View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

will the REAL csicop please stand up

Discuss General Topics.

will the REAL csicop please stand up

Postby brett » 24 Oct 2009, 12:37

whilst looking for something else , i stumbled upon this rather interesting article - worth a read ;)

http://www.tricksterbook.com/ArticlesOnline/CSICOPoverview.htm

edited later :: - you know I REALLY must get some new glasses :oops: :roll:
LIFE - just filling the bits between birth, death and taxes
brett

Re: will the REAL csicop please stand up

Postby Hellboy » 25 Nov 2009, 03:43

Hiya Brett,

I find it strange no-one has commented on this article.............. especially csicop! ;) :lol:
Hellboy

Postby ciscop » 25 Nov 2009, 04:07

you mean me?
i am CISCOP not CSICOP
hahaha

is an interesting article
more than anything there is this paragraph
CSICOP can be regarded as the first case of ongoing, organized debunking of the paranormal,4 but there are some precursors. Prior to the organization of CSICOP, attacks on the paranormal have come largely from three groups: magicians, academic psychologists, and rationalists/atheists.

I belong to those 3 groups
i am a psychologist, i am a magician and i am an atheist..
so i wonder if that means i am an uberskeptic or something like that.
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby ciscop » 25 Nov 2009, 04:13

brett wrote:whilst looking for something else , i stumbled upon this rather interesting article - worth a read ;)

http://www.tricksterbook.com/ArticlesOnline/CSICOPoverview.htm

edited later :: - you know I REALLY must get some new glasses :oops: :roll:

me too!!!
i slept reading this sunday with my glasses on and i broke them
is being 2 days without glasses... my head hurts!!!
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby Hellboy » 25 Nov 2009, 04:38

Ciscop wrote:
you mean me?
i am CISCOP not CSICOP
hahaha

I know! :roll: I was being facetious.

Ciscop wrote:

So what! I am not interested in whether you identify with the organisation or whether you agree with their stance. My enquiry was about how forum members view the article, whether they agree or disagree with the information and opinions given. Albeit in a succinct and logical way that looks at both sides of the debate.

Perhaps I was asking too much of you csicop? :roll:
Hellboy

Postby ciscop » 25 Nov 2009, 07:42

mmm.... yeah right...

i already commented on the article
what else you want me to add ?
ciscop

Postby Hellboy » 25 Nov 2009, 15:08

ciscop wrote:

No you have not! I doubt whether you have even read all of it, hence you lack of commentray. Your only comment spoke volumes, i.e- you only identified with information that agrees with your prior assumptions about the organisation. As before you fail to adress any other points from the article.
Perhaps you are in denial? :lol:
Hellboy

Postby ciscop » 25 Nov 2009, 16:17

Hellboy wrote:ciscop wrote:

No you have not! I doubt whether you have even read all of it, hence you lack of commentray. Your only comment spoke volumes, i.e- you only identified with information that agrees with your prior assumptions about the organisation. As before you fail to adress any other points from the article.
Perhaps you are in denial? :lol:

you are inferring way too much an as usual you are totally wrong
now i need to adress EVERY part of the article? im pretty sure you havent even read the article!!

this is your comment about the article
find it strange no-one has commented on this article.............. especially csicop!

i at least quoted the article, you hipocrite, what did you do? just commented ON ME..

you havent commented the article and yet you accuse of me of being as low as you are
i guess i offended you in some way hellboy, but i dont care
i dont even know whats your fix in gullibleness but i guess you wont even share right?
ciscop

Postby Hellboy » 26 Nov 2009, 03:38

i dont even know whats your fix in gullibleness but i guess you wont even share right?

Ah what a surprise, ciscop posting insults and assumptions based on what evidence? If you cannot debate without resorting to Ad-Hominem and making false accusations based on your imagination, then why bother?

you haven’t commented the article

I read the article several years ago and agree with most of what has been written. Therefore I have not much to add in terms of a critique. However, since your username is a play on the organisations acronym I thought you would be interested in posting some form of rebuttal. Since a portion of the article is a critique of CSICOP and some of the organisations transgressions. I was under the mistaken view that you might be interested in discussing the article as a whole.
Since you refrained from doing so, one can only conclude that you did not for one of the following reasons:

(a) You cannot be bothered.

(b) You do not agree what is written in the article yet cannot exactly why state why?

(c) You are in denial; because it might contradict you own thoughts about the organisation.

(d) You haven’t got the time.

(e) You are too stupid.

(f) Or you agree with everything that is written in article.

you are inferring way too much

Oh really, lets look at one of of your quotes then.

And you call yourself Ciscop, not too much of a stretch is it to assume that you agree with the organisations cause, aims, methods....etc. Or maybe I am wrong and you disagree with the aforementioned organisations stance.

Hence my surprise when you posted nothing of any substance merely stating you are a uberskeptic, which is not exactly a startling revelation. I expected at least some sort of analysis and rebuttal, not one-liners!

i guess i offended you in some way hellboy

Nope you have not; your reluctance to engage in a meaningful debate does offend, as the whole process becomes an exercise in futility.

but i guess you wont even share right?
WHY NOT ASK?

an as usual you are totally wrong

If by your assertion that I am usually wrong then I suggest you state exactly when, where and why . Otherwise this is just another one of your nonsensical comments without out any evidence to back it up with.

Understand?
Hellboy

Postby ProfWag » 26 Nov 2009, 05:50

Well, this quote from the article tickled my pickle:
" Gary Posner, an M.D. and leader of the Tampa Bay Skeptics, has claimed that believers in the paranormal may have a pathological medical condition, saying they may be “afflicted with a thought disorder that manifests in ... a faulty sense of reality” and their “irrational behavior ... may be more compatible with a diagnosis of ambulatory schizophrenia . . . than with mere naivete” (1978, p. 79)."
Do you think I could talk Scepcop into putting that on the front page of this web site right next to the article claiming that pathological skepticism is conducive to illness? Oh wait. Sorry. I wasn't going to say anything negative for a couple days but I did. I apologize. Okay, starting...now!
ProfWag

Postby ciscop » 26 Nov 2009, 07:32

I read the article several years ago and agree with most of what has been written. Therefore I have not much to add in terms of a critique. However, since your username is a play on the organisations acronym I thought you would be interested in posting some form of rebuttal.

I guess you dont speak spanish (nor any other language but your native one) so i will go down to your level and try to explain it to you
CISCOP, in spanish would be pronounced as CHISCO wich means Funny, i only added the p, so it will be like COP at the end... a funny police if you will. a private joke, did you understand that or do i need Sesame Street language to get to your level?

(a) You cannot be bothered.

you dont bother me, you amuse me :D

(b) You do not agree what is written in the article yet cannot exactly why state why?

who said i didnt agree with the article? i just dont care

(c) You are in denial; because it might contradict you own thoughts about the organisation.

what are my thoughts on the organization??

(d) You haven’t got the time.

nah i did read it, i just found interesting what i already commented
i thought it was kind of serendipity, quite funny.. i actually since then read some other articles from that page, is pretty cool. (i liked the one about the magicians that ¨believe¨ in psi) but well lets go back to you

(e) You are too stupid.

haha you are such an hipocrite, first you acuse me of ad hominem and now you see? an insult hahaha
:lol: :lol: :lol: now a word from our host Bill Cosby
“A word to the wise ain't necessary, it is the stupid ones who need all the advice” Bill Cosby
and i will try to help and educate you my stupid friend.

(f) Or you agree with everything that is written in article.

who says that i agree?, i just dont care

so i wonder if that means i am an uberskeptic or something like that

And you call yourself Ciscop, not too much of a stretch is it to assume that you agree with the organisations cause, aims, methods....etc. Or maybe I am wrong and you disagree with the aforementioned organisations stance. .

Ciscop comes from CHISCO... and i dont agree with the entire organization but i agree with people in it in a lot of cases like BF.Skinner, Randi and Nickell, at the end of the day, i cant and wont support everything csicop does.

Hence my surprise when you posted nothing of any substance merely stating you are a uberskeptic, which is not exactly a startling revelation. I expected at least some sort of analysis and rebuttal, not one-liners!

again.. i didnt say i was an uberskeptic i said, i WONDER that makes me an uberskeptic, but i guess, no! i KNOW you cant read above a 3rd level class..

PS: oneliners are my thing!, the only reason i am here is to have fun and learn something in the process to create new mentalism routines (mentalism=magic do you understand or you want me to explain?)

but i guess you wont even share right?
WHY NOT ASK?

all right, what do you believe in?

PD. i tryed to stay away from big words,
lets not forget you even had a problem with wonder, !!
as in
I WONDER if you will reply a long comment now
or
I WONDER if you tell us exactly what do you believe in
or
i WONDER if you went to a special school where you got to wear helmets and diapers

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ciscop

Postby NinjaPuppy » 27 Nov 2009, 06:30

NinjaPuppy

Postby ciscop » 27 Nov 2009, 07:51

NinjaPuppy wrote:

nice! i love sarcastic comments
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ciscop

Postby ciscop » 27 Nov 2009, 23:39

soo???
i guess hellboy is too busy hugging strangers on the street
ciscop

Postby NinjaPuppy » 28 Nov 2009, 04:03

If he lives in the US, he may be off celebrating the holiday or perhaps he has been turned off by the comments posted here.
NinjaPuppy

Next

Return to General Discussions