View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Why do most guys dismiss paranormal w/out researching it?

Discuss General Topics.

Re: Why do most guys dismiss paranormal w/out researching it?

Postby Franc28 » 25 Jun 2009, 05:12

I think the problem is in the way I formulate my replies. Sometimes I use "I" and sometimes I use "they." I should probably stop doing that.
Banned by the JREF Board for calling them on their "bullshit"...
Franc28
 
Posts: 70
Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 05:55






Re: Why do most guys dismiss paranormal w/out researching it?

Postby Scepcop » 25 Jun 2009, 11:17

Franc28 wrote:I think the problem is in the way I formulate my replies. Sometimes I use "I" and sometimes I use "they." I should probably stop doing that.


W: Well ok. lol

By the way, how did you get banned from JREF? What did you say? And what was the argument about?
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
User avatar
Scepcop
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: 16 May 2009, 07:29

Re: Why do most guys dismiss paranormal w/out researching it?

Postby Franc28 » 26 Jun 2009, 04:52

Surprisingly, not for the criticism. They banned me because I had the word "bullshit" on my sig.

This despite the fact that the number one skeptical show on the telly is called "Bullshit!"

I can't adequately express how retarded that is.

(not my funniest ban though: once I got banned from a Christian fundie's board for posting in rhyme)
Banned by the JREF Board for calling them on their "bullshit"...
Franc28
 
Posts: 70
Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 05:55

Re: Why do most guys dismiss paranormal w/out researching it?

Postby leo100 » 05 Jul 2009, 08:22

Don't know really it does appear to be that more women are more open to some paranormal phenomena then males

http://www.gallup.com/poll/19558/parano ... -some.aspx
leo100
 
Posts: 53
Joined: 21 May 2009, 23:22

Re: Why do most guys dismiss paranormal w/out researching it?

Postby Student of Sophia » 03 Aug 2009, 11:29

Sometimes it might be a control freak thing. A control freak might be threatened by the idea that psi exists and he doesn't control it.
Student of Sophia
 
Posts: 37
Joined: 01 Aug 2009, 23:37

Re: Why do most guys dismiss paranormal w/out researching it?

Postby gumpi » 03 Aug 2009, 19:39

I'm sure the same could be said for psychics who believe they can control psi. They are control freaks too, and often wrong. Ever seen lame attempts at cold reading on chat programs? You get the drift...

I think Franc is right here. He hasn't experienced anything paranormal so why should he believe any of it until he gets the evidence himself? That said, skepticism doesn't mean closing the mind to the possibility that there are paranormal phenomena. You just kept the mind on hold until the personal experience provides the evidence.
gumpi
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 02 Aug 2009, 20:37

Re: Why do most guys dismiss paranormal w/out researching it?

Postby Scepcop » 03 Aug 2009, 20:05

I wonder how Franc would explain the many documented cases from credible sources of psychics getting highly specific hits from sitters about things such as unusual details and secrets that could NOT have been determined from cold reading?

One time, my acting teacher's mom read my palm and felt that I had a tragedy and scars in my psyche from when I was 9 years old. It was very accurate. How can she tell from my face or clothes or through cold reading that I had a tragedy when I was 9 years old? That is not a general thing that applies to anyone. And she knew nothing about me beforehand that would lead her to say that.

Others have has deep dark secrets revealed by psychics, things that no one could have known about or researched. How does Franc and the skeptics explain that?

They can't, so they just deny it or assume fraud or information leakage or lucky guessing.

What Franc and the skeptics should keep in mind is that reality does not have the same limitations as the limitations in our field of vision.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
User avatar
Scepcop
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: 16 May 2009, 07:29

Re: Why do most guys dismiss paranormal w/out researching it?

Postby brett » 08 Aug 2009, 03:31

maybe its an EGO thing - you know men are not supposed to be afraid of anything - like mice - spiders- things that go bump in the night :lol: - and thus are dismissive of ghosties and ghoulies AND things that go bump in the night - ask yourself this - ( those of you who have a partner ) - if you both hear a noise in the night WHO gets sent to investigate ( replete with baseball bat ,AK47 or whatever :lol: )

also one has to consider the "social" aspects - of groups - and interests like the paranormal - where as most guys would rather go down the pub and talk beer , football and er ........ "relationships " - i have seen some mighty unhappy partners dragged along to "investigations " and dark mutterings of "huh , i could have been down the pub instead of standing here in the ( censored ) cold just because SHE has been watching most haunted on tv "

slightly tongue in cheek take on the question - but maybe nearer the truth than some may wish to admit ?? :lol: :lol:
LIFE - just filling the bits between birth, death and taxes
User avatar
brett
 
Posts: 436
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 22:23
Location: Plymouth UK

Re: Why do most guys dismiss paranormal w/out researching it?

Postby ciscop » 12 Aug 2009, 00:08

Scepcop wrote:I was wondering something. Have you noticed that most guys, esp western guys, think that the paranormal is all bunk without even bothering to investigate it first? Why do guys have such a strong bias against it? It's almost like a "guy thing" to think ESP, telepathy, astrology, ghosts, UFO's, etc. is all bunk or all coincidences.

This is especially true of guys who work in the banking industry or fields related to economics or mathematics.

So how come me and other guys who are into metaphysical things are different from most guys? Does that make us less macho since we are different from the norm?

I do notice though that older guys tend to be more open to something existing beyond the 5 senses, while younger guys discount it without ever asking questions or doing any research. Isn't that irrational for them to dismiss it all offhand, a priori, without even knowing anything about the subject?


personally i think this is just your perception of things
i have met economists way into the paranormal, i also have met older guys way skeptic
so... i think this is only your perception and not an actual study of how people thinks and behaves towards the paranormal
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
User avatar
ciscop
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: 22 Jul 2009, 12:04

Re: Why do most guys dismiss paranormal w/out researching it?

Postby Azrael » 12 Aug 2009, 02:57

Scepcop wrote:I wonder how Franc would explain the many documented cases from credible sources of psychics getting highly specific hits from sitters about things such as unusual details and secrets that could NOT have been determined from cold reading?


Cite these please.

One time, my acting teacher's mom read my palm and felt that I had a tragedy and scars in my psyche from when I was 9 years old. It was very accurate. How can she tell from my face or clothes or through cold reading that I had a tragedy when I was 9 years old? That is not a general thing that applies to anyone. And she knew nothing about me beforehand that would lead her to say that.


I guess you don't understand cold reading.

Others have has deep dark secrets revealed by psychics, things that no one could have known about or researched. How does Franc and the skeptics explain that?

They can't, so they just deny it or assume fraud or information leakage or lucky guessing.

When these things happen under controlled double blind conditions I'll take notice.
I'm always very skeptical of any situation where someone's notability hinges on their connection to another notable person
Azrael
 
Posts: 232
Joined: 23 Jul 2009, 02:32

Re: Why do most guys dismiss paranormal w/out researching it?

Postby ProfWag » 12 Aug 2009, 04:03

Scepcop wrote:I was wondering something. Have you noticed that most guys, esp western guys, think that the paranormal is all bunk without even bothering to investigate it first? Why do guys have such a strong bias against it? It's almost like a "guy thing" to think ESP, telepathy, astrology, ghosts, UFO's, etc. is all bunk or all coincidences.

This is especially true of guys who work in the banking industry or fields related to economics or mathematics.

Scepcop, this cracks me up. You present a thought concerning why men think "paranormal is all bunk" (without any reference on where you get "most guys, esp western guys" but that's not what tickles me) where just a few days ago, you start a thread entitled "3 out of 4 Americans believe in the paranormal." Soooooo, which is it?
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Why do most guys dismiss paranormal w/out researching it?

Postby Purple Scissor » 15 Aug 2009, 05:40

where just a few days ago, you start a thread entitled "3 out of 4 Americans believe in the paranormal." Soooooo, which is it?


Profwag has a point. I guess it would be that they dismiss the kind of paranormal they do not like, since most people are religious, which just puts a few years between them and the paranormal. Shrug.

When these things happen under controlled double blind conditions I'll take notice.


Take notice then, and please do your research before you come around being derisive.
Purple Scissor
 
Posts: 48
Joined: 12 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Why do most guys dismiss paranormal w/out researching it?

Postby JonDonnis » 16 Aug 2009, 18:24

Scepcop wrote:I was wondering something. Have you noticed that most guys, esp western guys, think that the paranormal is all bunk without even bothering to investigate it first? Why do guys have such a strong bias against it? It's almost like a "guy thing" to think ESP, telepathy, astrology, ghosts, UFO's, etc. is all bunk or all coincidences.

This is especially true of guys who work in the banking industry or fields related to economics or mathematics.

So how come me and other guys who are into metaphysical things are different from most guys? Does that make us less macho since we are different from the norm?

I do notice though that older guys tend to be more open to something existing beyond the 5 senses, while younger guys discount it without ever asking questions or doing any research. Isn't that irrational for them to dismiss it all offhand, a priori, without even knowing anything about the subject?



I completed a mediumship course, came top of the class, never cheated once, yet i still dont believe.
I question mediumship and the claims of psychics because i have stood in their shoes and know exactly how it works.
The only reason I didnt delude myself into believing I had magical powers was because of education.

Education will turn anybeliever into a skeptic in my opinion.
JonDonnis
 
Posts: 27
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 18:09

Re: Why do most guys dismiss paranormal w/out researching it?

Postby ProfWag » 16 Aug 2009, 19:02

I totally agree with you JonDonnis. I'd like to add to clarify though, that the education doesn't have to be a college degree type education, but just some objective learning about a particular subject.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Why do most guys dismiss paranormal w/out researching it?

Postby Purple Scissor » 18 Aug 2009, 07:29

I would agree in that much of what people believe is mediumship is really intuition, which is usually informal cold reading. Once you see yourself cold read a person and trace down why you thought what you thought, it is hard to believe in mediumship. Still, some of the results are reported to have no possible cold reading cues.
Purple Scissor
 
Posts: 48
Joined: 12 Jun 2009, 10:15

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron