View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Impressive psi trick. How does he do it?

Discuss General Topics.

Impressive psi trick. How does he do it?

Postby Scepcop » 30 Jul 2009, 21:08

Any theories or explanations?

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: Impressive psi trick. How does he do it?

Postby Jim-Callahan » 31 Jul 2009, 05:41

I agree it is impressive.

Wish I could do it.

Jim
Jim-Callahan

Postby ciscop » 10 Aug 2009, 14:46

to many glitches and cuts to even be considered for mindfreak (worst magic show ever)

:roll:
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby ciscop » 10 Aug 2009, 14:50

Jim-Callahan wrote:I agree it is impressive.

Wish I could do it.

Jim

and jim
i hope you take this the good way
i have seen your videos
im pretty sure you can pull this one off if you had the time and care too
does seems like a lot of work....
but achievable :D
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby ProfWag » 10 Aug 2009, 23:11

Scepcop wrote:Any theories or explanations?

It's basic physics. If you care to take the time, go to your local community college and show this to the physics teacher. He/she will tell you. I would provide the simple explanation, but then I'd get ambushed by the magicians in this forum...
ProfWag

Postby ciscop » 11 Aug 2009, 06:51

i have already been ambushed by magicians here
but i dont care.. since both are jim and dave
ciscop

Postby Scepcop » 11 Aug 2009, 11:46

Are you saying he uses a magic trick or it's just a simple case of video editing?
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby ProfWag » 11 Aug 2009, 22:03

Scepcop wrote:Are you saying he uses a magic trick or it's just a simple case of video editing?

If it were a case of video editing, I wouldn't have recommended you visit your local physics instructor. I'll give you a hint though, think "heat."
Wag
ProfWag

Postby brett » 15 Aug 2009, 13:57

ProfWag wrote:
Scepcop wrote:Are you saying he uses a magic trick or it's just a simple case of video editing?

If it were a case of video editing, I wouldn't have recommended you visit your local physics instructor. I'll give you a hint though, think "heat."
Wag

um - if it is heat causing this - er how does the wheel stop and start ?? - surly if heat was responsible - then the wheel would continue spinning in one direction ??- i have seen this done without the glass cover - but not with - so i would opine that if it was placed in an hermetically sealed glass container and achievable - then it would be pretty convincing

as to video editing - well if it was - it was VERY well done

actually i have an hermetically sealed glass container - humm could be an interesting diversion for an hour or so :? ( and if it does work then i for one will be amazed as i dont have any "psychic " ability , well as far as i know :lol: :lol: )
LIFE - just filling the bits between birth, death and taxes
brett

Postby ProfWag » 15 Aug 2009, 20:45

brett wrote:
ProfWag wrote:

Wag

um - if it is heat causing this - er how does the wheel stop and start ?? - surly if heat was responsible - then the wheel would continue spinning in one direction ??- i have seen this done without the glass cover - but not with - so i would opine that if it was placed in an hermetically sealed glass container and achievable - then it would be pretty convincing

as to video editing - well if it was - it was VERY well done

actually i have an hermetically sealed glass container - humm could be an interesting diversion for an hour or so :? ( and if it does work then i for one will be amazed as i dont have any "psychic " ability , well as far as i know :lol: :lol: )

This should be all that needs to be said (remember, I said to "think heat")
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Psi-Wheel
ProfWag

Postby brett » 15 Aug 2009, 22:13

This should be all that needs to be said (remember, I said to "think heat")

yes as i said i have seen this done - but how pray does the person in the demo generate enough heat from his hands to cause convection currents inside the glass shield ?? - also with the glass shield over the wheel there would be insufficient room for a thermal column to form to rotate the wheel at the speeds shown in the video

- and it would be self cancelling as even IF you could heat the air sufficiently , hot air rises and would be trapped at the top of the container ,gradually lowering the thermal boundary as more hot air was produced , so could not on THAT SCALE , dissipate the heat at the TOP of the glass shield - to allow sufficient cooler air to enter at the bottom ( trough what gap ?? ) and be heated by the guys hands which WHERE SOME WAYS AWAY bear in mind ! to continue the process

AND how pray even IF heat was causing it - do you get the rotation to stop and REVERSE direction ??

this is simple thermodynamics - and i bet if you where to have accurate thermometers at the top and bottom of the glass shield ( as shown ) the temperature would not have sufficient difference to create the required thermal column to rotate the wheel

as i have said i, i have seen this done , in the open air where any heat COULD dissipate - and i also know that there are those little devices that turn in sunlight that are in glass containers ( forgotten the name of them ) - BUT , AS SHOWN ON THE VIDEO - ,i don't know how he does this i will be replicating it as shown and i bet i don't get the thing to move - also i will try it in a hermetically sealed bell type jar - and see what happens - which again i suspect will be nothing **

so there are only 2 solutions - either he is cheating some how - or he can do as he says :?

** have any of you who are questioning this even tried to replicate the setup AS SHOWN ??
- IF IT IS HEAT CAUSED BY YOUR HANDS ,then logically - you should be able to do exactly the same - and if you video it and present it here then i will say - yep you where right - but unless you have actually done some research , and jeez guys this is high school stuff - how can you condemn it ?? ( unless of course alternatively ) you can PROVE the video was doctored and the demo faked

the BEST test would be for the wheel to be placed in a vacuum of course - show me THAT and i for one will be convinced ;)
brett

Postby ProfWag » 15 Aug 2009, 22:34

We cannot prove one way or the other how he did it specifically. The initial post asked how he does it and I was simply trying to show that it doesn't have to be TK, that there are other ways to do it. Could he have had a heat source outside of video range? Yep. Could he have used video editing? Yep. Could he really have TK abilities? Yep. (Though I seriously doubt the latter...)
ProfWag

Postby brett » 15 Aug 2009, 23:53

ProfWag wrote:We cannot prove one way or the other how he did it specifically. The initial post asked how he does it and I was simply trying to show that it doesn't have to be TK, that there are other ways to do it. Could he have had a heat source outside of video range? Yep. Could he have used video editing? Yep. Could he really have TK abilities? Yep. (Though I seriously doubt the latter...)

so why not TRY and replicate it ?? - simple research may provide you with a cast iron answer - that is provable - none of here mind if any skeptic proves us wrong - its just like you we like to see the evidence - i like to see FAKERY debunked as much as any sKeptic - as it contaminates the real - and tars it with the same brush - so eventually - nothing is even considered

but unless people actually do research as opposed to pontificating and leaving it at that ................ ( NOT that i am accusing you of that BTW ) - WE WONT KNOW -one way or another ;)

trust me folks - I get pissed off with believers who wont do basic simple research too - and pronounce that this and that is so - yet ask them to justify and set out the actual physical research they have done - ahhhhhhhhhhh - er um ...............

i have been accused of being a "fence sitter " by some ,( skeptics and believers alike ) - but at times - i seriously don't know WHICH side of the fence to jump down on - as it seems we ALL are as bad as each other ;) - maybe the wise chinese chap** who said " when standing on a fence ,with scorpions on one side and spiders on the other - the wise man stays on the bloody fence :lol: :lol: "

** Mr lau - down our local takeaway :roll:
brett

Postby Scepcop » 16 Aug 2009, 01:51

ProfWag wrote:This should be all that needs to be said (remember, I said to "think heat")

From the site you linked:

Scientists will tell you that the warmth of your hands causes the air on that side of the wheel to heat up; since heat rises, the warm air goes up, creating an upward current that spins the psi wheel. Try getting your hand warmer by cupping your hands on your mouth and blowing, then immediately try to rotate the wheel. Does it work better that way? Try sticking your hand in the freezer, then rotate the wheel. Does it work?

Um, ProfWag, if the psi wheel is covered with a glass bowl, then how does heat from your hand account for it? You're not making sense again and again you are using the "forcing explanations that do not account for the data" tactic again. It's annoying. Explain how this is relevant here.

Do you skeptics have screws loose? Why do you always connect two unrelated things?
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 16 Aug 2009, 01:59

ProfWag wrote:We cannot prove one way or the other how he did it specifically. The initial post asked how he does it and I was simply trying to show that it doesn't have to be TK, that there are other ways to do it. Could he have had a heat source outside of video range? Yep. Could he have used video editing? Yep. Could he really have TK abilities? Yep. (Though I seriously doubt the latter...)

Ok let's presume for a moment that he edited the video. Even if so, and he does something during the process that you don't see, how is he still able to move the wheel with a glass bowl covering it on top? Any explanations?
Scepcop
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussions