View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

How To Think Like Sherlock Holmes

Discuss General Topics.

How To Think Like Sherlock Holmes

Postby really? » 08 Feb 2013, 04:32

I got to listen to a little bit of this, but what I did here was interesting.
The famed fictional sleuth was renown for his amazing powers of concentration, observation and deduction. Journalist and psychologist Maria Konnikova explains the thought-processes at work behind such clear thinking and gives tips on achieving similar levels of concentration in a world bristling with distractions. Konnikova is the author of "Mastermind: How To Think Like Sherlock Holmes."
http://www.wypr.org/podcast/how-think-s ... y-6-1-2-pm

Might make for a good topic at Skeptiko.
really?

Re: How To Think Like Sherlock Holmes

Postby NinjaPuppy » 18 Feb 2013, 22:33

Yes, he is a fascinating fictional character. Fictional being the key word here. With training, I do think it might be possible for people to come pretty darned close to this sort of thing but I doubt anyone would achieve the fictional level of perfection.
NinjaPuppy

Postby really? » 19 Feb 2013, 04:13

NinjaPuppy wrote:Yes, he is a fascinating fictional character. Fictional being the key word here. With training, I do think it might be possible for people to come pretty darned close to this sort of thing but I doubt anyone would achieve the fictional level of perfection.

Did you catch the part we we learned Holms was based upon a real human ?
really?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 19 Feb 2013, 05:41

really? wrote:Did you catch the part we we learned Holms was based upon a real human ?

That doesn't surprise me as writers are taught to base their characters on real people, places and things known to them. Where they take the character from there is the 'magic'.
NinjaPuppy

Return to General Discussions