View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

This site and skeptics

Discuss General Topics.

Re: This site and skeptics

Postby NinjaPuppy » 14 Jan 2015, 10:19

ProfWag wrote:I've discussed this before Ninja, but I'll delve into it again if it's okay. I like to believe that I have an open mind (contrary to what some think of me on this site.) My feeling though is that I've explored the paranormal--quite thoroughly actually--for over 30 years and have yet to be convinced of most anything paranormal.

Isn't it enough to have something in life that is simply unexplained? Something to wonder or ponder when the mood hits you?

ProfWag wrote:My personality is such that it would absolutely drive me bonkers to wait and wait and wait for solid evidence. I just can't go on forever waiting as it would literally drive me insane. So, my mind is made up, but I find it fun and will always entertain new ideas, but there has to be a conclusion at some point.

Perhaps it's the 'waiting' that makes you bonkers. Get out there and do some ghost hunting. ;)

ProfWag wrote:To me, it's like sitting in a dining room chair and you lean back and back and back on two legs and then right before you fall backwards, your reach out and grab the table. You know that feeling?

Actually, I don't. I was not allowed to do this to the good dining room chairs and we did not have any everyday Spamalamadingdong chairs. I will assume it's probably also more of a guy thing.

ProfWag wrote:That's the way I would feel all the time if I'm always wondering what my horrorscope says. But that's just me. Call me sick if you'd like, but that's why I try to get people to realize that there is probably a scientific explanation for whatever the event was. I would think that people should want to make a decision one way or the other--and since there's no scientific evidence to support the paranormal, then the decision should be easy. Remember, if there were scientific evidence, then it would be called "normal" rather than "paranormal."

Well, for starters, wouldn't you say that NDEs are certainly real?
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44






Re: This site and skeptics

Postby NinjaPuppy » 14 Jan 2015, 10:21

LOL. I love that word exchanger that puts in spamalamadingdong everytime someone tried to spam us with cabinets for that room next to the dining room that you keep the oven and stove.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: This site and skeptics

Postby Boo boo » 14 Jan 2015, 12:51

NinjaPuppy wrote:Well, for starters, wouldn't you say that NDEs are certainly real?


Or SDEs ( shared-death experiences ). Check this out. http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2014/12/us/shared-death/
Last edited by NinjaPuppy on 15 Jan 2015, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote edit
Boo boo
 
Posts: 26
Joined: 04 Oct 2014, 06:21

Re: This site and skeptics

Postby ProfWag » 15 Jan 2015, 18:54

NinjaPuppy wrote:Isn't it enough to have something in life that is simply unexplained? Something to wonder or ponder when the mood hits you?

Psychologically it makes me uncomfortable. Maybe it's the curiosity in my, I don't know. It's like being a kid--when I got a new toy and didn't know how it worked, I'd have to find out. I guess it's a similar thing maybe?
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: This site and skeptics

Postby ProfWag » 15 Jan 2015, 18:56

NinjaPuppy wrote:Perhaps it's the 'waiting' that makes you bonkers. Get out there and do some ghost hunting. ;)


Been there, done that, got the orb on my camera (or the shiny speckle of dust... :roll: )
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: This site and skeptics

Postby ProfWag » 15 Jan 2015, 19:00

NinjaPuppy wrote:Well, for starters, wouldn't you say that NDEs are certainly real?

Depends on what you mean by "real." There's a high degree of probability there is an "earthly" explanation per the academics:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/peace-of-mind-near-death/
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: This site and skeptics

Postby NinjaPuppy » 15 Jan 2015, 23:03

ProfWag wrote:Psychologically it makes me uncomfortable. Maybe it's the curiosity in my, I don't know. It's like being a kid--when I got a new toy and didn't know how it worked, I'd have to find out. I guess it's a similar thing maybe?

Now this I can relate. I used to have this driving force to grab a screw driver and dismantle electronic toys as soon as I got them. I never considered this one of my better traits. :shock:
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: This site and skeptics

Postby NinjaPuppy » 15 Jan 2015, 23:13

ProfWag wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:Well, for starters, wouldn't you say that NDEs are certainly real?

Depends on what you mean by "real." There's a high degree of probability there is an "earthly" explanation per the academics:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/peace-of-mind-near-death/

I have only started to read this article and I instantly find 2 things to nitpick.

Recently, a host of studies has revealed potential underpinnings for all the elements of such experiences. "Many of the phenomena associated with near-death experiences can be biologically explained," says neuroscientist Dean Mobbs, at the University of Cambridge's Medical Research Council Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit. Mobbs and Caroline Watt at the University of Edinburgh detailed this research online August 17 in Trends in Cognitive Sciences.

The two words in red, give me reason to wonder about what these studies have revealed.

Now here's a real doozie-
Although the mechanism behind the syndrome remains unknown, one possible explanation is that patients are trying to make sense of the strange experiences they are having.

WTF?
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: This site and skeptics

Postby NinjaPuppy » 19 Jan 2015, 06:20

<crickets chirping>
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: This site and skeptics

Postby Boo boo » 19 Jan 2015, 08:45

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Boo boo
 
Posts: 26
Joined: 04 Oct 2014, 06:21

Re: This site and skeptics

Postby ProfWag » 20 Jan 2015, 18:28

As I mentioned, there is a high degree of probability that there is a more "earthly" explanation, I never said it was definitely proven one way or the other. Even the study I referenced doesn't say that all NDEs are explained, only that there is strong evidence that there actually IS another explanation other than people die and go to the "other side."
I'm sure you've all heard by now about the 6 year old who was the subject of a book about going to heaven has now redacted his story and said it was all made up. Oops. :roll:
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/01/16/arts/ap-us-heaven-book-pulled.html?_r=0
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: This site and skeptics

Postby NinjaPuppy » 21 Jan 2015, 08:29

ProfWag wrote:As I mentioned, there is a high degree of probability that there is a more "earthly" explanation, I never said it was definitely proven one way or the other. Even the study I referenced doesn't say that all NDEs are explained, only that there is strong evidence that there actually IS another explanation other than people die and go to the "other side."
I'm sure you've all heard by now about the 6 year old who was the subject of a book about going to heaven has now redacted his story and said it was all made up. Oops. :roll:
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/01/16/arts/ap-us-heaven-book-pulled.html?_r=0

Not to change the subject to some 6 year old that I have never heard of...... let's go back to your previous statement and my confusion about said statement:
ProfWag wrote:My personality is such that it would absolutely drive me bonkers to wait and wait and wait for solid evidence. I just can't go on forever waiting as it would literally drive me insane. So, my mind is made up, but I find it fun and will always entertain new ideas, but there has to be a conclusion at some point.

And.... when I started to read the link you posted, I noted the words "potential" and "many" which are also not words to conjure up thoughts of "solid evidence", I guess I'd like to know why that doesn't make you equally bonkers. :?
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: This site and skeptics

Postby ProfWag » 22 Jan 2015, 02:47

NinjaPuppy wrote:And.... when I started to read the link you posted, I noted the words "potential" and "many" which are also not words to conjure up thoughts of "solid evidence", I guess I'd like to know why that doesn't make you equally bonkers. :?

Because in the world of science, virtually everything is a "theory" rather than a "law." Academics rarely use terms such as "impossible," "never," or "always." They aren't able to study every single case as there are just too many of them. They would have a hard time getting a peer reviewed article through scrutiny if they were to come out and say "every single case of NDE can be explained in this matter" because they don't have opportunities to study every single case.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: This site and skeptics

Postby NinjaPuppy » 22 Jan 2015, 08:47

ProfWag wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:And.... when I started to read the link you posted, I noted the words "potential" and "many" which are also not words to conjure up thoughts of "solid evidence", I guess I'd like to know why that doesn't make you equally bonkers. :?

Because in the world of science, virtually everything is a "theory" rather than a "law." Academics rarely use terms such as "impossible," "never," or "always." They aren't able to study every single case as there are just too many of them. They would have a hard time getting a peer reviewed article through scrutiny if they were to come out and say "every single case of NDE can be explained in this matter" because they don't have opportunities to study every single case.

So then you are saying that scientific stuff doesn't have the same effect on your bonker meter that paranormal stuff does?
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: This site and skeptics

Postby ProfWag » 24 Jan 2015, 21:11

NinjaPuppy wrote:So then you are saying that scientific stuff doesn't have the same effect on your bonker meter that paranormal stuff does?

That's a good way to say it. My personal life experiences makes me tend to trust a group of academics more so than Miss Cleo or the late Sylvia...
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron