View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Can anyone explain the height change at Oregon Vortex?

Discuss General Topics.

Re: Can anyone explain the height change at Oregon Vortex?

Postby cecil1 » 24 Apr 2012, 06:30

Good thread very enjoyable.
My input would be that to my eyes the coin was placed perpendicular to the level on the plank defeating the purpose of balancing a coin.
Balance the coin at the center parallel to the plank, then the edges, see if it rolls then!

I have no explanation! Interesting!
cecil1
 
Posts: 141
Joined: 13 Apr 2012, 02:31

Re: Can anyone explain the height change at Oregon Vortex?

Postby Scepcop » 25 Apr 2012, 08:48

Could this be how the ball rolling up the plank trick is done? If so, does it explain the height change illusion too?

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
User avatar
Scepcop
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: 16 May 2009, 07:29

Re: Can anyone explain the height change at Oregon Vortex?

Postby Scepcop » 25 Apr 2012, 09:38

Check out the photos here taken by a visitor to the Oregon Vortex. They show that the background has nothing to do with the height change.

http://www.robbecher.www4.50megs.com/Oregonvortex.html

Image

Image

Image
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
User avatar
Scepcop
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: 16 May 2009, 07:29

Re: Can anyone explain the height change at Oregon Vortex?

Postby Nostradamus » 26 Apr 2012, 00:58

Actually the problem is related to the background misleading the eye as to the orientation of the setting. The people are not the same distance from the camera. The left side is farther from the camera than the right side.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
User avatar
Nostradamus
 
Posts: 1761
Joined: 08 Aug 2009, 14:08

Re: Can anyone explain the height change at Oregon Vortex?

Postby cecil1 » 26 Apr 2012, 01:59

ok... place 2 sturdy poles with measurments metric or imperial on the ground, and then measure a person on both sides... if the height changes well then...
i'd be stumped.
cecil1
 
Posts: 141
Joined: 13 Apr 2012, 02:31

Re: Can anyone explain the height change at Oregon Vortex?

Postby ProfWag » 26 Apr 2012, 03:55

cecil1 wrote:ok... place 2 sturdy poles with measurments metric or imperial on the ground, and then measure a person on both sides... if the height changes well then...
i'd be stumped.

I had thought the same thing Cecil, but how would you know that the length of the measuring stick didn't change as well?
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3846
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Can anyone explain the height change at Oregon Vortex?

Postby cecil1 » 26 Apr 2012, 21:40

ProfWag wrote:
cecil1 wrote:ok... place 2 sturdy poles with measurments metric or imperial on the ground, and then measure a person on both sides... if the height changes well then...
i'd be stumped.

I had thought the same thing Cecil, but how would you know that the length of the measuring stick didn't change as well?


Now wouldn't that be a brainstumper if that was the case? Now I wanna see that tested.
cecil1
 
Posts: 141
Joined: 13 Apr 2012, 02:31

Re: Can anyone explain the height change at Oregon Vortex?

Postby ProfWag » 26 Apr 2012, 22:03

cecil1 wrote:
ProfWag wrote:
cecil1 wrote:ok... place 2 sturdy poles with measurments metric or imperial on the ground, and then measure a person on both sides... if the height changes well then...
i'd be stumped.

I had thought the same thing Cecil, but how would you know that the length of the measuring stick didn't change as well?


Now wouldn't that be a brainstumper if that was the case? Now I wanna see that tested.

http://www.o4sr.org/investigations/oregon_vortex.html
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3846
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Can anyone explain the height change at Oregon Vortex?

Postby cecil1 » 26 Apr 2012, 23:29

Awesome ty.
cecil1
 
Posts: 141
Joined: 13 Apr 2012, 02:31

Previous

Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests