View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Are wheat and whole grains destroying America's health?

Discuss General Topics.

Are wheat and whole grains destroying America's health?

Postby Scepcop » 09 Jan 2014, 21:54

A friend of mine told me that the real culprit of fat in America is wheat. He said that when he eliminated wheat from his diet, his belly shrank by 60 percent. Last time I saw him, his belly looked very flat. He recommended I read a book called "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis.

http://www.amazon.com/Wheat-Belly-Lose- ... 609611543/

Is that true? What do you think? Have you heard of this before? Why isn't this being discussed on the major media?

Well actually, CBS did a report on it. See below.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/modern-whea ... ctor-says/

Modern wheat a "perfect, chronic poison," doctor says

(CBS News) Modern wheat is a "perfect, chronic poison," according to Dr. William Davis, a cardiologist who has published a book all about the world's most popular grain.

Davis said that the wheat we eat these days isn't the wheat your grandma had: "It's an 18-inch tall plant created by genetic research in the '60s and '70s," he said on "CBS This Morning." "This thing has many new features nobody told you about, such as there's a new protein in this thing called gliadin. It's not gluten. I'm not addressing people with gluten sensitivities and celiac disease. I'm talking about everybody else because everybody else is susceptible to the gliadin protein that is an opiate. This thing binds into the opiate receptors in your brain and in most people stimulates appetite, such that we consume 440 more calories per day, 365 days per year."

Asked if the farming industry could change back to the grain it formerly produced, Davis said it could, but it would not be economically feasible because it yields less per acre. However, Davis said a movement has begun with people turning away from wheat - and dropping substantial weight.

"If three people lost eight pounds, big deal," he said. "But we're seeing hundreds of thousands of people losing 30, 80, 150 pounds. Diabetics become no longer diabetic; people with arthritis having dramatic relief. People losing leg swelling, acid reflux, irritable bowel syndrome, depression, and on and on every day."

To avoid these wheat-oriented products, Davis suggests eating "real food," such as avocados, olives, olive oil, meats, and vegetables. "(It's) the stuff that is least likely to have been changed by agribusiness," he said. "Certainly not grains. When I say grains, of course, over 90 percent of all grains we eat will be wheat, it's not barley... or flax. It's going to be wheat.

"It's really a wheat issue."

Some health resources, such as the Mayo Clinic, advocate a more balanced diet that does include wheat. But Davis said on "CTM" they're just offering a poor alternative.

"All that literature says is to replace something bad, white enriched products with something less bad, whole grains, and there's an apparent health benefit - 'Let's eat a whole bunch of less bad things.' So I take...unfiltered cigarettes and replace with Salem filtered cigarettes, you should smoke the Salems. That's the logic of nutrition, it's a deeply flawed logic. What if I take it to the next level, and we say, 'Let's eliminate all grains,' what happens then?

"That's when you see, not improvements in health, that's when you see transformations in health."

Check out these short interviews with Dr. William Davis, author of "Wheat Belly". They explain a lot in a few minutes. Wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F9_UfERo-Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23kkp7rVDUc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfY0qnH-m8I

Also check out Dr. Davis' public lectures with slides. They are a must see, and very informative, convincing and easy to understand.

Wheat: The Unhealthy Whole Grain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbBURnqYVzw

Wheatlessness: A 21st Century Health Strategy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeyKvCkxp2o

Dr. Davis' blog, which contains free recipes for wheat-free meals.
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: Are wheat and whole grains destroying America's health?

Postby SydneyPSIder » 11 Jan 2014, 09:09

all very interesting, but you have to wonder about a placebo effect, or that in fact it's just another repackaged low carb diet. it's not wheat per se that's to blame, but simply the calories in them. the placebo effect can be due just to ppl following the diet and watching what they eat much more closely. sure you don't want to be scoffing down tons of cakes, breads and pastries every day, but you can easily avoid high carb foods in general. the premise that dwarf wheat is causing all the problems is also highly suspect and not really backed up by any evidence.

the negative 1 star reviews on amazon give you an idea of how flawed dr davis' reasoning is, he often completely reverses the findings of studies, e.g. in one 81% of ppl on gluten free diets had gained weight over a period of time.

what really scares me is the amount of clever, glib verbalising that has been conducted on demonising wheat, the number of people praising the diet to the heavens, etc, all based on what seems to be very poor science by someone claiming to be an MD. just like the last 10 fad diets. what ppl seem to really want, apart from a new diet religion to worship, is the opportunity to stop moralising about their weight and blame a single, simple external item for all their woes. it's not their appetite, gluttony, greed, lack of self control contributing to their weight, it's that wheat!

Further claims some 'reviewers' make about massively reducing their weight, triglycerides and blood pressure actually seem outright fraudulent and too good to be true. All in the interests of selling a book for 10 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Wheat-Belly-Lose- ... Descending
SydneyPSIder

Postby NinjaPuppy » 12 Jan 2014, 03:48

Well put Syd!
NinjaPuppy

Postby Scepcop » 14 Jan 2014, 23:22

SydneyPSIder wrote:all very interesting, but you have to wonder about a placebo effect, or that in fact it's just another repackaged low carb diet. it's not wheat per se that's to blame, but simply the calories in them. the placebo effect can be due just to ppl following the diet and watching what they eat much more closely. sure you don't want to be scoffing down tons of cakes, breads and pastries every day, but you can easily avoid high carb foods in general. the premise that dwarf wheat is causing all the problems is also highly suspect and not really backed up by any evidence.

the negative 1 star reviews on amazon give you an idea of how flawed dr davis' reasoning is, he often completely reverses the findings of studies, e.g. in one 81% of ppl on gluten free diets had gained weight over a period of time.

what really scares me is the amount of clever, glib verbalising that has been conducted on demonising wheat, the number of people praising the diet to the heavens, etc, all based on what seems to be very poor science by someone claiming to be an MD. just like the last 10 fad diets. what ppl seem to really want, apart from a new diet religion to worship, is the opportunity to stop moralising about their weight and blame a single, simple external item for all their woes. it's not their appetite, gluttony, greed, lack of self control contributing to their weight, it's that wheat!

Further claims some 'reviewers' make about massively reducing their weight, triglycerides and blood pressure actually seem outright fraudulent and too good to be true. All in the interests of selling a book for 10 bucks.

You obviously did not listen to Dr. Davis' lectures. He explained in detail why gluten-free diets are not wheat free nor healthy. His books have thousands of 5 star reviews. I don't see any negative one star reviews. How do you explain that? If he's wrong, then why do thousands of reviewers say that it works? I have some friends who lost a lot of weight by removing wheat from their diet too. How do you explain that?

Please watch these two lectures by Dr. Davis. They are simple, logical, and factual. They are highly compelling and persuasive. I don't see how a reasonable person can see them and not agree with him wholeheartedly. Everything he says seems backed up by science and evidence. I see no flaw in his presentation. Do you?

Wheat: The Unhealthy Whole Grain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbBURnqYVzw

Wheatlessness: A 21st Century Health Strategy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeyKvCkxp2o
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby SydneyPSIder » 15 Jan 2014, 18:11

I linked to the 1 star reviews!!!!!!!

'filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=byRankDescending'

The author attributes just about all of the world's ills to wheat, from ADHD to schizophrenia, autism, pimples, arthritis, cancer, hair loss, osteoporosis - you name it, wheat is to blame. While we could probably all stand to eat fewer wheat products, I don't think it is as simple as the first several hundred pages of the book make it seem. It is only at the tale end of the book that he adds that just getting rid of wheat isn't the solution - you must get rid of all carbs and eat handfuls of nuts and blocks of cheese instead. He's obviously an advocate of Atkins, which does help people lose weight, but...it, too, has health risks.

I purchased the book hoping I could use the information in it to help me lose the 30 lbs. I needed to. The premise of the book seems to be that if you eliminate wheat from your diet, all kinds of miraculous things happen. You lose tons of weight, your blood pressure and blood sugar counts improve, no more arthritis pain, no more back pain, you have more energy, etc, etc. Well, not too far into the book Dr. Davis begins to hedge his bets. It seems he backs away from the "wheat is the culprit" mantra and begins in slow steady steps to tell us that it may also be corn, potatoes, rice, oats, barley, and any other starch he can think of. Ok so now we've moved on to the Paleo diet it seems. Then, if that's not enough, Dr. Davis tells us that fruit is terrible for us. Huh, fruit ? ( Hedging his bets again.) Yes Dr. Davis says, fruit has sugar in it, and that's bad. Well, go on Dr Davis. You've stopped us from eating any starches, any natural sugars. I tried his diet for 5 weeks and lost an amazing 5 lbs. Yes, 5 lbs. I have to assume that it wasn't from eliminating "wheat" from my diet but from eliminating everything that can add calories. I went to his blog on his "Wheat Belly" website and found that I wasn't the only one who didn't see the miraculous results from cutting "wheat" from my diet. Quite a few people had the same paltry results. Dr. Davis directs those people to another part of his website to explain to you what you're doing wrong. He tells you you may be on some kind of medication that restricts weight loss. Or, you are eating fruit and other natural sugars. Or, and this is great, you are eating. Yes, Dr. Davis tells you to fast. If you want to lose weight you may have to fast. You know, don't eat. That's the biggest hedging of bets yet. Sorry Dr. Davis, you're a sham, a joke, a charlatan. There is nothing new in your book that we haven't known for decades. Good luck with your book and the millions its made you.
SydneyPSIder

Postby Scepcop » 07 Mar 2014, 08:38

Ok I agree that blaming everything on wheat is an overstretch. But 99 percent of Dr. Davis' reviews on Amazon are five star reviews. That means his theory works. How do you explain that?

Also, people in Europe eat wheat too, yet when I was there, everyone was thin. How to explain that? Is it because of the GMO's in America's wheat and carbs?
Scepcop
Site Admin

Return to General Discussions