[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Should I switch my webhost to Bluehost from Godaddy? : General Discussions • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Should I switch my webhost to Bluehost from Godaddy?

Discuss General Topics.

Should I switch my webhost to Bluehost from Godaddy?

Postby Scepcop » 15 Aug 2013, 15:39

Decision time!

Should I move my sites from Godaddy to Bluehost? I just talked to Bluehost by Live Chat. They said they could move all my sites over to their hosting servers for a flat fee of $99. Meaning, they would do all the migration work for me.

Another issue:

Should I get us on a VPS (Virtual Private Server) or upgrade to a better shared hosting plan? A VPS puts you on a server with a few other accounts, but each account gets its own memory and RAM so it does not hog each other's memory. It's like a smaller version of a dedicated server and it costs about $29 for the economy plan.

VPS hosting under both Bluehost and Godaddy start at $29 for the economy package.

Nowadays, cloud hosting is expanding resources on shared hosting to improve it. So I could upgrade to cloud hosting for a few dollars more.

But many webmasters, including my friend, said that they had huge spikes in traffic after moving to VPS hosting, and big increases in income too.

The thing is, right now we are on a shared hosting plan with 1,000 other websites on the same server. That's probably why there are page loading errors and slow loading speeds here. We need to upgrade either way, either to cloud shared hosting or VPS hosting.

The Bluehost rep told me that shared hosting should be fine for this site, after I told him that I get 3,000 visitors a day on my main site, HappierAbroad, but usually only about 50-60 people are simultaneously online during the daytime and early evening.

What do you all think?
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: Should I switch my webhost to Bluehost from Godaddy?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 16 Aug 2013, 01:52

I have no experience in these areas, so I'm no help.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Arouet » 16 Aug 2013, 02:10

I'm no expert in webhosting and am not familiar with the advantages and disadvantages of each.

But Scepcop, if you are looking to invest some money into the site, my advisc would be to spring for better forum software like Vbulletin - or at least spend some time seeing if phpbb can result in something similar. I've said this to you for awhile - this forum software is horribly out of date and lacks much of the functionality of other forums. Someone looking for a new place to spend their time might simply pass this place over because of that.
Arouet

Postby really? » 16 Aug 2013, 04:29

I can't help either. I do agree with like Arouet's observation and suggestion.
really?

Postby Scepcop » 17 Aug 2013, 00:32

Ok well we've finally migrated to a better server with a lot fewer sites on it. And we have a new IP too. Have a look:

http://www.my-ip-neighbors.com/?domain= ... eptics.com
http://reverseip.domaintools.com/search ... eptics.com

As you can see, there are only a few sites on our server now, compared to 2,000 before on the last server. Also, our new server is backed up by other servers, which are interlinked with each other so that resources can be pooled between them as necessary.

Hopefully, that should increase the performance of this site greatly. Let me know if the forum now loads faster or smoother than before.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby NinjaPuppy » 17 Aug 2013, 02:18

I don't know about anyone else but it sure feels like it's zippy!

It used to take me a few seconds to enter the Mod controls but now I get there in a heartbeat.

Thanks SCEPCOP!
NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 17 Aug 2013, 02:37

NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 18 Aug 2013, 04:57

Winston - The ladies forum is still down.
NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 20 Aug 2013, 20:33

Winston, where arrrre yoouuu? The ladies forum is still not available.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Arouet » 20 Aug 2013, 22:39

What's the ladies forum? (not that I'd be a member I guess) - I didn't notice that in the Forum list. Is this an separate forum from this one?
Arouet

Postby NinjaPuppy » 21 Aug 2013, 01:59

Last edited by NinjaPuppy on 21 Aug 2013, 02:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Some unknown screw up that happens from time to time
NinjaPuppy

Postby Arouet » 21 Aug 2013, 02:37

Ahhh- thanks. I'm not sure that site is quite my scene though!
Arouet

Postby Scepcop » 23 Aug 2013, 09:47

Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby NinjaPuppy » 23 Aug 2013, 21:26

Ahhhh, thanks Winston. I miss my daily dose of estrogen. ;)
NinjaPuppy

Postby Scepcop » 24 Aug 2013, 02:24

So do the pages on this forum load faster for you all now?

What about 404 page load errors? Do any of you ever get them?
Scepcop
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussions