[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Why it is important to sleep early (Dr. Mercola) : Off-Topic Board • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Why it is important to sleep early (Dr. Mercola)

Discuss Other Topics not related to the Paranormal or Conspiracies (within reason of course).

Why it is important to sleep early (Dr. Mercola)

Postby Scepcop » 24 Mar 2010, 03:59

Here is a great video by Dr. Mercola about why it's important to sleep early. It makes a lot of sense. But I had never heard before that it was best to sleep in pitch black and that even a little light, like from a night lamp, was bad for you. Interesting. Is that true?

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: Why it is important to sleep early (Dr. Mercola)

Postby Nostradamus » 24 Mar 2010, 04:37

I have never heard of most of these claims. In fact, I usually hear the opposite. I hear that night lights are important for safety. I have never heard that working third shift is bad for your health. I have never heard that any light exposure is bad. People have lived above the Arctic circle for thousands of years. It's always light up there during the summer and always dark during the winter.

According to
"Synthesis and secretion of melatonin is dramatically affected by light exposure to the eyes. The fundamental pattern observed is that serum concentrations of melatonin are low during the daylight hours, and increase to a peak during the dark. "

"The duration of melatonin secretion each day is directly proportional to the length of the night."

This differs from plants in which even brief light exposure resets the clock.

Are there other sources for this type of information about sleep?
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Postby NinjaPuppy » 24 Mar 2010, 07:00

I don't sleep well with a night light or any light in the room. I find myself waking up more or at least notice that I wake up more. Even the little power light on the TV can make me notice it when I wake up from a dead sleep. Yet I can sleep very well in full daylight when it's time for a nap.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Nostradamus » 24 Mar 2010, 09:05

My wife can fall asleep in a car in broad daylight even if she is the driver.
Nostradamus

Postby Nostradamus » 24 Mar 2010, 09:07

Thanks for the info Scepcop. Sleep is so poorly understood. I break almost all of the rules Mercola listed making me think about what I am doing.
Nostradamus

Return to Off-Topic Board