View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

The BS Police

Discuss General Topics.

The BS Police

Postby really? » 17 Aug 2013, 07:02

This is an article talking about the skeptical movement.

In a flat expanse of southwest Las Vegas, six miles from the gaudiness and glitz of the Strip, sits the massive South Point Hotel, Casino & Spa. Enter its cavernous “gaming floor” and one is immediately pulled into a world of middle-aged waitresses in skimpy costumes, geriatric gamblers, and men in tanktops—arms invariably graffitied with tattoos—scanning The Racing Form.

But during a four-day stretch in mid-July, these stereotypical Vegas denizens shared the hotel with a very different, very un-Vegas crowd. On the far end of the casino and up an escalator, in a windowless conference center, there was an annual convention taking place called The Amazing Meeting—a gathering known to attendees simply as TAM.
TAM is organized by the James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF), a group devoted to a philosophy called skepticism: the debunking of psychics, mediums, pseudoscientists, faith-healers, homeopaths, and anyone else who makes claims that defy the known laws of science. Skepticism has a wide following—the Internet is littered with self-proclaimed skeptic blogs, podcasts, and forums—and JREF is widely acknowledged to be the movement’s hub. Over 1,000 people attended this year’s conference, which featured an array of panelists and speakers, from magician Penn Jillette to comedian Father Guido Sarducci to Steven Novella, a professor at the Yale School of Medicine. (And yes, it was ironic that this militantly rational group decided to hold its annual meeting in a casino.)
More: http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2 ... olice.html
Last edited by really? on 18 Aug 2013, 07:17, edited 1 time in total.
really?
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 20:58






Re: The BS Police

Postby NinjaPuppy » 18 Aug 2013, 04:55

Good article. Too bad skeptics don't 'investigate' products that do what they claim but kill you in the process along with products that don't do what they claim.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: The BS Police

Postby really? » 18 Aug 2013, 07:18

NinjaPuppy wrote:Good article. Too bad skeptics don't 'investigate' products that do what they claim but kill you in the process along with products that don't do what they claim.


What did you have in mind?
really?
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 20:58

Re: The BS Police

Postby NinjaPuppy » 18 Aug 2013, 20:14

really? wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:Good article. Too bad skeptics don't 'investigate' products that do what they claim but kill you in the process along with products that don't do what they claim.


What did you have in mind?

Would you like to start off with non-stick (teflon) pans? While there is no proof that it can kill humans, overheated teflon cookware can and does kill birds and can produce 'flu-like' symptoms in humans. I don't know of any household that doesn't have at least one teflon pan that is used on a regular basis.
Health dangers: When you breathe Spamalamadingdong air polluted with fumes from overheated Teflon, you're at risk for developing flu-like symptoms (yes, "Teflon flu"). The long-term effects of routine exposure to Teflon fumes, and from Teflon flu itself, have not been adequately studied. http://www.ewg.org/research/healthy-hom ... ers-teflon

Instead of spending time and money investigating or debunking things that skeptics claim don't even exist, why not investigate things that do actually exist to see if any proof to these claims are valid?

I doubt that I will ever be attacked by Bigfoot but I'd be willing to wager a few dollars on my suspicions about teflon making me ill if I get distracted in the Spamalamadingdong.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: The BS Police

Postby NinjaPuppy » 18 Aug 2013, 20:26

How about the long term effects of High Fructose Corn Syrup? Or better yet..... Sugarless Gummy Bears! Yes, Lycasin, a fancy name for maltitol.....that's a perfect example!

Please take a moment to read the reviews by scrolling down to the lower portion of the page: http://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Gummy-Cand ... B000EVQWKC
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: The BS Police

Postby really? » 18 Aug 2013, 21:36

NinjaPuppy wrote:How about the long term effects of High Fructose Corn Syrup? Or better yet..... Sugarless Gummy Bears! Yes, Lycasin, a fancy name for maltitol.....that's a perfect example!

Please take a moment to read the reviews by scrolling down to the lower portion of the page: http://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Gummy-Cand ... B000EVQWKC



I believe the reason why skeptics like myself would not target such things etc. as you mention have very simple reasons. It costs lots of money and time to run such testing. It takes specific expertise training to run those types of testings. And there are learned persons already doing such testing. That's why you now know those things you cited may not be good for you. For why skeptics target the things we do is precisely because it does not require the kind of time consuming expensive testing etc.. Those are the reasons I think.
Last edited by really? on 19 Aug 2013, 07:32, edited 1 time in total.
really?
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 20:58

Re: The BS Police

Postby NinjaPuppy » 19 Aug 2013, 01:12

really? wrote:I believe the reason why skeptics like myself would not target such thing like to mention have very simple reasons. It costs lots of money and time to run such testing. It takes specific expertise training to run those types of testings. And there are learned persons already doing such testing. That's why you now know those things you cited may not be good for you. For why skeptics target the things we do is precisely because it does not require the kind of time consuming expensive testing etc.. Those are the reasons I think.

According to my information, the Gummy Bear ingredients can be easily tested at the next TAM. Plus, they are on sale! :lol:

As to the time consuming issue, it is not time consuming to review all of the Bigfoot or UFO information that filters around? I mean there's already a million dollars on the table if anyone can prove something paranormal. It's got to take a bit of money to maintain and operate JREF and the other various credible skeptic organizations out there. Why not unite and do something spectacular rather than debunk some bent up spoons?
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: The BS Police

Postby really? » 19 Aug 2013, 07:49

really? wrote:I believe the reason why skeptics like myself would not target such thing like to mention have very simple reasons. It costs lots of money and time to run such testing. It takes specific expertise training to run those types of testings. And there are learned persons already doing such testing. That's why you now know those things you cited may not be good for you. For why skeptics target the things we do is precisely because it does not require the kind of time consuming expensive testing etc.. Those are the reasons I think.

NinjaPuppy wrote:According to my information, the Gummy Bear ingredients can be easily tested at the next TAM. Plus, they are on sale! :lol:

As to the time consuming issue, it is not time consuming to review all of the Bigfoot or UFO information that filters around? I mean there's already a million dollars on the table if anyone can prove something paranormal. It's got to take a bit of money to maintain and operate JREF and the other various credible skeptic organizations out there. Why not unite and do something spectacular rather than debunk some bent up spoons?

The JREF isn't about testing, it's about teaching analytical thinking. Gummy bears aren't important to your point which is, why don't skeptics go after things other than spoon benders etc. Because it still costs money and time and equipment, proper location to test the safety of any product. I don't speak for the skeptical community and I can only give you my opinion, so instead of continuing this my suggestion for you is to join the JREF forum and ask there.
really?
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 20:58

Re: The BS Police

Postby NinjaPuppy » 20 Aug 2013, 05:36

really? wrote:I don't speak for the skeptical community and I can only give you my opinion...

However, your personal opinion is both well put and of value. I thank you for that.
really? wrote:...so instead of continuing this my suggestion for you is to join the JREF forum and ask there.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :shock:
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: The BS Police

Postby really? » 20 Aug 2013, 20:07

NinjaPuppy wrote:
really? wrote:I don't speak for the skeptical community and I can only give you my opinion...

However, your personal opinion is both well put and of value. I thank you for that.
really? wrote:...so instead of continuing this my suggestion for you is to join the JREF forum and ask there.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :shock:


Thank you.

Join, it's not painful and nobody will know you've gone to the darkside. ;)
really?
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 20:58

Re: The BS Police

Postby NinjaPuppy » 20 Aug 2013, 20:30

really? wrote:Join, it's not painful and nobody will know you've gone to the darkside. ;)

It is painful. The general vibe over there is not exactly warm and fuzzy to anyone with alternate attitudes about all things paranormal. At times it is a pack mentality that goes way beyond my delicate sensibilities. ;)

It's not my thing.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: The BS Police

Postby Arouet » 20 Aug 2013, 22:52

I think you'd find it quite comfortable over on Skeptiko (but I've told you this before!)
User avatar
Arouet
 
Posts: 2544
Joined: 07 Aug 2010, 03:07

Re: The BS Police

Postby NinjaPuppy » 21 Aug 2013, 02:05

Arouet wrote:I think you'd find it quite comfortable over on Skeptiko (but I've told you this before!)

I agree. I have lurked. ;) I like it better than JREF as I find them hard on believers, Skeptiko is softer, but I still don't relish spending my days defending my beliefs or opinions. This place is juuuuust right for people like me. </Goldilocks reference>
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: The BS Police

Postby really? » 21 Aug 2013, 02:13

NinjaPuppy wrote:
really? wrote:Join, it's not painful and nobody will know you've gone to the darkside. ;)

It is painful. The general vibe over there is not exactly warm and fuzzy to anyone with alternate attitudes about all things paranormal. At times it is a pack mentality that goes way beyond my delicate sensibilities. ;)

It's not my thing.


Oh I'm not asking you to join so you can ask all sorts of questions. I only wanted you to ask the one question you've asked me.
I'll try and explain [maybe] why it's not warm and fuzzy there later when I have more time.
really?
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 20:58

Re: The BS Police

Postby NinjaPuppy » 21 Aug 2013, 02:19

really? wrote:Oh I'm not asking you to join so you can ask all sorts of questions. I only wanted you to ask the one question you've asked me.
I'll try and explain [maybe] why it's not warm and fuzzy there later when I have more time.

I know.

However, even lurking over there is upsetting. It's like watching a train wreck. You know it's not gonna end well but you can't stop looking. :lol:
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44


Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron