View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Dunno if this is paranormal or not...

Discuss General Topics.

Re: Dunno if this is paranormal or not...

Postby ciscop » 10 May 2010, 23:12

i heard heath ledger was great performing that ilusion

For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby Craig Browning » 11 May 2010, 02:30

You're right Craig, replicating something doesn't necessarily mean it's been explained, but it does suggest that the proper protocols for a paranormal event wasn't fulfilled. If someone were to do something that couldn't be done by a "trick," then we'd be on to something.

There's a major problem with this line of thought though given that it is my job as a magician/illusion technician to take the impossible and make it tangible... so to speak.

I can't count the number of sessions I've been in where we would brain storm on a concept around an effect that's not been done in the past... at least not under certain specific conditions. A few of us were able to pull approaches from out of the blue, on the cuff as it were. But if you gave us a week or two to play with the idea we could probably build a decent prototype. The point being, this is our job, to make the surreal, real... it's kind of why they call what we end up delivering "Magic" :mrgreen:
Craig Browning

Postby ProfWag » 11 May 2010, 03:47

Craig Browning wrote:
You're right Craig, replicating something doesn't necessarily mean it's been explained, but it does suggest that the proper protocols for a paranormal event wasn't fulfilled. If someone were to do something that couldn't be done by a "trick," then we'd be on to something.

There's a major problem with this line of thought though given that it is my job as a magician/illusion technician to take the impossible and make it tangible... so to speak.

I can't count the number of sessions I've been in where we would brain storm on a concept around an effect that's not been done in the past... at least not under certain specific conditions. A few of us were able to pull approaches from out of the blue, on the cuff as it were. But if you gave us a week or two to play with the idea we could probably build a decent prototype. The point being, this is our job, to make the surreal, real... it's kind of why they call what we end up delivering "Magic" :mrgreen:

I used to be a magician myself and understand what you're saying. The "trick" (if you'll pardon the pun) is to come up with something new that doesn't rely on the basic 5 principle methods (illusions) or one of the handful of other methods parlor/close-up/mnd-reading.
Again though, if someone could do something paranormal, setting up a valid experiment wouldn't be that difficult.
ProfWag

Postby Eteponge » 11 May 2010, 19:40

ciscop wrote:i heard heath ledger was great performing that ilusion

"I think Eteponge's Blog is a pretty cool guy. eh debates Skeptics and doesnt afraid of anything."
Eteponge

Postby ciscop » 14 May 2010, 15:36

Eteponge wrote:
ciscop wrote:i heard heath ledger was great performing that ilusion

awesome cartoon eteponge
thanks for sharing
:D
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby Craig Browning » 15 May 2010, 09:38

ciscop wrote:not sure it is even possible to put a chopstick thru wood

anyway.. being fake or not
i like it
is pretty cool

I've seen a single piece of straw embedded into a tree once, following a tornado. I guess there's reports of the same thing happening with bricks too.
Craig Browning

Previous

Return to General Discussions