View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Why am I so Wrong? by ProfWag

Discuss General Topics.

Re: Why am I so Wrong? by ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 14 Oct 2009, 23:46

OK, I'm lost on this pizza thing. It's probably because characters like Spicoli were a dime a dozen in my high school and I'm talking about the teachers, not the students. I need a connection here ProfWag.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44






Re: Why am I so Wrong? by ProfWag

Postby ProfWag » 14 Oct 2009, 23:50

NinjaPuppy wrote:OK, I'm lost on this pizza thing. It's probably because characters like Spicoli were a dime a dozen in my high school and I'm talking about the teachers, not the students. I need a connection here ProfWag.

No connection, just off topic. Ciscop asked if I bring skeptic discussions into my classroom and I responded with the pizza story. Sorry for getting off topic. 'Course, I do most of my teaching online these days so I don't get a chance to do the pizza routine much anymore. Shame. :-)
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Why am I so Wrong? by ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 15 Oct 2009, 01:03

ProfWag wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:OK, I'm lost on this pizza thing. It's probably because characters like Spicoli were a dime a dozen in my high school and I'm talking about the teachers, not the students. I need a connection here ProfWag.

No connection, just off topic. Ciscop asked if I bring skeptic discussions into my classroom and I responded with the pizza story. Sorry for getting off topic. 'Course, I do most of my teaching online these days so I don't get a chance to do the pizza routine much anymore. Shame. :-)

Ahhh, that explains it. I thought it was just me as I'm not on my 'A' game today. Not enough sleep last night.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Why am I so Wrong? by ProfWag

Postby brett » 15 Oct 2009, 02:20

NinjaPuppy wrote:
brett wrote:please define a " pesudo beleiver "

:? thanks


What are you doing up so late Mister? Oh and LOL to pseudo believer. Don't tell me, let me guess..... ciscop?


when i cant sleep - i hit the net - have an hour or so doing the rounds ( and a cup of tea and puff my pipe ) and then go back to bed - usually i can find something to send me back to sleep :lol: :lol:
LIFE - just filling the bits between birth, death and taxes
User avatar
brett
 
Posts: 436
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 22:23
Location: Plymouth UK

Re: Why am I so Wrong? by ProfWag

Postby ProfWag » 15 Oct 2009, 03:00

brett wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:
brett wrote:please define a " pesudo beleiver "

:? thanks


What are you doing up so late Mister? Oh and LOL to pseudo believer. Don't tell me, let me guess..... ciscop?


when i cant sleep - i hit the net - have an hour or so doing the rounds ( and a cup of tea and puff my pipe ) and then go back to bed - usually i can find something to send me back to sleep :lol: :lol:

And if I can't sleep, I watch a Blueprint for Truth video by Richard Gage. Out like a light. In fact, I haven't made it 2 minutes into that thing yet. You should try it... ;-)
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Why am I so Wrong? by ProfWag

Postby ciscop » 15 Oct 2009, 13:15

NinjaPuppy wrote:
brett wrote:please define a " pesudo beleiver "

:? thanks


What are you doing up so late Mister? Oh and LOL to pesudo beleiver. Don't tell me, let me guess..... ciscop?



uuh? what did i do
i didnt get it :?
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
User avatar
ciscop
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: 22 Jul 2009, 12:04

Re: Why am I so Wrong? by ProfWag

Postby brett » 15 Oct 2009, 13:56

when i cant sleep - i hit the net - have an hour or so doing the rounds ( and a cup of tea and puff my pipe ) and then go back to bed - usually i can find something to send me back to sleep :lol: :lol:[/quote]
And if I can't sleep, I watch a Blueprint for Truth video by Richard Gage. Out like a light. In fact, I haven't made it 2 minutes into that thing yet. You should try it... ;-)[/quote]

i have watched it and other video presentations both for and against right through - ( blueprint for truth 2 times ) - and found them most interesting and informative - with respect , if you don't watch all the arguments and not just the ones that suit your current standpoint , then how can you get a fair and balanced view of the arguments presented ?? - i found some of the "anti truthers" videos somewhat boring - but in the interests of fair comment watched them through

what it has left me with are more questions than answers - but then i console myself with the thought that much information about some of the things that went on during the 2nd world war are only now coming to light , so i may be long gone if and when the real facts do come out about what happened that day - and also the thought that those REALLY responsible will receive their judgement eventually - all things end in judgement ;)
LIFE - just filling the bits between birth, death and taxes
User avatar
brett
 
Posts: 436
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 22:23
Location: Plymouth UK

Re: Why am I so Wrong? by ProfWag

Postby brett » 15 Oct 2009, 13:59

ciscop wrote:uuh? what did i do
i didnt get it :?


nah you are OK csicop - not guilty this time :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LIFE - just filling the bits between birth, death and taxes
User avatar
brett
 
Posts: 436
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 22:23
Location: Plymouth UK

Re: Why am I so Wrong? by ProfWag

Postby Purple Scissor » 15 Oct 2009, 18:18

ProfWag, I have not read much of this except part of your opening post. But in the past I have found you to be great. We need you. So stay around, or if not that, then keep talking to people, and you will place the debate on a higher level.
Purple Scissor
 
Posts: 48
Joined: 12 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Why am I so Wrong? by ProfWag

Postby ProfWag » 15 Oct 2009, 22:25

Purple Scissor wrote:ProfWag, I have not read much of this except part of your opening post. But in the past I have found you to be great. We need you. So stay around, or if not that, then keep talking to people, and you will place the debate on a higher level.

Thanks Purple! I wasn't planning on going anywhere, but was feeling a little frustrated lately... :-)
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Why am I so Wrong? by ProfWag

Postby ciscop » 15 Oct 2009, 22:28

brett wrote:
ciscop wrote:uuh? what did i do
i didnt get it :?


nah you are OK csicop - not guilty this time :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


This Time

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
User avatar
ciscop
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: 22 Jul 2009, 12:04

Re: Why am I so Wrong? by ProfWag

Postby ProfWag » 15 Oct 2009, 22:49

brett wrote:
i have watched it and other video presentations both for and against right through - ( blueprint for truth 2 times ) - and found them most interesting and informative - with respect , if you don't watch all the arguments and not just the ones that suit your current standpoint , then how can you get a fair and balanced view of the arguments presented ?? - i found some of the "anti truthers" videos somewhat boring - but in the interests of fair comment watched them through

what it has left me with are more questions than answers - but then i console myself with the thought that much information about some of the things that went on during the 2nd world war are only now coming to light , so i may be long gone if and when the real facts do come out about what happened that day - and also the thought that those REALLY responsible will receive their judgement eventually - all things end in judgement ;)

Well, you make a good point Brett about how I can get a fair and balance view of arguments if I don't watch all arguments. Here's how. During the last US Presidential campaign, I did not see every speech, presentation, or condidate views on all subjects, but what I did see was enough to form my opinion on who to vote for. I believe that would be the same with everyone. Virtually no one outside of the intimate circle of the candidate themselves sees or knows everything about a particular candidate, but enough to form an opinion and electing your countries president is one of the most important things you can do (just don't get me started on the Electoral College). So, I've seen Mr. Gage in several videos and debates. I've read his website thoroughly. I've also looked pretty close at the source of those who present conspiracy theories to see if there appears to be any deception. Simply put, there is a lot from the "Truthers." Mr. Gage is an architect and leads you to believe he's an expert in 100 story buildings. He hasn't done much of anything taller than 3 stories. Dr. Griffin sounds impressive with his Ph.D after his name, but it's a Ph.D in Theology. The whole MIT engineer thing that turned out to be a guy who's engineering degree was actually electrical engineering that knows nothing of demolitions. I'm not saying they hide these facts, but they certainly don't go out of their way to share them either. I've looked at the for and the against. I've made my conclusions. Unless something earth shattering is presented that's different than what I've seen, then I'm confident in my opinion. Bottom line with your question, would you watch a video on how to invest your money when it's presented by someone who is not affiliated with the banking industry? Similar situation with the Blueprint video.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Why am I so Wrong? by ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 15 Oct 2009, 23:38

ProfWag wrote: would you watch a video on how to invest your money when it's presented by someone who is not affiliated with the banking industry?

If I had the time and it came recommended by someone as a video I might be interested in watching, I will watch it. The real question is, would I take the advice based on the information in that video. No. I never do something like invest without checking out a few resources and comparing the advice. Then I begin to check out the person's credentials to verify their information.

I'm not known to accept anything that anyone says, hook, line and sinker. I do like to believe that people are honest but I'm not blind to the fact that there are always three sides to every story. His, hers and the truth.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Why am I so Wrong? by ProfWag

Postby ProfWag » 16 Oct 2009, 00:12

NinjaPuppy wrote:I'm not known to accept anything that anyone says, hook, line and sinker. I do like to believe that people are honest but I'm not blind to the fact that there are always three sides to every story. His, hers and the truth.

Good on ya' NinjaPuppy! Now, if we could just get that through to some of the other people we know who appear honest, sincere, blah blah blah.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Why am I so Wrong? by ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 16 Oct 2009, 00:37

ProfWag wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:I'm not known to accept anything that anyone says, hook, line and sinker. I do like to believe that people are honest but I'm not blind to the fact that there are always three sides to every story. His, hers and the truth.

Good on ya' NinjaPuppy! Now, if we could just get that through to some of the other people we know who appear honest, sincere, blah blah blah.

Agreed. However, doing that under a blanket statement or opinion formed solely on beliefs will not be very effective. If someone is dead set on doing something, then you can only offer your opinion and point them in the direction of your findings that may vary from what they have been told. You can urge them to heed warnings when you know of information that says otherwise. Once you've done that, then you must sit back and wait. At the same time, if you have not taken the time to evalute their opinions and information saying otherwise, while you expect another person to take yours blindly, the both parties are equally guilty of being closed minded.

What I find to be the most irritating thing is when someone puts out a piece of information for discussion and an opposing view slams it down without any intelligent discussion. It's usually accompanied by a few choice names, some uncalled for nasty commentary, defamation of the original sources charater or credentials, etc. Now I'm not talking about you ProfWag or even skeptics. Just the way some discussion topics are addressed which can really throw off any chances of good, heated debate with possible value.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron