, and Professor Richard Wiseman, a psychologist at the University of Hertfordshire, conducted an experiment.

Dr. Lord and his colleagues staged a concert for 750 people. Four pieces of music were performed. Without telling the audience, Dr. Lord used a seven-meter pipe to produce infrasound during two of the pieces. Afterward, audience members were asked to describe their response to the music. Although unaware of the infrasound, 22% reported feeling chills, revulsion and fear when it was added to the music.
Nostradamus

Postby Nostradamus » 10 Mar 2010, 10:17

The more I looked up about the paper I originally bumped into the more I learned about this idea.

From http://www.parascience.org.uk/mkgf.htm
This is a unique experiment prompted by the work of the late Vic Tandy from Coventry University. He produced a series of papers putting forward the hypothesis that infrasound may cause some individuals to have unusual experiences that they may subsequently believe to be paranormal (Tandy & Lawrence, 1998; Tandy, 2000). Subsequent papers (e.g. O'Keeffe & Angliss, 2004; Wiseman et al, 2003) have examined the link either as one of several proposed links (e.g. Infrasound associated with emotional response to music) or merely put forward a tentative link (e.g. Fielding & O'Keeffe, 2006).

As part of the 2005 Ghost Fest Vic Tandy undertook ambient Infrasound measurements at several areas within Mary King's Close and discovered that in two of the areas said to be haunted, infrasound energy was found to be around 20dB higher than in other parts of the Close.

So it looks like there may or may not be a link here. As in many areas of research it is no easy to determine what is happening.
Nostradamus

Postby NucleicAcid » 29 Mar 2010, 12:04

That's really cool. I've read about this effect a lot, though I haven't seen much of putting it into practice, until now. It makes me wonder if certain apartments that make me feel extra lousy exhibit these characteristics.
Hey, you there. Yes, you. Read more journal articles.

If what I say sounds like the teacher from Charlie Brown (Wah wahh woohh wuh waah), then you should try college. It's fun, and only costs you your soul and several tens of thousands of dollars. :)

“I agree that by the standards of any other area of science that remote viewing is proven“ - Richard Wiseman

Let's make directional hypotheses, test them repeatedly, replicate experiments, and publish results! Yay, science!
NucleicAcid

Return to Science / Alternative Science / Suppressed Research