View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Why I think astrology is false

Discuss Divination, Fortune Telling - Astrology, Tarot, Runes, I Ching, Tea Leaves, etc. and Predictions.

Re: Why I think astrology is false

Postby Nostradamus » 11 Dec 2009, 00:09

NJ the comment about the post was mine. It was in response to Don's comments that my posts are done by me - a bad typist.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
User avatar
Nostradamus
 
Posts: 1761
Joined: 08 Aug 2009, 14:08






Re: Why I think astrology is false

Postby NinjaPuppy » 11 Dec 2009, 00:11

ProfWag wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:
Oh and another thing.... I wasn't aware that we are supposed to be in the business of changing minds and swaying skeptics into believers. Mea culpa. I'll need to dust off my voo-doo dolls and black candles but with the holidays and all, it might take me some time. Not to mention I just missed the full moon this past Wednesday. :lol:


Can I ask what I said that inferred that I was wanting to change someone's mind?


Not you. This:
ProfWag wrote:Okay, good point. But my comment was based on the subject of astrology rather than at specific person and nothing in 11 pages of "stuff," has made me change my mind about it one bit. I'd prefer to see someone write some evidence than to simply say their belief stems from understanding it completely.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Why I think astrology is false

Postby ProfWag » 11 Dec 2009, 00:13

NinjaPuppy wrote:
NostraDude coming in stealth again wrote:I choose to wait for evidence before believing in astrology.

Sweet baby cheeses! You are a skeptic and an educated critical thinker by your own admission. You choose to wait for evidence before believing in anything. It's a nice place to be. There is nothing wrong with that.

Guess what? We are ALL waiting for solid evidence pertaining to the paranormal and it's related topics. Some of us to gloat and some of us to study further and some of us to make a career out of debunking. Oh and let's not forget those shysters who will use it to rip off the masses as they never seem to find a conscience. (Hmmm, had to look up the correct spelling of this word and look what I noticed... con - science. Imagine that :lol: )

Ninja, I didn't write that either...

Corrected. All you skeptics look alike with your ariel font. :oops:
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Why I think astrology is false

Postby NinjaPuppy » 11 Dec 2009, 00:14

Nostradamus wrote:NJ the comment about the post was mine. It was in response to Don's comments that my posts are done by me - a bad typist.

OK, what did I miss? Awwww crapf! Now I have to go change all those darned quotes. You guys have faster fingers than me.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Why I think astrology is false

Postby Nostradamus » 11 Dec 2009, 00:21

A long time ago I was discussing astrology with a friend of mine and he offered the cucumber notion.

He claimed that cucumbers controlled our lives. These green fruits were all over the place and in that manner controlled us. He went on to claim that those disputing the cucumber claims were not doing 'real' cucumberology. Only a true cucumberist could divine the meaning from the layout of the cucumbers. He also stated that a lack of knowledge of the exact locations and numbers and sizes of all cucumbers in the world was the reason that cucumberists were sometimes wrong in their prognostications.

I raise this issue of cucumbers because I think it might be a means of finding out what people think about astrology.

Should cucumberism be considered a legitimate form of study?
Is there a way to show that cucumberism is invalid?
Is there a way to show that cucumberism works?
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
User avatar
Nostradamus
 
Posts: 1761
Joined: 08 Aug 2009, 14:08

Re: Why I think astrology is false

Postby NinjaPuppy » 11 Dec 2009, 00:33

ProfWag wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:I'd prefer that someone's belief not be crucified when they state that they have no direct evidence to supply. But it looks like I'm not going to get that either. :lol:

Ninja, have you looked at the URL for this website lately?

I've been known to look at it every now and then. To be more specific, I look at it more hours per day, every day of my life than I care to even think about.

This ENTIRE site is about how bad and wrong we skeptics are.

And your point is???? :lol:

I would say that's the ultimate crucifixation and I'm simply defending my stance.

May I say that your statement: how bad and wrong we skeptics are is a bit incorrect. First and foremost it's 'pseudoskeptics' and 'debunkers' not skeptics that are what is discussed in the treatise written by SCEPCOP.

SCEPCOP even has this definition on the home page: And according to Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, a skeptic is:
"One who is yet undecided as to what is true; one who is looking or inquiring for what is true; an inquirer after facts or reasons."


By that definition, I have been called a skeptic by a member who shall remain nameless, right here on this forum.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Why I think astrology is false

Postby ProfWag » 11 Dec 2009, 00:34

Nostradamus wrote:A long time ago I was discussing astrology with a friend of mine and he offered the cucumber notion.

He claimed that cucumbers controlled our lives. These green fruits were all over the place and in that manner controlled us. He went on to claim that those disputing the cucumber claims were not doing 'real' cucumberology. Only a true cucumberist could divine the meaning from the layout of the cucumbers. He also stated that a lack of knowledge of the exact locations and numbers and sizes of all cucumbers in the world was the reason that cucumberists were sometimes wrong in their prognostications.

I raise this issue of cucumbers because I think it might be a means of finding out what people think about astrology.

Should cucumberism be considered a legitimate form of study?
Is there a way to show that cucumberism is invalid?
Is there a way to show that cucumberism works?

Here's what's sad about me. Based on the notion that cucumbers are everywhere, I can go into a store and see them, and when I eat them, I feel healthier as it tingles it's way through my veins, I am more inclined to belive in cucumberism than in stars hundreds of light years away from me and trying pass magnetism through the earth's atmosphere and into a mother's womb. But again, that's just me.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Why I think astrology is false

Postby NinjaPuppy » 11 Dec 2009, 00:41

ProfWag wrote:
Nostradamus wrote:A long time ago I was discussing astrology with a friend of mine and he offered the cucumber notion.

He claimed that cucumbers controlled our lives. These green fruits were all over the place and in that manner controlled us. He went on to claim that those disputing the cucumber claims were not doing 'real' cucumberology. Only a true cucumberist could divine the meaning from the layout of the cucumbers. He also stated that a lack of knowledge of the exact locations and numbers and sizes of all cucumbers in the world was the reason that cucumberists were sometimes wrong in their prognostications.

I raise this issue of cucumbers because I think it might be a means of finding out what people think about astrology.

Should cucumberism be considered a legitimate form of study?
Is there a way to show that cucumberism is invalid?
Is there a way to show that cucumberism works?

Here's what's sad about me. Based on the notion that cucumbers are everywhere, I can go into a store and see them, and when I eat them, I feel healthier as it tingles it's way through my veins, I am more inclined to belive in cucumberism than in stars hundreds of light years away from me and trying pass magnetism through the earth's atmosphere and into a mother's womb. But again, that's just me.

What is it that that ciscop had in his signature about walking like a duck and quacking like a duck?

Image
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Why I think astrology is false

Postby ProfWag » 11 Dec 2009, 00:42

NinjaPuppy wrote:May I say that your statement: how bad and wrong we skeptics are is a bit incorrect. First and foremost it's 'pseudoskeptics' and 'debunkers' not skeptics that are what is discussed in the treatise written by SCEPCOP.

Perhaps this should be in a different thread, but Scepcop, Ninja, etc., I'm sure you've read enough of my posts by now...would you consider me a skeptic or a pseudo-skeptic?
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Why I think astrology is false

Postby NinjaPuppy » 11 Dec 2009, 00:50

ProfWag wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:May I say that your statement: how bad and wrong we skeptics are is a bit incorrect. First and foremost it's 'pseudoskeptics' and 'debunkers' not skeptics that are what is discussed in the treatise written by SCEPCOP.

Perhaps this should be in a different thread, but Scepcop, Ninja, etc., I'm sure you've read enough of my posts by now...would you consider me a skeptic or a pseudo-skeptic?

Most definitely an extremely well spoken skeptic with a normal tendency to sometimes show some great passion for your own beliefs that may present to some who don't read everything you have written on this forum, to be a borderline pseudoskeptical attitude.

BTW, I'll move this to your 'What am I doing wrong thread" in a bit so as not to derail this entire topic.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Why I think astrology is false

Postby ProfWag » 11 Dec 2009, 00:51

NinjaPuppy wrote:
ProfWag wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:May I say that your statement: how bad and wrong we skeptics are is a bit incorrect. First and foremost it's 'pseudoskeptics' and 'debunkers' not skeptics that are what is discussed in the treatise written by SCEPCOP.

Perhaps this should be in a different thread, but Scepcop, Ninja, etc., I'm sure you've read enough of my posts by now...would you consider me a skeptic or a pseudo-skeptic?

Most definitely an extremely well spoken skeptic with a normal tendency to sometimes show some great passion for your own beliefs that may present to some who don't read everything you have written on this forum, to be a borderline pseudoskeptical attitude.

BTW, I'll move this to your 'What am I doing wrong thread" in a bit so as not to derail this entire topic.

Hmpf. Thank you!!!! You're still the best!
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Why I think astrology is false

Postby NinjaPuppy » 11 Dec 2009, 01:30

ProfWag wrote:Hmpf. Thank you!!!! You're still the best!

For a skeptic... you ain't so bad yourself. ;)
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: Why I think astrology is false

Postby Don » 13 Dec 2009, 06:23

ProfWag wrote:Don, instead of spending your time bashing Nostradamus and myself, could you please just maturely post the evidence you have that might suggest astrology has validity?
Thank you.
Wag


What part of English are you having trouble reading? I have consistently said that I don't know if astrology is valid. What are you asking me to prove something that I don't care about?
Don
 
Posts: 52
Joined: 31 Aug 2009, 08:02

Re: Why I think astrology is false

Postby Don » 13 Dec 2009, 06:26

ProfWag wrote:Oh, sorry. I missed that. My humblest apologies. Well then, allow me to say that the strongest argument for why I think astrology is false, IMO, comes from critical thinking.
There, that settles everything and now we can move on.


Except that you've admitted that you know almost nothing about astrology. Critical thinking can occur without accurate data. The result is that although the logic may be reasonable the result is false. Until you learn astrology, your critical thinking on the subject is about as valid as that of a flat earther who refuses to study astronomy or astrophysics.
Don
 
Posts: 52
Joined: 31 Aug 2009, 08:02

Re: Why I think astrology is false

Postby Don » 13 Dec 2009, 06:28

I'm afraid I can't be of much help here kungfu. I firmly believe that astrology is a crock of horse maneuer also. In fact, if it wasn't so dangerous to society, I'd say the subject is laughable.


"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-- that principle is
contempt prior to investigation." - Herbert Spencer, British philosopher
Don
 
Posts: 52
Joined: 31 Aug 2009, 08:02

PreviousNext

Return to Divination / Fortune Telling / Predictions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest