View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Why Do Conspiracies Have so Much Appeal?

Discuss General Topics.

Re: Why Do Conspiracies Have so Much Appeal?

Postby Craig Browning » 08 Jan 2011, 04:42

Arouet wrote:Bingo! He may be right. He may be wrong. But what he's not doing in that blog post is just "blindly" accepting anything. That was a weird article to attack Shermer for anyway since its pretty light on serious content. Steven Novella did a complementary blog post which goes into much more detail! http://theness.com/neurologicablog/?p=2620 His explanation of the head shot is pretty interesting.

Anti-skeptics like to throw this around a lot: "Blind faith". They portray it as if the skeptics are writing lengthy articles where all they are saying is: the government says this, and I agree with it because its from the government. Even a cursory read of skeptic literature puts the lie to this portrayal.

Himm... kind of like Christians saying, "Just read the bible and you will see the truth"... both groups forget to include the suffix "as we choose to see it."

But what you have in this post is a bigger example of skeptic stepping up to the plate to defend another skeptic by pointing out short-comings, etc. found in an article that expresses views towards one of the Skeptic-cult's heroes or a particular issue of skeptical doubt.

The greater majority of what Skeptics do support echo accepted government approved positions, there are a few exceptions to this but too, there are a few measures of obfuscation on the side of the skeptics when it comes to certain issue such as Global Warming/Climate change; many of your clowns citing the revelations coughed up by researchers CONTRACTED BY BIG OLD or other industries that benefit through fossil fuels like the automotive industry and most electrical power companies in the U.S. and other "modernized" parts of the world.

Blind Faith, just like all this other bunk, has a mid-point that is rarely weighed by believer or cynic alike, but this really isn't an "all or nothing" world. One is a fool to allow blind faith to totally rule their way of life, that's how we end up with "3rd World" nations governed by a priesthood or some other corruption; men (and a few women) driven by greed and a lust for power. But yes, you will even hear genuine and honored scientists use this phrase when doing experiments and research... then again, skeptics tend to forget that most of the greatest human breakthroughs of the past few thousand years have been the result of clergymen and/or their patrons (and of course those of faith the church murdered because they not only challenged church perceptions but echoed older teachings, including gnostic points of view)
Craig Browning

Postby Arouet » 08 Jan 2011, 05:51

Craig Browning wrote:The greater majority of what Skeptics do support echo accepted government approved positions, there are a few exceptions to this but too, there are a few measures of obfuscation on the side of the skeptics when it comes to certain issue such as Global Warming/Climate change; many of your clowns citing the revelations coughed up by researchers CONTRACTED BY BIG OLD or other industries that benefit through fossil fuels like the automotive industry and most electrical power companies in the U.S. and other "modernized" parts of the world.

Craig, the majority of what skeptics discuss don't involve the government at ALL!

Here is the current front page of the JREF General Skepticism and the Paranomal forum. Tell me how many of these topics involve "official" policy?

Is it an ad hominem fallacy to say . . .
VisionFromFeeling - General discussion thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... Last Page)
Sagan’s “extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence” is nonsense. Here’s why ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... Last Page)
Holistic healing for pets
Hypnosis: All woo? ( 1 2 )
John Edward - psychic or what? ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 )
Billy Meier Witnesses
Romanian Witches Scare Politicians
"Power Balance" bracelets offer refunds & admit no proof of claims
StopSylvia: Odd email
Why are spooks, bigfoot, UFO'S etc.
If ghosts are hallucinations, why are mostly people seen?
Sylvia Browne offers to "help" Ani Ashekian's family, missing since 2008
Pythons marry in Cambodia
Continuation - The PG Film - Bob Heironimus and Patty ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... Last Page)
Our Lady of Fatima/Miracle of the Sun as close encounter and UFO sighting ( 1 2 )
Bigfoot Cast Collection Appears On Website ( 1 2 3 )
stored echoes
Two new Power Balance tests from skeptics ( 1 2 )
SSB Email: Tulsa show cancelled?
Merged: Bem's latest experiments / Researcher says we can see the future ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 )
Carol Everett
Invisible Bigfoot Image Captured!
Woo sightings
Ad Hominem Attacks - Can anyone Justify them? ( 1 2 )
Moderated: UFOs: The Research, the Evidence ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... Last Page)
Anti-fluoride faucet filters
Robert Krulwich on people being influenced by their own future
New expose of Scientology in works...
More than usually insane homeopath.

Here are the show notes from some recent Skeptics Guide to the Universe podcasts:

Episode: 284:
News Items: Arsenic-Based Life, Buttology, V-Steam, Singing Mice, The Real daVinci Code
Who's That Noisy
Special Report: Power Bands with James Randi and the SkepticBros
Science or Fiction

Episode: 283
Interview with Dan Gardner
News Items: Piltdown Anniversary, Hydrogen Production, Voyager Leaves Solar System, Slushball Earth
Who's That Noisy
Your Questions and E-mails: Alien Plants vs Animals
Science or Fiction

Here are the topics for a bunch of recent Skepticality podcasts:

11/29/2010 Skepticality #144 - Inside Consumer Reports - Guest: Robert Tiernan, managing editor Consumer Reports magazine Download 11/15/2010 Skepticality #143 - The Nature of Existence - Guest: Roger Nygard Download 11/01/2010 Skepticality #142 - Anarchy Evolution - Guest: Dr. Greg Graffin Download 10/25/2010 Skepticality #141 - The Amazing Story of Quantum Mechanics - Guest: Professor James Kakalios Download 10/11/2010 Skepticality #140 - The Earth Moves - Guest: Dan Hofstadter Download 09/20/2010 Skepticality #139 - The Calculus Diaries - Guest: Jennifer Ouellette Download 09/11/2010 Skepticality #138 - The Universe Verse - Guest: James Lu Dunbar Download 08/23/2010 Skepticality #137 - Packing for Mars - Interview: Mary Roach Download 08/09/2010 Skepticality #136 - Voodoo History - Guest: David Aaronovitch Download 07/21/2010 Skepticality #135 - Team Skeptic TAM 8 Round Table - Guests: Daniel Loxton, Blake Smith, Tim Farley Download 06/28/2010 Skepticality #134 - The Price of Altruism - Guest: Oren Harman Download 06/16/2010 Skepticality #133 - The Arts and Sciences - Guests: George Hrab and Scott Sigler Download 06/16/2010 George Hrab's Trebuchet (Full Album) Download 06/14/2010 Skepticality #132 - Decoding the Language of God - Interview: Dr. George C. Cunningham Download 05/24/2010 Skepticality #131 - The Science of the Unscientific - Guest: Jim Ottaviani Download 05/10/2010 Skepticality #130 - The Sound of Science! - Interview: Artichoke's Timothy Sellers and Steve Collins. Download 05/03/2010 Skepticality #129 - In the Land of Believers - Guest: Gina Welch Download 04/26/2010 Skepticality #128 - Young Science Podcasters - Interviews: Princess Scientist and Aaron from Aaron's World Download 04/19/2010 Skepticality #127 - Skepticism Through Manga - Guest: Sara E. Mayhew Download 04/12/2010 Skepticality #126 - Race and Reality - Guest: Guy P. Harrison Download 03/29/2010 Skepticality #125 - The Animal Manifesto - Guest: Dr. Marc Bekoff Download 03/15/2010 Skepticality #124 - Church and State Update 2010 - Interview: Sean Faircloth, Secular Coalition for America Download 03/01/2010 Skepticality #123 - Imagine Science - Guest: Alexis Gambis Download 02/16/2010 Skepticality #122 - In With The New - Guest: D.J. Grothe Download 02/08/2010 Skepticality #121 - Astronomy Overload Hour - Guest: Dr. Phil Plait, The Bad Astronomer Download 01/25/2010 Skepticality #120 - Evolution of Jr. Skeptic - Guests: Pat Linse and Daniel Loxton Download 01/04/2010 Skepticality #119 - Worlds of Their Own - Guest: Lois Schadewald Download 12/21/2009 Skepticality #118 - The Santa Situation- Guests: Heidi and Hollis Anderson Download

How many reflect the "official government agenda"?

Sure you've got the conspiracy therories, and the global warming talk: but frankly, that's not the biggest focus of skeptics. Mostly we focus on scientific topics and the evidence supporting them. As far as I know there is absolutely no official policy on parapsychology or psi in general.

This whole thing that skeptics just "blindly" support the establishment is a myth and its time to start really calling you guys out on this because its frustrating to see the claim laid over and over again.
Arouet

Postby ProfWag » 08 Jan 2011, 06:21

Craig Browning wrote:
But what you have in this post is a bigger example of skeptic stepping up to the plate to defend another skeptic by pointing out short-comings, etc. found in an article that expresses views towards one of the Skeptic-cult's heroes or a particular issue of skeptical doubt.

And this appears to be an even bigger example of someone wanting bash the Shermer's and the Randi's. All I got out of your post was that you think we skeptics always support Shermer or Randi. For the "umpteenth" time, I don't support anyone. I look at evidence and make my own conclusions. If my own conclusions happen to agree with most of what Shermer or Randi believe, then there's probably a reason for that which is we agree that evidence to support this or that just isn't there. I am personally aware of at least 10 times in this forum I've been asked to show an example of where Shermer or Randi "went against the establishment." My answer is usually "why do I care?" I don't. I like to think I'm an independent thinker (contrary to what many "believers" believe). I don't need Shermer, Randi, or anyone else telling me what to think. I certainly don't need you, Scepcop, or anyone else on this forum doing it either (hopefully, no offense to anyone). I wish now I had not made a post pointing out the obvious that Shermer and Randi are atheists whilst the government is most definitely religious based, regardless of how deep that religion really flows. Talk about going against the establishment...Sheesh.
ProfWag

Postby Arouet » 25 Oct 2011, 03:31

Ok, do the spammers now have automatic post generating prorgams as well?
Arouet

Postby NinjaPuppy » 25 Oct 2011, 20:01

Arouet wrote:Ok, do the spammers now have automatic post generating prorgams as well?

Yes, but it's obviously still done by a human as this system is supposed to be bot proof.
NinjaPuppy

Postby jacksdosen » 07 Feb 2012, 23:35

This is unsurprising. Abounding atheists (myself included) appear to atheism through analytical cerebration (I became an agnostic abounding abounding years afore I'd anytime heard of organised scepticism). Orthodox anaesthetic is based on the accurate method, which is the apotheosis of analytical thinking. I accept no botheration with another aesthetic - so continued as it can bear able accurate exploration.
jacksdosen

Postby August West » 11 Mar 2012, 09:27

I'm responding to the original poster here: He asks "What is it that draws 'conspiracy mongers' to 911?

This is a very stupid question with a very easy answer.

911 was a conspiracy. That's why. Even the "official" story is a conspiracy theory. People plotted and conspired together in secret to make these events happen. That is a conspiracy.
August West

Postby ProfWag » 13 Mar 2012, 02:37

August West wrote:I'm responding to the original poster here: He asks "What is it that draws 'conspiracy mongers' to 911?

This is a very stupid question with a very easy answer.

911 was a conspiracy. That's why. Even the "official" story is a conspiracy theory. People plotted and conspired together in secret to make these events happen. That is a conspiracy.

Well that settles it then--9/11 was a consiracy! August West just said so and no other evidence is necessary.
ProfWag

Postby August West » 14 Mar 2012, 05:48

Yes, wag, that is the fact of the matter, 911 was a conspiracy. Do you, wag, actually think otherwise?

LOL I for one would LOVE to hear your theory on 911 that didn't involve a conspiracy.

In fact, I've never even heard anyone anywhere EVER say that 911 was not a conspiracy! Are you going to be the first, wag?

I can't even imagine what scenario wag could come up with where 911 was NOT a conspiracy....let's see...19 Saudis, Kuwaitis, etc. just by ACCIDENT happen to be boarding four airplanes in Boston very early one morning...LOL...then, sometime during those four flights, the group of arabs on EACH plane are suddenly stuck with the independent idea to fly their plane into important buildings in New York and Washington D.C.....why in fact, on TWO of those planes, they each decide to hit one of the Twin Towers of the world trade center! What a coincidence! What are the odds?!?

So please, wag, tell us all how 911 was not a conspiracy! I'm all ears...
August West

Postby Arouet » 14 Mar 2012, 08:41

AW is correct. Course he's just being a pedantic nit. But he's technically correct.
Arouet

Postby August West » 19 Mar 2012, 00:49

Troll-in-residence Arouet is correct when he says I am correct.

I didn't think anyone could argue with the fact that 911 was a conspiracy, no matter who you believe the conspirators to be.

Guess I over-estimated "professor" wag!
August West

Postby ProfWag » 20 Mar 2012, 07:17

August West wrote:Troll-in-residence Arouet is correct when he says I am correct.

I didn't think anyone could argue with the fact that 911 was a conspiracy, no matter who you believe the conspirators to be.

Guess I over-estimated "professor" wag!

Yea, okay. I'm not normally in that frame of mind in here, but yes, technically it was a conspiracy.
ProfWag

Postby Suncross74 » 21 Mar 2012, 06:27

August West wrote:Troll-in-residence Arouet is correct when he says I am correct.

Arouet is not a troll. He may be damned stubborn at times, but he's not a troll. Who is the one who makes useless posts basically mocking paranormal research that is of no use to anyone? Ironic irony is ironic.

-Suncross74
Suncross74

Postby August West » 23 Mar 2012, 07:26

Arouet is a troll, albeit an exceptionally boring one.

Your post was poorly worded, I'm not sure if you were trying to accuse me of mocking paranormal research.
If that was your intent, you're pretty far off the mark, I'm deeply involved in certain fields of paranormal research.
August West

Postby ProfWag » 23 Mar 2012, 20:42

August West wrote:Arouet is a troll, albeit an exceptionally boring one.

Your post was poorly worded, I'm not sure if you were trying to accuse me of mocking paranormal research.
If that was your intent, you're pretty far off the mark, I'm deeply involved in certain fields of paranormal research.

Then why not share some of your knowledge and research?
ProfWag

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions