View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Why I think astrology is false

Discuss Divination, Fortune Telling - Astrology, Tarot, Runes, I Ching, Tea Leaves, etc. and Predictions.

Re: Why I think astrology is false

Postby ProfWag » 10 Dec 2009, 22:24

Don, instead of spending your time bashing Nostradamus and myself, could you please just maturely post the evidence you have that might suggest astrology has validity?
Thank you.
Wag
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 10 Dec 2009, 22:38

ProfWag wrote:Don, instead of spending your time bashing Nostradamus and myself, could you please just maturely post the evidence you have that might suggest astrology has validity?
Thank you.
Wag

Don wrote:As I wrote, I don't know if astrology is valid or not. I DO know that it's easy to look at one tiny aspect of just about anything and find a flaw, and then use that in an attempt to destroy the whole rather than saying the part examined is problematic. Talk radio and Fox news does it every day.

The strongest arguments for astrology, IMO, come from understanding it completely.

Asked and previously answered I do believe.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 10 Dec 2009, 22:46

NinjaPuppy wrote:
ProfWag wrote:Don, instead of spending your time bashing Nostradamus and myself, could you please just maturely post the evidence you have that might suggest astrology has validity?
Thank you.
Wag

Don wrote:As I wrote, I don't know if astrology is valid or not. I DO know that it's easy to look at one tiny aspect of just about anything and find a flaw, and then use that in an attempt to destroy the whole rather than saying the part examined is problematic. Talk radio and Fox news does it every day.

The strongest arguments for astrology, IMO, come from understanding it completely.

Asked and previously answered I do believe.

Oh, sorry. I missed that. My humblest apologies. Well then, allow me to say that the strongest argument for why I think astrology is false, IMO, comes from critical thinking.
There, that settles everything and now we can move on.
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 10 Dec 2009, 23:12

ProfWag wrote:Oh, sorry. I missed that. My humblest apologies. Well then, allow me to say that the strongest argument for why I think astrology is false, IMO, comes from critical thinking.

Not so fast there ProfWag. While critical thinking certainly does back up your POV without question, I'd like to add that this 11 page debate began early on with this comment:

I'm afraid I can't be of much help here kungfu. I firmly believe that astrology is a crock of horse maneuer also. In fact, if it wasn't so dangerous to society, I'd say the subject is laughable.

And yet not one nasty comment back. It took about 6 pages before the mud started to get slung. I do believe that is a record for this group. By page 9 it was all downhill. So sad....so sad.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 10 Dec 2009, 23:22

NinjaPuppy wrote:
ProfWag wrote:Oh, sorry. I missed that. My humblest apologies. Well then, allow me to say that the strongest argument for why I think astrology is false, IMO, comes from critical thinking.

Not so fast there ProfWag. While critical thinking certainly does back up your POV without question, I'd like to add that this 11 page debate began early on with this comment:

I'm afraid I can't be of much help here kungfu. I firmly believe that astrology is a crock of horse maneuer also. In fact, if it wasn't so dangerous to society, I'd say the subject is laughable.

And yet not one nasty comment back. It took about 6 pages before the mud started to get slung. I do believe that is a record for this group. By page 9 it was all downhill. So sad....so sad.

Okay, good point. But my comment was based on the subject of astrology rather than at specific person and nothing in 11 pages of "stuff," has made me change my mind about it one bit. I'd prefer to see someone write some evidence than to simply say their belief stems from understanding it completely.
ProfWag

Postby ProfWag » 10 Dec 2009, 23:28

Don wrote:
I have been going to conferences on a variety of topics, some of which have included astrology, for over 20 years. I have easily met hundreds of astrologers. There attitude, as I claimed, is that they would love it if they could have honest and objective research into their practice. Well, that's not completely true. Many have found that their practices have been so successful and that they have helped so many people that such research would be irrelevant. They really don't care.

As I wrote, I don't know if astrology is valid or not.

Just to clarify, you have been going to astrology conferences for over 20 years, but you don't know if it's valid or not? It's definitely true that you don't KNOW if it's valid, but it certainly sounds like you BELIEVE it is.
Personally, if I didn't like Star Trek, I wouldn't go to Star Trek conventions or if I didn't believe in UFOs, I wouldn't go to very many UFO conventions. But again, that's just me.
ProfWag

Postby Nostradamus » 10 Dec 2009, 23:44

What documents have dates going back 10,000 years? That is older than any writing known.

I'm sorry you're troubled at having your myths exploded.

This does not follow. No myths exploded.

The calendric system of India shows a repeating cycle of billions of years.

Invalid evidence. The universe has no beginning or end in their system of beliefs.

Also use a dictionary and look up the terms "analogy."

I know what an analogy is. Your analogy was based on incorrect information.

There attitude, as I claimed, ...

Frankly, I'm on the side of all your debunking is irrelevant since it's based on pseudo-science rather than objective inquiry.

For all of your snide comments about my post it seems that writing English is not your forte.

As far as your ape claim, all you are saying is that people wanted evidence before accepting the claim.

You reposted your logical failures. You must be quite proud of them.

I'm not looking for a tiny flaw. That's another false claim you posted. I am looking for even a smidgen of evidence that astrology works. I don't need to debunk astrology. Like your apes story, I choose to wait for evidence before believing in astrology.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
Nostradamus

Postby NinjaPuppy » 10 Dec 2009, 23:49

ProfWag wrote:Okay, good point. But my comment was based on the subject of astrology rather than at specific person and nothing in 11 pages of "stuff," has made me change my mind about it one bit. I'd prefer to see someone write some evidence than to simply say their belief stems from understanding it completely.

I'd prefer that someone's belief not be crucified when they state that they have no direct evidence to supply. But it looks like I'm not going to get that either. :lol:

No one here can possibly explain their reasons for believing what they believe. That would be a book as thick as "War & Peace". Not to mention one long arsed post that might crash the forum. They can suggest reading material for your viewing pleasure that might explain their interest in something and perhaps spark an interest to continue your own interest in the subject.

Oh and another thing.... I wasn't aware that we are supposed to be in the business of changing minds and swaying skeptics into believers. Mea culpa. I'll need to dust off my voo-doo dolls and black candles but with the holidays and all, it might take me some time. Not to mention I just missed the full moon this past Wednesday. :lol:

ProfWag wrote:Just to clarify, you have been going to astrology conferences for over 20 years, but you don't know if it's valid or not? It's definitely true that you don't KNOW if it's valid, but it certainly sounds like you BELIEVE it is.
Personally, if I didn't like Star Trek, I wouldn't go to Star Trek conventions or if I didn't believe in UFOs, I wouldn't go to very many UFO conventions. But again, that's just me.

Validity has NOTHING to do with interest. Some people just like to see how or what the other half thinks without worrying about if something is the God's honest truth. When you are looking for answers, you look anywhere you might find them. Not to mention that some people just enjoy conventions.
NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 10 Dec 2009, 23:53

Nostradamus wrote:For all of your snide comments about my post it seems that writing English is not your forte.

Oh please, don't go there! Just don't go there... This is one of the worst arguments on the Internet.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 10 Dec 2009, 23:54

NinjaPuppy wrote:
ProfWag by mistake for Nostradamus wrote:For all of your snide comments about my post it seems that writing English is not your forte.

Oh please, don't go there! Just don't go there... This is one of the worst arguments on the Internet.

Ninja, I did NOT write that! (I agree with ND since we were chastised about our English first, but I didn't write it...)
I stand corrected. I didn't see ND slip in there. Sorry... I have corrected the original quote.
Last edited by ProfWag on 11 Dec 2009, 00:00, edited 2 times in total.
ProfWag

Postby ProfWag » 10 Dec 2009, 23:57

NinjaPuppy wrote:
ProfWag wrote:Just to clarify, you have been going to astrology conferences for over 20 years, but you don't know if it's valid or not? It's definitely true that you don't KNOW if it's valid, but it certainly sounds like you BELIEVE it is.

Validity has NOTHING to do with interest. Some people just like to see how or what the other half thinks without worrying about if something is the God's honest truth. When you are looking for answers, you look anywhere you might find them. Not to mention that some people just enjoy conventions.

I re-thought that after I posted, but I'm going to stick with my statement. I can certainly see going a time or two for interest sake, but not for 20 years.
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 11 Dec 2009, 00:04

ProfWag wrote:I choose to wait for evidence before believing in astrology.

Sweet baby cheeses! You are a skeptic and an educated critical thinker by your own admission. You choose to wait for evidence before believing in anything. It's a nice place to be. There is nothing wrong with that.

Guess what? We are ALL waiting for solid evidence pertaining to the paranormal and it's related topics. Some of us to gloat and some of us to study further and some of us to make a career out of debunking. Oh and let's not forget those shysters who will use it to rip off the masses as they never seem to find a conscience. (Hmmm, had to look up the correct spelling of this word and look what I noticed... con - science. Imagine that :lol: )
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 11 Dec 2009, 00:06

NinjaPuppy wrote:
Oh and another thing.... I wasn't aware that we are supposed to be in the business of changing minds and swaying skeptics into believers. Mea culpa. I'll need to dust off my voo-doo dolls and black candles but with the holidays and all, it might take me some time. Not to mention I just missed the full moon this past Wednesday. :lol:

Can I ask what I said that inferred that I was wanting to change someone's mind?
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 11 Dec 2009, 00:07

ProfWag wrote:I re-thought that after I posted, but I'm going to stick with my statement. I can certainly see going a time or two for interest sake, but not for 20 years.

I must appologize to Don for taking up the cause here. Only he knows his reasons for enjoying something.

Sorry Don if I've over stepped any boundaries.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 11 Dec 2009, 00:09

NinjaPuppy wrote:I'd prefer that someone's belief not be crucified when they state that they have no direct evidence to supply. But it looks like I'm not going to get that either. :lol:

Ninja, have you looked at the URL for this website lately? This ENTIRE site is about how bad and wrong we skeptics are. I would say that's the ultimate crucifixation and I'm simply defending my stance.
ProfWag

PreviousNext

Return to Divination / Fortune Telling / Predictions