View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Any of you ever use tarot cards or runes?

Discuss Divination, Fortune Telling - Astrology, Tarot, Runes, I Ching, Tea Leaves, etc. and Predictions.

Any of you ever use tarot cards or runes?

Postby Scepcop » 06 Aug 2009, 02:52

If so, were they accurate and helpful? How do they work? I heard that your "higher self" manifests answers you need to know into the symbols, images and patterns. They don't always answer your questions, but they tell you things that you should know at the moment, since we aren't meant to know everything in advance.

You could even flip a coin several times while asking your higher self yes or no questions, designating 2 out of 3 heads or tails as the answer.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: Any of you ever use tarot cards or runes?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 06 Aug 2009, 03:59

I may not have been able to figure out Astrology but I aced Tarot Cards many years ago.

Scepcop wrote:If so, were they accurate and helpful?

Extremely accurate and very helpful. The process is designed to make the person getting the reading use his mind to explore the possibilities of a particular question.

How do they work?

That would take me days to explain but basically with 78 cards to a deck that cover just about anything you can think of it will give you what I call a path to get to the goal. Each position of the cards take you closer to the goal. The better the reader, the more specific the information.

I heard that your "higher self" manifests answers you need to know into the symbols, images and patterns. They don't always answer your questions, but they tell you things that you should know at the moment, since we aren't meant to know everything in advance.

Yeah, 'higher self' and all that stuff. It's more memory of the traits and meanings of each individual card. Once you have the cards down, you go into the symbols on the cards. The type of spread will also make the reading more specific. A tarot reading can predict but it's more of a path of options. If you do 'A' then 'B' will happen. I'm sure that many skeptics will say it's not much more than cold reading. I certainly would not argue this point in many cases but I have had two particular readings where I layed out a 10 card Celtic spread and was dead on accurate about something I would no nothing about.

1. A woman I did not know at all was having an affair and wanted to know if she should leave her husband. I do not ask what their question is, all I do is ask them to concentrate on it while I'm shuffling the deck. As I layed out the cards, I told her about the affair and she screamed as no one was supposed to know. I think she thought she was going to get a yes or no answer to her question. She got some pretty embarrasing details told in front of her friends. Then she accused the friends of telling me but when she realized that none of them knew about her affair, she got pretty twigged out.

2. A friend of mine (who I used to read for all the time when I was first practicing) wanted a general reading and as I layed out the cards I started to laugh and said, "you got laid last night didn't you!". She in fact did have a one night stand which was SOOOOOOO out of character for her. I was stunned to say the least (I mean she is in her late 60s and probably hadn't had any interest in men since the Nixon Administration).

I have done completely blind readings via e-mail with no questions or information other than someone wants a reading and have sent them a typed out text of exactly what the cards indicate and been told that I'm dead on. I have done readings knowing just about everything about the person in front of me and they are of the type who won't shut up while I'm doing it. They're always dead on but that's not rocket science.

You could even flip a coin several times while asking your higher self yes or no questions, designating 2 out of 3 heads or tails as the answer.

As I said, a good Tarot reading is not yes or no answers. It's a topic (your choice or the cards) that goes toward a path of either gain or loss. I guess that's the easiest way for me to describe it.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Scepcop » 07 Aug 2009, 04:04

Wow. Actually I just remembered that on several occasions, I did the same tarot reading for myself twice using the basic Celtic spread, and the amazing thing is that the second time, about 75 percent of the same cards came up in the same positions! I was freaked.

I get the impression that each card is only a symbol and may not have the same meaning for each reading. Is that right?

How do you get specific details from the spreads? Aren't the cards just basic symbols or archetypes? How would you know if someone had an affair, for example? Don't you have to use your intuition too, rather than just strict definitions of each card?

Maybe you can do a reading for me over PM sometime?
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby NinjaPuppy » 07 Aug 2009, 06:04

Scepcop wrote:Wow. Actually I just remembered that on several occasions, I did the same tarot reading for myself twice using the basic Celtic spread, and the amazing thing is that the second time, about 75 percent of the same cards came up in the same positions! I was freaked.

Yes, that's common.

I get the impression that each card is only a symbol and may not have the same meaning for each reading. Is that right?

Each card has many meanings in a specific area. Where it appears in the chosen spread will change the meaning and area.

How do you get specific details from the spreads? Aren't the cards just basic symbols or archetypes? How would you know if someone had an affair, for example? Don't you have to use your intuition too, rather than just strict definitions of each card?

Once you have the basic meanings down and can understand each card without having to look anything up, you can start to see a flow. Sorry but the word 'flow' is about the best I can describe it. As you are telling the person the meanings, it triggers subconcious thought that they can understand. This is the cold reading sort of thing where basic words can be applied to any individual. How far the subject wants to take it, is up to them. Once you get used to your cards and do a few hundred readings, you get much better at specifics. Like anything, the more you do it, the better you get at it. I suppose that in some cases, having a decent dose of intuition can be an asset. Does it make you a better reader? Not really. In most cases the cards do the work as the system was designed that way. Tarot is a mental exercise for the subject, not the reader. This article can explain the Tarot much better than I can: http://www.schuelers.com/chaos/chaos7.htm

Maybe you can do a reading for me over PM sometime?

That sounds like it might actually be fun. I'd like to set up a mutually convenient time but I'd rather not have you tell me anything. I already know much about you from reading your website and reading your posts here. Sometimes less is more, if you catch my drift. I like to have some quiet time when I do a reading so I will need to make some arrangements in my life first. As long as you are willing, I can start off without you and PM you what I have and you can look it over at your convenience. I doubt that this totally blind reading will do much more than tell you a bit about you but perhaps you will recognize things that you have never spoken of here. Once I get set up and give you the basics, you can ask questions via PM and I can continue past the original 10 card spread and see where it goes.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Scepcop » 08 Aug 2009, 02:38

Hi Ninjapuppy,
I still don't get how you can see specifics in tarot cards, when the symbols look so ambiguous, with so many possible meanings and interpretations. It doesn't seem logical. Perhaps it's beyond words.

Ok anytime you're ready to do a reading on me, let me know. You don't even need my birthdate? Would you be doing the Celtic spread?

Also, what do you think of upside down cards? Do they have a meaning that is reverse of its usual meaning?
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby NinjaPuppy » 08 Aug 2009, 03:46

Scepcop wrote:I still don't get how you can see specifics in tarot cards, when the symbols look so ambiguous, with so many possible meanings and interpretations. It doesn't seem logical. Perhaps it's beyond words.

It is beyond any words that I can string together, that's for sure. There's more to it than looking at the cards. Suggestions include: Picking a deck that you can relate to (there are MANY different decks to choose from), 'bonding' with your deck (working with them/studying one card per day to get all the symbolism down/getting used to the feel of the size of the cards), taking care of them/storing them properly when not in use and cleansing them between readings to make sure there is no previous energy on them and of course practice, practice, practice.

Also, as you progress the meanings of some cards will morph from a standard book description to a personal one. The more books you read, the more meanings you will find for each card. The interpretations vary by author/reader.

Ok anytime you're ready to do a reading on me, let me know. You don't even need my birthdate? Would you be doing the Celtic spread?

Nope, don't need a birthday. I'm going to target this Sunday as long as real life doesn't get in the way. I'll be starting off with a 10 card, traditional Celtic spread and that should give me enough to PM you some information. If I find that the cards are rolling, then I will do all 78 cards in one run, placing a new set of ten on top of the original 10 cards in individual sets. It's just the way I do it as it's worked well for me all these years. We will give it a shot and see how it goes. Perhaps you can apply some theory to 'hits' and 'misses' so that you might be able to evaluate a percentage? I would find that interesting.

Also, what do you think of upside down cards? Do they have a meaning that is reverse of its usual meaning?

Yes, it's reverse meaning. I don't do the upside down thing. I have a touch of OCD and anything out of order makes it harder for me to concentrate. I have found cards that have turned upside down on their own and I will read them as reverse but I don't specifically decide how many to shuffle the opposite way to create them. If a few go upside down on their own, then so be it, that's the way they belong, I read them reverse.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ciscop » 08 Aug 2009, 07:33

just one question
do you use the full tarot or only the major arcana?
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby NinjaPuppy » 08 Aug 2009, 10:18

ciscop wrote:just one question
do you use the full tarot or only the major arcana?

I use the entire deck. Depending on the type of reading I will either do a 10 card Celtic spread or what is called a life spread (past, present, future) where all 78 cards are laid out in 3 rows. As mentioned above, if the 10 card Celtic spread is 'talkative' I will keep going with all of the cards until all 78 are laid out.

A lot of how I do a reading will depend on how hectic things are around me when I'm trying to do it. I like to be able to relax and concentrate but it's not always possible. When I have the luxury of time it's a lot easier for me.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Scepcop » 08 Aug 2009, 21:59

Hi Ninjapuppy,
That's what I figured. I knew there was something more to tarot readings than just following a tarot guide and looking up meanings in tarot reference guides.

Ok see what you can come up with this sunday. But if you feel the cards rolling, and you laid out all 78 cards, wouldn't that be hard and tedious to try to interpret? I wouldn't want to make this more complicated than it is. I sure would be daunted at trying to read a 78 card spread.

As to upside down cards, when you shuffle the deck and split the deck in two and do the bridge shuffle, bringing them together, doesn't that make half the deck upside down? Or do you only use the standard shuffle and make sure that the cards are all right side up?
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby NinjaPuppy » 09 Aug 2009, 00:55

Scepcop wrote:But if you feel the cards rolling, and you laid out all 78 cards, wouldn't that be hard and tedious to try to interpret? I wouldn't want to make this more complicated than it is. I sure would be daunted at trying to read a 78 card spread.

Not tedious at all. When it flows, it flows. Putting my interpretation into an understandable text format can be difficult and lengthy at times. There are times when reading for someone it gets draining. Mental exhaustion happens if I have a lot of people who want readings in a short period of time. One or two readings every now and then is simply just good practice and staying in shape.

As to upside down cards, when you shuffle the deck and split the deck in two and do the bridge shuffle, bringing them together, doesn't that make half the deck upside down? Or do you only use the standard shuffle and make sure that the cards are all right side up?

LOL. Exactly! If you do a normal shuffle, cards are going to go up/down/up/down and on and on. I realized that since I never got many upside down cards that I don't shuffle correctly but it wasn't intentional. It's the way I always did it. I also know when to stop shuffling as well. When the cards 'jam' and won't slide without pressure, it's time to stop. Once again, nothing taught, just how I have always done it. Sometimes I have had a jam with one or maybe 3 cards falling out of the deck. I use those cards to start the reading, using them as a base for the rest of the reading. These are just things that I have found interesting in my way of doing things.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Scepcop » 09 Aug 2009, 13:00

BTW, have you ever done any readings at psychic fairs? If not, why not?
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby NinjaPuppy » 09 Aug 2009, 20:55

Scepcop wrote:BTW, have you ever done any readings at psychic fairs? If not, why not?

No. I don't consider myself a psychic and I firmly believe that once a person starts taking money for something of this nature their priorities shift and their focus shifts. My reason for learning how to read tarot was curiosity in the subject and to figure out how it works. I've studied or perhaps I should say I read a lot, seek out mentors, ask many questions, learn as much as I can with the tools given to me, go back and re-read the original infomation and then form my own opinion about the subject at hand.

I have been reading Tarot cards for over 20 years now.
NinjaPuppy

Postby NinjaPuppy » 10 Aug 2009, 03:12

Scepcop, I sent you that tarot reading via PM.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ciscop » 11 Aug 2009, 02:57

NinjaPuppy wrote:Scepcop, I sent you that tarot reading via PM.

is it possible to share or is it too personal?
just asking ;)
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby NinjaPuppy » 11 Aug 2009, 03:01

ciscop wrote:is it possible to share or is it too personal?
just asking ;)

Personal or not doesn't matter. However, if you would like me to do a reading for you, I would be happy to do so. Would you want me to post it here for all to see?
NinjaPuppy

Next

Return to Divination / Fortune Telling / Predictions