View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Soldiergirl and other haters keep returning, what can we do?

Discuss General Topics.

Re: Soldiergirl and other haters keep returning, what can we do?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 27 Sep 2009, 06:43

Now as to the multiple IPs, that's easy. If these people are using computers in a library or public facility, blocking them will take time. Each computer has it's own IP in addition to the ISP. If you have access to multiple public computers you have access to different IP numbers. Once each of the computers in that location are blocked, the troll needs to find a new location that contains different public computers.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44






Re: Soldiergirl and other haters keep returning, what can we do?

Postby The Warrigal » 27 Sep 2009, 07:01

NinjaPuppy.

I think that you would make an exellent Moderator, as would Professor Wag.

Both of you are fair minded and could do this job with an even hand.

I lack the computer skill necessary for such a task but if you and Professor Wag have the time for this and the interest, I would vote for either or both of you.

This Forum is growing rapidly and thus needs additional Mods who are capable and fair.

This is but one of a very few Forums which I find enjoyable enough to use my hunt and stab typing technique to post at. :oops:

The company here is good value in my opinion and has the potential to be even better.

Speaking for myself, I learn much from people on both sides of the paranormal debate and relish reading the input of serious posters at this site.
The Warrigal
 
Posts: 119
Joined: 22 Jun 2009, 11:44

Re: Soldiergirl and other haters keep returning, what can we do?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 27 Sep 2009, 09:58

The Warrigal wrote:NinjaPuppy.

I think that you would make an exellent Moderator, as would Professor Wag.

Both of you are fair minded and could do this job with an even hand.

I lack the computer skill necessary for such a task but if you and Professor Wag have the time for this and the interest, I would vote for either or both of you.

This Forum is growing rapidly and thus needs additional Mods who are capable and fair.

This is but one of a very few Forums which I find enjoyable enough to use my hunt and stab typing technique to post at. :oops:

The company here is good value in my opinion and has the potential to be even better.

Speaking for myself, I learn much from people on both sides of the paranormal debate and relish reading the input of serious posters at this site.

Thank you for your lovely comment Warrigal. Also, I agree with you that ProfWag would be another good candidate for a Mod here.

Like you, I learn a lot from both sides from the debates. Some days I can get lost just reading the links to the various subject matter or websites suggested by various members. I've also made up a 'to do' list of books and reading material mentioned in the forum.

I believe we have an excellent core group establishing here and if the trolls and spammers can be kept at bay, it might encourage others to participate more. No one wants to be humiliated by some pathetic troll flinging malicious unjustified remarks. Nor do I care to read their vile attempts to scare people away.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Soldiergirl and other haters keep returning, what can we do?

Postby Scepcop » 27 Sep 2009, 10:45

NinjaPuppy wrote:
Scepcop wrote:So Ninjapuppy, do you want to be a moderator? :)


Hmmmmm, that is quite an auspicious offer Scepcop. I am willing to give it a test drive and see how it goes.


Ok great. I'll make you a moderator then. You can team up with Eteponge now :)

Have you used a moderator control panel before? Do you need me to explain the features of it to you? Or are you already familiar with it? You will find the link to it somewhere near the top. It can be accessed when you are in a thread and when you are viewing threads in the forum body. Let me know if you need any instructions with it.

Welcome to the SCEPCOP mod team :)
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
User avatar
Scepcop
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: 16 May 2009, 07:29

Re: Soldiergirl and other haters keep returning, what can we do?

Postby Scepcop » 27 Sep 2009, 10:50

As to ProfWag,
Maybe he would make a good moderator too, but as you all know, he and I clash on a lot of issues. And it's not a good idea for a forum owner and a moderator to be in general disagreement on things of course. Likewise, the owner of a company would never hire a manager (even if he's very competent and good) whose views clash with his either, right? Same case in principle. It's best that we work with people we have a natural synergy with, or at least have no personality conflicts with.

Besides, he is on "the other side" of the debate and theme of this website. It would be like the JREF forum having a paranormalist or pro-paranormal person for a moderator lol :) Imagine that.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
User avatar
Scepcop
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: 16 May 2009, 07:29

Re: Soldiergirl and other haters keep returning, what can we do?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 27 Sep 2009, 10:52

Scepcop wrote:Ok great. I'll make you a moderator then. You can team up with Eteponge now :)

Have you used a moderator control panel before? Do you need me to explain the features of it to you? Or are you already familiar with it? You will find the link to it somewhere near the top. It can be accessed when you are in a thread and when you are viewing threads in the forum body. Let me know if you need any instructions with it.

Welcome to the SCEPCOP mod team :)

Thank you SCEPCOP. I have been around a Mod control panel or two or three in my lifetime but not one of this type. I create and manage websites in my spare time so I can usually figure most things out as I go along. Hopefully I will be able to muddle through this system. Don't worry, I know where to find you and Eteponge should I require guidance.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Soldiergirl and other haters keep returning, what can we do?

Postby Eteponge » 27 Sep 2009, 13:03

Yay for Ninja Puppy as a new moderator. :D

There are times when Scepcop and I aren't on the Forum, so another Moderator will definitely benefit the forum. ;)
"I think Eteponge's Blog is a pretty cool guy. eh debates Skeptics and doesnt afraid of anything."
User avatar
Eteponge
 
Posts: 300
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 13:26

Re: Soldiergirl and other haters keep returning, what can we do?

Postby ProfWag » 27 Sep 2009, 19:50

Eteponge wrote:Yay for Ninja Puppy as a new moderator. :D

There are times when Scepcop and I aren't on the Forum, so another Moderator will definitely benefit the forum. ;)

Can I be a moderator too? I'd love to be able to delete all the unsubstantiated crap I see on here...
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Soldiergirl and other haters keep returning, what can we do?

Postby Eteponge » 27 Sep 2009, 20:10

ProfWag wrote:
Eteponge wrote:Yay for Ninja Puppy as a new moderator. :D

There are times when Scepcop and I aren't on the Forum, so another Moderator will definitely benefit the forum. ;)

Can I be a moderator too? I'd love to be able to delete all the unsubstantiated crap I see on here...

Image
"I think Eteponge's Blog is a pretty cool guy. eh debates Skeptics and doesnt afraid of anything."
User avatar
Eteponge
 
Posts: 300
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 13:26

Re: Soldiergirl and other haters keep returning, what can we do?

Postby ProfWag » 27 Sep 2009, 21:30

Eteponge wrote:
ProfWag wrote:
Eteponge wrote:Yay for Ninja Puppy as a new moderator. :D

There are times when Scepcop and I aren't on the Forum, so another Moderator will definitely benefit the forum. ;)

Can I be a moderator too? I'd love to be able to delete all the unsubstantiated crap I see on here...

Image

I take it that's a no? :-)
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Soldiergirl and other haters keep returning, what can we do?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 27 Sep 2009, 21:57

ProfWag wrote:Can I be a moderator too? I'd love to be able to delete all the unsubstantiated crap I see on here...


Last night, I spent some time going through the forum looking for offensive remarks that had zero bearing on the topics at hand. As time permits I will keep looking for more of these offensive 'pearls of wisdom' and attempt to erase any blatant offending (troll) comments. Meanwhile, since I usually read just about everything posted here, I hope to be able to nip the returning trolls in the bud before it becomes a major problem.

As to "unsubstantiated crap"... there aren't enough hours in the day. :shock: SCEPCOP and Eteponge have established that their forum policies are fair to all. They are people with a common interest in paranormal subjects and not playground monitors. Everyone here is obviously passionate about their beliefs and it shows in each and every topic on this forum. Correct me if I'm wrong, but IMO, this group has presented some darned good arguments 'for' and 'against' with excellent information and citations. (I said 'arguments' people, not proof, so don't go wild here) It's only natural that opposing viewpoints will spark heated comments. If y'all weren't so damned intelligent and passionate about these subjects, this place would be just like every other boring forum. This place is far from boring, that's for sure.

To those who have taken the time to report offending posts, 'Thank You'. It makes getting rid of the 'rif-raff' a lot easier.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Soldiergirl and other haters keep returning, what can we do?

Postby ciscop » 28 Sep 2009, 10:26

ninjapuppy congratulations on being a moderator
im happy that my suggestion of adding you to the team succeded
:D

i know we collide in many topics
but i believe you are as fair as eteponge is
which is great

have a good one
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
User avatar
ciscop
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: 22 Jul 2009, 12:04

Re: Soldiergirl and other haters keep returning, what can we do?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 28 Sep 2009, 19:04

Thank you ciscop.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Soldiergirl and other haters keep returning, what can we do?

Postby ProfWag » 28 Sep 2009, 21:01

ciscop wrote:ninjapuppy congratulations on being a moderator
im happy that my suggestion of adding you to the team succeded
:D

i know we collide in many topics
but i believe you are as fair as eteponge is
which is great

have a good one

Ditto on that from me also Ninja. There is some valid information presented from both sides of the fence. I know I have been guilty of off-topic remarks, but you're right, many of us are passionate about our beliefs. Frustratingly so. My only request from moderators is that if I do say something I shouldn't have, I get a warning and hopefully, a chance to apologize or correct/clarify myself. I do tend to be a little "sarcastic" sometimes which can be a huge fault if I'm not careful.
Good luck and hope you enjoy it!
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Soldiergirl and other haters keep returning, what can we do?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 28 Sep 2009, 23:26

ProfWag wrote:Ditto on that from me also Ninja. There is some valid information presented from both sides of the fence. I know I have been guilty of off-topic remarks, but you're right, many of us are passionate about our beliefs. Frustratingly so. My only request from moderators is that if I do say something I shouldn't have, I get a warning and hopefully, a chance to apologize or correct/clarify myself. I do tend to be a little "sarcastic" sometimes which can be a huge fault if I'm not careful.
Good luck and hope you enjoy it!


Thank you ProfWag.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest