View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Why I think astrology is false

Discuss Divination, Fortune Telling - Astrology, Tarot, Runes, I Ching, Tea Leaves, etc. and Predictions.

Re: Why I think astrology is false

Postby ProfWag » 12 Nov 2009, 06:28

I had almost forgotten about this thread! Don comes on, calls me a name or two, tells me to research "real astrology," then vanishes like a magician's assistant for a few weeks. So, in an effort to save some time for when Don comes on again, I really need a simple answer concerning "real astrology." Again, this really shouldn't be hard. What, exactly, should a "real" astrologer be able to tell about one's future path? I'm beginning to understand now about the concept of "real" astrological natal charts, etc. as compared to daily horrorscopes. I believe I understand that a "real" astrologer may not tell a client what to do, but only what course one should take. Some "real" astrologers claim they can tell when a person will die, but they won't divulge that information. Is that all true Don?
Thanks again for your time.
Wag
ProfWag

Postby Nostradamus » 12 Nov 2009, 10:29

I heard the term 'real astrology' often back in the 1980s. I was renting an apartment from a woman that believed in all sorts of what I consider to be unusual things including astrology. If I questioned her about astrology or a study she'd replay, "Those stupid scientists failed because they didn't use real astrology." It seemed to me at the time that real astrology meant something untested.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Postby brett » 12 Nov 2009, 14:02

little personal reminiscence here ( to demonstrate how "astrology" rules some peoples lives ) - i went on a date with a seemingly charming female prior to meeting my late wife - well the evening went well until she asked me my birth sign ( Gemini - which may explain a few things :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ) - and declared " i could not POSSIBLY go out with a Gemini - my life is ruled by the stars " - and promptly left , leaving me sitting there thinking WTF ??

well as it happened i met and married a fellow Gemini ( we where both born on opposite cusps ) and we just clicked when we met - had a great but unfortunately short marriage ( death screwed that up ,not the usual reasons people leave each other ) - so may be there is something to all this :lol: :lol:

never did find out what the aforementioned date"s birth sign was - but guess i had a lucky escape with that one - geez - imagine living with someone who seemingly could not have a s*** without consulting her stars

WTF ??? - INDEED ,methinks :? :? :? :? :? :?
LIFE - just filling the bits between birth, death and taxes
brett

Postby ProfWag » 12 Nov 2009, 19:21

brett wrote:- well the evening went well until she asked me my birth sign ( Gemini - which may explain a few things :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ) -

No, it doesn't explain anything. Could you explain?
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 12 Nov 2009, 19:25

LOL. I understand that completely. :lol:
NinjaPuppy

Postby brett » 13 Nov 2009, 05:09

NinjaPuppy wrote:LOL. I understand that completely. :lol:

be my guest NP - tell the prof about gemini males ( it will be better coming from a lady ;) :lol: )

added later : ah maybe that's a tad unfair NP to put you on the spot - try this prof : http://www.novareinna.com/constellation/geminilovecomp.html

surprisingly accurate actually :o ;)
brett

Postby ProfWag » 13 Nov 2009, 05:52

Boy did that Gemini Male sound like me!!! I mean almost word for word! But, I'm not a Gemini. THAT is what I didn't and don't understand...
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 13 Nov 2009, 09:18

ProfWag - You need to know where your moon is or something like that.

Thanks Brett, that is one accurate description of a gemini male: "The Gemini male usually possesses a dual nature that when in active operation, can drive many of those governed by other Signs to the very edge of their patience and sanity. One minute, this man may be happy and the next, he is miserable...almost in the same breath. Since it is virtually impossible to predict which aspect of the Gemini personality may be on display at any given time, private life with this male can easily become a living hell."

:lol: As I recall, this puts it in a nutshell.
NinjaPuppy

Postby brett » 13 Nov 2009, 12:10

NinjaPuppy wrote:ProfWag - You need to know where your moon is or something like that.

Thanks Brett, that is one accurate description of a gemini male: "The Gemini male usually possesses a dual nature that when in active operation, can drive many of those governed by other Signs to the very edge of their patience and sanity. One minute, this man may be happy and the next, he is miserable...almost in the same breath. Since it is virtually impossible to predict which aspect of the Gemini personality may be on display at any given time, private life with this male can easily become a living hell."

:lol: As I recall, this puts it in a nutshell.

oy careful NP ,otherwise the skeptics will use it as evidence of potential skitsophrenia or something to further debunk me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

but on the other hand...........................................
brett

Postby brett » 13 Nov 2009, 12:16

ProfWag wrote:Boy did that Gemini Male sound like me!!! I mean almost word for word! But, I'm not a Gemini. THAT is what I didn't and don't understand...

so what sign would you be if you believed in all this ?? - i will find you a summation of your character for comparison purposes ;) - bearing in mind that star signs don't run the same as months - so you may be born in April ( latter part ) and still be a Gemini - or be born a few days after me and be what ever the next sign is - its called being born on the "cusp" apparently or some such - maybe someone more in to all this will explain :?
brett

Postby ProfWag » 13 Nov 2009, 21:46

brett wrote:
ProfWag wrote:Boy did that Gemini Male sound like me!!! I mean almost word for word! But, I'm not a Gemini. THAT is what I didn't and don't understand...

so what sign would you be if you believed in all this ?? - i will find you a summation of your character for comparison purposes ;) - bearing in mind that star signs don't run the same as months - so you may be born in April ( latter part ) and still be a Gemini - or be born a few days after me and be what ever the next sign is - its called being born on the "cusp" apparently or some such - maybe someone more in to all this will explain :?

Love to see it anything one comes up with about me!

NinjaPuppy wrote:ProfWag - You need to know where your moon is or something like that.

And Ninja, I know exactly where my moon is. I use it most every day... ;-)
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 13 Nov 2009, 22:29

You mean like this?

A little Wiccan humor for you ProfWag.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 13 Nov 2009, 23:09

NinjaPuppy wrote:You mean like this?

A little Wiccan humor for you ProfWag.

:lol: :lol: LOVE IT! :lol: :lol:
ProfWag

Postby brett » 14 Nov 2009, 00:40

ProfWag wrote:
brett wrote:

Love to see it anything one comes up with about me!

And Ninja, I know exactly where my moon is. I use it most every day... ;-)

OK so what month where you born then prof ?? and day ?? - don't need to know the year - PM me if you don't want to tell that live ;)
brett

Postby Don » 19 Nov 2009, 07:21

ProfWag wrote:
Don wrote:
Sure! The problem is you are a closed-minded dogmatist intent upon debunking a straw man version of astrology that you've invented in your mind even though you've admitted you know almost nothing about astrology. Your question is like asking how the sun worked for billions of years before we figured out the way fusion works.

However:
1) People have recorded their birth times for ages. Merely because they haven't done it in the West doesn't mean it didn't take place all over the world (especially in India and the Middle East where astrology began). You're like the "scientists" of Europe who denied that there were little people-like animals in Africa and who had to admit their error when gorillas were finally introduced to European zoos.
2) What you call an "astrological reading" is a superficial and incomplete term. What you actually mean is a horoscope interpretation. Horoscope interpretations are only one part of astrology. There are a wide variety of astrological techniques that have nothing to do with people's birth horoscopes.

You know, you'd be a much better debunker if you'd actually try to debunk real astrology instead of the fantasy you've made up in your mind.

Thanks for the response Don. It appears you have not answered my question, but instead, call me names and point fingers. I go to astrology.com and here are the topics I discover on their homepage: Horoscopes, Love, Psychic Readings, Tarot, Numerology, Vedic, Chinese, Feng Shui, Maya Aztec. Is it your stance that some are valid and some are not? How have you come to reach your opinion? Or, is this not a valid astrology source? If not, do you have a better one you could provide? Although you have stated earlier that you have never said astrology was real, yet you state in the above post that I would be a better debunker if I'd try to debunk “real astrology.” What do you consider "real astrology" if you don’t believe something about astrology is real? I can only present evidence and ask questions on information that is provided to me. Please Don, I would like to debate a subject that I believe may not have credibility, but when I ask questions, I get told I'm a "closed-minded dogmatist" and get analogies that have nothing to do with debating astrology. So, why don't you make it easy for both of us? What exactly is your stance on astrology? Do you believe that all of the topics on the astrology.com homepage have validity? Why do you believe in whatever way you answer? You have used http://www.astrologer.com as a source before, so when I go there, I see links to all of the above subjects as well. So if you would like to present your views, I request you do so without name calling and defensive attacks. This is a serious subject worthy of debate, but as of now, I have nothing from anyone to debate.

I answered your question...you just don't like the answer.
Astrology.com is a pop-astrology website. Astrology is more than what you think it is.
I've posted the names of books that will give you an idea about the depth of astrology, but instead you go to websites and $2.00 booklets. Why?
That's easy. You're unwilling to do research that shows you might be wrong.
Why do people have that attitude? Because they're closed-minded. Because they don't want anything to upset their dogma.
"profwag," it's not name calling when it's a description of reality.

Are all of the things you describe "valid?" What does that mean? Or more accurately, have you don't an in-depth study of any of them to determine their validity or invalidity?

This is a thread on astrology, but you start bringing into it all sort of other things. This, again, is typical of a debunker who refuses to stick to the issue.

"Real astrology" consists of a wide variety of techniques, all of which involve taking into consideration the apparent positions of the planets, moon, sun, (and even some of the major asteroids) in relation to positions on earth at specific times, as well as their relationships to each other and to the astronomical background of stars. Combining information collected from thousands of years of observation seems to show an interrelationship between all of this information and actions of individuals and groups, allowing for analysis of present situations and predictions of future potentialities similar to the prognostications of meteorologists.

Why would you want to waste your time debating a subject that you believe doesn't have credibility? What is your goal in that? Why have you refused to study any of the resources I've given? Why should anyone debate a subject with a person who has no knowledge of the subject such as yourself? If you're so sure the subject has no credibility, why don't you want to do the research that will allow you to prove it has no credibility?

I believe in what I've studied and what I know. That's why I say I don't know if astrology is valid. You, on the other hand, are convinced that astrology isn't valid even though you know nothing about it. Fascinating.

My "attacks" are not "defensive." Rather, they're that of an adult who is frustrated with a child who keeps asking "why?" but refuses to actually do any research.

Why have you not read even one of the books I have listed before? Here's another one. Study three or four and let's talk some more:
THE ASTROLOGER'S HANDBOOK - Sakoian & Acker
ALAN OKEN'S COMPLETE ASTROLOGY - Alan Oken
LLEWELLYN'S COMPLETE BOOK OF ASTROLOGY - Kris Brandt Riske
LLEWELLYN'S NEW A-Z HOROSCOPE MAKER AND INTERPRETER - Llewellyn George
ASTROLOGY, A Cosmic Science - Isabelle M. Hickey
SPIRITUAL ASTROLOGY: Your personal path to self-fulfillment - Jan Spiller & Karen McCoy
THE CONTEMPORARY ASTROLOGER'S HANDBOOK: An in-depth guide to interpreting your horoscope - Sue Tompkins
THE GENERAL PRINCIPLES OF ASTROLOGY - Aleister Crowley, with Evangeline Adams
ONLY WAY TO LEARN ASTROLOGY, volume 1: Basic Principles - Marion March & Joan McEvers
ONLY WAY TO LEARN ASTROLOGY, volume 2: Math & interpretation techniques - Marion March & Joan McEvers
THE WEISER GUIDE TO PRACTICAL ASTROLOGY - Priscilla Costello
THE ULTIMATE ASTROLOGER- Nicholas Campion
ASTROLOGY FOR YOURSELF - Douglas Block & Demetra George
CHOICE CENTERED ASTROLOGY - Gail Fairfield
SYNTHESIS & COUNSELING IN ASTROLOGY - Noel Tyl
THE ART OF PREDICTIVE ASTROLOGY - Carol Rushman
SOLAR ARCS - Noel Tyl
THE COMPLETE BOOK OF CHART RECTIFICATION - Carol A. Tebbs
ELECTIONAL ASTROLOGY - Joann Hampar
COMPOSITE CHARTS - John Townley
Don

PreviousNext