View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

It's too bad they don't make TV like this anymore...

Discuss Other Topics not related to the Paranormal or Conspiracies (within reason of course).

It's too bad they don't make TV like this anymore...

Postby Scepcop » 26 Apr 2010, 01:40

Any of you old enough to remember this?



“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
User avatar
Scepcop
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: 16 May 2009, 07:29






Re: It's too bad they don't make TV like this anymore...

Postby NinjaPuppy » 26 Apr 2010, 18:43

Since they are in 'living color', I must be old enough. :lol:
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: It's too bad they don't make TV like this anymore...

Postby Nostradamus » 26 Apr 2010, 19:34

I'm old enough to remember the bionic man as a cowboy.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
User avatar
Nostradamus
 
Posts: 1761
Joined: 08 Aug 2009, 14:08

Re: It's too bad they don't make TV like this anymore...

Postby ProfWag » 26 Apr 2010, 20:31

I was never a big western fan, but I do wish they would bring back Creature Feature.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: It's too bad they don't make TV like this anymore...

Postby caniswalensis » 14 Jun 2010, 23:56

That's some good stuff, alright. :)
"It is proper for you to doubt ... do not go upon report ... do not go upon tradition ... do not go upon hear-say." ~ Buddha
caniswalensis
 
Posts: 208
Joined: 02 Jun 2010, 03:41

Re: It's too bad they don't make TV like this anymore...

Postby NinjaPuppy » 15 Jun 2010, 01:28

For the time, it was as good as it could get. Funny as all hell. Today.... not so much.

I compare how what we consider entertaining has changed with long running shows like "Saturday Night Live". What was hysterical then is reality now. More than half of what used to be cutting edge back then is now old and worn out. Of course since I'm older than dirt and can easily recall back to when there were only 3 major channels and color TV hadn't even yet been invented, tastes were different back then.

BTW, if anyone asks me about the silent picture era, I'm gonna go ballistic on them. :lol: Actually I do have a large recollection of many of the silent pictures as they were the late night programming of the 50s. Late night being up to 12:00 midnight when the three major channels signed off until 5:30am or 6:00am the next morning.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: It's too bad they don't make TV like this anymore...

Postby ProfWag » 15 Jun 2010, 02:53

NinjaPuppy wrote:For the time, it was as good as it could get. Funny as all hell. Today.... not so much.

I compare how what we consider entertaining has changed with long running shows like "Saturday Night Live". What was hysterical then is reality now. More than half of what used to be cutting edge back then is now old and worn out. Of course since I'm older than dirt and can easily recall back to when there were only 3 major channels and color TV hadn't even yet been invented, tastes were different back then.

BTW, if anyone asks me about the silent picture era, I'm gonna go ballistic on them. :lol: Actually I do have a large recollection of many of the silent pictures as they were the late night programming of the 50s. Late night being up to 12:00 midnight when the three major channels signed off until 5:30am or 6:00am the next morning.

Ahhh yes, the sentimental memory of falling asleep on the couch, only to be awoken promptly at midnight with the words "And that concludes the broadcasting for today." And then that annoying BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. which literally scared the living crap out of you (though one or two of the stations just turned to that delightful snowy picture sound...
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: It's too bad they don't make TV like this anymore...

Postby NinjaPuppy » 15 Jun 2010, 03:00

You forgot the official playing of the Star Spangled Banner with the flag flying in the background. That is what usually woke me up.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: It's too bad they don't make TV like this anymore...

Postby ProfWag » 15 Jun 2010, 03:24

NinjaPuppy wrote:You forgot the official playing of the Star Spangled Banner with the flag flying in the background. That is what usually woke me up.

Oh my goodness, how could I forget to include that!
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: It's too bad they don't make TV like this anymore...

Postby NinjaPuppy » 15 Jun 2010, 03:37

Are you anti government too ProfWag???? :shock:
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: It's too bad they don't make TV like this anymore...

Postby caniswalensis » 15 Jun 2010, 03:44

I kinda miss the flag & anthem bit.
"It is proper for you to doubt ... do not go upon report ... do not go upon tradition ... do not go upon hear-say." ~ Buddha
caniswalensis
 
Posts: 208
Joined: 02 Jun 2010, 03:41

Re: It's too bad they don't make TV like this anymore...

Postby NinjaPuppy » 15 Jun 2010, 04:23

caniswalensis wrote:I kinda miss the flag & anthem bit.

It beat the heck out of those annoying infomercials that now come on after hours.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: It's too bad they don't make TV like this anymore...

Postby caniswalensis » 15 Jun 2010, 05:11

NinjaPuppy wrote:
caniswalensis wrote:I kinda miss the flag & anthem bit.

It beat the heck out of those annoying infomercials that now come on after hours.


That's for sure! There have been a couple times that I have dozed off while watching a late movie, and the infomercials started up while I was asleep. My dreams will sometimes be influenced by sounds in the room and I had dreams about trying to sell some gadget to someone. :)

I woke up in the middle and realized that I was not safe from the horror of infomercials even in my dreams. :lol:
"It is proper for you to doubt ... do not go upon report ... do not go upon tradition ... do not go upon hear-say." ~ Buddha
caniswalensis
 
Posts: 208
Joined: 02 Jun 2010, 03:41

Re: It's too bad they don't make TV like this anymore...

Postby NinjaPuppy » 15 Jun 2010, 05:29

caniswalensis wrote:That's for sure! There have been a couple times that I have dozed off while watching a late movie, and the infomercials started up while I was asleep. My dreams will sometimes be influenced by sounds in the room and I had dreams about trying to sell some gadget to someone. :)

I woke up in the middle and realized that I was not safe from the horror of infomercials even in my dreams. :lol:

My worse nightmare-
Image
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: It's too bad they don't make TV like this anymore...

Postby Scepcop » 17 Jun 2010, 01:55

If you like The Big Valley, you can watch many episodes now on YouTube, but they are named by the episode. From each one, you can see more episodes in the related section. Here is one for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo_plKqZIKk

I love that show and am watching episodes of it.

The uploader also has many more westerns uploaded at her channel, so if you're a western fan, you'll definitely want to check it out. There are also many episodes from Bonanza, which some consider to be the greatest western TV series, though I haven't really watched it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CarrieOK4059
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
User avatar
Scepcop
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: 16 May 2009, 07:29

Next

Return to Off-Topic Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron