[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Why do most guys dismiss paranormal w/out researching it? : General Discussions • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Why do most guys dismiss paranormal w/out researching it?

Discuss General Topics.

Why do most guys dismiss paranormal w/out researching it?

Postby Scepcop » 02 Jun 2009, 20:58

I was wondering something. Have you noticed that most guys, esp western guys, think that the paranormal is all bunk without even bothering to investigate it first? Why do guys have such a strong bias against it? It's almost like a "guy thing" to think ESP, telepathy, astrology, ghosts, UFO's, etc. is all bunk or all coincidences.

This is especially true of guys who work in the banking industry or fields related to economics or mathematics.

So how come me and other guys who are into metaphysical things are different from most guys? Does that make us less macho since we are different from the norm?

I do notice though that older guys tend to be more open to something existing beyond the 5 senses, while younger guys discount it without ever asking questions or doing any research. Isn't that irrational for them to dismiss it all offhand, a priori, without even knowing anything about the subject?
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: Why do most guys dismiss paranormal w/out researching it?

Postby Scepcop » 02 Jun 2009, 21:02

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby jakesteele » 05 Jun 2009, 13:38

I think it gets down to the different ways the male and female psyches are hardwired. Little girls like teddy bears, pink hearts, etc. while little boys like black, red or yellow Tonka Toy trucks, etc. I have noticed for years that there are different aspects of metaphysics that attract the sexes. Guys seem to be drawn to UFO type stuff because it's tangible, mechanical and would be more of a left brain type of thing.

Females seem to be drawn by Tarot, intuitive type things. Of Course, there's overlap, but in general that's been my observations.
Debunkers think all UFO photos are fake,
especially the real ones.
jakesteele

Postby Scepcop » 08 Jun 2009, 10:27

That's true Jake, but I was talking about the propensity of many men to automatically dismiss anything paranormal without researching or investigating it, or weighing the evidence objectively.

Most people are closed minded and only hear what they want to hear, and see what they want to see, through a filtration process. Few people are truly open to all truth from every angle.
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby jakesteele » 08 Jun 2009, 15:24

Debunkers think all UFO photos are fake,
especially the real ones.
jakesteele

Postby Scepcop » 09 Jun 2009, 20:39

It is foolish of course, that's why I'm wondering why so many guys, especially typical guys, do it, as if it were a "guy thing" to dismiss the paranormal, especially astrology or ghosts, as if they know better than to buy any of it.

Haven't you seen a lot of guys do that too, as though it were a "guy thing"?
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Eteponge » 15 Jun 2009, 15:24

Oddly, most of the people I've personally known who are Anti-Paranormal are female. And they are super skeptic types. One I tried to just have a nice casual conversation on the topic with when it got brought up, and I brought up some interesting compelling evidence in some areas, and she responded cynically and condescendingly, "Oh, I think you're just a sucker who believes everything he hears!" When the stuff I was commenting on was well researched and easily checkable stuff, not "gullibly obtained" at all. But many guys I know are super skeptics as well. I guess it all depends on who you meet and who you bring the topic up around.
"I think Eteponge's Blog is a pretty cool guy. eh debates Skeptics and doesnt afraid of anything."
Eteponge

Postby Franc28 » 16 Jun 2009, 16:00

Well, I can tell you why I dismiss it. I dismiss the paranormal out of hand because it simply doesn't relate to my experience. I've never experienced anything designated as paranormal. I've experienced a few strange things, but nothing that would get me to accept the existence of the paranormal.
Banned by the JREF Board for calling them on their "bullshit"...
Franc28

Postby Scepcop » 18 Jun 2009, 00:39

Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Franc28 » 18 Jun 2009, 04:22

Franc28

Postby Scepcop » 18 Jun 2009, 09:27

Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Franc28 » 18 Jun 2009, 09:48

Franc28

Postby Scepcop » 18 Jun 2009, 13:51

Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Franc28 » 18 Jun 2009, 15:33

Franc28

Postby Scepcop » 24 Jun 2009, 18:36

Franc28,
I'm not attributing the pseudo-skeptics' arguments to you. I'm merely pointing out their fallacies. But you seem to be taking it as if I were attributing them to you personally. We seem to have a misunderstanding here.
Scepcop
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussions