View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

This skeptic blogger girl has the wrong idea about this site

Discuss General Topics.

Re: This skeptic blogger girl has the wrong idea about this site

Postby Purple Scissor » 13 Aug 2009, 05:53

LinzeeBinzee wrote:Hey guys,

I just want to say that despite the disagreements that we (some of us) have you're all a really nice bunch and it's really cool of you to let things go.

My original blog post was one of the earlier ones and I was, lets say, a little over-enthusiastic. I was making statements about SCEPCOP without backing them up, and I clearly don't have the skeptical chops yet to defend what I was saying, so I shouldn't be saying those things.

The Warrigal, you said "I also appreciate how members here could be offended by her claim that the mere act of sullying her browser could have the supernatural ability to lower her IQ points."

I looked over the original post I made and it didn't say that...I hope I didn't say that because I think the opposite is true, that there's a lot to learn from this site.

Anyways I just wanted to say thanks for being so cool, we can agree to disagree, and maybe when I've learned a lot more we can engage in debate again :)

Keep in touch Lindsay. If you want a quick way to find the best skeptical conclusions which are usually not pseudoskeptical, study the writings of Ray Hyman. That is the quickest way for a skeptic to come up to scratch, because he gives the true state-of-the art skeptical response to the best cases of modern parapsychology. It is disappointing for a skeptic who wishes to laugh, though, and it can be rough going in technical terms.
Purple Scissor

Postby brett » 13 Aug 2009, 13:57

LinzeeBinzee wrote:Hey guys,

I just want to say that despite the disagreements that we (some of us) have you're all a really nice bunch and it's really cool of you to let things go.

My original blog post was one of the earlier ones and I was, lets say, a little over-enthusiastic. I was making statements about SCEPCOP without backing them up, and I clearly don't have the skeptical chops yet to defend what I was saying, so I shouldn't be saying those things.

The Warrigal, you said "I also appreciate how members here could be offended by her claim that the mere act of sullying her browser could have the supernatural ability to lower her IQ points."

I looked over the original post I made and it didn't say that...I hope I didn't say that because I think the opposite is true, that there's a lot to learn from this site.

Anyways I just wanted to say thanks for being so cool, we can agree to disagree, and maybe when I've learned a lot more we can engage in debate again :)

well i have kept out of this one till now - but may i just say that your statement above took real guts and i applaud you linzee - please DO come back when you feel ready - you will be welcome :D :D - in the mean time all the best to you
LIFE - just filling the bits between birth, death and taxes
brett

Postby ciscop » 13 Aug 2009, 14:10

uuh i didnt want anybody to jump this one
so... i just repost it

hahahaha
im sorry scescop
but being open minded about uri geller means letting my brains fall out
also professor wag offered a study in nature, i dont see you providing any links to a study in nature and what you propose is URI GELLER?
why dont you propose peter popoff or james hydrick? common

THAT GUY IS A FREAKING MAGICIAN
(an awesome one with great sleight of hand and a charming persona)

you dont understand
those guys WERENT prepared to analyze a magician!!
i do some of his tricks! people will swear i am a psychic but i do tell. IT IS A TRICK.. i do have ethics, that guy doesnt

now lets see the facts
1. Has been caught cheating many times in TV and Youtube (when he gets caught cheating he always demands that those links be removed)
2. Why would a psychic cheat?
3. Why would a psychic stop using psychic and now uses the term mystifier? he isnt a psychic anymore? he is also not saying if he was a psychic for the past 30 years.
4. Hangs around with MAGICIANS.. (my friends saw him in a magic fair in vegas)
5. Hates people debunking tricks of magicians (remember that david blaine article?)
6. The spoon bending is a trick thats way before he appears.. also.. do you know why a spoon or fork? why not a knife?,, THE KNIFE IS WAY TOO DIFFICULT TO BEND IN REAL LIFE, also dangerous.. TRY IT.. NOW TRY A SPOON.. WAY EASIER!..
7. When they were controls.. like the johnny carson show... HE FAILED MISERABLY
8. Theres many ways of doing what he does throught magic methods, a lot of the stuff he does comes from BEFORE he was known as a psychic (he didnt invent it).
9. Has been in the cover of Genii (only magicians appear in the cover of Genii magazine)

Uri geller is a magician
you want to believe THE PEOPLE that believe he is true
he isnt
sorry if you are so naive
but when that ships crashes and sinks
you will look like a fool for believing he is honest
just ask yourself
HAS URI CHEATED BEFORE? (YES!) and WHY WOULD A PSYCHIC CHEAT?

simple.. soo simple
the truth is there but you wont recognize it
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby ProfWag » 13 Aug 2009, 22:01

ciscop wrote:uuh i didnt want anybody to jump this one
so... i just repost it

hahahaha
im sorry scescop
but being open minded about uri geller means letting my brains fall out
also professor wag offered a study in nature, i dont see you providing any links to a study in nature and what you propose is URI GELLER?
why dont you propose peter popoff or james hydrick? common

THAT GUY IS A FREAKING MAGICIAN
(an awesome one with great sleight of hand and a charming persona)

you dont understand
those guys WERENT prepared to analyze a magician!!
i do some of his tricks! people will swear i am a psychic but i do tell. IT IS A TRICK.. i do have ethics, that guy doesnt

now lets see the facts
1. Has been caught cheating many times in TV and Youtube (when he gets caught cheating he always demands that those links be removed)
2. Why would a psychic cheat?
3. Why would a psychic stop using psychic and now uses the term mystifier? he isnt a psychic anymore? he is also not saying if he was a psychic for the past 30 years.
4. Hangs around with MAGICIANS.. (my friends saw him in a magic fair in vegas)
5. Hates people debunking tricks of magicians (remember that david blaine article?)
6. The spoon bending is a trick thats way before he appears.. also.. do you know why a spoon or fork? why not a knife?,, THE KNIFE IS WAY TOO DIFFICULT TO BEND IN REAL LIFE, also dangerous.. TRY IT.. NOW TRY A SPOON.. WAY EASIER!..
7. When they were controls.. like the johnny carson show... HE FAILED MISERABLY
8. Theres many ways of doing what he does throught magic methods, a lot of the stuff he does comes from BEFORE he was known as a psychic (he didnt invent it).
9. Has been in the cover of Genii (only magicians appear in the cover of Genii magazine)

Uri geller is a magician
you want to believe THE PEOPLE that believe he is true
he isnt
sorry if you are so naive
but when that ships crashes and sinks
you will look like a fool for believing he is honest
just ask yourself
HAS URI CHEATED BEFORE? (YES!) and WHY WOULD A PSYCHIC CHEAT?

simple.. soo simple
the truth is there but you wont recognize it

Good questions one and all ciscop. If you have to do one thing that is a trick, then everything you do is a trick. Quite simple indeed.
ProfWag

Postby Scepcop » 14 Aug 2009, 03:17

Ciscop, Profwag,

Here on Dean Radin's site, a number of journals are mentioned which publishes articles about Parapsychology. As you can see, Nature is mentioned.

http://www.deanradin.com/para3.html

The primary peer-reviewed parapsychological journals today include the following:

European Journal of Parapsychology
Journal of Parapsychology
Journal of the American Society of Psychic Research
Journal of the Society of Psychical Research
Zeitschrift fur Psychologische Grenzgebiete
Other journals that have published parapsychological articles include:

Foundations of Physics
Journal of Scientific Exploration
Proceedings of the IEEE
Psychological Bulletin
Statistical Science
Subtle Energies
Science
Nature
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby ProfWag » 14 Aug 2009, 03:50

Scepcop wrote:Ciscop, Profwag,

Here on Dean Radin's site, a number of journals are mentioned which publishes articles about Parapsychology. As you can see, Nature is mentioned.

http://www.deanradin.com/para3.html

The primary peer-reviewed parapsychological journals today include the following:

European Journal of Parapsychology
Journal of Parapsychology
Journal of the American Society of Psychic Research
Zeitschrift fur Psychologische Grenzgebiete
Other journals that have published parapsychological articles include:

Foundations of Physics
Journal of Scientific Exploration
Proceedings of the IEEE
Psychological Bulletin
Statistical Science
Subtle Energies
Science
Nature

Uhhh, yes, I've seen that and know it's there. I'm well aware of many of these journals as I access and view material from them quite often. I had also seen those listed on his site. Thanks though.
I realize that we've gotten way off topic, but my last post here was supporting the statement that Uri Geller was and is a magician. What does Dean Radin have to do with Uri Geller? (Other than the obvious.)
On a side note, most of those journals aren't listed in the scholarly search engines at my university so that hints something to me.
ProfWag

Postby Purple Scissor » 14 Aug 2009, 14:24

here is parapsychology in mainstream journals:
http://www.metapsychique.org/Articles-d ... -dans.html
Purple Scissor

Postby ciscop » 14 Aug 2009, 22:27

yep i guess they decided to jump the uri geller question
:D
i can repeat it... he is a magiciaaaaaaaan not a psychic
nothing he does is paranormal and i offered proof already...

and purple.. thanks for the link quite cool here is the complete list
Akers, C. (1986) Has parapsychology found its basic experiments ? [Review of The basic experiments in parapsychology, K. Ramakrishna Rao (Ed.)] Contemp Psychol, 31, 180-181.

Astin, J.A., Harkness, E., & Ernst, E. (2000). The efficacy of « distant healing » : A systematic review of randomized trials. Annals of Internal Medecine, 132, 903-910.

Aybar, B. (1954). Reflejos psiquicos a distancia. Humanitas : Revista de la Facultad de Filosofia y Letras de la Universidad de Tiicuman, 1,203-211.

Baker, K.H. (1937) Report of a minor investigation of extrasensory perception. J Exp Psychol, 21, 120-125.

Barnum, B.J. (1989) Expanded consciousness : Nurses’ experiences. Nurs Outlook, 37, 260-266.

Beaunis, H. (1886) Un fait de suggestion mentale. Rev Philosophique, 21, 204.

Bem, D. and Honorton, C. (1994), Does psi exist ? Replicable evidence of an anomalous process of information transfer. Psychological Bulletin, 115, 4-18. (Traduit en français ici).

Bernstein, Seth D (1979). An evaluation of psychic readers of human energy. Dissertation Abstracts International, 39(7-B), (pp. 3549)

Beutler, J.J. et al. (1987) The effect of paranormal healing on hypertension. J Hypertension, 5, 551-552. Beutler, J.J. et al (1988) Paranormal healing and hypertension, Br Med J., 296, 1491-1494.

Bierman, D. J. & Radin, D. I. (1997). Anomalous anticipatory response on randomized future conditions. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 84, 689-690.

Bird, J.M. (1922). A square deal for the psychics. Sci Am, Dec, pp. 388-389.

Bird, J.M. (1923). Our first test seances. Sci Am, 129, 14-69.

Bird, J.M. (1924). Psychic adventures at home. Sci Am, 130, 20-21.

Bird, J.M. (1924). Our psychic investigation advances. Sci Am, 130, 86-143.

Bird, J. M. (1924). Our next psychic. Sci Am, July, 28-29.

Bird, J.M. (1924). The Margery’ mediumship : 1. Describing our first test sitting, and explaining our program for the immediate future. Sci Am, Aug., 88-89.

Bird, J.M. (1924). Our psychic investigation : A formulation of new policy, and a rejoinder to a harsh critic. Sci Am, Oct., 233.

Birdwhistell, R.L. (1966) Research in exceptional phenomena. Am J Clin Hypn, 8, 237-244.

Byrd, R.J. (1988). Positive therapeutic effects of intercessory prayer in a coronary care unit population. Southern Medical Journal, 81, 826-829.

Bongard, M.M. & Smirnov, M.S. (1966) The « cutaneous vision » of R. Kuleshov. Fed Proc Transl Suppl, 24, 1015-1018.

Bösch, H, Steinkamp, F, and Boller, E (2006). Examining psychokinesis : The interaction of human intention with random number generators - A meta-analysis. Psychological Bulletin, 132.

Bösch, H, Steinkamp, F, and Boller, E (2006). In the eye of the beholder : Reply to Wilson and Shadish (2006) and Radin, Nelson, Dobyns, and Houtkooper (2006). Psychological Bulletin, 132, 533-537.

Bronzaft, A.L. (1972) Internal-external scores and success on an ESP task. Psychol Rep, 31, 41-42.

Buscaino, V.M. (1967) Fotografia del pensiero ? Act Neurol, 22, 491.

Caballero, O. (1982) (At the fringes of nursing. Healers and parapsychological medecine). Rev Enferm, 5, 31-34.

Chertok, L., Recherches et doutes sur la vision extra-rétinienne, L’Encéphale, 1964, t.53, n°6.

Child, I. L. (1985), Psychology and anomalous observations. The Question of ESP in dreams. American Psychologist, 40, 1219-1230.

Colwell J, The ability to detecte unseen staring, British journal of psychology, 24, 57-575

Comunetti, A.M. (1978) Systematic experiments to establish the spatial distribution of physiologically effective stimuli of unidentified nature. Experientia, 34, 889-893.

Courtier, J. (1908) Rapport sur les séances d’Eusapia Palladino à l’lnstitut Général Psychologique en 1905,1906,1907 et 1908. Bulletin de l’lnstitut General Psychologique, 8,415-546.

Courtier, J. (1909) Rapport sur les séances d’Eusapia Palladino à l’lnstitut Général Psychologique. Bulletin de I ’Institut General Psychologique, 5,6.

Crussard C. et Bauvaist J. (1978). Etude de quelques déformations et transformations apparemment anormales de métaux. Mémoires Scientifiques Revue Métallurgiques. 75, n°2, 117.

Crussard C. and G. Jollant (1984). Recherches sur les déformations anormales de métaux. Mémoires Scientifiques Revue Métallurgiques. fev. 1984 n° 10.

Dean, E.D. (1966) Plethysmograph recording as ESP responses. Int J Neuropsychiatry , 2, 439-446.

Dreistadt, Roy (1971). The prophetic achievements of geniuses and types of extrasensory perception. Psychology : A Journal of Human Behavior, 8(2), (pp. 27-40)

Duane, T. & Behrendt, T. (1965) Extrasensory electroencephalographic induction between identical twins. Science, 150, 367.

Duteil, C. (1978) Un medium dans le laboratoire. Psychologie, Avril 1978.

Ermacora, G.B. (1897). Casi di telepatia con percezione collettiva. Raccoglitore Medico, 10 Gennaio.

Foulkes, D., Belvedere, E., Masters, R.E., Houston, J., Krippner, S., Honorton, C, Ullman, M. (1972). Long-distance, "sensory-bombardment" ESP in dreams : a failure to replicate. Percept Mot Skills,35(3):731-4.

Free, E.E. (1924). Our psychic investigation : Preliminary committee opinion on the Margery case. Sci Am, Nov., 304.

Free, E.E (1925). The psychic investigation : Claims of Margery’ to produce supernormal phenomena are rejected by the committee. Sci Am, Jan., 229.

Glkk, B.S. & Kogen, J. (1973) Clairvoyance in hypnotized subjects : Some positive results. Psychiatr Q, 47, 276-284.

Globus, G.G. et al. (1968) An appraisal of telepathic communication in dreams. Psychophysiology, 4, 365.

Harris, W.S., Gowda, M., Kolb, J.W., Strychacz, C.P., Vacek, J.L., Jones, P.G., et al. (1999). A randomized, controlled trial of the effects of remote, intercessory prayer on outcomes in patients admitted to a coronary care unit. Archives of Internal Medicine, 159, 2273-2278.

Harvalik, Z.V. (1978) Anatomical localization of human detection of weak electro-magnetic radiation : Experiments with dowsers. Physiol Chem Phys, 10, 525-534.

Hericourt, J. (1886) Un cas de somnambulisme à distance. Rev Philosophique, 21, 200-203.

Honorton, C. et al. (1972). A study of telepathicaily-influenced dream content under two conditions. Psychophysiol, 9, 115.

Honorton, C. et al. (1972). Shift in subjective state associated with feedback-augmented EEG alpha. Psychophysiol, 9, 269- 270.

Horowitz, K.A. et al. (1975) Plant "primary perception". Electrophysiological unresp-onsiveness to brine shrimps killing. Science, 189, 478-480.

Houtkooper, J.M., Schienle, A., Stark, R., Vaitl, D. (1999). Geophysical variables and behavior : LXXXVIII. Atmospheric electromagnetism : the possible disturbing influence of natural sferics on ESP. Percept Mot Skills, 89(3 Pt 2):1179-92.

Houtkooper, J.M., Schienle, A., Stark, R., Vaitl, D. (2001). Atmospheric electromagnetism : attempted replication of the correlation between natural sferics and ESP. Percept Mot Skills, 93(3):754-6.

Istre, M. (1974) (Astonishing premonition of the painter Victor Brauner). Bull Soc Ophtalmol Fr, 74,159-162.

Jahn, R.G. (1982). The Persistant Paradox of Psychic Phenomena : An Engineering Perspective. Proceedings IEEE, 70, No.2, pp.136-170.

Krippner, S. (1965) Coding and clairvoyance in a dual aspect test with children. Percept Mot Skills, 20, 745-748.

Krippner, S. (1968). Experiments in telepathy. J Am Soc Psychosom Dent Med, 15(4):158-63.

Krippner, S. (1968). An experimental study in hypnosis and telepathy. American Journal of Clinical Hypnosis, (1), (pp. 45-54)

Krippner, S. (1969) Investigations of extrasensory phenomena in dreams and other altered states of consciousness. J Am Soc Psychosom Dent Med, 16, 7-14.

Krippner, S. & Ullman, M. (1969) Telepathic perception in the dream state : Confirmatory study using EEG-EOG monitoring techniques. Percept Mot Skills, 29,915-918.

Krippner, S. & Ullman, M. (1970) Telepathy and dreams : A controlled experiment with electroencephalogram-electro-oculogram monitoring. J Nerv Ment Dis, 151, 394-403.

Krippner, S., Hickman, J., Auerhahn, N., Harris, R.. (1972) Clairvoyant perception of target material in three states of consciousness. Percept Mot Skills, 35, 439- 446.

Krippner, S., Honorton, C. & Ullman, M. (1973) A long-distance ESP dream study with the "Grateful Dead". J Am Soc Psychosom Dent Med, 20, 9-17.

Leutin, V.P. (1968) (An electroenceph- alographic study of the interaction of sensorily isolated subjects by the conditioned reflex method). Nerv Sist, 9, 172-176.

Lombroso, C. (1891). Inchiesta sulla trasmissione del pensiero. Archivio di Psichiatria, Scienze Penali e Antropologia Criniinale, 12, 58-109.

Marillier, L. (1887) La suggestion mentale et les actions à distance. Rev Philosophique, 23, 400-422.

May, E.C., Paulinyi, T., & Vassy, Z. (2005). Anomalous anticipatory skin conductance response to acoustic stimuli : Experimental results and speculation about a mechanism. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 11, 587-588.

McConnell, R.A. (1955) Wishing with dice. J Exp Psychol, 50, 269-275.

Michie, D., & West, D.J. (1957). An experiment on telepathy using television. Nature, 21 ;180(4599):1402-3.

Milton, J., & Wiseman, R. (1999). Does psi exist ? Lack of replication of an anomalous process of information transfer. Psychological Bulletin, 125. 387-391.

Milton, J., & Wiseman, R. (1999). A meta-analysis of mass-media tests of extrasensory perception. British Journal of Psychology, 90, 235-240.

Milton, J., & Wiseman, R. (2001). Does psi exist ? Reply to Storm and Ertel. Psychological Bulletin, 127, 434-438

Moss, T. & Gengerelli, J.A. (1967) Telepathy and emotional stimuli : A controlled experiment. J Abnorm Soc Psychol, 72, 341- 348.

