View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Soldiergirl and other haters keep returning, what can we do?

Discuss General Topics.

Re: Soldiergirl and other haters keep returning, what can we do?

Postby ProfWag » 29 Sep 2009, 21:25

Scepcop wrote:As to ProfWag,
Maybe he would make a good moderator too, but as you all know, he and I clash on a lot of issues. And it's not a good idea for a forum owner and a moderator to be in general disagreement on things of course. Likewise, the owner of a company would never hire a manager (even if he's very competent and good) whose views clash with his either, right? Same case in principle. It's best that we work with people we have a natural synergy with, or at least have no personality conflicts with.

Besides, he is on "the other side" of the debate and theme of this website. It would be like the JREF forum having a paranormalist or pro-paranormal person for a moderator lol :) Imagine that.

I'm sure you know my offer was made in jest. I wouldn't really want to be a moderator as I prefer free speech and believe that if someone says something too far off base, it's best to just ignore them (even if I'm not very successful in that last part...) :-)
ProfWag

Postby ciscop » 30 Sep 2009, 03:10

ProfWag wrote:
Maybe he would make a good moderator too, but as you all know, he and I clash on a lot of issues. And it's not a good idea for a forum owner and a moderator to be in general disagreement on things of course. Likewise, the owner of a company would never hire a manager (even if he's very competent and good) whose views clash with his either, right? Same case in principle. It's best that we work with people we have a natural synergy with, or at least have no personality conflicts with.

Besides, he is on "the other side" of the debate and theme of this website. It would be like the JREF forum having a paranormalist or pro-paranormal person for a moderator lol :) Imagine that.

I'm sure you know my offer was made in jest. I wouldn't really want to be a moderator as I prefer free speech and believe that if someone says something too far off base, it's best to just ignore them (even if I'm not very successful in that last part...) :-)

me neither.. i am way too much into humor to ignore it ;)
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby formosan » 02 Oct 2009, 17:51

Scepcop wrote:
ciscop wrote:so closing down the registration will do winston :)
althought ill be a shame not to get new people with new stories to tell :(

That would majorly hinder the operation of this forum and its purpose! And it would be letting them win too! No way. How many IP's can they have before we ban them all? How can they be creating new IP's? How is that possible?

If they are skilled with information technology, they can effectively change IP addresses to a very wide variety of locations. Since they do not need to get a connection in real time, they can bounce through ten different countries and appear to be in a different hemisphere.

If they are just hopping over from one seat to another at a public library, you can ban the IP range of that library.

Quite a few web forums post the apparent IPs of visitors with each post. However, given skilled use of a disposable IP, a troll can register in a forum and then change his IP each time he visits.

Basically, you pick up these techniques as you become a skilled system administrator and network administrator. (If you specialize in computer security, you can do a bunch of stuff, but frankly it's *work* and no sane person would bother to do it without being paid. Furthermore, serious techniques require serious outlays of resources. If you're willing to rent a server and spend forty hours a week doing IT work, you can do lots of stuff, but most trolls are bored amateurs trying to amuse themselves on the cheap.)

However, developing skill takes time and practice. In the mean time, hire extra moderators and specify a code of ethics that forces them to avoid obvious logical fallacies.

If you happen to be a cop in the same jurisdiction as your troll, and if you can find his physical IP, you can reasonably use your enforcement authority to get loads of personal information on your troll. However, this will not help you much against a guy who seems to be in Russia one minute, then in North Korea the next minute.
formosan

Postby Scepcop » 04 Oct 2009, 15:25

ProfWag wrote:
Eteponge wrote:Yay for Ninja Puppy as a new moderator. :D

There are times when Scepcop and I aren't on the Forum, so another Moderator will definitely benefit the forum. ;)

Can I be a moderator too? I'd love to be able to delete all the unsubstantiated crap I see on here...

Unsubstantiated crap like what? You mean like paranormal claims? We may disagree on what is "unsubstantiated" and thus you may delete what I prefer to keep!

Besides, you would have to delete many posts, too many :)
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 04 Oct 2009, 15:47

ProfWag wrote:

I'm all for free speech too, but it has to be within reason. I mean if someone types the F word a hundred times in one post and nothing else but that, would you allow it?

Or if I wrote out your real name on this forum and said you were a murderer and rapist, would you not want that post removed?

Or what if someone kept posting pics of feces here? Would you want that to stay?

Come on now. There has to be some guidelines at least.

Nevertheless, this forum's rules are far more lax than most.

You should see Alex Jones' forum. It's run like a police state, even though he says he's against a police sate. Very hypocritical.

I do admit my flaws too. Sometimes I am quick to anger, and lose my temper and am condescending to those I debate or debunk. (in case you haven't noticed)
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby NinjaPuppy » 05 Oct 2009, 01:36

Scepcop wrote:I do admit my flaws too. Sometimes I am quick to anger, and lose my temper and am condescending to those I debate or debunk. (in case you haven't noticed)

I like to think of it as 'passionate' about the subject matter. At one point or another during debates that we feel very close to, I think that we all wish that we had a 'nuke that sucker' button on our computer. Since we don't, we try our best to get our point across and sometimes tempers will flare a bit.

There is a very big difference between a heated debate and an all out flame war that winds up being nothing more than name calling or a string of well thought out curse words used to break up the flow of a topic to tire out your opponent.

IMO as long as the poster is attacking the subject matter and not the person, it's fair game. Once a post results in nothing but name calling without any further input on the topic at hand, it's GAME OVER! If the best you can do is to start insulting the opponents intelligence or personal situation, you have obviously run out of intelligent input yourself.
NinjaPuppy

Postby sunset » 05 Oct 2009, 18:52

Congratulations on Becoming a Mod N/Puppy! xx
sunset

Postby NinjaPuppy » 05 Oct 2009, 20:00

Thank you Sunset.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Scepcop » 07 Oct 2009, 14:12

Hi all, I've been away from this forum for a while now. We are near the CA Redwoods now, near the Mendocino Coast. It's nice here with quiet beaches and forests, totally relaxed compared to the nasty SF Bay Area. lol

So anyway I was just checking if those bashers/haters returned again. Have they posted again?
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby ciscop » 07 Oct 2009, 14:25

no
i think ninjapuppy scare them away

nobody messes with the puppy
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby NinjaPuppy » 07 Oct 2009, 18:23

ImageIt has been quiet around here, boss.

NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 07 Oct 2009, 20:53

Scepcop wrote:I'm all for free speech too, but it has to be within reason. I mean if someone types the F word a hundred times in one post and nothing else but that, would you allow it?

Or if I wrote out your real name on this forum and said you were a murderer and rapist, would you not want that post removed?

Or what if someone kept posting pics of feces here? Would you want that to stay?

Come on now. There has to be some guidelines at least.

Nevertheless, this forum's rules are far more lax than most.

You should see Alex Jones' forum. It's run like a police state, even though he says he's against a police sate. Very hypocritical.

I do admit my flaws too. Sometimes I am quick to anger, and lose my temper and am condescending to those I debate or debunk. (in case you haven't noticed)

Yes, I totally agree with you on this post. I wasn't thinking along the lines of slander or the like, but you're right. I guess I was simply thinking of free speech as defined by the law. There are boundaries there also. I do appreciate the lax rules, but I'm all for keeping it as "mature" as possible.
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 07 Oct 2009, 21:47

ProfWag wrote:Yes, I totally agree with you on this post. I wasn't thinking along the lines of slander or the like, but you're right. I guess I was simply thinking of free speech as defined by the law. There are boundaries there also. I do appreciate the lax rules, but I'm all for keeping it as "mature" as possible.

Freedom of speech and/or freedom of expression is something that is considered a basic Human Right in many countries around the globe. Acting like a total jerk on an Internet forum... ummmm, not so much.

BTW - My statement is NOT pointed at anyone currently on this forum.
NinjaPuppy

Previous

Return to General Discussions