View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Can anyone explain the height change at Oregon Vortex?

Discuss General Topics.

Re: Mystery Spot: Gravitational anomaly or optical illusion?

Postby SeanRMR » 09 Sep 2009, 13:05

to help you understand a bit I found this link through one of the wiki articles you posted. Where they do a bit of a demonstration with jars.

http://www.randi.org/jr/101003.html
SeanRMR

Postby ciscop » 09 Sep 2009, 23:38

SeanRMR wrote:to help you understand a bit I found this link through one of the wiki articles you posted. Where they do a bit of a demonstration with jars.

awesome article
so easy to understand
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby Scepcop » 10 Sep 2009, 00:09

Nostradamus,
Don't these photos prove that there is a change in height at the Oregon Vortex? Here is a side by side comparison on the Oregon Vortex website of the same people in both photos after changing places on the plank, showing a noticeable height change.

http://www.oregonvortex.com/photographs-northend.htm

ImageImage

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 10 Sep 2009, 00:21

SeanRMR wrote:to help you understand a bit I found this link through one of the wiki articles you posted. Where they do a bit of a demonstration with jars.

Interesting article. But it seems like Randi is proposing that the slope is actually slanted and one side is closer to the front, right? But what about the level showing that the floor is level and my coin being able to balance there? Randi doesn't take that into account or address that.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby ciscop » 10 Sep 2009, 01:27

Scepcop wrote:

Interesting article. But it seems like Randi is proposing that the slope is actually slanted and one side is closer to the front, right? But what about the level showing that the floor is level and my coin being able to balance there? Randi doesn't take that into account or address that.

so... what you are saying
is that it is not an optical illusion (because that would be to easy of an explanation)
that you actually increase your size ... in a theme park

wow..
excellent

you know winston.. if you go on dragoncon next year
dont bring this topic neither...
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby Scepcop » 10 Sep 2009, 02:19

ciscop wrote:so... what you are saying
is that it is not an optical illusion (because that would be to easy of an explanation)
that you actually increase your size ... in a theme park

wow..
excellent

you know winston.. if you go on dragoncon next year
dont bring this topic neither...

I'm not saying that. Don't misquote me. I'm merely saying that it's unexplained and that the explanations given so far do not account for the level tool and the coin balanced on the beam. That has not been addressed. A fact is a fact, that's all I'm saying. I am not claiming that this must be paranormal.
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby soldiergirl » 10 Sep 2009, 08:02

Scecop,

You go to dragoncon? Isn't that where roleplaying people go like WOW players, everquest players and what not? Hmm this might explain a lot. My bad, i thought you were being serious with all your fantasy articles. You roleplaying in a fantasy world this entire time went right over my head.
soldiergirl

Postby Eteponge » 10 Sep 2009, 09:12

soldiergirl wrote:Scecop,

You go to dragoncon? Isn't that where roleplaying people go like WOW players, everquest players and what not? Hmm this might explain a lot. My bad, i thought you were being serious with all your fantasy articles. You roleplaying in a fantasy world this entire time went right over my head.

Actually, DragonCon is the place where high profile Skeptics like James Randi and Michael Shermer have been setting up debates with Paranormal Researchers for years now. That's what he is referring to.

Why do the Skeptics set up debates with Paranormal Proponents at a Sci-Fi Con? Beats the hell out of me.
"I think Eteponge's Blog is a pretty cool guy. eh debates Skeptics and doesnt afraid of anything."
Eteponge

Postby soldiergirl » 10 Sep 2009, 10:37

I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say maybe its because many skeptics view paranormal stuff as sci-fi?
soldiergirl

Postby Scepcop » 10 Sep 2009, 23:01

No, I don't go to such conventions. And FYI, dragoncon isn't just a sci fi convention. It's a convention covering many topics that is hosted in three major hotels. I only found out about it recently, cause big name media skeptics like Randi and Shermer go there to debate people, and I have been considering going there to debate them next year. That's why the topic was brought up. See the other thread in this board about dragoncon for more info. You jump to conclusions way too fast soldiergirl.
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby soldiergirl » 12 Sep 2009, 17:18

Scecop,

Well when you go there next year don't forget to bring your amazing evidence of UFO's by Bob Lazer and please take a video while presenting that evidence of the audience so I can see them ROFL. Also you should bring some of your 9/11 conspiracy theories there that you like to post on 9/11 remembrance day.
soldiergirl

Postby Scepcop » 12 Mar 2012, 05:03

Nostradamus wrote:Nice pictures, but an illusion. I superimposed the first 2 photos over each other. I aligned the photos so that the people could be compared visually. The young man is taller than the woman in both cases. The same is true when I compared the 2 men in the photos. The man in gray top is always shorter.

The illusion appears to be based on the camera position. The camera appears to be above and away from a plane that would bisect the place where the men are standing. Perspective comes into play here.

I'll upload my composite images when I get a chance.

I don't understand your explanation. The camera angles were not changed. I took the pictures standing from the same position. But even if I moved a little, as long as I'm still at the same height, it wouldn't matter. You can also take the photo standing perfectly perpendicular to the plank and still get the same result.

It's not that simple. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a mystery.

quantumparanormal wrote:I did notice, however, that the level is slightly tilted. If you were to put a smooth ball on a very smooth surface at such a small incline, the ball would probably still roll, especially a coin, since the side of a coin has a large weight-to-side ratio when put on its side (the smallest side, thickness), making it very easy to roll.

Even if the plank was microscopically tilted, it wouldn't explain the one inch difference in height when the people are switched around. That's a big difference. It can't be that simple.
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 12 Mar 2012, 05:08

What does this have to do with this thread? So when you skeptics can't explain something, you avoid the topic and use ad hominem attacks? That's more evidence that you folks are not truth seekers or critical thinkers, but debunkers of anything that challenges the orthodoxy or anything mysterious.
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: Can anyone explain the anomalies at Oregon Vortex?

Postby Arouet » 12 Mar 2012, 05:39

Scepcop, you know you're replying to three year old posts, right?

In any event, why don't you try this: Take the photos, and crop out everything except for the plank and the two people, and see if it changes anything.
Arouet

Re: Can anyone explain the anomalies at Oregon Vortex?

Postby Craig Browning » 13 Mar 2012, 04:04

I've visited places like this several times but the neatest one I ever witnessed was near Bluefield, W. Va. (I wish I could be more specific but I was about 14 when this happened) we were driving down a very steep mountain while the river beside us was flowing up hill. From what I understand this oddity was known of for years but the highway department decided to build the route so tourist could experience the effect when passing through the region; it's quite cool.
Craig Browning

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions