View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

The Horrors of Public Education

Discuss Other Topics not related to the Paranormal or Conspiracies (within reason of course).

Re: The Horrors of Public Education

Postby Craig Browning » 27 Jul 2010, 23:50

Here's Some Research Notes Our Video Featured Friend Should Study...

http://www.servintfree.net/~aidmn-ejournal/publications/2001-11/PublicEducationInTheUnitedStates.html

http://www.pbs.org/kcet/publicschool/

The History of Public Schools in America

Hundreds of years ago, most learning happened at home. Parents taught their children or, if their families could afford it, private tutors did the job. The Puritans were the first in this country to point out the need for some kind of public education. They established schools to teach not just the essentials-reading, writing and math- but also to reinforce their core values.

After the American Revolution, Thomas Jefferson argued that the newly independent nation needed an educational system, and he suggested that tax dollars be used to fund it. His pleas were ignored, however, and the idea for a public school system languished for nearly a century.

By the 1840s, a few public schools had popped up around the country in the communities that could afford them. However, that smattering of schools wasn't good enough for education crusaders Horace Mann of Massachusetts and Henry Barnard of Connecticut. They began calling for free, compulsory school for every child in the nation.


[Read the rest of this articles here -- http://people.howstuffworks.com/public-schools1.htm ]

http://www.faqs.org/childhood/Pa-Re/Public-Schools-Britain.html


I can't find mention of J.P. Morgan or any other such character in any of the historic evidence, so many Jr. needs to go back to school and learn a bit more about how to do proper research. :twisted:

Yes, public schools have become a "factory" rather than a source for EDUCATION. Instead of focusing on the student and what they need in order to function in life successfully, they are pushing material and goals that give educators statistic via which they can generate funding... in other words, our kids are bargaining chips -- "tools" used by "the establishment" for the soul sake of getting "more" while delivering less.

Yes, we are indoctrinated via the school system, it's always been this way regardless what nation you happen to be in. Everyone is encouraged to know their country's history to some degree (even if it is propaganda and not literal fact), what the general laws are (a.k.a. Civics) and most importantly Communication Skills such as Reading, Writing, Grammar and the Essentials of math... I'm not talking about how to add a + b to get Z or any of that "high math" B.S. 90% of us will NEVER need any of it. Such things have become "important" for one reason; Statistics -- the delusion that persons skilled in high math are able to function at a higher level of mind and too, pushing student to pass tests involving this higher level of math skill gives the school brownie points for having more "Highly Intelligent" and "Advanced" students which translates, yet again, into more dollars for the Administration and thus, a means for those underpaid teachers to afford a Lexus or Mercedes instead of a Chevy or Ford or even a Kia... vehicles that person's who honestly can't survive on their current salaries, would be in.

I detest extremism in all forms; the lies put forth by educators that not only sell the current political views of their community but as I've noted, are used for the sake of stealing money from the tax payer for performing a task they do not deliver on. Then we have students & drop outs such as our young friend here, who are in a rebellion mode and thus, blinded to the greater truth about education let alone when they will be a decade from now because of such folly and extreme views.

There are some awesome teachers out there and I think they deserve that high end car, but that can't be said about the majority of them. They may as well be robots or a view screen because all they do is go through the motions. It's not always their fault in that "the system" tends to tie their hands when it comes to creativity and exploring modes of teaching kids that goes outside the proverbial box. Such TEACHERS are penalized and frequently loose their right to work as such... black balled and drummed out of the industry because they don't play by the "rules"... out-dated biased ruled invented by a bunch of anal retentive white guys with grey beards. It is an exceptionally rigid system complete with a good ole boy attitude. :x
User avatar
Craig Browning
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 05:20
Location: Northampton, MA






Re: The Horrors of Public Education

Postby ProfWag » 27 Jul 2010, 23:52

NinjaPuppy wrote:
ProfWag wrote:What is your recommendation Scepcop? Do away with school?

That seems a bit over the top now doesn't it? I think that for starters, we need to see more money be put into school programs. At this point, it seems as if public schools are nothing more than a free babysitting service to some parents. For some school administrations the only thing that matters is those standardized test scores and their ratings. The rest of the parents and children are stuck somewhere in the middle of the system.

I agree with you Ninja. I disagree with much of what Scepcop says however. Especially: "99 percent of what they teach you in school are things you don't ever need to know and will NEVER use, either in real life or in any job or profession."
Don't know where he got that figure, but if he uses a number like that, then I could understand it better if he had said "99 percent of what I was taught...I NEVER use..."
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: The Horrors of Public Education

Postby NinjaPuppy » 28 Jul 2010, 00:22

I went to a parochial school from grades 1-6 and then into the public school system. In middle school, those poor kids were learning stuff that I had learned in 3-5th grade and High School for me was a joke as that was 5th-6th grade stuff.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: The Horrors of Public Education

Postby Wilhelm » 28 Jul 2010, 00:27

ProfWag wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:
ProfWag wrote:What is your recommendation Scepcop? Do away with school?

That seems a bit over the top now doesn't it? I think that for starters, we need to see more money be put into school programs. At this point, it seems as if public schools are nothing more than a free babysitting service to some parents. For some school administrations the only thing that matters is those standardized test scores and their ratings. The rest of the parents and children are stuck somewhere in the middle of the system.

I agree with you Ninja. I disagree with much of what Scepcop says however. Especially: "99 percent of what they teach you in school are things you don't ever need to know and will NEVER use, either in real life or in any job or profession."
Don't know where he got that figure, but if he uses a number like that, then I could understand it better if he had said "99 percent of what I was taught...I NEVER use..."


The education system is the US was devised to get people to think and live a certain sort of way, not necessarily to teach them anything of real value. Essentially, to mold kids into what some Fabian Socialists thought was a good time, or whatever.

But, I was taught to spell in school, and here I am, using it.
edit: Wait, crap, that might be part of the 1%. :D
Wilhelm
 
Posts: 42
Joined: 26 Jul 2010, 18:34

Re: The Horrors of Public Education

Postby NinjaPuppy » 28 Jul 2010, 00:47

I learned me good spellin' and some of that grammer stuff too. Most of it now seems to be a foreign language. :lol:
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: The Horrors of Public Education

Postby ProfWag » 28 Jul 2010, 03:13

NinjaPuppy wrote:I learned me good spellin' and some of that grammer stuff too. Most of it now seems to be a foreign language. :lol:

Isn't that what they call Phonics?
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: The Horrors of Public Education

Postby NinjaPuppy » 28 Jul 2010, 19:34

ProfWag wrote:Isn't that what they call Phonics?

I was hooked on that stuff back in the 80s. :D
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: The Horrors of Public Education

Postby ProfWag » 28 Jul 2010, 20:26

NinjaPuppy wrote:
ProfWag wrote:Isn't that what they call Phonics?

I was hooked on that stuff back in the 80s. :D

Very clever NinjaPuppy... :-)
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: The Horrors of Public Education

Postby Wilhelm » 29 Jul 2010, 02:37

NinjaPuppy wrote:
ProfWag wrote:Isn't that what they call Phonics?

I was hooked on that stuff back in the 80s. :D


I was waiting for a nice joke on that. =)

Good show, I actually LOLed.
Wilhelm
 
Posts: 42
Joined: 26 Jul 2010, 18:34

Re: The Horrors of Public Education

Postby NinjaPuppy » 29 Jul 2010, 05:07

Thank you. I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress. :D
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: The Horrors of Public Education

Postby ProfWag » 29 Jul 2010, 05:19

NinjaPuppy wrote:Thank you. I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress. :D

Now, could you say that again, but spell it in phonics?
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: The Horrors of Public Education

Postby NinjaPuppy » 29 Jul 2010, 18:39

ProfWag wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:Thank you. I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress. :D

Now, could you say that again, but spell it in phonics?

Now ProfWag, don't go being a dipthong in your quest for consonant proof. :P
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: The Horrors of Public Education

Postby ProfWag » 29 Jul 2010, 21:00

NinjaPuppy wrote:Now ProfWag, don't go being a dipthong in your quest for consonant proof. :P

How did you know I'm wearing a thong? Oh, wait a minute. Maybe I shouldn't have said that... :-)
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: The Horrors of Public Education

Postby NinjaPuppy » 29 Jul 2010, 22:44

I would have pegged you as a 'commando' kind of guy :D
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: The Horrors of Public Education

Postby ProfWag » 29 Jul 2010, 23:16

NinjaPuppy wrote:I would have pegged you as a 'commando' kind of guy :D

That's normally the case, but when I'm working or teaching, I prefer to be a little "packed in," otherwise, it would definitely be one of the "Horrors of Public Education." (How's that for getting back on topic...) :-)
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron