Sponsors: Expat Living Forum

View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Mobile Version          Join Mailing List

It's Magick!

Discuss Spirituality, Share Spiritual Teachings and Lessons.

It's Magick!

Postby Craig Browning » Tue May 18, 2010 6:28 pm

Share |

It’s Magick!

This is a response to the thread (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=858 )started by ProfWag back in January concerning a Witch/Psychic’s ability to change one’s future. As I was attempting to respond in a manner that was both, to the point as well as informative, I kept tripping over my own two feet by getting a bit ahead of things so that being the case, I’ve started this thread in hope of keeping things a bit more “on track”

First Things First… YOU are the only pilot flying this thing called “your life” and thus, YOU are the only one that can change a bloody thing about it.

True, you can gain assistance from others that surround you in life (family, friends, co-workers, etc) but the decisions and actions (or lack there of) all fall on you, your attitudes, and so forth. As James Allen says in his treatise “As a Man Thinketh” it is our thinking that can make a heav’n of hell or vice versa.

I wanted to state this up-front so as to help everyone understand my position with things; while I’m very much a spiritually oriented person, I’m a realist. There are not magickle charms, incantations or elixirs out there that will simply “fix it”… end of story!

Now for the Confounding Part… sometimes we need a placebo in order to incite our psyche and thus inspire action; right action!

Placebos come in many forms, for some folks it’s a leather-bound suppository filled with eloquent wordage and flowery metaphor that simply seems to be “right” while others of us need to be able to hold, smell and dissect things before investing some semblance of “faith” into them and thus, allowing them to aid us in ways beneficial and healing. But then you have folks like my self, who work hard as straddling these two extremes in order to host the type of understanding that permits both, empathy and communication to the greater majority of the world’s population when it comes to issues of the fantastic, mortality and the journey of the human soul.

The advertising ProfWag referred to gave to us the suggestion that someone had magickle abilities that could transform one’s future; an ad type that causes me to raise an eyebrow in that it is a very common “lure” for the predator type operator that’s fishing for more marks.

Who is the Most Likely Mark? you ask.

> The young, naive and new to the big world (16-25)

> Seniors (55+) who are homebound, lonely, strongly religious, facing their mortality, etc.

> The desperate & “hopeless”

> The Angry & Bitter

> Race (Hispanics, Blacks and certain Asian groups host strong superstitions)

> Economic Status (the super poor tend to be more “religious” and thus, more readily manipulated as the result of poverty/desperation and belief that “god” can fix things)

> Nationality/Cultural Influences – sadly this is where we hit one other factor “Immigration Status” – Illegal Aliens are an optimum target because they don’t feel that they can report an abuse without being deported, etc. Predators love them; but especially so when these immigrants come from a seriously superstitious culture.

Within this area of “Culture” we also have to look at “Environment” because of some special circumstances found in the U.S. (particularly), like the Native American reservation system and the social stigma that exists in the minds of the Indians. In some instances the sense of oppression can prove daunting. Add to this the cultural and spiritual/religious influences and again, you find a near perfect mark… just hope and pray they don’t figure you out though; things can get very painful in such instances.

One of the ironies I see in this list of “types” sought out by predators is how they are the very same target audience exploited by Tv Evangelists and their Tent Revival cohorts that traverse the nation, focused on small town America (if you haven’t seen it, get it! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104695/ )

Magickle Work & Traditional Ethos
When it comes to the “earth religions” like Wicca/Witchcraft, Shamanism, etc we are viewing what used to be known as the world of “Low” magick. It was 100% nature bound and exceptionally simple in that it catered to communities filled with “ignorant” people; while they knew the “magick” of agriculture, the cycles of the year, etc. they viewed things like Writing, Math, etc as being “high magick”, something reserved for noblemen, the clergy (such as the Druids and Temple priests, not the Christian element per se). In the past couple of generations the lines between these two areas of practice have been deliberately blurred by the good spiritually oriented capitalists of the New Age movement, but we needn’t go there for now…

The realities when it comes to the magic known to our ancestors, is that it was the closest thing they had to science in that most of what these “wise ones” did, was based on centuries of accumulated knowledge pertaining to herbs, plant and animal life and how such things aided in healing; elements that today’s science is able to refine and synthesize which, to a very limited and crude degree, the not so remote ancestors of ours also did, but creating “tonics” and “elixirs” that were typically used to ward off illness or infections, etc. Psychologically, because these primitive people hadn’t the language or even associative knowledge to call upon, these curatives were viewed as “Magick” or, if we get biblical about it, the casting out of demons. But, there is a psychology at work in 90% of said work, which brings us back to what I said in the opening of this little tract; the fact that our destiny is entirely upon our own shoulders.

What makes most Magick work is what we refer to most as the Placebo Effect and/or “Self-Fulfilling Prophecy”. That is to say, the “spell” plants a seed within our psyche that stimulates us to take certain actions (or not) in order to exact change. As Hermes said long ago, [i[“If you change the energy you will change the manifestation”[/i]. Sadly, most of us get into the rut of doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results.

I must admit that I’ve seen some demonstrations involving “magick” that seem to break with this most common of truths, but such things are exceptionally rare and I’m confident a deeper study into it would reveal some very fascinating bits of wisdom.

The “Ethics” of a Reader is the key however; if a person is by nature, underhanded and cruel/selfish they will employ anything as a tool to take advantage and even suppress the advancement of others. On the other hand, those that have a more benevolent and loving nature will go out of their way to not just protect but aid those in need even when exchange is not part of the scenario.

Shamanic Tradition more or less insists that no sense of personal “gain” is to be seen when doing healing work. This does not include divination or counseling in that most of that sort of work centers on decision making, not actual healing. For this reason the “Oracle” (the person that does the Readings) can ask for moderate compensation (typically done as a “donation” based on what the patron believes the services was worth). When it came to “healing” type work, possibly spun off from a Reading or simply a patron asking for help (and “healings” don’t always include physical or mental health in pagan society, it can include economic and even educational issues of imbalance), this is when “barter” comes into play but in a very peculiar manner.

As the local Wise One the Reader is typically aware of the needs of other members in the tribe or even a wider sense of concern/need. For this reason they might demand of the would be patron to perform a service before they can get the “healing” and frequently the service ordered has two purposes;

1.) To “magickly address the needs of others
    2.) To aid the patron in a level of self-realization or “empowerment”
Think of how Oz had Dorothy & Co. go get the Witch’s broom, it’s much the same; by assigning the challenge the Wise One was able to solve multiple issues at once. Then, when the assignment was completed a “ritual” would be performed that would psychologically remove the problem or reinforce the lesson the patron has learned through fulfilling the first part of the exchange.

REMEMBER: The primary charge given to students of Wicca then and now is to work towards the greater good of all, especially the communities in which we live. If a Witch/Psychic isn’t doing this, they are a fraud in the eyes of their community as well as those of the suspicious/skeptical.

The ritual side of this process would require some sort of physical gift from the patron to the Seer. In the Native American world this would typically be Tobacco, a Ceremonial Pipe, special feather or crystals, etc. Food was likewise a common gesture of gratitude as was physical service/labor.

CONFESSIONS:
I’ve been doing Reading work since the latter mid-70s and to say that “I’ve seen it all” would be an understatement. I’ve seen just about every form of hustle you can imagine, including the latter days of the Mail Order Psychic via the National Enquirer and a dozen or so Radio Shack PC in a garage spitting out Readings…

Probably the most cruel of these cons are those waged against the simple minded; those good hearted and overly trusting souls who have deep spiritual beliefs as well as cultural points of view when it comes to magick and working with those that can weld it.

When I was living in the Reno, Nevada area there were two sisters… literal Gypsies who operated two Reading parlors in town. There had been all sorts of stories about these two and how the authorities couldn’t nail them… that is, until a certain individual got into the mix… not that I’d know of any such person…

It was a Saturday afternoon when a young Hispanic man shows up at the store a bit frantic and in desperate need to find a Reader that was more down to earth and able to convince his grandmother that she wasn’t cursed and didn’t have to give several thousand dollars to one of these “Psychics”.

With his help as a translator I managed to settle the poor woman down enough to listen to an alternative; an alternative that was REQUIRED in this case because of that cultural and religious influence in her life which stated rather clearly to her, that some kind of magick was needed to not just get rid of the curse, but protect her from this evil psychic (whom she believed would cast spells towards her and her family). I talked things over with her grandson and he agreed to work with me in creating a Placebo… one that cost less than $200.00 vs. the $15,000 or so these evil women wanted.

I walked this lady and her grandson through the ritual (which deliberately used materials common to their cultural practices) for cleansing their home, themselves, etc and then setting up the protections that would prevent any kind of dark magick from hurting them. Of course, she was allowed to contact me if she had any additional problems.

Interestingly, my magick was so powerful that the two systems were suddenly faced with an ultimatum by all the local Readers in the region who held a press conference demanding that police do something… I’m really not certain who would have educated these psychics about how the trickery and treachery took shape, but they certainly knew enough to wake up the cops.

THE BOTTOM LINE
There are times when a Psychic must incorporate “Magick” for the better good of the patron as well as the community and there are acceptable, ethical and moral ways of doing such, insuring that the patron learns how to be more independent and “empowered” rather than perpetuating codependence, as most commercial psychics will do.

I believe it is the obligation of every HONEST Psychic operator out there to “OUT” the charlatans however they can, once they have proof that they are in deed, duping the public and take unfair advantage of their patrons. Sadly, it’s not easy to legally prosecute such terrorists (and that’s what they are). But we can educate the consumer in ways that do not insult them or threaten their beliefs and that my friends, is the gist to all of this.

I’m in the process of creating my own on-line Psychic service (KarmicKruzes.org… should be viable by late June) which holds to the principles noted in this “short” outline as well as pushing the concept of personal obligation and taking responsibility for your own future, circumstances, etc. I really have high expectations for this project; not for the commercial sake but the ethical goals it will hopefully encourage other groups to embrace.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming

Re: It's Magick!

Postby ProfWag » Tue May 18, 2010 7:04 pm

Craig Browning wrote:

Who is the Most Likely Mark? you ask.

> The young, naive and new to the big world (16-25)

> Seniors (55+) who are homebound, lonely, strongly religious, facing their mortality, etc.

> The desperate & “hopeless”

> The Angry & Bitter

> Race (Hispanics, Blacks and certain Asian groups host strong superstitions)

> Economic Status (the super poor tend to be more “religious” and thus, more readily manipulated as the result of poverty/desperation and belief that “god” can fix things)

> Nationality/Cultural Influences – sadly this is where we hit one other factor “Immigration Status” – Illegal Aliens are an optimum target because they don’t feel that they can report an abuse without being deported, etc. Predators love them; but especially so when these immigrants come from a seriously superstitious culture.

Within this area of “Culture” we also have to look at “Environment” because of some special circumstances found in the U.S. (particularly), like the Native American reservation system and the social stigma that exists in the minds of the Indians. In some instances the sense of oppression can prove daunting. Add to this the cultural and spiritual/religious influences and again, you find a near perfect mark… just hope and pray they don’t figure you out though; things can get very painful in such instances.

So, essentially who you're saying the only people not susceptible as a "mark" are middle aged, middle class, happily married, white Americans? Hmmmmm.

Postby Craig Browning » Tue May 18, 2010 7:12 pm

Not at all, they are just the least susceptible.... the lower wrung of the ladder.

An interesting irony is that the popular Telephone Psychic networks of the 80s/90s generated most of their income from middle-classed white females living smack dab in the middle of the Bible Belt :lol:

I noticed when I was working in Nashville, here I was in one of the primary hubs of America's hard core "red necked" bible thumping culture and there were more sex parlors, strip clubs, "toy" stores, etc. than you could ever track down in sin cities like Las Vegas, Atlantic City, L.A. etc. But the Psychic biz was reasonably fluid there except for when some local radio preachers got a bur in his shorts about you or a given place of business. It was a very strange place to live and work in.

Postby ciscop » Tue May 18, 2010 7:32 pm

i can believe that..
females in the bible belt believing in psychics?
yeah sure

women tend to believe that sort of stuff
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)

Postby ProfWag » Tue May 18, 2010 8:05 pm

My town's lone psychic advisor's house recently burned to the ground. Sad really. She wasn't hurt though. Story goes she moved out the night before thanks to her being able to foresee the future...
(Okay, I made up that last part...)

Postby Nostradamus » Wed May 19, 2010 6:19 am

Not only did she move out the night before, but I hear she got the word from Al-Qaeda operatives before the deed was done. And I hear it was femto-quanto-hogwarts thermite that was used. Yeah. And ten the Annunaki from planet DNC that used a holographic universe contraption to cover up this that only everyone and their evolution loving son of a wombat involved pseudo cross dressing dinosaur relative knew about. That's the ticket.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.

Postby ProfWag » Wed May 19, 2010 1:34 pm

Nostradamus wrote:Not only did she move out the night before, but I hear she got the word from Al-Qaeda operatives before the deed was done. And I hear it was femto-quanto-hogwarts thermite that was used. Yeah. And ten the Annunaki from planet DNC that used a holographic universe contraption to cover up this that only everyone and their evolution loving son of a wombat involved pseudo cross dressing dinosaur relative knew about. That's the ticket.

Yep! That pretty much sums it up!

Postby Craig Browning » Thu May 20, 2010 2:36 am

ProfWag wrote:My town's lone psychic advisor's house recently burned to the ground. Sad really. She wasn't hurt though. Story goes she moved out the night before thanks to her being able to foresee the future...
(Okay, I made up that last part...)

No, no... she moved out the night before because she needed to be around to collect the insurance claim :lol:

As to my post.. Women are always high on the list (pardon for not including that) in that they are driven by their emotions far more than men which makes them far more prove to be "desperate" when it comes to finding certain things out. Men are more pragmatic by nature and will only seek "direction" (or the directions... look at a map, etc.) after being forced into a corner :lol: At that, their favorite "counselors" tend to be the bartender at their favorite pub, the barber, a cabby, their dog and even a priest... then comes the psychic. You'll notice that they avoid the shrink... for most men seeing a mental health professional and even a clergyman for that matter, is a sign of weakness... ball shrinkage if you would.

It's all very fascinating to me but then I love watching people, they are by far the funniest animals on the planet. :mrgreen:

Postby NinjaPuppy » Thu May 20, 2010 9:04 am

What I find unusual is, that all of the women who ask for a tarot card reading, it's always about men. They don't care about anything but their love life.

Postby Craig Browning » Thu May 20, 2010 3:16 pm

NinjaPuppy wrote:What I find unusual is, that all of the women who ask for a tarot card reading, it's always about men. They don't care about anything but their love life.

:lol:

And the male sitters only want to hear about money or law suits :lol:

Actually the whole Love-Life thing in the "real" world of the Psychic, is nominal. That tends to be more a kicks & giggles thing with the curious more than a legit concern. Where that rule differs (and I hate saying it this way) is when you have the "plump" ones show up who've probably never been laid and who have a crush on the latest movie screen heart-throb (who most likely, wouldn't give them the time of day, let alone a second look).

Interestingly, the one's that are most likely to ask if you can cast a love spell are the guys. Frequently, it's to get the spouse who got fed up with their crap and left, to come back home (to take care of them). Then you have the fat, middle-aged buffoons that just went through the divorce and are now in lust with some sweet thing still in college of high school, that wants to lure them (magickly) into their world... it's quite disgusting, actually!

The other thing the guys will come in for is when they've lost something of value. I've worked on a couple of stolen car cases in the past that turned out in a very positive manner. I've also helped a couple of detectives with things but nothing overly dramatic I can assure you.

The other HUGE thing males come with concern over, is when a loved one (especially their mother) is facing their mortality or recently passed. Second to parents are children and their twin, when siblings are involved.

Postby NinjaPuppy » Thu May 20, 2010 5:34 pm

Very interesting. I generally get the rejected older women who are looking for a meal ticket. :roll:

I have one person who was fixated on financials but even she has recently jumped on the love boat.

Postby ProfWag » Thu May 20, 2010 6:44 pm

Craig Browning wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:What I find unusual is, that all of the women who ask for a tarot card reading, it's always about men. They don't care about anything but their love life.

:lol:

And the male sitters only want to hear about money or law suits :lol:

Actually the whole Love-Life thing in the "real" world of the Psychic, is nominal. That tends to be more a kicks & giggles thing with the curious more than a legit concern. Where that rule differs (and I hate saying it this way) is when you have the "plump" ones show up who've probably never been laid and who have a crush on the latest movie screen heart-throb (who most likely, wouldn't give them the time of day, let alone a second look).

Interestingly, the one's that are most likely to ask if you can cast a love spell are the guys. Frequently, it's to get the spouse who got fed up with their crap and left, to come back home (to take care of them). Then you have the fat, middle-aged buffoons that just went through the divorce and are now in lust with some sweet thing still in college of high school, that wants to lure them (magickly) into their world... it's quite disgusting, actually!

The other thing the guys will come in for is when they've lost something of value. I've worked on a couple of stolen car cases in the past that turned out in a very positive manner. I've also helped a couple of detectives with things but nothing overly dramatic I can assure you.

The other HUGE thing males come with concern over, is when a loved one (especially their mother) is facing their mortality or recently passed. Second to parents are children and their twin, when siblings are involved.

Sounds like a lot of "feeding" on the grief stricken to me.

Postby Craig Browning » Fri May 21, 2010 2:30 pm

I don't see where you get that ProfWag... that's such a common knee jerk line when it comes to Mediums but I don't see how it would apply to the scenario's in question. Too, "taking advantage" of someone can arguably be a matter of perspective; if someone comes to me for a Reading and I know for a fact that I can give them tools or ways of processing information that will change their "negative" circumstances, how is this taking advantage? Not to mention the fact that they came to me in the first place...

Yes, when a Medium (in particular in that they do this more than psychics will) approach someone "with a message"... this is gross imposition and should be the first red light going off in a person's mind that something is askew. I've been called in to look at so many cases of this type and with but ONE exception, every single one of them were pure con-game. The "One" exception wasn't a case where money was being sought or any other form of compensation and so it was not investigated any further. All of the other cases (well over a dozen) ultimately involved a cash demand for several thousand dollars.

This whole thing is such a sticky-wicket in that the majority of folks, including those that are simply delusional, who do Psychic work aren't in it for the cash, fame, etc. they literally do it for the sake of helping others because they feel it to be a "calling" from "god". There is a minority however, that's set a standard of sorts in which it is a "business" or "vocation". Again, you will find that most in this category aren't out to be abusive to patrons but they are more inclined to manipulate them into a state of "codependency" for the sake of repeat business as well as referrals. It is from this group you will find the relatively small group of con-artists and predators. If you research most of these folks they do not rely on the Psychic or Spiritual theme when working their game, they can be very flexible. Too, those that do hold to this arena tend to not work alone, there is a network involved.

M. Lamar Keene (The Psychic Mafia) gave us a wonderful glimpse into this mode of operation but fell short... or I should say, wasn't able to foresee how this particular Hydra would transmute.

Today's "Psychic Mafia" is literally a "family operation" that typically focuses on small and mid-sized communities in which several members of the same family aid one another on a plethora of cons... scams that range from Contractor or Car Repair games to the Mediums & Psychics... even Evangelic Faith Healers so that the Christian side of things are better covered).

What makes this type of network so potent is that you have family members working legit jobs such as bar tender, taxi driver, concierge, hair dresser, gardening, etc. Their contribution to these cons being more akin to gathering intelligence on existing or potential marks.

Busting and exposing a group of this type is damn near impossible because it is literally "all in the family" and so, no outsider gets in (not even by marriage). Too, when it comes to the Psychics at least, so much fear is placed into the mind of the marks that they will not go against them... this, as I've noted, also ties to those cultural and religiously based influences. Too, the fact that these groups focus primarily on those people who feel they "can't" complain or do anything to "legally" deal with such criminals, such as illegal immigrants.

It's a very ugly and disgusting situation in my book. :x

Postby NinjaPuppy » Sat May 22, 2010 11:29 am

It reminds me of the Gypsy mentality.

Postby ProfWag » Sat May 22, 2010 11:57 am

Craig Browning wrote:I don't see where you get that ProfWag... that's such a common knee jerk line when it comes to Mediums but I don't see how it would apply to the scenario's in question. Too, "taking advantage" of someone can arguably be a matter of perspective; if someone comes to me for a Reading and I know for a fact that I can give them tools or ways of processing information that will change their "negative" circumstances, how is this taking advantage? Not to mention the fact that they came to me in the first place... :x

Hopefully, Jon Donni from badpsychics.com won't mind if I use his explanation as it fits my feelings and I couldn't say it better myself:
"Well it’s simple really,the advice is only as good as the outcome.
If your told to leave your job and miraculously you find yourself in a far better one the person who told you to quit seems to be an oracle of brilliant advice. What you don’t consider is that you may have been miserable where you were and made no bones about voicing that feeling …anyone faced with that information would suggest that perhaps a career change was vital.

You don’t have to be psychic to tell someone that, but it’s the suggestion that you are psychic and have access to some perceived higher knowledge however that can make that advice seem more powerful and alluring to follow.

That’s where the real danger comes into play .
What if that advice is wrong ?
What if it is based solely on what you have chosen to tell them and not on the underlying factors and unknown information the psychic is incapable of having at their disposal ? What if their own experience is colouring their advice ? What if they are simply telling you anything that will guarantee you come back for more ? What if that higher knowledge is nothing more than a bit of cold reading and assumptive guess work ?

A counsellor or therapist will help you look at the reasons you are facing what you are, they will help you see the bigger picture of your life and how all its parts can affect the other , they will give you options to explore and aid you in realising for YOURSELF the underlying factors causing you distress and point towards ways you can cope or deal with that, what they will NEVER do is TELL you to blindly make a choice simply because THEY say so.

Counselling or therapy is about facilitating and empowering a person to realise , deal and cope with the issues that are affecting them. Psychics are about stripping away your ability to make an informed decision by making it for you or at least strongly suggesting you take their advice based on nothing more than what they think you want them to say."

Next

Return to Spirituality / Spiritual Teachings