View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

My 100% accurate horoscope

Discuss Divination, Fortune Telling - Astrology, Tarot, Runes, I Ching, Tea Leaves, etc. and Predictions.

Re: My 100% accurate horoscope

Postby ciscop » 15 Dec 2009, 16:09

Nostradamus wrote:A test of horoscopes I saw involved getting people to fill out a sheet. This information was used to provide a horoscope to each person the test group. People were asked to read their horoscopes and rate them. The people rated the horoscopes as quite good. Then the people were asked to hand their horoscope to the person next to them and read the other persons horoscope and see if it matched them. Much to everyone's surprise they realized that everyone in the room had been given the same horoscope. Everyone had found good agreement between this generic horoscope and themselves.

Maybe you could post your personal horoscope ProfWag and we could all see if the personal ProfWag horoscope matches us as well.

this is called the forer effect
penn and teller, derren brown, james randi and richard dawkins have recreated the same test on different
tv shows.
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby ciscop » 16 Dec 2009, 09:06

In 1948, psychologist Bertram R. Forer gave a personality test to his students. Afterward, he told his students they were each receiving a unique personality analysis that was based on the test's results and to rate their analysis on a scale of 0 (very poor) to 5 (excellent) on how well it applied to themselves. In reality, each received the same analysis:

“ You have a great need for other people to like and admire you. You have a tendency to be critical of yourself. You have a great deal of unused capacity which you have not turned to your advantage. While you have some personality weaknesses, you are generally able to compensate for them. Disciplined and self-controlled outside, you tend to be worrisome and insecure inside. At times you have serious doubts as to whether you have made the right decision or done the right thing. You prefer a certain amount of change and variety and become dissatisfied when hemmed in by restrictions and limitations. You pride yourself as an independent thinker and do not accept others' statements without satisfactory proof. You have found it unwise to be too frank in revealing yourself to others. At times you are extroverted, affable, sociable, while at other times you are introverted, wary, reserved. Some of your aspirations tend to be pretty unrealistic. Security is one of your major goals in life. ”

On average, the rating was 4.26, but only after the ratings were turned in was it revealed that each student had received identical copies assembled by Forer from various horoscopes.[2] As can be seen from the profile, there are a number of statements that could apply equally to anyone. These statements later became known as Barnum statements after P.T. Barnum, who used them in his performances, allegedly stating "There's a Sucker Born Every Minute." This, if he had said it, would be reference to the fact that Barnum statements can gull people into thinking they have been accurately assessed by the speaker or test when in fact the outcome could apply to anyone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forer_effect
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby ProfWag » 17 Dec 2009, 05:05

Well, I got my astrology reading back for my request using a fictitious name and DOB (but still a Leo).
In a strange and bizaar twist, the opening 2 or 3 paragraphs is a little different this time around. She still talks about how bad I need her skills and how great she is, but the wording is different and my transit is now the next 59 days instead of 29 days. However, once I get into my actual reading, it's word for word from my other reading. Still some "exciting" career opportunites that I need to go to Europe for, money from games or the lottery, me being street smart, etc. My new reading under "Larry" can be found here: http://www.aboutastro.com/cgi-bin/yf.html?c=b2jnx&r=27
My first reading under the name of "John," can be found on the first page of this thread.
I'm still open to obtaining information for supporting he validity of astrology as this doesn't prove anything. Doesn't do much for my support of astrology however...
Wag
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 15 Jan 2010, 22:49

ProfWag - Have you been doing any follow up to this topic? How's you life going according to your horror-scope? Did they spam the crap out of your in-box?
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 16 Jan 2010, 00:00

NinjaPuppy wrote:ProfWag - Have you been doing any follow up to this topic? How's you life going according to your horror-scope? Did they spam the crap out of your in-box?

About every 3 to 5 days I get a notice from Jenna reminding me how important it is for me to have my whole transit read. She's adjusted my transit time-frame a couple times already, but I can honestly say I haven't been spammed. She has a link where I could go to and opt-out of receiving her e-mails, but it's kind of fun to see how more and more important it is for me to send her money.
As of yet, I haven't won the first penny as she said I would, no people have my past has affected me, and my job is the same now as it was before. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that lottery thing though...
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 16 Jan 2010, 00:07

Thanks. I was wondering how that was going. I'm curious about the lottery part. Have you bought a ticket? As they say, "You have to be in it to win it". :lol:
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 16 Jan 2010, 04:25

NinjaPuppy wrote:Thanks. I was wondering how that was going. I'm curious about the lottery part. Have you bought a ticket? As they say, "You have to be in it to win it". :lol:

Twice a week I get 5 tickets/$10 worth (I get the extra powerball number as well). I'm going to the horse track next weekend as well, so maybe...!!!!
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 16 Jan 2010, 05:18

Good luck!
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 16 Jan 2010, 05:26

NinjaPuppy wrote:Good luck!

Thanks, but I don't need luck. I've got a "100% accurate" astrologer on my side!!!!
(between you and me, I'll bet Don's jealous...)
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 16 Jan 2010, 05:51

ProfWag wrote:

Thanks, but I don't need luck. I've got a "100% accurate" astrologer on my side!!!!

I hear ya! However since you never sent her the big bucks, you've only got a small percentage of that 100%.

As for Don, he's probably much better than Jen (or whatever her name is) and can do the 100% job for himself for free. :D
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 16 Jan 2010, 05:57

NinjaPuppy wrote:
ProfWag wrote:

I hear ya! However since you never sent her the big bucks, you've only got a small percentage of that 100%.

As for Don, he's probably much better than Jen (or whatever her name is) and can do the 100% job for himself for free. :D

Well, I don't know. I hope not as it was in my free reading that she said I'd come into the big bucks. In her last e-mail, she said she'd lower the cost of my reading to $45 from $60. She said it wasn't about the money, but if I didn't have a financial stake in my reading, then I won't be inclined to follow through with what she tells me to do. Clever, I must say!
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 16 Jan 2010, 06:14

ProfWag wrote:I hope not as it was in my free reading that she said I'd come into the big bucks. In her last e-mail, she said she'd lower the cost of my reading to $45 from $60. She said it wasn't about the money, but if I didn't have a financial stake in my reading, then I won't be inclined to follow through with what she tells me to do. Clever, I must say!

She's GOOD!
NinjaPuppy

Postby ciscop » 16 Jan 2010, 09:02

NinjaPuppy wrote:
ProfWag wrote:I hope not as it was in my free reading that she said I'd come into the big bucks. In her last e-mail, she said she'd lower the cost of my reading to $45 from $60. She said it wasn't about the money, but if I didn't have a financial stake in my reading, then I won't be inclined to follow through with what she tells me to do. Clever, I must say!

She's GOOD!

or evil...
ciscop

Postby The Warrigal » 16 Jan 2010, 13:56

Classic ripoff artist. :roll:
The Warrigal

Postby NinjaPuppy » 16 Jan 2010, 19:43

Evil? You call her business practice 'evil'?

ProfWag answered her ad. She did not solicite him. I believe the ad was specific to what he expected to receive. He was looking for a free horoscope reading and he got one. She has followed up by asking for his business with a set price. She even offered a discount of said price. She has been diligent to stay in contact with a potential customer. Her follow up is considered standard business (sales) practice.

Since none of us know if Jen is even a real person, it's kind of hard to say 'she is evil'. Sounds to me like it's nothing more than SOP for sales.
NinjaPuppy

PreviousNext

Return to Divination / Fortune Telling / Predictions