[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Look how wholesome TV shows were in the past : Off-Topic Board • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Look how wholesome TV shows were in the past

Discuss Other Topics not related to the Paranormal or Conspiracies (within reason of course).

Look how wholesome TV shows were in the past

Postby Scepcop » 06 Aug 2009, 02:42

How come modern TV shows are no longer as wholesome as they were in the past, when characters were kind, personable, natural, down to earth, simple, etc.? Nowadays, characters act tough, rough and jaded, as though having no feelings is the ideal. It's like whoever is more tough and unfeeling is admired. WTF?

Check out these intros to these past TV shows and compare them to the ones today.

They remind me of times when I felt young and innocent (but of course, our minds tend to make the past out to be better than it really was for some reason). And the TV theme tunes were really special, whereas nowadays there is hardly any noteworthy themes for modern TV shows. And if you remember, the characters were more likable, wholesome, fun and campy.

Do these bring back nostalgia for any of you too?

Love Boat Intro

The Waltons Intro

Chips Intro (what a groovy theme)

Hawaii Five O Intro

Gillians Island Intro

Dynasty Intro (beautiful theme)

The A-Team Intro

Knight Rider Intro

The Big Valley (damn look how beautiful and wholesome Linda Evans used to be!)

Charlies Angels intro

The Six Million Dollar Man Intro (one of my favorite shows and themes)

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: Look how wholesome TV shows were in the past

Postby NinjaPuppy » 06 Aug 2009, 04:09

TV shows have changed drastically because of the change in the attitude of the advertisers. Back in the day, they were selling family oriented products. Perfect products for the perfect family. Buy our product and live a perfect life.

There were plenty of rules/laws (I don't know if they were actually laws or not) that forbid police shows to insinuate that 'crime pays' or that you could get away with a crime. All criminals were required to be bought to justice in the plot.

Now it's different. I miss those Kraft Entertainment Hours and Hallmark Holiday Specials. You can never have too many uses for Cheez-Whiz!

Now it's all about the ratings and the almighty dollar.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Scepcop » 06 Aug 2009, 04:35

If you watch the documentaries about the making of TV shows and network ratings though, it was always about ratings, even back in the 50's.

Yeah family values have broken down. I also heard that we are in spiritual decline as we head toward 2012 too, that may be part of it, hence people start to seem more cold and apathetic compared to before, as well as more distant and disconnected from each other.

Which of those shows were your favorites? Do they bring make nostalgia for you too?
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Eteponge » 06 Aug 2009, 04:59

I grew up in the 1980s and loved a lot of the 1980s cartoons and such. My favorite TV Show as a kid however, was "You Can't Do That On Television", which was on Nickelodeon, it really pushed boundaries (several episodes of it even got banned), even by today's standards. The guy who created that show got off on how far they could push the censors of the day. Hahaha. That's the show that parents didn't want their kids to see, but all the kids couldn't get enough of.

That's the TV Show where if you said "I don't know!" you would get green slime dumped all over your head from above. Which Nickelodeon continues to do to this day, even though the show it originated from has been off the air for almost 20 years now.
"I think Eteponge's Blog is a pretty cool guy. eh debates Skeptics and doesnt afraid of anything."
Eteponge

Postby NinjaPuppy » 06 Aug 2009, 05:05

From that list of shows, my favorite would be Gilligan's Island, then Love Boat, then Six Million Dollar Man.

I enjoyed the concept of 'Gilligan's Island' and I liked seeing the guest stars on 'Love Boat'. 'The Six Million Dollar Man' was like really good TV. My kind of sci-fi/action/intrigue for the time.

My all time favorite show was 'Maxwell Smart'. Anything by Mel Brooks is in my top ten.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Mistislav D'ralle » 18 Aug 2009, 09:24

Mistislav D'ralle

Postby NinjaPuppy » 18 Aug 2009, 09:30

NinjaPuppy

Postby brett » 18 Aug 2009, 13:12

brett

Return to Off-Topic Board