View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Whole new tin of spam

Post suggestions, ideas and feedback for SCEPCOP and this website. Propose and coordinate projects, plans, articles, site improvements, etc. Requests for new boards can be made here too.

Whole new tin of spam

Postby SydneyPSIder » 07 Jan 2014, 13:36

There seems to be a lot of new spamming activity on the site that's hard to hold in check. Is this the usual level, but not nipping it in the bud as quickly? Are there any ways on this version of phpBB to deter spamming?
SydneyPSIder
 
Posts: 1124
Joined: 10 Sep 2012, 18:24






Re: Whole new tin of spam

Postby NinjaPuppy » 07 Jan 2014, 20:31

SydneyPSIder wrote:There seems to be a lot of new spamming activity on the site that's hard to hold in check. Is this the usual level, but not nipping it in the bud as quickly? Are there any ways on this version of phpBB to deter spamming?

Yes. Yes. Nipping it as soon as I find it..... No.

This sort of crap is usual for this time of year. It starts around October with a flood of new members who don't ever post and then by December/January, the spam goes ballistic.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Whole new tin of spam

Postby NinjaPuppy » 07 Jan 2014, 20:48

OK, that slew of spam is all cleaned up. Now y'all need to get ready for another round and another and another. 'Tis the season.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Whole new tin of spam

Postby Arouet » 07 Jan 2014, 23:35

I still don't get why Winston doesn't just set it up so the first post of a new member must be approved?
User avatar
Arouet
 
Posts: 2544
Joined: 07 Aug 2010, 03:07

Re: Whole new tin of spam

Postby NinjaPuppy » 08 Jan 2014, 03:54

Arouet wrote:I still don't get why Winston doesn't just set it up so the first post of a new member must be approved?

I don't think it would matter. The amount of time it takes to delete the crap is equal to the amount of time for me to approve or disapprove it. As you can tell, Mr. Coffee wasn't finished for the day when I cleaned up the crap this morning. :shock:

The worse part is that these coffee advertisements are coming from Russia and they have discovered Hotmail, so I can even flag the danged IP.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Whole new tin of spam

Postby NinjaPuppy » 08 Jan 2014, 04:15

Oh.... and he/she is still not finished. That must be some pretty danged good coffee.

I've now just deleted every new member from Russia and then some. Hopefully, that will help.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Whole new tin of spam

Postby Arouet » 08 Jan 2014, 19:58

NinjaPuppy wrote:
Arouet wrote:I still don't get why Winston doesn't just set it up so the first post of a new member must be approved?

I don't think it would matter. The amount of time it takes to delete the crap is equal to the amount of time for me to approve or disapprove it. As you can tell, Mr. Coffee wasn't finished for the day when I cleaned up the crap this morning. :shock:

The worse part is that these coffee advertisements are coming from Russia and they have discovered Hotmail, so I can even flag the danged IP.



Except they might not try again if they see it doesn't get posted.
User avatar
Arouet
 
Posts: 2544
Joined: 07 Aug 2010, 03:07

Re: Whole new tin of spam

Postby NinjaPuppy » 08 Jan 2014, 21:44

Arouet wrote:Except they might not try again if they see it doesn't get posted.

I totally agree with you on this. However..... considering the massive amount of these posts I believe once the ID is registered, a bot does the rest. Bots don't care and I will assume that the registering humans get paid per ID or some such set up.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Whole new tin of spam

Postby Scepcop » 14 Feb 2014, 16:46

Wow I just deleted a ton of Russian spam here. I blocked the IP's they were coming from too. The IP's were mostly the same, so it seems to be from the same source.

Maybe we should moderate every new user's first posts, but then they would experience a delay in seeing their posts appear.

For now, I'll change the humanizer question and see if that stops it.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
User avatar
Scepcop
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: 16 May 2009, 07:29

Re: Whole new tin of spam

Postby ProfWag » 19 Feb 2014, 07:45

Scepcop wrote:Wow I just deleted a ton of Russian spam here. I blocked the IP's they were coming from too. The IP's were mostly the same, so it seems to be from the same source.

Maybe we should moderate every new user's first posts, but then they would experience a delay in seeing their posts appear.

For now, I'll change the humanizer question and see if that stops it.

Scepcop and Ninja, with the recent overload of spam, how about having a first post approval before being allowed to post or something else? It doesn't appear the humanizer question is working. It's unfortunate that a few ass wipes have to ruin it for us all, but we're now in the 21st century.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Whole new tin of spam

Postby NinjaPuppy » 20 Feb 2014, 00:18

ProfWag wrote:
Scepcop wrote:Wow I just deleted a ton of Russian spam here. I blocked the IP's they were coming from too. The IP's were mostly the same, so it seems to be from the same source.

Maybe we should moderate every new user's first posts, but then they would experience a delay in seeing their posts appear.

For now, I'll change the humanizer question and see if that stops it.

Scepcop and Ninja, with the recent overload of spam, how about having a first post approval before being allowed to post or something else? It doesn't appear the humanizer question is working. It's unfortunate that a few ass wipes have to ruin it for us all, but we're now in the 21st century.

Sorry, haven't been around lately. Most of it is now gone.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Whole new tin of spam

Postby NinjaPuppy » 20 Feb 2014, 11:37

And just so y'all know.... it will be spammy again this weekend as I have plans. :shock: Goin' ghost hunting. I'll tell y'all about it when I return. That is if I can find a free topic that isn't all spammed up.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Whole new tin of spam

Postby pwil » 20 Feb 2014, 12:24

Where at?
pwil
 
Posts: 45
Joined: 22 Dec 2013, 00:10

Re: Whole new tin of spam

Postby NinjaPuppy » 24 Feb 2014, 02:51

Cool. Things were quiet while I was away. :D
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Whole new tin of spam

Postby SydneyPSIder » 28 Mar 2014, 16:34

It's getting hard to tell spammers and trolls apart from legitimate posters. Bumping old topics?
SydneyPSIder
 
Posts: 1124
Joined: 10 Sep 2012, 18:24

Next

Return to Suggestions / Feedback

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron