View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Why Do Conspiracies Have so Much Appeal?

Discuss General Topics.

Re: Why Do Conspiracies Have so Much Appeal?

Postby ProfWag » 07 Jul 2010, 02:40

Indigo Child wrote:You have never heard of the theory that Al Qaeda is a CIA creation before?

By the way what are you trying to prove by showing me an excerpt from Osama Bin Laden on
how it was formed? That it is not a CIA creation, because he says something else lol

Have I ever heard that theory? Uhhhhhhhh, no. I'm afraid I have to respond to that with a question. Where did you hear that al Qaeda is a CIA creation? Even if you don't answer, I'm pretty confident that OBL discussing its formation is probably closer to the truth than from wherever you heard the CIA created it. That's preposterous.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54






Re: Why Do Conspiracies Have so Much Appeal?

Postby Indigo Child » 07 Jul 2010, 03:46

I think what I find preposterous is your claim to being a critical thinker ;)

Click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mztfFdpd1Rk
Indigo Child
 
Posts: 327
Joined: 22 May 2009, 08:01

Re: Why Do Conspiracies Have so Much Appeal?

Postby ProfWag » 07 Jul 2010, 04:38

Indigo Child wrote:I think what I find preposterous is your claim to being a critical thinker ;)

Click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mztfFdpd1Rk

And yet, you post a youtube video as evidence of something and claim to be a critical thinker. Hmpf. Doesn't pass my thought process, but to each his own.
By the way, I didn't and won't watch the video. Watching videos is not something I make a habit of in this forum. If there's any written evidence, I'll be happy to read it. (And before you go throwing out those Uri videos I posted, it was in response to you wanting evidence that he has cheated and that was the best way. Still, you refused to believe that so that tells you how strong youtube videos are in support of evidence.)
I might also add that there is evidence that the CIA helped al Qaeda during the Russian/Afghan War in the late '80s, if that's what your video evidence suggests.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Why Do Conspiracies Have so Much Appeal?

Postby Indigo Child » 07 Jul 2010, 05:56

Not reviewing evidence is not science.

You don't do science, you do rhethoric. It makes no difference how evidence
is presented: it can be documented, it can be visual, audio.

I always review evidence no matter what the source. You do not, you quibble
over meanings of terms, set up double standards, or attack the source.

Look it is clear to all of us honest people. You don't care about evidence. Your
sole aim is to deny the paranormal or conspiracy or anything which goes against
the status quo. You worship authority.
Indigo Child
 
Posts: 327
Joined: 22 May 2009, 08:01

Re: Why Do Conspiracies Have so Much Appeal?

Postby ProfWag » 07 Jul 2010, 06:04

Indigo Child wrote:Not reviewing evidence is not science.

You don't do science, you do rhethoric. It makes no difference how evidence
is presented: it can be documented, it can be visual, audio.

I always review evidence no matter what the source. You do not, you quibble
over meanings of terms, set up double standards, or attack the source.

Look it is clear to all of us honest people. You don't care about evidence. Your
sole aim is to deny the paranormal or conspiracy or anything which goes against
the status quo. You worship authority.

I worship you Indigo Child...
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Why Do Conspiracies Have so Much Appeal?

Postby really? » 08 Jul 2010, 05:27

Indigo Child wrote:Not reviewing evidence is not science.

You don't do science, you do rhethoric. It makes no difference how evidence
is presented: it can be documented, it can be visual, audio.

I always review evidence no matter what the source. You do not, you quibble
over meanings of terms, set up double standards, or attack the source.

Look it is clear to all of us honest people. You don't care about evidence. Your
sole aim is to deny the paranormal or conspiracy or anything which goes against
the status quo. You worship authority.



Wizard of Oz: [speaking in a booming voice into microphone] I am the great and powerful...
[then, realizing that it is useless to continue his masquerade, moves away from microphone, speaks in a normal voice]
Wizard of Oz: ... Wizard of Oz.

You are not the paragon of that which you claim. You are not the standard to which I or anyone should aspire. All see the not so great and powerful wizard of Oz.
really?
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 20:58

Re: Why Do Conspiracies Have so Much Appeal?

Postby Indigo Child » 08 Jul 2010, 12:56

I think it is pretty reasonabe that if somebody asks for evidence, and
you produce it, that they review it.

I have shown mysef to be very consistent in reviewing evidence when
skeptics provide skeptic web sites or biased web sites. I have never dec-
lined any evidence or denied evidence. I will always engage it.

I do think this will be a healthy habit for you guys to develop, and it will
lead to more productive discussions between us.
Indigo Child
 
Posts: 327
Joined: 22 May 2009, 08:01

Re: Why Do Conspiracies Have so Much Appeal?

Postby Craig Browning » 08 Jul 2010, 21:42

Indigo Child wrote:I think it is pretty reasonabe that if somebody asks for evidence, and
you produce it, that they review it.

I have shown mysef to be very consistent in reviewing evidence when
skeptics provide skeptic web sites or biased web sites. I have never dec-
lined any evidence or denied evidence. I will always engage it.

I do think this will be a healthy habit for you guys to develop, and it will
lead to more productive discussions between us.



Two things here... firstly, this is one of the funniest threads I've read here in a long time :lol:

Secondly (to Indigo Child), you are dealing with skeptics who prefer looking at the forest instead of the trees, if you get my gist. As far as "they" are concerned there is only a specific handful of "valid" sources out there and everything else is pseudo-science and if it goes contrary to what they want to support, it comes from crack-pots... even in the handful of instances in which those "crack-pots" are highly noted researchers. They will explain such things away by suggesting that said individual simply isn't looking at thing "right"... ironically, the majority of those claiming such things haven't the degrees upon which to substantiate such accusations.

In short... you're really barking up the wrong tree here... that pesky raccoon isn't going to get down out of this particular tree unless hell itself freezes and even then, it's doubtful. ;)
User avatar
Craig Browning
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 05:20
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: Why Do Conspiracies Have so Much Appeal?

Postby really? » 08 Jul 2010, 22:39

Craig Browning wrote:
Indigo Child wrote:I think it is pretty reasonabe that if somebody asks for evidence, and
you produce it, that they review it.

I have shown mysef to be very consistent in reviewing evidence when
skeptics provide skeptic web sites or biased web sites. I have never dec-
lined any evidence or denied evidence. I will always engage it.

I do think this will be a healthy habit for you guys to develop, and it will
lead to more productive discussions between us.



Two things here... firstly, this is one of the funniest threads I've read here in a long time :lol:

Secondly (to Indigo Child), you are dealing with skeptics who prefer looking at the forest instead of the trees, if you get my gist. As far as "they" are concerned there is only a specific handful of "valid" sources out there and everything else is pseudo-science and if it goes contrary to what they want to support, it comes from crack-pots... even in the handful of instances in which those "crack-pots" are highly noted researchers. They will explain such things away by suggesting that said individual simply isn't looking at thing "right"... ironically, the majority of those claiming such things haven't the degrees upon which to substantiate such accusations.

In short... you're really barking up the wrong tree here... that pesky raccoon isn't going to get down out of this particular tree unless hell itself freezes and even then, it's doubtful. ;)


Since it's so blatantly obvious then why in the hell can any of you prove anything. If other disciplines were as murky as the study and confirmation of the paranormal we'd still be huddle in the dark of prehistory like our remote ancestors. Today these disciplines tackle far more complicated heady questions than any put forth by paranormal researchers. It's good to look at individual trees but now and then you also have to step back and look at the forest to see that the forest isn't in very good condition.
really?
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 20:58

Re: Why Do Conspiracies Have so Much Appeal?

Postby Craig Browning » 09 Jul 2010, 22:52

Since it's so blatantly obvious then why in the hell can any of you prove anything. If other disciplines were as murky as the study and confirmation of the paranormal we'd still be huddle in the dark of prehistory like our remote ancestors. Today these disciplines tackle far more complicated heady questions than any put forth by paranormal researchers. It's good to look at individual trees but now and then you also have to step back and look at the forest to see that the forest isn't in very good condition.


I love that first line... it IS one of the stock lines (a Barnum statement, if you would) the majority of cynics toss out there when someone challenges their integrity. What they miss, as least in what I'm saying, isn't a devaluation of the scientific method but rather the fickleness of the "skeptic". Kind of like Republicans not buying climate issues because the scientists owned by the oil, coal and chemical companies say there's no problem... a view that is markedly contrary to what researchers free of corporate and industry based controls have revealed... it really makes me feel at times that we're on Krypton...

Oh! And yes, the trees are in poor condition... some would argue that it's because humankind has forgotten to honor its mother in exchange for "progress". While I do agree to some level I also believe that we can comfortably marry technology with a more natural mode of existence; we've just got to get out of that more commercial frame of mind in which we are trying to out do the neighbors.... or the Kardasheans or whomever it might be :|
User avatar
Craig Browning
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 05:20
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: Why Do Conspiracies Have so Much Appeal?

Postby really? » 10 Jul 2010, 02:27

Craig Browning wrote:
Since it's so blatantly obvious then why in the hell can any of you prove anything. If other disciplines were as murky as the study and confirmation of the paranormal we'd still be huddle in the dark of prehistory like our remote ancestors. Today these disciplines tackle far more complicated heady questions than any put forth by paranormal researchers. It's good to look at individual trees but now and then you also have to step back and look at the forest to see that the forest isn't in very good condition.


I love that first line... it IS one of the stock lines (a Barnum statement, if you would) the majority of cynics toss out there when someone challenges their integrity. What they miss, as least in what I'm saying, isn't a devaluation of the scientific method but rather the fickleness of the "skeptic". Kind of like Republicans not buying climate issues because the scientists owned by the oil, coal and chemical companies say there's no problem... a view that is markedly contrary to what researchers free of corporate and industry based controls have revealed... it really makes me feel at times that we're on Krypton...

Oh! And yes, the trees are in poor condition... some would argue that it's because humankind has forgotten to honor its mother in exchange for "progress". While I do agree to some level I also believe that we can comfortably marry technology with a more natural mode of existence; we've just got to get out of that more commercial frame of mind in which we are trying to out do the neighbors.... or the Kardasheans or whomever it might be :|


Excuses, excuses, either you can show compelling evidences for what you claim is true or you can't. It's not that hard.
really?
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 20:58

Re: Why Do Conspiracies Have so Much Appeal?

Postby Craig Browning » 10 Jul 2010, 21:53

Again, a stock reply and more importantly a dodge and parry maneuver... you've learned the game well.

Without exception, every time throughout history, "Proof" is brought about the cynic not only denies it, but will go out of its way to discredit said proofs... they've even been caught red-handed changing research data if and when it supports the claims of the Psychic or whatever, rather than humbling themselves honorably and admitting that "more" exist around the issue than they originally believed or considered. Many noted scientists have done exactly that and were met with the sort of political stigma and gossip I mentioned above -- the skeptics going out of their way to "prove" that person to be a fraud or whack-job... even when they applauded his previous contributions to physics, chemistry or whatever their specialty might have been. This is a fact that can be seen time and again via news stories as well as various posts of gloating scattered about the net.

As I've stated before, I no longer jump through hoops for bullies... I'm not a circus animal or a pooch that does tricks on command.
User avatar
Craig Browning
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 05:20
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: Why Do Conspiracies Have so Much Appeal?

Postby really? » 10 Jul 2010, 23:20

Craig Browning wrote:Again, a stock reply and more importantly a dodge and parry maneuver... you've learned the game well.

Without exception, every time throughout history, "Proof" is brought about the cynic not only denies it, but will go out of its way to discredit said proofs... they've even been caught red-handed changing research data if and when it supports the claims of the Psychic or whatever, rather than humbling themselves honorably and admitting that "more" exist around the issue than they originally believed or considered. Many noted scientists have done exactly that and were met with the sort of political stigma and gossip I mentioned above -- the skeptics going out of their way to "prove" that person to be a fraud or whack-job... even when they applauded his previous contributions to physics, chemistry or whatever their specialty might have been. This is a fact that can be seen time and again via news stories as well as various posts of gloating scattered about the net.

As I've stated before, I no longer jump through hoops for bullies... I'm not a circus animal or a pooch that does tricks on command.


On the chance of sounding boorish I'll reiterate what I said previously :
Excuses, excuses, either you can show compelling evidences for what you claim is true or you can't. It's not that hard.
I'm glad you stopped jumping through hoops; a man of your age could hurt himself.
really?
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 20:58

Re: Why Do Conspiracies Have so Much Appeal?

Postby Craig Browning » 11 Jul 2010, 23:18

:lol: It is even harder these days in that the wheelchairs haven't enough power to make the jump ;)
User avatar
Craig Browning
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 05:20
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: Why Do Conspiracies Have so Much Appeal?

Postby Scepcop » 30 Jul 2010, 03:41

Perhaps an equally valid question is:

Why do some people have a psychological block against conspiracies and cannot even think about them or assess them at all?

It does seem that some people have a need to believe in conspiracies and see them quickly while connecting dots, while others have a psychological block and never see them anywhere. There are highly intelligent people on both sides.

The ones with a block will never consider a conspiracy, and if you show them evidence or give them a great film to watch that shows a lot of evidence, they will simply not be interested and make excuses to get out of assessing it. I know some of these people. When you give them evidence of a conspiracy at work, they don't assess it or tell you what they think, they simply say "This subject just doesn't interest me" and conveniently avoid it. I don't see why. Mysteries and puzzles are always fascinating to me. But some just tune it out, even if they don't ridicule it, they always find an excuse to not pay any attention to it, or they act like they have zero interest in even pondering the subject at all. Some of these people are very intelligent and deep in other areas, but when conspiracies come up, there is some block in them.

Why is that I wonder?
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
User avatar
Scepcop
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: 16 May 2009, 07:29

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests