View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Do Skeptics Debunk Transcendental Meditation?

Discuss General Topics.

Do Skeptics Debunk Transcendental Meditation?

Postby PsiSearch » 19 Dec 2010, 16:16

I am a critic and a partial fan of Skepdic dot com or www.skepdic.com or either way, lol. But, I see they've got some critical thinking or even some skepticism against Transcendental Meditation (TM) and they title it as "New Age". But, are there any skeptical committee groups or anything of pseudo skepticism against or debunking TM. But, I feel it to be very relaxing (practitioner), although Skepdic doesn't say TM is fake or doesn't work. Only the side effects they have against.

I don't care what any pseudo skeptics say on anything, but I'm just wondering.
PsiSearch
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 27 Nov 2010, 09:23






Re: Do Skeptics Debunk Transcendental Meditation?

Postby ProfWag » 19 Dec 2010, 20:58

PsiSearch wrote:I am a critic and a partial fan of Skepdic dot com or http://www.skepdic.com or either way, lol. But, I see they've got some critical thinking or even some skepticism against Transcendental Meditation (TM) and they title it as "New Age". But, are there any skeptical committee groups or anything of pseudo skepticism against or debunking TM. But, I feel it to be very relaxing (practitioner), although Skepdic doesn't say TM is fake or doesn't work. Only the side effects they have against.

I don't care what any pseudo skeptics say on anything, but I'm just wondering.

If memory serves me correctly, Randi is against TM in that he believes the Maharishi convinced his friend Doug Henning that TM could help cure the disease which ultimately killed him. I'm not convinced, personally, that was true as I believe Henning just quit going to the Doctor after he was told he was incurrable.
Now, this skeptic has a personal story to go along with the topic's question: A few months ago, my wife convinced me to fork over $1,500 to her so she could be taught how to sit quietly on the floor and think to herself (that's the price for the initial 2 sessions to learn TM from a practitioner). Myself, I think I could have taught her that for free, but what do I know? A few months before that, I had to fork over several hundred dollars so she could learn to touch me to make me feel better (reiki--and no, I'm still sore all the time); a few months before that I had to fork over a couple hundred dollars so she could clean out her ass (colon cleansing treatment); a few months before that (early 2009)I had to fork over $60 for a 20 minute Psychic Reading (told her she needed to change jobs--she's retired from the Air Force and doesn't work and was told money was coming her way soon--nothing yet), and most recently, several thousand dollars so she can become a yoga instructor (scheduled for late Spring '11).
What have I learned from all this? Only that this "new age" stuff is rather expensive, that Motrin works better than touch for pain, that sitting quietly and thinking doesn't increase one's sex drive, that cleaning out the ass is uncomfortable and sh!t gets clogged up again as soon as the next meal, that card reading from a well-respected psychic is bullsh!t, and that no matter how much I stretch, warrior poses and downward dogs don't work any better than a treadmills/dumbbells along with a well rounded diet to get in shape.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Do Skeptics Debunk Transcendental Meditation?

Postby Arouet » 19 Dec 2010, 21:38

Wonder how many replies it'll take this time to realise that OP abandoned his thread?
User avatar
Arouet
 
Posts: 2544
Joined: 07 Aug 2010, 03:07

Re: Do Skeptics Debunk Transcendental Meditation?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 19 Dec 2010, 23:30

Oh, give him some time. There are plenty of people out there who don't have the luxury of unlimited personal computer time. The pop in when they have the chance.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Do Skeptics Debunk Transcendental Meditation?

Postby Arouet » 19 Dec 2010, 23:39

NinjaPuppy wrote:Oh, give him some time. There are plenty of people out there who don't have the luxury of unlimited personal computer time. The pop in when they have the chance.


He's started a number of threads now, faced some constructive criticism, doesn't respond to any of them, then a few days later starts a new thread, rinse, repeat...
User avatar
Arouet
 
Posts: 2544
Joined: 07 Aug 2010, 03:07

Re: Do Skeptics Debunk Transcendental Meditation?

Postby really? » 20 Dec 2010, 00:16

Let's not forget yogic flying more like hoppin around like a frog in my opinion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFfQuCGU0ZQ . But what the hey, if you want to spend that much money to learn how to hop and be happy well it's your money and Barnum will be happy to take it. I do recall long ago when TM was new adherents did claim to levitate as we would generally think of it. They often used still photos to prove the claim. Image
really?
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 20:58

Re: Do Skeptics Debunk Transcendental Meditation?

Postby Arouet » 20 Dec 2010, 00:21

Well, there's nothing wrong with yoga or meditation as exercise, relaxation, concentration development - all positive things. I do yoga at my gym, and I feel great afterwards, it builds tone and increases flexibility. I've done some meditation in the past and found it helpful, I'd like to get back to it some day. It's when you go beyond those benefits that the claims become a little less persuasive...
User avatar
Arouet
 
Posts: 2544
Joined: 07 Aug 2010, 03:07

Re: Do Skeptics Debunk Transcendental Meditation?

Postby really? » 20 Dec 2010, 00:34

Arouet wrote:Well, there's nothing wrong with yoga or meditation as exercise, relaxation, concentration development - all positive things. I do yoga at my gym, and I feel great afterwards, it builds tone and increases flexibility. I've done some meditation in the past and found it helpful, I'd like to get back to it some day. It's when you go beyond those benefits that the claims become a little less persuasive...


Nothing wrong indeed with meditation or yoga. I can accomplish the same just by taking my two dogs out for a walk in the forest except for increasing flexibility. There are many ways to accomplish this. But spending exorbitant amounts of money to support someone else's life style or to support a questionable organizations doctrine isn't necessary nor a wise use of your hard earned money.
really?
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 20:58

Re: Do Skeptics Debunk Transcendental Meditation?

Postby Arouet » 20 Dec 2010, 00:41

really? wrote:
Arouet wrote:Well, there's nothing wrong with yoga or meditation as exercise, relaxation, concentration development - all positive things. I do yoga at my gym, and I feel great afterwards, it builds tone and increases flexibility. I've done some meditation in the past and found it helpful, I'd like to get back to it some day. It's when you go beyond those benefits that the claims become a little less persuasive...


Nothing wrong indeed with meditation or yoga. I can accomplish the same just by taking my two dogs out for a walk in the forest except for increasing flexibility. There are many ways to accomplish this. But spending exorbitant amounts of money to support someone else's life style or to support a questionable organizations doctrine isn't necessary nor a wise use of your hard earned money.


agreed
User avatar
Arouet
 
Posts: 2544
Joined: 07 Aug 2010, 03:07

Re: Do Skeptics Debunk Transcendental Meditation?

Postby ProfWag » 20 Dec 2010, 01:02

Arouet wrote:
really? wrote:
Arouet wrote:Well, there's nothing wrong with yoga or meditation as exercise, relaxation, concentration development - all positive things. I do yoga at my gym, and I feel great afterwards, it builds tone and increases flexibility. I've done some meditation in the past and found it helpful, I'd like to get back to it some day. It's when you go beyond those benefits that the claims become a little less persuasive...


Nothing wrong indeed with meditation or yoga. I can accomplish the same just by taking my two dogs out for a walk in the forest except for increasing flexibility. There are many ways to accomplish this. But spending exorbitant amounts of money to support someone else's life style or to support a questionable organizations doctrine isn't necessary nor a wise use of your hard earned money.


agreed

And I agree as well, even if I'm on the wrong end of supporting that lifestyle. Of course, the new age stuff that I've endured with my wife has not been without some great fringe benefits. Examples include secretly flipping the psychic $20 to tell my wife she needed a more active sex life, the never ending pain in my testicles that gets relieved through reiki, the sexy yoga poses, and last, but certainly not least, the hours of quiet I get when the wife's meditating...
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Do Skeptics Debunk Transcendental Meditation?

Postby derrida » 20 Dec 2010, 05:29

1,500 is a lot of money
im not against TM, for me it is another harmless religion.
some people might find comfort in it
derrida
 
Posts: 308
Joined: 08 Oct 2010, 04:29

Re: Do Skeptics Debunk Transcendental Meditation?

Postby jakesteele » 20 Dec 2010, 06:07

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Benson

His book 'The Relaxation Response'
http://books.google.com/books?id=TJDGTP ... &q&f=false

TM works, it's that simple. It's been studied and many experiments have been done on it. The irony is that all TM is mechanically is just one of many, many techniques available. Of course, they say theirs is the best, but so does everyone else. All it is is basic mantra meditation that you can learn how to do in a minute. The book I have linked, 'The Relaxation Response' is a classic in the field. Dr. Herbert Benson studied many different types of meditations and boiled them down to a basic, generic meditation technique.

With TM you end up paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars for something you can buy for under thirty dollars.
Debunkers think all UFO photos are fake,
especially the real ones.
jakesteele
 
Posts: 88
Joined: 29 May 2009, 11:47

Re: Do Skeptics Debunk Transcendental Meditation?

Postby really? » 20 Dec 2010, 07:30

ProfWag wrote:

And I agree as well, even if I'm on the wrong end of supporting that lifestyle. Of course, the new age stuff that I've endured with my wife has not been without some great fringe benefits. Examples include secretly flipping the psychic $20 to tell my wife she needed a more active sex life, the never ending pain in my testicles that gets relieved through reiki, the sexy yoga poses, and last, but certainly not least, the hours of quiet I get when the wife's meditating...


TMI ! :D
really?
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 20:58

Re: Do Skeptics Debunk Transcendental Meditation?

Postby derrida » 20 Dec 2010, 18:28

jakesteele wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Benson

His book 'The Relaxation Response'
http://books.google.com/books?id=TJDGTP ... &q&f=false

TM works, it's that simple. It's been studied and many experiments have been done on it. The irony is that all TM is mechanically is just one of many, many techniques available. Of course, they say theirs is the best, but so does everyone else. All it is is basic mantra meditation that you can learn how to do in a minute. The book I have linked, 'The Relaxation Response' is a classic in the field. Dr. Herbert Benson studied many different types of meditations and boiled them down to a basic, generic meditation technique.

With TM you end up paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars for something you can buy for under thirty dollars.


cool
thanks for sharing
derrida
 
Posts: 308
Joined: 08 Oct 2010, 04:29

Re: Do Skeptics Debunk Transcendental Meditation?

Postby Yrreg » 18 Dec 2012, 13:00

ProfWag wrote:
[...]

And I agree as well, even if I'm on the wrong end of supporting that lifestyle. Of course, the new age stuff that I've endured with my wife has not been without some great fringe benefits. Examples include secretly flipping the psychic $20 to tell my wife she needed a more active sex life, the never ending pain in my testicles that gets relieved through reiki, the sexy yoga poses, and last, but certainly not least, the hours of quiet I get when the wife's meditating...




Are you still around?

"the never ending pain in my testicles that gets relieved through reiki."

Has that pain returned or it is still gone?


Did you see doctors about it, or it is not really troublesome but just an annoyance like a slight* from a kid which does not bother you if you are busy with other things more important or interesting or urgent.

*Slight = light insult like calling you old baldy.



Yrreg
Yrreg
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 10 Oct 2010, 14:06

Next

Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 3 guests

cron