View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Happy Chinese New Year Everyone!

Discuss General Topics.

Happy Chinese New Year Everyone!

Postby Scepcop » 23 Jan 2012, 14:44

For what it's worth, HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR EVERYONE! Wishing you all happiness, success, luck, prosperity and health this year!

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: Happy Chinese New Year Everyone!

Postby Arouet » 24 Jan 2012, 02:45

Ok, so there are 102 views of this post, made today. Unless Scepcop is clicking it constantly I don't think the 5 or so regs have made up most of those views! Where are you guys? Why lurk? join in the discussion!
Arouet

Postby ProfWag » 24 Jan 2012, 04:19

Scepcop wrote:For what it's worth, HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR EVERYONE! Wishing you all happiness, success, luck, prosperity and health this year!

"I don't get something. What is the logic behind celebrating a "New Year"? I think this is one of those things where people celebrate it because "everyone else is doing it". But if you think about it, there's no logic behind it at all. I mean, an additional digit on a calendar year is not any sort of "event" that is happy or unhappy. It is not a positive or negative event. And it is not any sort of accomplishment to be proud of either. So why celebrate it?

It's understandable to celebrate some happy event, accomplishment, or new deal. Those are merits to celebrate. But just because a number moves in a calendar? If you think about it, there's no logic or reason behind it. It's an empty excuse to celebrate and party. Society ought to think of better reasons to celebrate things. Obviously, New Year is way overrated and devoid of any substance. What is so happy about a New Year? One has no idea what a "New Year" will even bring. So how is it a "positive event"? It isn't. It makes no sense.

People are not rational or driven by logic. They are programmed and conformist. This is a classic case of "people doing something only because everyone else is doing it.'" - Scepcop
ProfWag

Postby gwb » 10 Feb 2012, 20:16

Hi all, i am also want to wish you Happy Chinese New Year..... :D :D :D :D
gwb

Postby NinjaPuppy » 10 Mar 2012, 03:26

ProfWag wrote:
Scepcop wrote:For what it's worth, HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR EVERYONE! Wishing you all happiness, success, luck, prosperity and health this year!

"I don't get something. What is the logic behind celebrating a "New Year"? I think this is one of those things where people celebrate it because "everyone else is doing it". But if you think about it, there's no logic behind it at all. I mean, an additional digit on a calendar year is not any sort of "event" that is happy or unhappy. It is not a positive or negative event. And it is not any sort of accomplishment to be proud of either. So why celebrate it?

Hey there ProfPartyPooper. I'm not sure but nobility never needed a reason to celebrate but I'd bet a buck three sixty that the peons of the land appreciated the day off. More to the point.... I can understand celebrating the equinoxes and the occasional solstices and all but who picked Jan. 1 as the start of a new year? Who decided how Chinese New Year gets started and what's up with those animal years?
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 10 Mar 2012, 03:42

NinjaPuppy wrote:
ProfWag wrote:

Hey there ProfPartyPooper. I'm not sure but nobility never needed a reason to celebrate but I'd bet a buck three sixty that the peons of the land appreciated the day off. More to the point.... I can understand celebrating the equinoxes and the occasional solstices and all but who picked Jan. 1 as the start of a new year? Who decided how Chinese New Year gets started and what's up with those animal years?

Ya' know Ninja, I was looking at that post that appeared to be from me and I'm like "what the hell is that? That's not in my line of thinking at all?" And then I noticed what I did--Back in another thread, Scepcop actually wrote that post saying he didn't understand why people celebrate New Years (note his name at the end of the post) and then in another thread he's writing "Happy Chinese New Year which totally contradicts what he said in another post. So, I was just pointing out his inconsistencies. So sorry for the confusion. See, it really isn't me that's the party pooper as I even celebrate because the day of the week ends with a "y"...Any ol' excuse for a drink, ya know...
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 10 Mar 2012, 03:50

ProfWag wrote:Ya' know Ninja, I was looking at that post that appeared to be from me and I'm like "what the hell is that?

It's deja vous as I have many times said this to myself after reading one of your posts. :lol: Just jokin'

ProfWag wrote:See, it really isn't me that's the party pooper as I even celebrate because the day of the week ends with a "y"...Any ol' excuse for a drink, ya know...

Ahhhhh, that explains it. :lol:
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 10 Mar 2012, 04:27

NinjaPuppy wrote:It's deja vous as I have many times said this to myself after reading one of your posts. :lol: Just jokin'

Just curious, did the entire world wake up this morning and say "Hey, let's pick on Wag today!" ;-)
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 10 Mar 2012, 09:29

ProfWag wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:It's deja vous as I have many times said this to myself after reading one of your posts. :lol: Just jokin'
{/quote]
Just curious, did the entire world wake up this morning and say "Hey, let's pick on Wag today!" ;-)

As a matter of fact, I do recall seeing something about this being pick on your favorite Prof day. Either that or it's the full moon and those solar flares.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Jalen » 28 Mar 2012, 21:07

Happy new year from me and i also wish that may this year will be more prosper for every one and bring the many more happiness and healthy for every one.
Jalen

Postby micky011 » 22 Jun 2012, 15:52

Chinese New year celebratory all Chinese friends with all over world. i am like this festival in china .
micky011

Postby james56 » 01 Aug 2014, 14:56

Is New Year’s Eve a big deal for people celebrating the Chinese New Year? I have been to some of the best NYE party and we New Yorkers sure know how to party!
Last edited by NinjaPuppy on 02 Aug 2014, 02:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL removed by Moderator
james56

Return to General Discussions