View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Winston whips the Australian Skeptics in debate!

Discuss General Topics.

Re: Winston whips the Australian Skeptics in debate!

Postby SydneyPSIder » 12 Dec 2013, 07:42

justintime wrote:
SydneyPSIder wrote:How can you have 'nostalgia' for an event that occurred 230 years ago? You can only have nostalgia for something that occurred within your living memory.

Most American settlers/colonists actually weren't particularly interested in seceding from Britain at the time, and thought of themselves as British. People like George Washington and others had to whip some into a frenzy. The only question is whether they were doing it out of greed and opportunism seeing a rich continent in front of them.

Australia is a 'new' country without much history or interesting old world architecture, so people like to travel.

Sure you can have nostalgia for past events. Unlike Americans( especially the Tea Party), Australians want to forget their past or are in denial of it.

Race, Nostalgia and Memory in the Tea Party Imagination

Alex Zamalin
02/2011;

ABSTRACT As the latest incarnation of neoconservative populism, The Tea Party, is distinct not for its celebration of religiosity and individualism but for its nostalgic view of the past. To be sure, conservatism has always valorized tradition, but the Tea Party fuses a religious, laissez faire philosophy of government with a rhetoric that explicitly recalls popular resistance to arbitrary authority. Revolutionary garb, talk of Constitutional fidelity, and a nod to the Boston Tea Party embody the movement's concern with awakening American citizens to their original commitments. To recount this past nostalgically, of course, the Tea Party project carefully ignores social inequality, as well as the racial hierarchies through which it has long been operationalized. I examine the nexus between race and conservative populism in the Tea Party and show that foregrounding the political function of nostalgia in the Tea Party imaginary illuminates how memory fuels the discourse of their contemporary "post-racial" politics. Drawing on an analysis of Glenn Beck's "Restoring Honor" Rally, held on the anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech, as well as a range of post-structuralist and postcolonial thinkers, I ask: how does this nostalgic longing manage to obscure key issues of white supremacy and originary racial violence and which theoretical framework best explains this process?

http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... magination

I find that a bit tenuous under the dictionary definition. It's nostalgia for an imagined past that they have no experience or real understanding of. They wouldn't have understood the politics of the day if they lived back then just as they don't understand them now, because they're essentially idiots. The tea partiers are a shocking bunch of closet racists also, although that certainly has some linkages to the American past.

Might be better to use a 'romanticised notion of the past' rather than use the word nostalgic in that context. They are certainly pining for something, nobody's quite sure what it is.
SydneyPSIder

Postby NinjaPuppy » 14 Dec 2013, 23:26

justintime wrote:If you find that a bit tenuous you should be more so over this. I said earlier Australia and EU both have low birth rates from eating pre-shagged meat.

You're forgetting low sexual drive in women due to reading crapf like this.
NinjaPuppy

Postby SydneyPSIder » 15 Dec 2013, 17:10

Justin's definitely not getting a date off this site....
SydneyPSIder

Postby NinjaPuppy » 16 Dec 2013, 03:47

SydneyPSIder wrote:Justin's definitely not getting a date off this site....

I would hope not. I've seen the gene pool here. ;)
NinjaPuppy

Postby SydneyPSIder » 16 Dec 2013, 12:05

justintime wrote:

After my suspension from the Australian Skeptic Forum my stock with the Aussies has gone down. They did not take kindly to my poking fun at their national pastime. We have a different situation in America. There isn't enough sheep lovers in the US to keep the sheep industry afloat.

The U.S. Sheep Industry is Belly-Up
http://www.border-wars.com/2013/05/the- ... ly-up.html

who's got the convict problem anyhow? Every time someone in the US loses their rag, they buy an arsenal from their local department store and take it out on everyone around them...

Two hurt, suspect dead at US school

Then there's the US incarceration rate:

The incarceration rate in the United States of America is the highest in the world today. As of 2009, the incarceration rate was 743 per 100,000 of national population (0.743%).[2] In comparison, Russia had the second highest, at 577 per 100,000, Canada was 123rd in the world at 117 per 100,000, and China had 120 per 100,000.[2]

While Americans represent about 5 percent of the world's population, nearly one-quarter of the entire world's inmates have been incarcerated in the United States in recent years.[3] Imprisonment of America's 2.3 million prisoners, costing $24,000 per inmate per year, and $5.1 billion in new prison construction, consumes $60.3 billion in budget expenditures.

Effects
Within three years of being released, 67% of ex-prisoners re-offend and 52% are re-incarcerated, according to a study published in 1994.[78] The rate of recidivism is so high in the United States that most inmates who enter the system are likely to re-enter within a year of their release. Former inmate Wenona Thompson argues "I realized that I became part of a cycle, a system, that looked forward to seeing me there. And I was aware that...I would be one of those people who fill up their prisons".[79]

here's a few of our jeeps, btw. we'll **** you up! while maintaining comms, clearly. not a sheep in sight this time.

The new replacement jeeps on order will be the Mercedes-Benz 6x6 'G-Wagon':

An 8x8 vehicle might be interesting, it could then get you out of trouble with 2 pairs of redundant tyres and axles at each end....

And these are the Australian designed and made 'Bushmaster' APCs on deployment, with the V-shaped undercarriage that deflects IED blasts, unlike AMG Humvees -- courtesy of Rupert Murdoch's Limited News:

Last edited by SydneyPSIder on 16 Dec 2013, 14:09, edited 2 times in total.
SydneyPSIder

Postby SydneyPSIder » 16 Dec 2013, 12:20

justintime wrote:

After my suspension from the Australian Skeptic Forum my stock with the Aussies has gone down. They did not take kindly to my poking fun at their national pastime. We have a different situation in America. There isn't enough sheep lovers in the US to keep the sheep industry afloat.

The U.S. Sheep Industry is Belly-Up

what little we consume of both is easily provided by better quality and cheaper imports from Australia and New Zealand.

Interesting. Lamb on the table is quite popular here with everyone, pretty much. Mutton doesn't really sell. I suppose less desirable bits go to the pet food industry. Then there are things like super-fine merino wool that sell for a high price to Japan and elsewhere. With the US being so cold, you would think wool would still sell well, as it's a great insulator, but maybe it's been replaced with polar fleece and windproof jackets these days. When the oil runs out it won't be so easy to make those synthetics.
SydneyPSIder

Postby SydneyPSIder » 17 Dec 2013, 08:06

whatever it takes. anyhow, they're all coming back in time for Xmas apparently.

Australian troops home by Christmas

"Military families will have a special present this Christmas as Australian troops arrive home from Afghanistan two weeks early.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott described the exit of the last troops from Oruzgan Province this weekend as 'bittersweet', acknowledging the deployment of 26,000 personnel over the years had come at a cost."

I note Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono suddenly wants to be friends again:

Yudhoyono determined to repair Aust ties

"The president has told The Australian while the dispute over the story had hurt him personally, he is determined to repair the relationship as part of his legacy for Indonesia at the completion of his second and final term in 2014."

Apart from the possibility of biased reporting from the Murdoch press, I suspect the Aust govt has put their foot down on the usual Indonesian gamesmanship and malarkey and told them to suck it up, or things will only escalate.
SydneyPSIder

Postby NinjaPuppy » 28 Dec 2013, 04:06

Hey Justin.... NOT NICE.
NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 28 Dec 2013, 11:07

Sorry, I can't speak for the paleontologist. I can let you in on a little secret..... this week I'm a cranky old lady.
NinjaPuppy

Postby SydneyPSIder » 28 Dec 2013, 12:06

I couldn't work out which bits were compliments or insults tbh. US has a rather inglorious recent history of interfering in overseas countries! The one thing I regret is that Australia is so frequently tapped on the shoulder to go along to lend legitimacy to said interferences, is expected to vote as part of an Anglosphere bloc in the UN, etc.

Justin is still very bitter and butthurt about being banned from various fora? Can't agree with his paleontological observations either.

PS I got a nice hardcover bound volume of 'Ascent of Man' for Xmas.
SydneyPSIder

Postby NinjaPuppy » 28 Dec 2013, 20:59

SydneyPSIder wrote:PS I got a nice hardcover bound volume of 'Ascent of Man' for Xmas.

Nice!
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 29 Dec 2013, 05:37

Australia is one of those countries that I have never been to, though really hope to get there someday. What little I know, they have great beer and that's all I really need to know to like the place.
ProfWag

Postby SydneyPSIder » 29 Dec 2013, 20:45

I'm doing craft beers and especially ales these days. Increasing number appearing too...
SydneyPSIder

Postby SydneyPSIder » 06 Feb 2014, 12:37

justintime wrote:It was ironic to see Australians joining the coalition of the willing US, Britain etc. to improve the situation in Iraq and Afghanistan. It must have been very refreshing for them to be in places that did not remind them of their ancestral past

Mostly desert with scrappy mulga and poor soils? hmmm, completely different to Australia.

or seeing sheep running free without inflamed backsides.

That would be from flystrike?

How is the situation in Iraq improved when there is now a civil war between Shia and Sunni deliberately inflamed by the US? And destruction of power infrastructure etc and a very high birth defect rate in Fallujah from depleted uranium. It sounds almost like a.... Biblical... revenge on your local tribal enemies, doesn't it? You know, all the people you didn't like 2,000-4,000 years ago like Egyptians, Samaritans, Philistines, Hittites, Babylonians, Persians, Canaanites, Phoenicians, in fact absolutely everyone around you that wasn't you.

Ditto for Afghanistan -- after 'dealing with' those nasty non-compliant Taliban, the US is now 'dealing with' the Taliban and various other warlords to form the new government. Women's rights are no further advanced, and the opium poppy heroin crops for international trade are at record levels.
SydneyPSIder

Postby SydneyPSIder » 27 Feb 2014, 13:11

Have you had your ass handed to you again on another forum, Justin?

Defamation is much the same here as anywhere. In actual fact a racial vilification law was passed perhaps 25 years ago, which if it applied in the US might stop a lot of KKKers in their tracks, as well as the vile, hateful and politically irrelevant remarks continually passed about Barack Obama by tea partiers and Republicans generally -- the downside of so-called 'freedom of speech' without limits.
SydneyPSIder

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions