View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Dowsing rods for bomb detection

Discuss Science, Alternative Science and Suppressed Research.

Re: Dowsing rods for bomb detection

Postby ProfWag » 03 Mar 2010, 05:04

Raise your hand up high if you would allow your son or daughter to use a dowser in a field in Afghanastan. C'mon, make sure it's way, way up there for us all to see!
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3846
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Dowsing rods for bomb detection

Postby Nostradamus » 03 Mar 2010, 05:06

I do not subscribe to ID or Creationism. That won't be issue. I'm more interested than ever to see what ID has to do with this.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
User avatar
Nostradamus
 
Posts: 1761
Joined: 08 Aug 2009, 14:08

Re: Dowsing rods for bomb detection

Postby Craig Browning » 03 Mar 2010, 05:10

Nostradamus wrote:I do not subscribe to ID or Creationism. That won't be issue. I'm more interested than ever to see what ID has to do with this.


:lol:

I'll give you a hint or two... :lol: locating water is apparently nature or "innate" to mammals in particular given how Elephants, Donkeys and and others will walk for miles to specific areas then dig as individuals or groups, finding water that is reasonably close to the surface... other animals demonstrate this same kind of ability. Given the fact that we too are livestock, it makes sense that in primitive times we had this same innate ability... ENTER: Mr. Darwin :mrgreen:
User avatar
Craig Browning
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 05:20
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: Dowsing rods for bomb detection

Postby ProfWag » 04 Mar 2010, 04:06

ProfWag wrote:Raise your hand up high if you would allow your son or daughter to use a dowser in a field in Afghanistan. C'mon, make sure it's way, way up there for us all to see!

Still waiting for someone's hand to go up...
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3846
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Dowsing rods for bomb detection

Postby NinjaPuppy » 04 Mar 2010, 04:18

Image
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Dowsing rods for bomb detection

Postby ProfWag » 04 Mar 2010, 05:43

NinjaPuppy wrote:Image

Okay, there's 1!
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3846
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Dowsing rods for bomb detection

Postby Nostradamus » 04 Mar 2010, 11:01

I've seen elephants digging and accessing water. They don't dowse. They go to places water has been. They dig in dried oxbow lakes. They dig in dry river beds. They only dig a few feet down. They don't dowse. They return to places they are familiar with where water is found on the surface during part of the year.

I just realized something Craig and wanted to edit my post. I realized that I had been led to believe from my observations and from others in the area that what I posted above is correct. Are you aware of situations in which animals find water in locations that is not within say a meter or so of the surface?
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
User avatar
Nostradamus
 
Posts: 1761
Joined: 08 Aug 2009, 14:08

Re: Dowsing rods for bomb detection

Postby ProfWag » 04 Mar 2010, 22:06

Craig Browning wrote: :lol:

I'll give you a hint or two... :lol: locating water is apparently nature or "innate" to mammals in particular given how Elephants, Donkeys and and others will walk for miles to specific areas then dig as individuals or groups, finding water that is reasonably close to the surface... other animals demonstrate this same kind of ability. Given the fact that we too are livestock, it makes sense that in primitive times we had this same innate ability... ENTER: Mr. Darwin :mrgreen:

From Sci Pry;
"They cannot survive more than 24 hours without drinking. That's why elephants are never too far from a water source. Water is also essential for bathing each evening. Elephants are good swimmers and will immerse themselves completely when they find water deep enough. By covering themselves with dirt, elephants protect themselves against insect bites.

If water is scarce during the dry season, elephants dig for water in the sandy bed of a river that has stopped flowing."
Doesn't sound very paranormal to me...
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3846
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Dowsing rods for bomb detection

Postby NinjaPuppy » 04 Mar 2010, 23:29

ProfWag wrote:If water is scarce during the dry season, elephants dig for water in the sandy bed of a river that has stopped flowing."
Doesn't sound very paranormal to me...

IMO it's more of an instinct or learned behavior thing that ties in with that whole survival instinct. I also think that since humans have evolved and have replaced basic survival instinct with thinking, we tend to believe that any throwback to that human survival instinct might be deemed paranormal.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Dowsing rods for bomb detection

Postby Nostradamus » 04 Mar 2010, 23:49

One of the times I saw elephants digging was kind of surprising to me at first. It was less than 100m from the Zambezi river. Later I saw crocs along the river. Also the digging spot was in the shade. No idea of these were reasons the elephants were digging, but from the splashing and carrying it was pretty clear they enjoyed what they were doing.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
User avatar
Nostradamus
 
Posts: 1761
Joined: 08 Aug 2009, 14:08

Re: Dowsing rods for bomb detection

Postby NinjaPuppy » 05 Mar 2010, 00:21

I'm glad that I only own dogs. I can imagine what an elephant would do to my yard.

Owning four dogs of different breeds, I know that in their younger years the digging is probably some natural thing. As they get older, two of them have given up digging to China but two will still dig to make a depression in cooler ground and enjoy that hole for the afternoon. I had one dog that used to dig what I called subways. He was a mixed breed that created an entire underground system of gopher holes that was one complete connected underground maze. He rarely came to the surface and I never knew which opening he would pop out of. I never understood what compelled him to do this.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Dowsing rods for bomb detection

Postby Craig Browning » 05 Mar 2010, 00:52

But NinjaPuppy... check out the movie George of the Jungle and you'll see how much fun a pet efalant can be. :lol:

Before I address the Elephant issue I need to clarify another misconception; DOWSING IS NOT AND NEVER HAS BEEN CONSIDERED PARANORMAL in fact, most dowsers seek to distance themselves from Psychics, Occultists, etc. because they view what they do as a science not some kind of boggieman thing were Uncle Nermal is guiding them, etc.

The Dowsing Theory when it comes to animals and in particular the Elephant or those with horns, is that the tusk, horns, etc. act much like the Dowsing Rod but it's simple a part of the beast. The human parallel seems to come from those Dowsers that can sense things via sensations in their feet, hands or sometimes the whole body though this is considered rare, in regards to "natural" phenomenon and "advanced" for those that have consciously applied themselves to learn dowsing from the basics of pendulum work, up.

Many people, but especially skeptics wrongly connect dowsing to the supernatural as the result of a Papal Bull made in the middle ages sometime, that associated Dowsing with the devil (even though many characters in the bible dowsed as did various aspects of the clergy). The real irony is how many times since the mid-1800s the Vatican has documented and even honored the work of several European Dowsers, as has various aspects of the Scientific and Scholastic communities both, in Europe as well as the U.S., USSR, and other nations.

Another reason Dowsing is wrongly associated with Magick & Witchery, etc. is because some shamanic traditions of that sort (Wicca, Druidism, etc.) practice a form of Scrying that uses a Pendulum...Webster refers to it as "Map Dowsing" in his book. Regardless, those that are sincere students and patrons of Dowsing are quite adamant when it comes to distancing themselves from such associations. Webster even mentions a time when he was told to leave a lecture on dowsing by a lady who recognized him, knowing him as a Psychic... go figure! :lol:
User avatar
Craig Browning
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 05:20
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: Dowsing rods for bomb detection

Postby ProfWag » 05 Mar 2010, 01:30

Craig Browning wrote:But NinjaPuppy... check out the movie George of the Jungle and you'll see how much fun a pet efalant can be. :lol:

Before I address the Elephant issue I need to clarify another misconception; DOWSING IS NOT AND NEVER HAS BEEN CONSIDERED PARANORMAL in fact, most dowsers seek to distance themselves from Psychics, Occultists, etc. because they view what they do as a science not some kind of boggieman thing were Uncle Nermal is guiding them, etc.

The Dowsing Theory when it comes to animals and in particular the Elephant or those with horns, is that the tusk, horns, etc. act much like the Dowsing Rod but it's simple a part of the beast. The human parallel seems to come from those Dowsers that can sense things via sensations in their feet, hands or sometimes the whole body though this is considered rare, in regards to "natural" phenomenon and "advanced" for those that have consciously applied themselves to learn dowsing from the basics of pendulum work, up.

Many people, but especially skeptics wrongly connect dowsing to the supernatural as the result of a Papal Bull made in the middle ages sometime, that associated Dowsing with the devil (even though many characters in the bible dowsed as did various aspects of the clergy). The real irony is how many times since the mid-1800s the Vatican has documented and even honored the work of several European Dowsers, as has various aspects of the Scientific and Scholastic communities both, in Europe as well as the U.S., USSR, and other nations.

Another reason Dowsing is wrongly associated with Magick & Witchery, etc. is because some shamanic traditions of that sort (Wicca, Druidism, etc.) practice a form of Scrying that uses a Pendulum...Webster refers to it as "Map Dowsing" in his book. Regardless, those that are sincere students and patrons of Dowsing are quite adamant when it comes to distancing themselves from such associations. Webster even mentions a time when he was told to leave a lecture on dowsing by a lady who recognized him, knowing him as a Psychic... go figure! :lol:

Dowsing is unexplanable by science - hence, paranormal.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3846
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Dowsing rods for bomb detection

Postby Craig Browning » 05 Mar 2010, 01:56

Read the Webster book and you'll find all sorts of studies over several hundred years in which Science actually supported and verified dowsing though it couldn't be "explained... but then we know, understand and use electricity even though we can't explain it or magnetic energy and the hows & whys of it and many other things we've learned to tame and manipulate.

To the typical person Paranormal" infers things dealing with ghosts and certain facets of the psychic world. This has been the understanding to the term for a hell of a long time and as best I can tell, it was superimposed onto several "non-related" areas over the past 30-40 years; things like UFOs, Big Foot, Fairies, and that strange mutation in the Southwestern U.S. & Mexico (chacocubra?) :lol:

Dowsing, at least by way of those that work it, is considered 100% natural.
User avatar
Craig Browning
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 05:20
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: Dowsing rods for bomb detection

Postby ProfWag » 05 Mar 2010, 03:10

Craig Browning wrote:
Dowsing, at least by way of those that work it, is considered 100% natural.

So is astrology, tarot reading, and homeopathic medicine.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3846
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

PreviousNext

Return to Science / Alternative Science / Suppressed Research

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest