View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Soldiergirl and other haters keep returning, what can we do?

Discuss General Topics.

Soldiergirl and other haters keep returning, what can we do?

Postby Scepcop » 24 Sep 2009, 13:36

It appears that soldiergirl and the other haters (if they are indeed different people) keep returning and reregistering. Me and the moderator have banned their user names, IP's and email addresses, making it a lot of work to get back here, yet they keep getting back anyway, under different IP's and user names and emails. They must have taken a lot of time to create new email addresses for each return here. I'm amazed at their tenacity.

What can we do about this? They are filling this board with garbage and lies in a smear campaign of character attacks.

Setting the registration to have me approve all new members is not very feasible cause I don't have the time to review every new registrant and even if I did, there's no way I can tell if they are the haters/slanderers in disguise. So in effect, I'd have to stop all new people from registering to stop them.

Any other solutions or ideas?
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: Soldiergirl and other haters keep returning, what can we do?

Postby ciscop » 24 Sep 2009, 14:45

so closing down the registration will do winston :)
althought ill be a shame not to get new people with new stories to tell :(
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby sunset » 24 Sep 2009, 19:54

I have an idea where they are from but dont want to say on here. Cant be bothered with a slanging match with any of them ! :cry:
sunset

Postby Scepcop » 25 Sep 2009, 01:26

sunset wrote:I have an idea where they are from but dont want to say on here. Cant be bothered with a slanging match with any of them ! :cry:

Well if you know where they are from, and you don't want to say in public, can you PM me with this info?

Thanks.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 25 Sep 2009, 01:33

ciscop wrote:so closing down the registration will do winston :)
althought ill be a shame not to get new people with new stories to tell :(

That would majorly hinder the operation of this forum and its purpose! And it would be letting them win too! No way. How many IP's can they have before we ban them all? How can they be creating new IP's? How is that possible?
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby ProfWag » 25 Sep 2009, 01:55

Unfortunately, I don't think there is much that can be done. I believe you have rules around here somewhere that personal attacks, etc. may be cause for suspension and further actions. I'm afraid that's all you can do. Keep an eye out for that sort of thing and take appropriate action. I think that's about all you can do.
ProfWag

Postby ProfessorX » 25 Sep 2009, 02:04

Although I'm new to this forum, I've been on many forums over the past decade and had to deal with trolls of varying sorts. This may sound obvious, but I think the best way to deal with them is to just ignore them and don't respond at all to their taunting. Just quietly delete their posts and act as if they don't exist.

Trolls thrive on attention and on the sadistic pleasure of getting under the skin of the people they are attacking. That pleasure is dependent on seeing their intended target express pain, displeasure, and offense at the attacks. If, however, the troll attacks fail to elicit the desired emotional responses, then, trolling no longer is pleasurable and the troll will eventually stop trolling on his/her own.

The trick to doing this, however, is patience and discipline, and making sure the board members are on the same page. Because initially, when you give the troll the calm, silent treatment, the troll may act out even more egregiously to get some attention. It's only if her actions continue to fail to produce the emotional responses she desires that she will eventually lose interest in trolling.

Note - I distinguish between trollers and spammers - spammers just want to wreak arbitrary havoc, while trollers typically have a personal agenda behind their trolling. The silent treatment method I think works for trollers but not for spammers.
ProfessorX

Postby NinjaPuppy » 25 Sep 2009, 02:20

Thank you ProfX, that was very well put.

You hear that ciscop????? Don't poke the crazy!
NinjaPuppy

Postby Eteponge » 25 Sep 2009, 11:03

Yeah, it has gotten to be very annoying for me and Winston to keep these people out, banning over and over and deleting and locking topics left and right. They don't contribute anything to the forum except a bunch of heavily biased personal attacks and ad-hominems spammed in various posts and topics, which have *absolutely nothing* to do with disproving the Paranormal Topics discussed here. You can't disprove Paranormal Subjects by spamming a bunch of personal attacks at someone.

It's ridiculous.
"I think Eteponge's Blog is a pretty cool guy. eh debates Skeptics and doesnt afraid of anything."
Eteponge

Postby ciscop » 25 Sep 2009, 14:25

NinjaPuppy wrote:Thank you ProfX, that was very well put.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
ooooooouuuhhh... but.. but...
this topic is about the previous employer of scescop and his friends
i dont think it includes my favorite trolls around here

and i think what profx said is right
delete their messages, ban their emails and thats it
the ip is unavoidable, by disconnecting your modem for a minute or less you get a new ip
(i might be wrong, but i think it only changes the last few digits)
i also recommend having a new moderator, i think ninjapuppy could help eteponge and winston to do this.
(my 2nd choice would be highflyer, but only because i would love to see what he will do with that power)
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby Scepcop » 27 Sep 2009, 00:41

ProfessorX,
You are probably right and that is so true. Trollers are like bullies. They want to get a reaction out of you. But if you ignore them, they get bored and don't get the attention and stimulation they're trying to get, so they eventually stop.

But how are they creating so many IP's? Can they create an unlimited number of them?
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 27 Sep 2009, 00:46

ciscop wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:Thank you ProfX, that was very well put.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
ooooooouuuhhh... but.. but...
this topic is about the previous employer of scescop and his friends
i dont think it includes my favorite trolls around here

and i think what profx said is right
delete their messages, ban their emails and thats it
the ip is unavoidable, by disconnecting your modem for a minute or less you get a new ip
(i might be wrong, but i think it only changes the last few digits)
i also recommend having a new moderator, i think ninjapuppy could help eteponge and winston to do this.
(my 2nd choice would be highflyer, but only because i would love to see what he will do with that power)

First, Muth was not really my past employer. He was a travel partner I teamed up with, and had a mutually arranged deal between us, which he broke and jettisoned me when I was no longer of any use to him, which is fine, but he didn't have to go making an enemy out of me, esp since I never did anything wrong to him.

Don't you agree ciscop that people who become your enemy when you did nothing wrong to them, must have mental problems?

But the trolling here has gone into my past and lies about it too, not just about Muth.

Second, disconnecting your computer does not change your IP. That's not how it works. An IP is your physical location. You can change it by changing locations, or by using a proxy.

I don't know much about higherflyertoo, but I was also thinking that Ninjapuppy would be a good moderator too. She seems level headed, objective, and fair, someone with a good sense of judgment so to speak.

So Ninjapuppy, do you want to be a moderator? :)
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 27 Sep 2009, 00:54

BTW, as they say in the military:

"If you're taking a lot of flak, you must be flying over the target" :)
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby ciscop » 27 Sep 2009, 02:30

Scepcop wrote:BTW, as they say in the military:

"If you're taking a lot of flak, you must be flying over the target" :)

you are partially right, and partially wrong
what i said is true about the ip
here is a link http://whatismyipaddress.com/staticpage ... ip-address

How do I change my IP address?
Bookmark and Share
"How do I change my IP address?" and "Can I change my IP address?" are probably the most commonly asked questions. Please attempt the following then, if that does not work, visit the Change IP Address forum.

Before trying any other methods to change your IP address, try turning off (or unplugging the power of) your Cable/DSL modem for five minutes. In many cases this will change your IP address. However, if that does not change your IP address, repeat the process for 8 hours (overnight works well) instead of 5 minutes. Hopefully this will result in an IP change.

If the above does not result in your IP address changing, please look through the below for the situation that best matches yours and attempt to change your IP address that way. Unfortunately you are not able to get your IP address to change in all cases, as it is ultimate determined by your ISP's DHCP configuration (when you've got a dynamically assigned IP address, that is.)

Windows - Computer connected directly to the modem

1. Get to a command prompt. (START, run, cmd).
Start Menu Run Box
2. Type "ipconfig /release" (without the quotes, on the command line by itself).
3. Type "ipconfig /renew" (without the quotes, on the command line by itself).

Windows (second option) - Computer connected directly to the modem

1. Get to a command prompt. (START, run, cmd).
2. Type "ipconfig /release" (without the quotes).
3. Shut down computer.
4. Turn off computer.
5. Turn off all ethernet hubs/switches.
6. Turn off cable/DSL modem.
7. Leave off overnight.
8. Turn everything back on.

Network with Router

1. Log into the router's admin console. (Often http://192.168.1.1/)
2. Release the IP address. (Method varies by router manufacturer)
3. Turn off router, ethernet hubs/switches, and the cable/DSL modem.
4. Leave off overnight.
5. Turn everything back on.

If you are using a cable/DSL modem and a router, you may wish to connect your computer directly to the cable/DSL modem. Please note that this could significantly impact your system security. This allows your ISP's DHCP to issue you a new (hopefully changed) IP address based of the (hardware) MAC address of your computer's ethernet card.

If all the above has not worked to change your IP address and you have a router, check and see if there is a "Clone MAC Address" option. Using it should change your IP address; however, you'll only be able to do it once (in most cases).

These will not work in all cases. If all else fails contact your internet service provider (ISP) and ask them if they are able to change your IP address or how long your connection needs to be off for your IP address to change.

If you trying to change your IP address because you are just trying to access web based forums you may wish to attempt to configure your internet browser to use a proxy server.
FAQ: What is a proxy server?
FAQ: How do I use a proxy server?

If this does not answer your question, please visit the change IP address forum.

We've heard about IP Changer programs, but have not seen any that work in a reliable manner. If you have seen an IP address changer program that works, please let us know.

back to the point..
i recommend a 3rd moderator and just deleting their messages and keep banning them... :-p
ciscop

Postby NinjaPuppy » 27 Sep 2009, 06:39

Scepcop wrote:So Ninjapuppy, do you want to be a moderator? :)

Hmmmmm, that is quite an auspicious offer Scepcop. I am willing to give it a test drive and see how it goes.
NinjaPuppy

Next

Return to General Discussions