View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Always seem to glance at the clock at specific time

Discuss Other Topics not related to the Paranormal or Conspiracies (within reason of course).

Always seem to glance at the clock at specific time

Postby scotte68 » 26 Jun 2012, 13:32

Every day for the past 10+ years I have been annoyed by a specific number: the number 11. I see it on every clock that I come in contact with. I don't mean hallucinations. I mean I always seem to glance at the clock at a specific time. What are the odds that I would always glance at any given clock when the time is 7:11am, 8:11am, 9:11am, 10:11am or 11:11am? In my opinion I am experiencing this phenomenon far more frequently that statistically possible.

Care to take a guess at the time I see the most? If you guessed 9:11am, you’re right!
Lately, the number of times I am seeing “11” is increasing.

Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?
scotte68

Re: Always seem to glance at the clock at specific time

Postby Arouet » 26 Jun 2012, 19:57

How often should one see it statistically?

How often do you see it?

How often do you see every other time on the clock?

How are you controlling for confirmation bias?

Welcome to the forum!
Arouet

Postby scotte68 » 16 Jul 2012, 11:03

Hi Arouet,

Thanks. : ) I think.

How often should one see it statistically?
If we use seconds as our unit then I have to take 24 * 60 because the clock will indicate 11 after the hour for 60 seconds each time it happened. So, that would be 1440 / 86400 which is 1/60.

How often do you see it?
I have had it happen as many as 5 times in a day.
It is not just the clock. I started the dishwasher the other day and the run time came up 111.
It never does that. I made an entry in my electronic dictionary and then noticed when I was done
the time stamp was 11:11pm.

How often do you see every other time on the clock?
I will have to track that. Actually, that would be good.
I really don't look at the clock that much. I will go hours at a time and then think to myself, "I need to check the time."

All I have is my word that I am experiencing this at random.

Consider this. My brother, my wife and friends seem to conveniently texting me at 11 past the hour.
They were just as surprised about the time when I told them.

I get nixel notices on my cell phone at 11 past the hour. I create blog posts and then notice the next day the time stamp is 8:11pm or 10:11 pm. I go to bed and pick up my clock to check the alarm and it's 11 past the hour.

I'm working on possible theories as to why.
1. My routine lends itself to this time.
2. Could there be a connection between universal patterns and human biology
3. Could my internal biological clock and my analytical mind be in synch (I'm just obsession about 11 past the hour)
4. feel free to suggest a theory.

Are you familiar with Carl Gustav Jung and the concept of Synchronicity?
His concept does not apply to my situation directly but I think there may be something there.
I am looking at this more in depth.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Jung
Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity
Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Littlewood%27s_law

B.Rgds,
Scott
scotte68

Postby Arouet » 17 Jul 2012, 02:04

scotte68 wrote:How often should one see it statistically?
If we use seconds as our unit then I have to take 24 * 60 because the clock will indicate 11 after the hour for 60 seconds each time it happened. So, that would be 1440 / 86400 which is 1/60.

I'm no statistician but I'm not sure that's the stat to use. I'd think you'd have to use all the times you casually look at a clock throughout each day, and see what the distrubution is. You'd have to take into account and weight accordingly when you are more likely to look at a clock - so all time aren't going to be equally distributed. Not an easy task! Probably very difficult to do a true, reliable, study.

How often do you see it?
I have had it happen as many as 5 times in a day.
It is not just the clock. I started the dishwasher the other day and the run time came up 111.
It never does that. I made an entry in my electronic dictionary and then noticed when I was done
the time stamp was 11:11pm.

It's funny, you can not be tuned into something, then you get tuned into it and you see it everywhere. Did you see it before and just not take note of it? Perhaps.

All I have is my word that I am experiencing this at random.

Confirmation bias is not about deception. It's about how we key into certain things - we notice what we expect we don't notice what we don't expect. It's not just about whether I trust you - but whether you can trust yourself. We also suffer from confirmation bias - we remember the hits, and forget the misses. So we need to control for it.

You could do this by writing down the time every time you look at a watch. Thing is, this would be hard to do reliably as you're often going to look at your watch and forget to write it down, most likely. But if you could do it that would effectively control for this type of bias.

There was a guy on the skeptiko forum who thought that he had a huge number of posts that fell at the top of the page when (set at 10 posts per page). He made comment after comment and noted it for us when it happened. I decided to look at the last 25 of his posts and see the distribution), turned out that he really didn't hit the top of the page much more than one would have thought (it had I think one more than several others, and there was one number that wasn't hit at all). Small sample, but showed the point.

Consider this. My brother, my wife and friends seem to conveniently texting me at 11 past the hour.
They were just as surprised about the time when I told them.

How many texts are we talking about over what sample?

I get nixel notices on my cell phone at 11 past the hour. I create blog posts and then notice the next day the time stamp is 8:11pm or 10:11 pm. I go to bed and pick up my clock to check the alarm and it's 11 past the hour.

Again, we need to know how many times you see numbers and they are NOT 11.

I'm working on possible theories as to why.
1. My routine lends itself to this time.

this is part of what would need to be weighted I think.

2. Could there be a connection between universal patterns and human biology

Could be - but you'd have to make a strong case!

3. Could my internal biological clock and my analytical mind be in synch (I'm just obsession about 11 past the hour)

This might be where confirmation bias comes in

4. feel free to suggest a theory.

My guess is confirmation bias.

Are you familiar with Carl Gustav Jung and the concept of Synchronicity?
His concept does not apply to my situation directly but I think there may be something there.
I am looking at this more in depth.

While i haven't read him I have heard a lot about that concept. Honestly, it always seems like giving a name to coincidence for me. When you have the entire world as your sample, there are going to be a lot of ways to possible draw short term patterns. our brains are hardwired to spot patterns but when they get over a certain sample size they are less reliable. As we've shown even with the watch example, it is very difficult on a simple example to accurately determine whether there is a pattern. When you multiple that to everything, I think it becomes almost impossible. That doesn't mean the theory is false, but I think it would be very hard to prove to a reasonable standard of confidence.
Arouet

Postby scotte68 » 17 Jul 2012, 12:34

Good stuff. I appreciate your feedback. :0)

I see what you mean about "Confirmation Bias". Although the term is very new to me, I think I innately understand it. I could be deceiving my self about how often I look at the clock. That's why I need to write it down and look at it. Like trying to loose weight by counting calories. If I don't write it down, I'm gaining weight and not loosing. It's because I deceive myself about how many calories I really eat. Which I do willingly. haha.

I have to admit that I don't have the time or energy to do a statistical study, but it really is bugging me. I may actually try to track the times I look at the clock. I have to prepare mentally for that exercise.

Also, I don't want to forget there are instances that are related to the clock, but I'm NOT glancing at the clock at the particular time in question.

For example, go to
www dot thenumber11 dot com/forums/topic/daily-11-sightings/ and scroll to the bottom post or CTRL + F and search for #297.

I have two pictures of an instance where the time is 11 past the hour, but I am not looking at the clock.
They happened today. One email notification came in at 1:11 am and another at 1:11pm. That is the first time that has happened with these particular email notifications.

How would I factor that into a study?

B.Rgds,
Scott
scotte68

Postby Arouet » 17 Jul 2012, 21:53

scotte68 wrote:Good stuff. I appreciate your feedback. :0)

I see what you mean about "Confirmation Bias". Although the term is very new to me, I think I innately understand it. I could be deceiving my self about how often I look at the clock. That's why I need to write it down and look at it. Like trying to loose weight by counting calories. If I don't write it down, I'm gaining weight and not loosing. It's because I deceive myself about how many calories I really eat. Which I do willingly. haha.

Yeah, you might want to google it and read up on it, you might see it resonate with you even more.

I have to admit that I don't have the time or energy to do a statistical study, but it really is bugging me. I may actually try to track the times I look at the clock. I have to prepare mentally for that exercise.

Just remember if you do it it will only be tenuously reliable since you won't really know how often you forgot to note it down.

Also, I don't want to forget there are instances that are related to the clock, but I'm NOT glancing at the clock at the particular time in question.

For example, go to
www dot thenumber11 dot com/forums/topic/daily-11-sightings/ and scroll to the bottom post or CTRL + F and search for #297.

I have two pictures of an instance where the time is 11 past the hour, but I am not looking at the clock.
They happened today. One email notification came in at 1:11 am and another at 1:11pm. That is the first time that has happened with these particular email notifications.

Like you said: it's the first time its happened with that particular email notification. So why is it something special? if you look at the distribution of all your emails, what percentage are on 11s and is it a lot higher than other numbers?

You could also try and pick another number to focus on: say: 22, and see if you suddenly start seeing that number everywhere!
Arouet

Postby NinjaPuppy » 18 Jul 2012, 02:37

Arouet wrote:You could also try and pick another number to focus on: say: 22, and see if you suddenly start seeing that number everywhere!

I agree. It's one way to make you realize that once you mentally fixate on a particular number, it registers rather than is used only for it's original purpose....like seeing what time it is.
NinjaPuppy

Postby scotte68 » 18 Jul 2012, 13:28

This little discussion has actually been very helpful. I have been fixated on this number for many YEARS and never said anything until June 23rd, 2012. It is good to talk through it.

Another interesting factor is that many people are experiencing this phenomenon (for lack of a better word). Another theory, maybe we all are experiencing a similar form of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder associated with time or numbers. If that theory is correct, maybe I could say that many people are experiencing a similar type of O.C.D. Or, maybe I could call it a "Mental Tick." :lol:

So why is it something special?

I guess the point I was trying to convey is that the #11 keeps showing up in a variety of places other than a clock.
I didn't want to limit my OCD to just "Glancing at a clock."

You could also try and pick another number to focus on: say: 22, and see if you suddenly start seeing that number everywhere!

This comment is actually what lead me to the OCD idea. Also, (to your point) I should add that once my brother told me that his birthday (this year) is 12/12/12, I suddenly started seeing that number too but only for a short time. I don't see the #12 so much any more. My brain is back to the #11.

I guess the BIG question is (to myself),
    Why did my mind pick the #11?
    Why is it something special?
    Why has it persisted for so many years?

I have another idea. I work with numbers a lot. I am not into numerology or anything like that. I am a pretty basic, down to earth type of guy. I am a data analyst / developer. So, numbers are a big part of my life. My daily focus on numbers combined with another event may be an answer to why the #11 is so special. i.e. why my brain picked the #11.

I want to bring this up but I WILL NOT talk about it any further than what I mention hear. I am pretty sure I noticed the fixation on #11 right after Sep 11, 2001. I think that was a pretty significant and traumatic day. The date has an 11 in it and the towers looked like an 11 on the horizon. It could be that I have some unresolved emotions about that day and my mind is fixating on the #11. Who knows.

Here end-eth the ramblings of TheNumber11,
Thanks Ya-Awl,
Scott
scotte68

Postby NinjaPuppy » 18 Jul 2012, 20:02

scotte68 wrote:So why is it something special?
I guess the point I was trying to convey is that the #11 keeps showing up in a variety of places other than a clock.
I didn't want to limit my OCD to just "Glancing at a clock."

I don't think that it's necessarily something special, rather than something that is more common. For instance, it's more common to find 11 pennies in your pocket than it is to find 78 pennies. Once again, you won't find the number 78 on a clock or a calendar, so it cuts down your chances of noticing it.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Arouet » 19 Jul 2012, 04:23

Your insight about 9/11 is probably a good one - and honestly, I'm not sure you even need something so profound to start noticing something.

Why don't you start by doing a prospective internet test. Don't delete any email you receive for the next month. Including all the junk mail. Then count how often the number 11 appears as the last two digits of every email and see what percentage you get. We'd probably need to think about it more to figure out if there are other factors to consider, but as a rough, preliminary study that is easy to do, it might tell us something interesting (or not interesting).

Really, what you should do, is track how many of each number from 00 to 59 occur in all those emails and see what kind of distribution you get. You might see some clusters around the quarter of the hour (if automatic emails are scheduled to release at those times), but I would expect you'd get a relatively even distribution. We're only talking about the minute markings, not the hourly ones.

In any event, I think you're on the right track on how to approach this.
Arouet

Postby UKIDNME » 04 Jan 2014, 05:35

I too, see the number 13 all the time, about 5 times a day, and this has been happening for over 10 years. It doesn't matter what im doing, this number follows me in almost all entry devices, tickets, ballots, etc.

ironically my wife sees 9,11 often, but not as much as me and my 13
UKIDNME

Postby NinjaPuppy » 08 Jan 2014, 04:17

UKIDNME - You may have gotten swept up in a mass spam delete. If that's the case, then rejoin and PM me. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Ninjapuppy
NinjaPuppy

Return to Off-Topic Board