Moss, T., Paulson, M.J., Chang, A.F., & Levitt, M. (1970). Hypnosis and ESP. A controlled experiment. Am J Clin llypn, 13, 46-56.

Moss, T. et al. (1970) Long-distance ESP : A controlled study. J Abnorm Psychol, 76, 288-294.

Moss, T. & Gengerelli, J A (1970). ESP effects generated by affective states. Behavioral Neuropsychiatry, 2(9-10), (pp. 8-12)

Moss, T., Eveloff, H.H., Chang, A.F. (1974). A laboratory investigation of telepathy : The study of a psychic. Behav Neuropsychiatry, 6, 71-80.

Murphy, G. (1967). Introductory aspects of modern parapsychological research. Trans N Y Acad Sci, 30(2):256-60.

Nash, C.B. & Buzby, D.E. (1965). Extrasensory perception of identical and fraternal twins : Comparison of clairvoyance test scores. J Hered, 56, 52-54.

Nelson, R.D., Radin, D., Shoup, R, & Bancel, P. (2002). Correlations of Continuous Random Data with Major World Events. Foudations of Physics Letters, 15,(6), 537-550.

Palmer, J. (2003). ESP in the ganzfeld : Analysis of a debate. Journal of Consciousness Studies, 10, 51-68.

Polzella, D.J. & Gouse, A-S. (1978). Psychic : A basic game to test ESP. Behav Res Meth Instr, 10,426-428.

Pratt, J.G. (1966) Extrasensory perception research in Russia and Czechoslovakia. Int J Neuropsychiatry, 2, 378-385.

Pratt, J.G. et al. (1968) Identification of concealed randomized objects through acquired response habits of stimulus and word association. Nature, 220, 89-91.

Price, G.R. (1956). Where is the definitive experiment ? Science, 6 ;123(3184):17-8.

Price, H. (1923) Convincing phenomena at Munich. Psyche, April.

Puharich, H.K. (1966). Electrical field reinforcement of ESP. Int J Neuropsychiatry, 2(5):474-86.

Puthoff, H., Targ, R. (1981). Rebuttal of criticisms of remote viewing experiments. Nature, 23 ;292(5821):388.

Pütz P, Braeunig M, Wackermann J. (2006) EEG correlates of multimodal-ganzfeld induced hallucinatory imagery. International Journal of Psychophysiology, 61 : 167—178.

Radin, D.I. & Nelson, R.D. (1989) Evidence for consciousness-related anomalies in random physical systems. Foundations of Physics, 19,1499-1514.

Radin, D. ; Nelson, R. ; Dobyns, Y. ; Houtkooper, J., Reexamining Psychokinesis : Comment on Bosch, Steinkamp, and Boller (2006), Psychological Bulletin, v132 n4 p529-532 Jul 2006.

Rhine, J.B. (1936), Some selected experiments in extra-sensory perception. Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 31, 216-228.

Rhine, J.B. (1940) Extra-sensory perception : A review. Scientific Monthly, 51,450-459.

Rhine, J.B. (1955). Value of a "negative" experiment in extrasensory perception. Science, 3 ;121(3153):808.

Rhine, J.B. (1956). The experiment should fit the hypothesis. Science, 6 ;123(3184):19.

Rhine, J.B. (1972) Parapsychology. NZ Med J, 75, 36.

Rhine, J.B. ; Morris, C.G. ; Taylor, W. S. (1965). Parapsychology Not Guilty. Science, Volume 149, Issue 3687, pp. 910.

Rhine, J.B. & Rhine, L.E. (1927). One evening’s observation on the Margery mediumship. J Abn Soc Psychol, 21,401- 421.

Rhine, J.B. & Rhine, L.E. (1929) An investigation of a "mind-reading" horse. J Abnorm Soc Psychol, 23,449-466.

Rhine, J.B. & Rhine, L.E. (1929) Second report on Lady, the "mind-reading" horse. J Abnorm Soc PsychoJ, 24,287-292.

Richet, C. (1884) La suggestion mentale et le calcul des probabilités. Rev Philosophique, 18, 608-674.

Richet, C. (1886) Un fait de somnambulisme à distance. Rev Philosophique, 21,199-200.

Richet, C. (1888) Expériences sur le sommeil à distance. Rev Philosophique, 25,435-452.

Ryzl, M. (1976) Review of some ESP experiments with a hypnotically prepared subject. J Am Soc Psychosom Dent Med, 23, 40-53.

Ryzl, M. (1976) Review of some ESP experiments with a hypnotically prepared subject. J Am Soc Psychosom Dent Med, 23, 75-81.

Onetto, B. & Elguin, G.H. (1968). Psychokinesis in experimental tumorgenesis. Ada Psiauiatr Psichol Am hat, 14,47-60.

Schlitz, M., & Braud, W. (1997), Distant intentionality and healing : Assessing the evidence. Alternative Therapies, 3, 62-73.

Schlitz, M., Wiseman, R., Watt, C., & Radin, D. (2006). Of two minds : Sceptic-proponent collaboration within parapsychology. Br J Psychol, 97(Pt 3):313-22.

Schmidt, H. (1963) Extrasensory perception or probability ? Percept Mot Skills, 16,185-186.

Schmidt, H. (1971) Mental Influence on random events. New Scientist, 24 June, 757-758.

Schmidt, H. (1982) Collapse of the state vector and psychokinetic effect. Foundations of Physics, 12, 565-581.

Schmidt, S., Schneider, R., Utts, J. M. & Walach, H. (2004). Distant Intentionality and the Feeling of Being Stared At - Two Meta-Analyses. British Journal of Psychology, 95, 235-247.

Sheldrake, R. (2000) The "sense of being stared at" does not depend on known sensory clues. Riv Biol, 93(2):237-52.

Sheldrake, R., & Smart, P. (2005). Testing for telepathy in connection with e-mails. Percept Mot Skills, 101(3):771-86.

Sherwood, S., & Roe, C. (2003). A review of the Dream ESP studies since the Maimonides Dream ESP studies. Journal of Consciousness studies, 10, 85-110

Smith, K., Canon, H.J. (1954). A methodological refinement in the study of ESP, and negative findings. Science, 23 ;120(3108):148-9.

Smith, K. & Curran, S.A. (1958) An experimental investigation of "non-randomness" in parapsychology targets and calls. J Gen Psychol, 59, 273-288.

Spanos, N.P. et al. (1986) Glossolalia as learned behavior : An experimental demonstration. JAbn Psychol, 95,21-23.

Spivak, L.I. (1988) Altered states of consciousness in healthy persons (the formulation of the question and research prospects). Fiziol Cheloveka, 14,138-147.

Stevenson, I., Beloff, J,. West, D.J., & Eysenck, H.J. (1969). ESP - a scientific evaluation. Br J Psychiatry, 115, 743-745.

Storm, L., & Ertel, S. (2001), Does psi exist ? Milton and Wiseman (1999) metaanalysis of ganzfeld research, Psychological Bulletin, 127, 424-433.

Targ, R., & Puthoff, H. (1974) Information transmission under conditions of sensory shielding. Nature, 252, 602-607.

Targ, R., & Puthoff, H. E. (1976). Perceptual Channel for Information Transfer over Kilometer Distances : Historical Perspective and Recent Research. Proc. IEEE, vol. 64, pp. 329-354.

Tart, C.T., Puthoff, H. E., & Targ, R. (1980) Information transmission in remote viewing experiments. Nature, 284, 191.

Thouless, R.H. (1942) Experiments on paranormal guessing. Br J Psychol, 33, 15- 27.

Thouless, R.H. (1948) Psychical research and experimental psychology. Br J Psychol, 39, 97-101.

Uleman, J.S. (1971) Dyadic influence in an "ESP study" and TAT measures of the needs for influence and power. J Pers Assess, 35, 248-251.

Ullman, M. (1966). An experimental approach to dreams and telepathy. Methodology and preliminary findings. Arch Gen Psychiatry, 14(6):605-13.

Ullman, M. (1967). Rapid eye movement dream-monitoring techniques in current ESP research. Trans N Y Acad Sci, 30(2):265-70.

Ullman, M. (1969) Telepathy and dreams. Exp Med Surg, 27,19-38.

Ullman, M. (1973) Bio-communication in dreams. J Am Acad Psychoanal, 1,429-446.

Ullman, M., & Krippner, S. (1969) A laboratory approach to the nocturnal dimension of paranormal experience : Report of a confirmatory study using the REM monitoring technique. Biol Psychiatry, 1, 259-270.

Ullman, M., & Krippner, S. (1970). An experimental approach to dreams and telepathy. II. Report of three studies. Am J Psychiatry ;126(9):1282-9.

Ullman, M., Krippner, S., & Feldstein, S. (1966). Experimentally-induced telepathic dreams : two studies using EEG-REM monitoring technique. Int J Neuropsychiatry ;2(5):420-37.

Ullman, M. et al. (1970) A review of the Maimonides Dream ESP experiments : 1964-1969. Psychophysiol, 7, 352-353.

Utts, J. (1991) Replication and meta-analysis in parapsychology. Stat Sci, 6, 363-403.

Van De Castle, R L (1969). The facilitation of ESP through hypnosis. American Journal of Clinical Hypnosis, 12(1), (pp. 37-56)

Wackermann, J. (2003). Correlations between brain electrical activities of two spatially separated human subjects, Neuroscience letters, 336, 60-64

Wallack, J.M. (1984). Testing for a psychokinetic effect on plants : Effects of a laying on’ of hands on germinating corn seed. Psychol Rep, 55,15-18.

Willis, J. et al. (1974). ESP in the classroom : Failure to replicate. Psychol Rep, 35, 582.

Wilson, D.B., Shadish, W.R. (2006). On blowing trumpets to the tulips : to prove or not to prove the null hypothesis—comment on Bösch, Steinkamp, and Boller (2006). Psychol Bull. 2006 Jul ;132(4):524-8 ; discussion 533-7. Comment on : Psychol Bull. 2006 Jul ;132(4):497-523.

seems quite cool !! i would love to read those articles..
but i dont think all this journals and experiments support psi, esp or paranormal
there is a couple of articles in there from Wiseman. R.... Richard Wiseman.. one of the biggest debunkers of psychics out there
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Re: This skeptic blogger girl has the wrong idea about this

Postby spoirier » 15 Jan 2011, 04:34

Scepcop wrote:Welcome Linzee.
No one here, not even the most staunch paranormal supporters, has a problem with wanting evidence to believe in something. None of us ever advocates believing everything you hear, that is a classic straw man that pseudo-skeptics use against us, which we NEVER say in reality. We have no problem against the concept of skepticism itself, what we are opposing is PEOPLE who call themselves skeptics but are in fact pseudo-skeptics because of their ACTIONS and BEHAVIORS.

Sorry I did not carefully read everything so I'm not sure if the remark has already been done, but I think that, in general, what "skeptics" mean when they accuse you of believing everything, is, from their viewpoint, not a matter of whether you CLAIM that one should believe everything, but a matter of whether you DO believe, well of course, not everything, but many things without enough scrutinity.

In this sense, the fact that you SAY that one should want evidence to believe in something, and that you are very sincere in doing so, would be irrelevant.
The same way, when you observe that pseudo-skeptics are not true skeptics based on their actions and behavior, maybe you should pay attention to remember that, somehow, they are as sincere as you in believing that they are themselves skeptics, so that there is a superficial symmetry (a symmetry of intentions and perceptions) between the two sides.

Then, sorry to disappoint you, but as for the accusation written in this blog page about SCEPCOP that "the M.O. of this website seems to be to believe everything unless it’s backed up by science", some very good scientists may have this very impression, and may be justified to react in this way, when they first browse this site, have a look at the Books section, and see there "Everything You Know Is Wrong by Lloyd Pye".
spoirier

Re: This skeptic blogger girl has the wrong idea about this

Postby Arouet » 16 Jan 2011, 09:10

Just read this thread: PLEASE tell me there's a Wu/Shermer debate in the works! That'd almost be worth hoofing out to dragon con for!
Arouet

Previous

Return to General Discussions