View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

New study reveals paranormal investigators winning...

Discuss Science, Alternative Science and Suppressed Research.

New study reveals paranormal investigators winning...

Postby really? » 26 Oct 2012, 05:10

at being “scientifical”
The omnipresence of paranormal entertainment piqued the interest of Paul Brewer, professor of communication at the University of Delaware, who wondered what makes viewers believe — or disbelieve — what they see on the screen.

His resulting study, recently published in the journal Science Communication, examines the influence of media messages about paranormal investigators on how people perceive the investigators’ credibility.

One version of the article described a paranormal investigator’s “scientific” approach to his work, including his use of various instruments, items Brewer describes as “trappings of science.”

One specifically mentioned in the article is an electromagnetic field (EMF) detector, used to locate sources of electricity. Members of the group who read this article were much more likely to call the investigators scientific and credible, as well as to believe in the paranormal. Brewer said the findings could trouble paranormal skeptics.

Interesting. I’m going to try to get a copy of this paper since it’s exactly the topic I researched as well.

I’m not surprised at the results, that people appeared to be “blinded with science”. They get their idea of what a scientist is supposed to look like by television. Hint – so do these non-scientist paranormal investigators. It’s not real science, it’s a sham, but apparently, it works.

Here is more on this topic.

Amateur Paranormal Research and Investigation Groups Doing ‘Sciencey’ Things
http://www.csicop.org/si/show/amateur_p ... cey_things

Read, discuss and share your thoughts if you like.
Last edited by really? on 26 Oct 2012, 09:20, edited 2 times in total.
really?

Re: New study reveals paranormal investigators winning...

Postby Arouet » 26 Oct 2012, 05:13

Let's also be careful not to confuse "paranormal investigator" with "parapsychologist"
Arouet

Postby NinjaPuppy » 26 Oct 2012, 07:02

I don't get the entire gist of the article.

I can't tell if you (really?) commented inbetween sentences or if this is a copy and paste direct from the internet.
NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 26 Oct 2012, 07:10

Arouet wrote:Let's also be careful not to confuse "paranormal investigator" with "parapsychologist"

Do you have particular definitions that you would care to use?

In particular, what are the academic requirements to be a parapsychologist?
NinjaPuppy

Postby Arouet » 26 Oct 2012, 08:31

NinjaPuppy wrote:
Arouet wrote:Let's also be careful not to confuse "paranormal investigator" with "parapsychologist"

A phd and publishing in peer reviewed journals.
Arouet

Postby NinjaPuppy » 26 Oct 2012, 08:31

His resulting study examines the influence of media messages about paranormal investigators on how people perceive the investigators’ credibility.

Since a paranormal investigator requires no education or formal training (that I can think of) for the job, I would think that any sort of credibility would be based on the quality of any collected evidence. Not to mention how much an investigator knows about the equipment that they use on any investigation.

The media highlighted paranormal investigators are also paid actors. Do you know of any studies of how people perceive the characters that actors play and how many people can't really make the separation?
NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 26 Oct 2012, 08:33

Arouet wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:

A phd and publishing in peer reviewed journals.

Thanks! I couldn't find a simple answer.
NinjaPuppy

Postby really? » 26 Oct 2012, 09:21

NinjaPuppy wrote:I don't get the entire gist of the article.

I can't tell if you (really?) commented inbetween sentences or if this is a copy and paste direct from the internet.

I pasted it.
really?

Postby SydneyPSIder » 26 Oct 2012, 10:54

The Stargate Project found a significant psi effect. Talk of how 'scientistical' people's impressions are of investigators etc is simply moot. It's a pseudoscep distraction. Real research could be being done rather than talking about people's 'impressions' affect their beliefs etc.
SydneyPSIder

Postby really? » 26 Oct 2012, 21:53

SydneyPSIder wrote:The Stargate Project found a significant psi effect. Talk of how 'scientistical' people's impressions are of investigators etc is simply moot. It's a pseudoscep distraction. Real research could be being done rather than talking about people's 'impressions' affect their beliefs etc.

Really !? Surprising how easily you believe what the government says about a government run project when it's something you believe in yet disregard what the government says is true when it's not something you believe.
These are not impressions these are facts. Studying the role beliefs play for how people determine what is true is interesting, informative and on a personal level directly relates at getting to the real true.
really?

Postby Arouet » 26 Oct 2012, 22:37

really? wrote:Really !? Surprising how easily you believe what the government says about a government run project when it's something you believe in yet disregard what the government says is true when it's not something you believe.

Lol! good point! I missed that!
Arouet

Postby NinjaPuppy » 27 Oct 2012, 00:11

really? wrote:Studying the role beliefs play for how people determine what is true is interesting, informative and on a personal level directly relates at getting to the real true.

OMG, am I confused.
NinjaPuppy

Postby SydneyPSIder » 27 Oct 2012, 20:37

really? wrote:
SydneyPSIder wrote:The Stargate Project found a significant psi effect. Talk of how 'scientistical' people's impressions are of investigators etc is simply moot. It's a pseudoscep distraction. Real research could be being done rather than talking about people's 'impressions' affect their beliefs etc.

Really !? Surprising how easily you believe what the government says about a government run project when it's something you believe in yet disregard what the government says is true when it's not something you believe.
These are not impressions these are facts. Studying the role beliefs play for how people determine what is true is interesting, informative and on a personal level directly relates at getting to the real true.

Depends on whether the govt has a need to lie or not. Of course I read it in wikipedia and everything in wikipedia is true.

The possibilities are that the govt was lying, or that the source of information is fictitious.

The claim that a significant effect was found needs to be tested -- instead of you going off to do even one scintilla of research on that, you've instead reached for the pseudoscep playbook and tried to pick little holes in reasoning. Your reasoning is 'the govt sometimes lies about some things, therefore the govt always lies about everything'. As though every part of the govt is somehow interconnected in one giant web of miasmic untruth. The illogic or unlikelihood of your premise should be immediately obvious.

It seems you've have a tiny prick of discomfort in your tidy belief system, and a pseudoscep cannot feel discomfort.
SydneyPSIder

Postby SydneyPSIder » 27 Oct 2012, 21:36

http://www.lfr.org/lfr/csl/library/AirReport.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_Project

The Stargate Project was terminated in 1995 following an independent review which concluded:

Even though a statistically significant effect has been observed in the laboratory, it remains unclear whether the existence of a paranormal phenomenon, remote viewing, has been demonstrated. The laboratory studies do not provide evidence regarding the origins or nature of the phenomenon, assuming it exists, nor do they address an important methodological issue of inter-judge reliability.

— Executive summary, "An Evaluation of Remote Viewing: Research and Applications", American Institutes for Research, Sept. 29, 1995[4]
SydneyPSIder

Postby really? » 27 Oct 2012, 22:25

SydneyPSIder wrote:
really? wrote:

Depends on whether the govt has a need to lie or not. Of course I read it in wikipedia and everything in wikipedia is true.

The possibilities are that the govt was lying, or that the source of information is fictitious.

The claim that a significant effect was found needs to be tested -- instead of you going off to do even one scintilla of research on that, you've instead reached for the pseudoscep playbook and tried to pick little holes in reasoning. Your reasoning is 'the govt sometimes lies about some things, therefore the govt always lies about everything'. As though every part of the govt is somehow interconnected in one giant web of miasmic untruth. The illogic or unlikelihood of your premise should be immediately obvious.

It seems you've have a tiny prick of discomfort in your tidy belief system, and a pseudoscep cannot feel discomfort.

You should have stated the bold text in the first place. But you didn't; instead you stated:
The Stargate Project found a significant psi effect.

I've been interested in this long before you were a twinkle in you daddy's eye and far less impressed by unverified claims which remain unverified.
really?

Next

Return to Science / Alternative Science / Suppressed Research