View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Derren Brown - Ideomotor Effect Debunked!

Discuss General Topics.

Re: Derren Brown - Ideomotor Effect Debunked!

Postby really? » 05 Dec 2010, 08:33

derrida wrote:
really? wrote:My two cents after some help
I have no inside information -- this is just my magic background talking.

1) There is no "right spot" -- any spot is correct.

2) There is no 'directing' going on. Sooner or later the rods cross because they can't 'not cross' -- muscle fatigue, random movements... eventually they seem to move on their own. The hard part might be getting the dialogue in before they do. You can do an experiment yourself. Use a similar set of rods (not hard to make at all) and walk around with them while blindfolded. Ask someone to watch you and tell you when they have crossed.

Think of it in those terms and see what you can come up with. Add in that the information in the note wasn't obtained until the guy was already walking around and note the significant edits, especially when the pack is removed and before he starts digging. This is not continuous footage.

The trick takes place on a beach. It's on Youtube look for Penn Teller card trick beach or just click this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RXONfpfwxw

You sparked an idea I hadn't thought of obviously; bury many canisters with the dowsers forged signature so no matter where he stops the rods will have crossed over one or very near one. Something rather similar to a card trick I saw P&T do.
PS look before you leap just to make sure there's water in the pool.

is it the card trick they did on their underwater special where they buried the aces?
really?

Postby derrida » 09 Dec 2010, 14:23

oh yeah.. i have seen that..
i love penn and teller but hate some of the things they do where they share strong magic secrets..
althought i wouldnt hide 52 cards in a beach or elsewhere..
derrida

Postby Craig Browning » 09 Dec 2010, 20:26

derrida wrote:oh yeah.. i have seen that..
i love penn and teller but hate some of the things they do where they share strong magic secrets..
althought i wouldnt hide 52 cards in a beach or elsewhere..

I have very mixed feelings when it comes to these two. I met and kind of gotten to know both of them (at the surface level, mind you) at the shop and again, at a party (Bar B Q) @ Lance Burton's house (was that ever a who's who of magic history... Channing Pollock, Shamada and a pile of other legends gathered in one place... better than any magic convention I've ever gone to :lol: )

Yes, the EXPOSURE ticks me off but most especially (when it comes to this sort of thing) when you find magician-skeptics talking out of both sides of the ass; they see no wrong in exposing methods used by charlatans (many of which are used by working Mentalists) and yet, when they see some kid on YouTube doing the exact same thing, they scream and moan... and god help you if you go on national Tv and tip a multitude of methods... not that I'd know anyone guilty of doing such a thing :roll:

I'll never understand how, because of industry politics, P&T and even Randi get off the hook when it comes to tipping various methods that some entertainers actually depend on when it comes to their livelihood, and others don't. But then the magic industry is a very odd bird.

UP DATE... I've given up on doing the Sloan rant... have too many things happening right now. BUT, after 4 weeks of recovery time, I'm being given a big thumbs up on the health front. :D
Craig Browning

Postby Arouet » 09 Dec 2010, 20:32

Glad to hear it
Arouet

Postby ProfWag » 09 Dec 2010, 23:38

Craig Browning wrote:UP DATE... I've given up on doing the Sloan rant... have too many things happening right now. BUT, after 4 weeks of recovery time, I'm being given a big thumbs up on the health front. :D

Great to hear it Craig! Must've been my wife's Reiki... :-)
ProfWag

Postby derrida » 09 Dec 2010, 23:43

ProfWag wrote:
Craig Browning wrote:UP DATE... I've given up on doing the Sloan rant... have too many things happening right now. BUT, after 4 weeks of recovery time, I'm being given a big thumbs up on the health front. :D

Great to hear it Craig! Must've been my wife's Reiki... :-)

no it wasnt!!i
i take full responsability for creating the thread ¨sending healing thoughts to craig¨
this forum created the positive needed on craig´s submolecular level.. i could start talking about quantum physics but then it would get boring.
derrida

Previous

Return to General Discussions