View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

25% of American adults believe in astrology

Discuss General Topics.

25% of American adults believe in astrology

Postby Nostradamus » 02 Apr 2010, 11:58

From http://news.yahoo.com/s/pew/20100329/ts_pew/25readingthestars_1

One-in-four American adults (25% of the public overall) believe in astrology, including about the same proportion (23%) of Christians. Though the U.S. is an overwhelmingly Christian country, a Pew Forum survey finds that significant minorities profess belief in a variety of Eastern or New Age beliefs. For instance, 24% of the public overall and 22% of Christians say they believe in reincarnation -- that people will be reborn in this world again and again.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Re: 25% of American adults believe in astrology

Postby Craig Browning » 02 Apr 2010, 21:21

I think the numbers are off just a bit with that poll but as with all such data collecting, it depends on who participates and the number of participants. My reason for bringing this up centers on the Reincarnation numbers which I think would be slightly higher given that elements of Judaism, Christianity and the majority of other world religions host some inference to this idea; it was a key part of early Christian teachings (outside the Orthodoxy) until it was deliberately removed and suppressed in the mid-5th century but even into the 17th century there are tales of people literally writing out IOU type agreements pertaining to the next incarnation :lol:

The Christian influence on this particular pole might be a bit high however in that the majority of Christians I know, go out of their way to negate such thinking UNLESS they come from one of the more New Age/Gnostic foundations like Christian Science/Science of Mind, Course of Miracles, etc. But when you get into some of the more "literalist" modes of christianity like baptist and certain methodist branches, you will find them hot on fire against such heresy. It's a one way ticket to heaven or hell in their book... an idea borrowed way back in the 5th century (imagine that) from Zoroastrianism (the first to preach such dogma), it was after all, more profitable to scare the literal hell out of your patrons when they could simply change their ways later, in the next life rather than dealing with the selling of their souls in the here and now :shock:

For many years I was a bit wishy-washy about the reincarnation idea until I came into a very unusual set of circumstances about 15 or so years ago; circumstances that lent me a stint as Mr. Mom to three awesome kids but related encounters that blew my mind.

I can't go into details because people's lives are literally at stake, let's just say that I witnessed more than enough "identification" between people within this particular group (a very large and old "Wiccan" contingent with very ancient roots) and later, with some non-pagans, to more than sustain the idea that there was something to it. Which of course, co-signed my experiences in long gone years (when I was 3-5 years in age) and I remembered people from previous life-times... and told them so! (something that made my very baptist, hillbilly parents quite uncomfortable).

Recently I've been reading my friend John St. Germain's book on Karmic Palmistry which has reawakened my interest in this field, much of my prior study coming via Manly P. Hall and the Los Angeles Philosophic Research Society (an awesome place if ever you get to L.A. and get the chance to visit it... it's on Los Feliz Blvd near Griffith Park and has one of the most extensive libraries on books dealing with world religion, free masonry, and the esoteric you're likely to ever find). In the book John points out how, towards the end of the first trimester, the primary lines of the hand are formed in the palm, this is well before the hand is flexing, just as the fingers are taking shape as well as key parts of the brain which form simultaneously, inferring some kind of connection between the two. The belief shared by students of palmistry, is that this particular discovery sustains the long held belief that the karmic aspects of one's life, good & bad, are literally imprinted on us prior to birth.

As a Metaphysician & Psychic practitioner I've held to this theory, even expanding upon it so as to reveal how Astrology and Numerology are likewise part of this Cosmic Software that (metaphorically speaking) programs our lives. This is not to say that everything is carved into stone, that's a huge misnomer; we always have freedom of choice and if we are to accept what mystics have said for eons about our plotting out our life paths between incarnations so as to bring previous karma into balance and learn the lessons needed for soul advancement... well, we create many tangents or forks in the road these maps hold for us. There is one main current and in some very limited instances if we must be somewhere at a given time or learn a specific something, it will happen... there is no avoiding it altogether; it's part of the agreement we made prior to conception.

Of all the theological points I've studied over the years Reincarnation really does shine as being "the law of necessity" -- it is the more logical and practical way of explaining the world, life and circumstances both, positive & negative. The whole God & Devil scenario is quite unreal by its nature even though it allows us to see the Yin & Yang facets of life and how one cannot exist without the other. Unfortunately, there are those deluded souls that believe to the contrary, failing to comprehend the fact that Nirvana/the Grail is an unobtainable goal we are destined to pursue in order to grow and evolve. My friend Jonathon explains this late in the pages of his story as he's teaching the younger gulls about perfection... ;)
Craig Browning

Postby ProfWag » 02 Apr 2010, 23:01

Craig, I apologize if this comes across as rude, but is there anything that you haven't done, witnessed, experienced, or have knowledge of?
Metaphorically speaking, there's an old saying that if Howard Cosell had lunch with everyone he said he did, he would have weighed 500 lbs.
ProfWag

Postby Craig Browning » 03 Apr 2010, 03:36

ProfWag wrote:Craig, I apologize if this comes across as rude, but is there anything that you haven't done, witnessed, experienced, or have knowledge of?
Metaphorically speaking, there's an old saying that if Howard Cosell had lunch with everyone he said he did, he would have weighed 500 lbs.

:lol: I was wondering how long it would take someone to drop that one on me :lol:

I've lived a very (VERY) unique life but here's a Reader's Digest blurb;

I was born on the cusps of Virgo & Libra...quite literally an Equinox child to a mother who's father studied & corresponded with occult legend Alister Crowley but who's great grandmother was the half-breed daughter of a local Cherokee shaman (great grandmother on her mother's side... a butch of Dutch Irish & Indian odd balls, trust me!) Her father wasn't just a student of the occult, he was a Spiritualist and after being chased off the mountain by my great grandfather, he more or less made his living working carnivals/circuses and doing Readings/Seance work.

My father's side of the family was headed up by a Mule-Skinner/Circuit Preacher... the sort that charmed snakes and drank poison and in general, was a total ass (according to regional lore). His "Ex" wife, my biological grandmother, married a gent named Taylor who was renown throughout most of western Virgina and eastern West Virginia for his work as a dowser; not just sweet water but coal veins and a bit of treasure here and there. One legend about Taylor is that he was dowsing for families of Civil War soldiers, finding their remains at various battle fields. Regardless, most of his finds are still producing some 85-90 years after the fact.

Now an important point of trivia comes into the game here... most folks understand that a Father's name would be the last name of his children e.g. my last name is in fact Browning just as was my dads, his dad's, etc.... however, it is also the last name of my mother's grandfather... :o So yes, My mom and Dad are my 3rd cousins as my brother is my 4th cousin... you don't get much more hill billy than that. ;)

Now my dad's mother was half Shawnee Indian and from what I understand, half French. Once she married Taylor she took up doing lots of Reading type work from out of her Spamalamadingdong along side midwifery and healing type work as was common in that era. Based on some of the remedies I was given as a kid I know it was merely the taste and over-all horror of dealing with such things that kept one healthy... :?

It just so happens that I was born a few years prior to the passing of my mother's great grandmother, so she was still around when my first birthday came around and as it's been explained to me, she gave me a traditional native dedication to the sun & moon, etc. and named my original totems (which I choose not to share), this however, is the first bit of mysticism from within the family that has anything to do with me directly.

In around 3/4 years old I went through several "situations" that seem to have imprinted themselves onto me; falling in love with stage magic & puppetry being one of the more pronounced elements, discovering that I really liked boys far more than girls (I'm not kidding I was getting caught with my pants down frequently in those days :oops: ) and then there was the spiritual side of things which gets very weird...
...I had a sister that was roughly 18 months old during this time, who had been born with a perforated heart, something not easily remedied in those days. Yet, to this day my mother and father both swear they saw the ghost of my dad's dad at her crib side at night along with that of my great, great grandmother Tilly (the shaman's daughter). I was also during this time that I first started blurting out things I simply knew about people when I met them or simply saw them and "karmically" recognized them form some previous life-time... too, I would get my mother upset several times following this period, playing with Carla and talking about it... given that she had died a weak prior to my 4th birthday and my interaction with her was in around Christmas or the following Easter... I still have situations in which I know Carla is under foot.

As I believe I've shared, much of this sort of stuff was deliberately suppressed, sometimes in rather firm (painful) ways. But then there was the process of on-going (intensive) religious rhetoric at least twice on Sunday, once on Wednesday night and every night of any Revival, Summer Bible Schools, etc. (and yet, they wonder why I ended up so bitter towards the church :roll: )

Honestly, the psychic stuff saw a lull for a while but came back with a heated vengeance as I hit puberty... as did my sexual curiosities, both of which I'd learned to hide; not out of shame but fear; fear of the beatings, being disowned and so much more. Nonetheless, I got my first Tarot deck at 15 and was doing Readings strictly by the book shortly thereafter. But I was likewise involved with magic all through this time and at a somewhat professional level; doing commercial shows as well as local community events and even a few magic competitions here and there. It was far more than a hobby for me (which was another thing that made my parents cringe.)

On some levels I really was the kid that ran from home to join the circus; I would troop from there to there as much as I could and by the time I was driving there was no stopping me. First there was Chicago & Detroit, Cincinnati, then L.A., San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Las Vegas, Reno, Nashville, Miami, Tampa... more or less all over the U.S. north/south/east & west. There were even a few excursions out of the country but not enough to claim being a world traveler :lol:

My show biz background put me into some amazing situations doing shows with and for some of the biggest names going; not just stars but various heads of state, former presidents and even a member of the British Royal Family. The other thing that put me into some uncanny settings was the time I spent in early drug rehab during the 80s through which I got to stand within 20 feet of the Pope when he came to L.A. and later (I think it was a year or so after that) I found myself in a Rose Garden near Hollywood listening to a private talk given by His Holiness the Dahlia Lama (who was far more impressive to me than the Pope... and at the time I hadn't a clue as to who or what he was :oops: ) But that period of my young adult years placed me smack in the middle of The Pacific Circle Pagan group... one of the older Wiccan type organizations in the U.S., studying with Joseph B. Wilson (not the Mormon) the Hopi shamanic traditions as well as some guidance by Dr. Donald Blythe and a couple of years hanging at the PRS. I'd likewise known and had been helping out Louise Hay on and off since 82 and as she rose up in popularity as the West Coast Guru in the New Age movement. She'd be bringing along Marianne Williamson, Lazarus and a few others with her, who I'd likewise intermingle with from time to time. (sigh... I can't keep it all straight there was so much going on back then -- Pagans, New Agers, Buddhists, Science of Mind and of course Star Wars... )

As noted, I was in recovery during my 20's and it wasn't a pretty thing; I'd more or less wiped out what was left of my memory (always had a poor memory due to some hard thumps over the years. Mostly accidents from trying out little escape artist stunts, racing go-carts (midge racers, actually), dirt bikes, etc. plus, martial arts off and on well into my mid-20s... at 23 however, I broke my lower back and that's when my life really started falling down hill on one level... the part most people see :? )

I think I've painted a fair picture of things up to my mid-20s but that's where things really began shifting towards the psychic thing as being the primary focus in my life. I'd sold the show in 89 but somehow managed to build a new one and get back on stage for another run by 91 when I met Marcy and her kids... it would be 9 years that would change me life in some amazing, unforgettable ways in that I accomplished a great amount professionally in magic as well as vocationally in the Psychic/New Age market as a Reader, Teacher and Writer/contributor to various magazines.

In the summer of 97 I was in a car accident and broke my neck (that was an interesting experience...didn't know I was hurt until I knew all the kids were ok, then I passed out). About a year after that I blew three discs all at once while walking out property in Ohio; the stress of these two situation, the fact that the kids were grown and ours was never a sexual relationship all lead to the family slowly growing apart... my running off to do shows in Nashville more or less being the last page to that chapter it would seem.

For most of the past 15 or so years I've worked as a Psychic Entertainer, lecturer, writer, etc. though I still assist in developing routines and effects for stage magicians. I am currently working on my first two "shut eye" (non magic market) tomes; one addressing the fraud that is the skeptic's community (sort of) and the other is a "How To" pertaining to developing one's skills as a Reader... I'm confident it's going to get both, the believers and the magic world all wound up :twisted:

I know there's some missing chunks here and there, but that's the gist of it all. If you figure it all out, let me know I still don't understand it and I was there :ugeek:
Craig Browning

Postby NucleicAcid » 05 Apr 2010, 11:04

Wow. Awesome.

So something I've always wanted to know...when working as a psychic entertainer, and being psychic, what amount of psychic ability will you use during the performance, and what will you use it for? And along those lines, what is the craziest thing you've pulled out of thin air so to speak, without using any 'mundane' means such as tricks, cold reading, research, lucky guess etc?
Hey, you there. Yes, you. Read more journal articles.

If what I say sounds like the teacher from Charlie Brown (Wah wahh woohh wuh waah), then you should try college. It's fun, and only costs you your soul and several tens of thousands of dollars. :)

“I agree that by the standards of any other area of science that remote viewing is proven“ - Richard Wiseman

Let's make directional hypotheses, test them repeatedly, replicate experiments, and publish results! Yay, science!
NucleicAcid

Postby Craig Browning » 06 Apr 2010, 02:19

NucleicAcid wrote:Wow. Awesome.
So something I've always wanted to know...when working as a psychic entertainer, and being psychic, what amount of psychic ability will you use during the performance, and what will you use it for? And along those lines, what is the craziest thing you've pulled out of thin air so to speak, without using any 'mundane' means such as tricks, cold reading, research, lucky guess etc?

You really need to understand that my definition of "Psychic" has absolutely NOTHING to do with boogiemen, spooks, etc.

When I perform I am teaching folks the same thing I teach via my writing, lectures and workshops on Psychic Development; the fact that "we" have discovered a good deal as to what is behind "the trick". I encourage people to become AWARE... psychic's are supposed to, according to legend, be aware or "sensitive" to their surroundings... Ironically 90% of those you meet aren't aware of the large zit at the tip of their nose... metaphorically speaking.

To me, based on the tons of research I've read both, pro & con as well as the theological and philosophical points tied to the idea of being Psychic, is that it is 100% natural and has NOTHING to do with the supernatural or "Paranormal". But that is a conclusion based on a 20th century mind and perspective, not how our ancestors, even a 100 years ago, perceived such things. Even in my own lifetime I've watched the social paradigm shift significantly away from blindly accepting or "assuming" certain types of phenomena or even the claim of specialness (re: religious claims), but as recently as the 1960s and early 70s, we had people that were so CONvinced that such things were real that it generated a religious based counter movement packed with considerable venom... and of course, fear oriented drumming.

To summarize, I believe that one's Psychic ability is based more on how well you learn to listen to what your own body is telling you; how well the subconscious and conscious minds work with one another vs. the conscious mind suppressing the other side of our consciousness, as we've been trained to do, albeit, by osmosis -- monkey see, monkey do.

The great memory master Harry Loraine pointed out over 40 years ago, how a person with solid memory (recollection) skills would frequently be viewed by others as a "Psychic". Interestingly the first thing as student of Psychic skill development or witchcraft must master is their mind; they must learn clarity of mind/focus as well as recollection and more importantly, being aware of even the smallest of details. In other words, they had to be aware of and sensitive to their environment at a heightened level... beyond the norm... outside the levels of common comprehension and observation. But, and this is the important key, they had to be aware as to how the environment and circumstance affected them physically.

The old comment about "gut feelings" or "going with your gut" come out of folk expressions speaking about one's Intuition; whenever we get "a hunch" or "premonition" most of us get a strange feeling IN OUR GUT... the abdomen region near the solar-plexus. In fact, right where a particular Chakra rests that is said to absorb and process the very energy sets we're talking about here... I have a difficult time believing that's a coincidence :twisted:

Hopefully I've not lost you on this... the point I'm trying to convey is that if one learns how to cultivate their memory and connect consciously with their physicality, they can develop a unique sense of discernment; the combination of influences creating an outward expression most assume to be a "6th Sense" which is only partly true. The real truth is that this Psychic nature is a simple reflection or echo of how our more primitive ancestors survived; it's an extension of pure animal instinct that most of us have learned to turn off and ignore.

So, As to Your Questions... based on how I know and understand the Psychic idea on the pragmatic level, I can say that over 60% of my stage shows are legit and the amount of material that is more trick-based in nature exist for the sake of production value, most of it even looking or feeling like what it is... a bit of fun for the sake of having fun. But that's why we call it ENTERTAINMENT :lol:

I am not a "Mind Reader" but rather a "Thought Interpreter" for lack of a better term; via contact or non-contact I discern the thought of commands given to me by a patron or group of patrons. Blindfolded or not, I have driven cars to locations unknown to me, delivered messages to total strangers and performed some rather unusual physical challenges simply because it is what the challenge committee outlined on the challenge card chosen (very Wolf Messing). Too, much akin to John Edward I present a Q&A type sequence, frequently without written questions of any kind but that too depends on my mood and how I'm feeling.

My Seance Shows would be better titled "Ghost Stories" in that they tend to deal with paranormal happenstance associated with articles that belonged to someone now long gone or I'm offering guests the opportunity to experience what a Seance was like during the Victorian era, the sequence being similar to a OUIJA Board and again, a Q&A type bit comes into play along with the optional bouncing table... all of it classic spiritualism at its best. :o

As to unusual happenings... there have been many but the one that makes me laugh the most was a show I was doing in Nashville some years ago. Late in the program this gent walks in and takes a seat to the back of the room. When we come to the Q&A segment I kept feeling that I needed to talk with him... I started describing someone, going only with the initial thoughts that kept coming to mind... this same gent finally raised his hand and said, "I think you're talking about me"... every single thing I'd said was a solid, unquestionable hit. Let me explain; I said he was a Martial Artist... that's a very vague and broad term if you think about it... but then I said, "probably Wing Chun style" the sweat beaded up on this guys forehead as he shook his head and confirmed what I'd said.

Long story short, I spent ten minutes on this guy and got nothing but confirmation after confirmation with him... I moved from him to a lady that sat near him... little did I realize, she was the wife of the guy producing the event. But I walked straight in on her and revealed about a dozen hard hits with her including some "dirty laundry" the husband thought he was getting away with... (oops).

The guy producing the show was a magic hobbyist, all he could do was beg me to explain "how I did it"... he refused to believe that I walked in on this complete stranger and his wife without having done any of the common cheats and yet, that's exactly what I did... 100% real deal (based on what I've stated above) While there may be some other "amazing" things done or seen, this was the most memorable and one that reminds me when I'm down and in doubt about things that I'm at least on the right path ;)
Craig Browning

Postby NucleicAcid » 06 Apr 2010, 09:13

Fascinating. Yeah, I do follow exactly what you're saying. But I'm a scientist so I'm going to dig a little further, if you wouldn't mind, because I'm really trying to reconcile two different paradigms that may just be the same.

1) If you were given a task of having a someone in the room next to you (so you can't see, hear, or interact with them in any physical way), and they were looking at a playing card, could you (or anyone really) name the color (red or black) more than 50% of the time? Like, if you were given 10 trials, how many would you expect to get right?

2) Do you believe genuine telekinesis (moving an object without touching it) is possible?

If what I say sounds like the teacher from Charlie Brown (Wah wahh woohh wuh waah), then you should try college. It's fun, and only costs you your soul and several tens of thousands of dollars. :)

“I agree that by the standards of any other area of science that remote viewing is proven“ - Richard Wiseman

Let's make directional hypotheses, test them repeatedly, replicate experiments, and publish results! Yay, science!
NucleicAcid

Postby Craig Browning » 06 Apr 2010, 22:15

NucleicAcid wrote:1) If you were given a task of having a someone in the room next to you (so you can't see, hear, or interact with them in any physical way), and they were looking at a playing card, could you (or anyone really) name the color (red or black) more than 50% of the time? Like, if you were given 10 trials, how many would you expect to get right?

I have seen demonstrations in which this sort of thing has been demonstrated, usually more on the basis of Clairvoyance (bi-location/astral projection... whatever you wish to call it) but sometimes as a demonstration in Telepathy. With the latter however, I am of the belief that the majority skilled as a literal "telepathist' MUST have line of sight or similar "connection" to the participant.

I know that Robert Nelson's HELLSTROMISM suggests that one can cultivate the ability to be separated by considerable distance and discern such details I am hesitant to cosign such. The best and most skilled individuals I've seen in this arena (which includes Dowsing & some aspects of Scrying) do their best when line of sight is extant. This is one reason why I suspect that much of what we wrongly refer to as being "Psychic Ability" is really little more than an extension of our own learned skills of observation, recollection, esoteric associations (metaphoric meanings & understanding such), with a reasonable dose of "imagination" which tends to be a culmination of subconscious/subliminal influences and good ole intuition... our animal instincts.

2) Do you believe genuine telekinesis (moving an object without touching it) is possible?

This is something that's been of interest to me since childhood and first reading about Uri Geller but more so, connecting (in my own mind) what Geller did with something that's a known medical oddity;

Roughly one in every 20 people born have a peculiar bio-electrical/magnetic field about themselves. Use to be you could spot them due to their inability to wear a spring driven watch that was not insulated by a thick leather band or other special divider... the gears would literally freeze up from being magnetized. These same people tend to cause silver (especially) and Gold tarnish quickly when worn... literally within days a tarnish build-up that would normally requires months become seen... months resting on a shelf in that wearing such things typically detours tarnish build-up.

Another thing or two about these folks is that some can generate a strong static field between their hands that can deliver are rather awesome shock but likewise cause light items like feathers, paper, etc. move... which brings me to my suspicion that PK could be the result of this phenomena... though spooky it is 100% natural phenomena. It's likewise the premise I use when I present a PK sequence in my shows... something I've stepped away from in the past ten years because of all the "amateurs" out there thinking themselves "Mentalists" and ruining bits that were once awe inspiring :x
Craig Browning

Postby NucleicAcid » 06 Apr 2010, 23:09

Cool. Yeah, I do agree that whatever is going on, it has to be "natural," otherwise it wouldn't be happening. But I do think that something is going on that isn't deemed possibly by the current mindset of reductionist/materialist/naturalist mindsets.

NucleicAcid

Postby Craig Browning » 08 Apr 2010, 02:22

NucleicAcid wrote:Cool. Yeah, I do agree that whatever is going on, it has to be "natural," otherwise it wouldn't be happening. But I do think that something is going on that isn't deemed possibly by the current mindset of reductionist/materialist/naturalist mindsets.

This is exactly why I'm willing to argue with the cynics when it comes to this stuff; frequently laughing at them because of their inability/unwillingness to see and hear what I say and mean. In another thread here we have Kevin Kline going off on me as being a conman because of how he understand the idea of being a "Psychic" vs. what I have shared and repeated more than a few times the past 20 some years. I've not been fickle about it though my views have evolved and become more and more refined, but isn't that what is supposed to happen when you study and research something?

As a showman my job is to ENTERTAIN folks and doing so via whatever means are at my disposal. I never claim that everything I do on stage is "real" though I might imply some of it is far more real than other segments which, as I've shared, tend to be quite obviously a magic trick or similar gag routine with a psychic-like spin... or even mediumistic. I'm rather certain that anyone over 8 years old and in the room will figure out that the ghosts that go flying out of a box aren't real... but try convincing the cynic's who have their minds made up before walking into the show or, as I've had happen a few times, calling in to the Radio station during an interview so as to "debunk" the charlatan a.k.a. get their name on the air for being an ass wipe.

In all the years I've been around this stuff and all of the in the field working with and around the real thing, I feel confident in saying that less than 5% show signs of being "more" than just another self-important/deluded New Age air head. They seem to have an honest "gift" so to speak that defies the odds and the majority of what one might call "surface explanations" such as most skeptics look for the instant they think they smell a psychic. But of this relatively small faction I'd have to say roughly 3 in 5 prove to be "dumbfounding" which is one of the reasons I always leave the door open when it comes to if or not such things (as in the etheric and less logically explained manifestations) are possible... even probable in some cases.

I Do Wish to Thank You NucleicAcid in that you seem to be closer to a true Skeptic than I've seen in a very long time; someone that will question things but not rip them apart in order to prove things out as he wants them to be vs. how (at least for me) they are... or so it would seem. ;)
Craig Browning

Postby NucleicAcid » 11 Apr 2010, 23:40

Why thank you :). I'm different than most skeptics (I think I already mentioned in one thread that I'm going to start identifying as a psychic/skeptic just to mess with people) in that if there is evidence for something, I"ll take a look at it, whether it is psi, UFOs, 9/11, lizards running the world, overunity. And if the evidence isn't there, I'll say that it's probably a load of crock, and I have the psychology background to know how people get stuck on these ideas, but I don't push it too far, because ANYONE who has an idea stuck in their head (fanciful or cynical) can't be reasoned with. At all. If they believe lizards run the world, everything I say is something that was spoon-fed to me by the man. If they have decided phenomena X is impossible, everything I say is just waffling and weaseling and making excuses. That's all regardless of evidence. I don't think most people look at evidence in a balanced way, in fact we're 'designed' not to (designed = evolved particular traits for survival, haha see what I did there?). Humans have in-built confirmation bias. It plays a role in everything from mate selection to racism/group loyalty. It takes a lot of mental skill to overcome that.

I'm more of an inverted skeptic, actually. A skeptic thinks, "Everything else that's different is probably wrong until it's proven right." My point of view on the universe is, "Everything I have learned up until this point could all possibly be wrong."

It also helps that I actively practiced psi for many years, and continue to do so after my skeptical phase, and I'm finding really crazy stuff again.

NucleicAcid

Postby really? » 12 Apr 2010, 05:15

Craig Browning wrote:

This is something that's been of interest to me since childhood and first reading about Uri Geller but more so, connecting (in my own mind) what Geller did with something that's a known medical oddity;

Roughly one in every 20 people born have a peculiar bio-electrical/magnetic field about themselves. Use to be you could spot them due to their inability to wear a spring driven watch that was not insulated by a thick leather band or other special divider... the gears would literally freeze up from being magnetized. These same people tend to cause silver (especially) and Gold tarnish quickly when worn... literally within days a tarnish build-up that would normally requires months become seen... months resting on a shelf in that wearing such things typically detours tarnish build-up.

Another thing or two about these folks is that some can generate a strong static field between their hands that can deliver are rather awesome shock but likewise cause light items like feathers, paper, etc. move... which brings me to my suspicion that PK could be the result of this phenomena... though spooky it is 100% natural phenomena. It's likewise the premise I use when I present a PK sequence in my shows... something I've stepped away from in the past ten years because of all the "amateurs" out there thinking themselves "Mentalists" and ruining bits that were once awe inspiring :x

Reply to the bold red text.
Impossible. Why you might be asking yourself right now. Well the reason you can't build up a static electrical charge is that it's not possible to separate electrical charges into positive and negative charges in your hands because your hands are connected to your arms and your arms are connected to your body. This enables any difference in electrical potential that might occur to immediately become neutral since the charge can travel via your body and balance itself. Electrical differences in potential only occur if two separate objects are not in contact with each other for long periods of time long enough that is to let these differences balance out. An example would be rubbing a balloon against hair.
really?

Postby Craig Browning » 13 Apr 2010, 01:00

Believe what you will... I've seen it, I was in a relationship with a lady that could do it.

I'm not going to argue with anyone on this topic. It is a valid, albeit strange natural phenomenon.

I am not claiming that these people create "energy balls" that can be thrown at people... I don't claim that you can see arcs of electricity shooting between their hands, only an increase of electrical energy in that area between their hands that can cause watches to stop and even make the crystal of the watch shatter.

Let me say it again... THIS IS A KNOWN OF 100% NATURAL ODDITY. Not all people with the condition can demonstrate things as dramatic as I've noted, but some can. Too, some folks tend to be born with it only to have it fade with age while some seem to develop it during puberty or other bio-chemical changes in the body like coming into middle and senior age groups.

No, I don't know the medical term for the condition... I'm simply aware of it. I make no other claims around it and as some here already know, I WILL NOT play Rover and go fetch the details for you... find it yourself if you're that curious, I actually have a life to tend to.
Craig Browning

Postby NinjaPuppy » 13 Apr 2010, 01:54

I'm one of those people who doesn't wear a watch because they never last much longer than a week or two at the most. They just die.

I have been known to throw big enough visual 'sparks' when wool and dry winter weather come together.
NinjaPuppy

Postby really? » 13 Apr 2010, 03:20

Craig Browning wrote:Believe what you will... I've seen it, I was in a relationship with a lady that could do it.

I'm not going to argue with anyone on this topic. It is a valid, albeit strange natural phenomenon.

I am not claiming that these people create "energy balls" that can be thrown at people... I don't claim that you can see arcs of electricity shooting between their hands, only an increase of electrical energy in that area between their hands that can cause watches to stop and even make the crystal of the watch shatter.

Let me say it again... THIS IS A KNOWN OF 100% NATURAL ODDITY. Not all people with the condition can demonstrate things as dramatic as I've noted, but some can. Too, some folks tend to be born with it only to have it fade with age while some seem to develop it during puberty or other bio-chemical changes in the body like coming into middle and senior age groups.

No, I don't know the medical term for the condition... I'm simply aware of it. I make no other claims around it and as some here already know, I WILL NOT play Rover and go fetch the details for you... find it yourself if you're that curious, I actually have a life to tend to.

Perhaps a little remedial reading on the subject of electrical charge. How's it's created. What you are proposing is magneforming however if you look it up you'll see why such a thing can't be accomplished by any human. Many videos are available demonstrating this.

Even though you have a life you seem to have enough time to espouse opinions yet not enough time to do some fact checking
really?

Next

Return to General Discussions