Sponsors: Expat Living Forum


View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Mobile Version          Join Mailing List


Ancient and Not So Ancient Burial Practices

Discuss Ancient Mysteries and Places - Atlantis, The Pyramids, Stonehenge, etc. Also Forbidden Archaeology.

Re: Ancient and Not So Ancient Burial Practices

Postby NinjaPuppy » January 21st, 2010, 1:33 pm

Share |

Yup, take plenty of pics. As far as I know, Voodoo burial practices are pretty much the same as any. Bury being the keyword. In New Orleans those of the Voodoo faith are above ground due to the water table.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 3933
Joined: July 28th, 2009, 5:44 am






Re: Ancient and Not So Ancient Burial Practices

Postby ProfWag » January 21st, 2010, 2:27 pm

NinjaPuppy wrote:Yup, take plenty of pics. As far as I know, Voodoo burial practices are pretty much the same as any. Bury being the keyword. In New Orleans those of the Voodoo faith are above ground due to the water table.

Oh yea. I used to love going through some of those old cemeteries there. Cool stuff!
My favorite cemetery in the world though (I think I've discussed it here before) is Perre LaChaise (sp) in Paris. Man, I could almost live there.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3791
Joined: August 4th, 2009, 12:54 pm

Re: Ancient and Not So Ancient Burial Practices

Postby NinjaPuppy » January 21st, 2010, 2:39 pm

I'm sort of a cemetary fan myself. I spent some time at the one attached to St. John the Baptist Cathedral in Savannah and I am looking forward to seeing another in Savannah soon. I forget the name of that one but I was told it's very nice and has a great history.

I also love the out of the way collection of headstone types that you find while traveling. When I lived in NJ, I would walk some of the old Revolutionary war battlefield gravesites.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 3933
Joined: July 28th, 2009, 5:44 am

Re: Ancient and Not So Ancient Burial Practices

Postby NinjaPuppy » January 21st, 2010, 2:43 pm

I am a sucker for any historical marker along a roadside. I recall as a kid wanting to see Molly Pitcher's well. I finally convinced my parents to take a ride there one day. http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM6M ... reehold_NJ

My mom never quite understood my facination with gravesites and historical markers.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 3933
Joined: July 28th, 2009, 5:44 am

Re: Ancient and Not So Ancient Burial Practices

Postby ProfWag » January 21st, 2010, 3:06 pm

NinjaPuppy wrote:I am a sucker for any historical marker along a roadside. I recall as a kid wanting to see Molly Pitcher's well. I finally convinced my parents to take a ride there one day. http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM6M ... reehold_NJ

My mom never quite understood my facination with gravesites and historical markers.

Yup, me too! That's an interesting story about Molly. I'd heard of her, but wasn't familiar.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3791
Joined: August 4th, 2009, 12:54 pm

Re: Ancient and Not So Ancient Burial Practices

Postby NinjaPuppy » January 21st, 2010, 4:05 pm

40 plus years ago it was hard to find female role models in history books. Aside from Betsey Ross, Joan of Arc and a few other women, they were few and far between. Molly Pitcher was a local by my standards.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 3933
Joined: July 28th, 2009, 5:44 am

Re: Ancient and Not So Ancient Burial Practices

Postby Nostradamus » February 27th, 2010, 9:12 pm

The graveyards of New Orleans and the surrounding area are interesting because bodies put into the ground 'float' to the top.
Scimitars were not available - beware January 19, 2038 is upon us.
User avatar
Nostradamus
 
Posts: 1761
Joined: August 7th, 2009, 11:08 pm

Re: Ancient and Not So Ancient Burial Practices

Postby Ellie » August 18th, 2010, 5:22 am

Ok, so this is an old thread, but i'm interested ;)

Can I ask why you (Profwag) think they are funerary features? Was there any human remains or anything?

I notice that this thread was brought over from somewhere else so apologies if i'm asking about something which had bee covered already.
Ellie
 
Posts: 40
Joined: August 13th, 2010, 4:25 am

Re: Ancient and Not So Ancient Burial Practices

Postby ProfWag » August 18th, 2010, 6:24 am

Ellie wrote:Ok, so this is an old thread, but i'm interested ;)

Can I ask why you (Profwag) think they are funerary features? Was there any human remains or anything?

I notice that this thread was brought over from somewhere else so apologies if i'm asking about something which had bee covered already.

Unfortunately, I didn't see human remains, just strange ways to bury people. A few modern headstones scattered among piles of dirt and a couple of them had a stilt like thing above the ground. I don't know if you got Gilligan's Island over in Scotland, but one of the episodes had Gilligan captured by native Islanders and they were burning him on a platform. It looked similar to that. I was back over there a few months ago, but I didn't make it down the road to see the area again, but will try again next time I go. This was the best picture I could find (notice the pile of weeds behind the tree and that's an idea of what some of the other areas I'm talking about looked, only a couple had platforms over the piles. There were others without platforms that were not as grown over as the one in the picture that definitely looked like they had just thrown dirt over the dead body.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38145995@N00/140619316/
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3791
Joined: August 4th, 2009, 12:54 pm

Re: Ancient and Not So Ancient Burial Practices

Postby Craig Browning » August 18th, 2010, 9:58 am

My post life body disposal plans are quite simple;

    Bake in an Oven Until Very Well Done
    Crush the Remains into a Fine Powder
    Spread Evenly over Stonehenge

No Christian preaching or innuendo, no hymns, no drama!

Ok... if you want to throw a party and use me in a coffin as the center-piece, go for it.. .but as part of the clean-up follow the previous instructions ;)


Frankly, I think we've surrendered far to much real estate when it comes to planting folks in the dirt and too, it's become outrageously expensive to do something nature tends to all on her own if given the chance. Baring that however, cremation is by far, the more logical funerary process going.
User avatar
Craig Browning
 
Posts: 1528
Joined: February 12th, 2010, 2:20 pm
Location: Northampton, MA

Re: Ancient and Not So Ancient Burial Practices

Postby ProfWag » August 18th, 2010, 10:49 am

Craig Browning wrote:My post life body disposal plans are quite simple;

    Bake in an Oven Until Very Well Done
    Crush the Remains into a Fine Powder
    Spread Evenly over Stonehenge

No Christian preaching or innuendo, no hymns, no drama!

Ok... if you want to throw a party and use me in a coffin as the center-piece, go for it.. .but as part of the clean-up follow the previous instructions ;)


Frankly, I think we've surrendered far to much real estate when it comes to planting folks in the dirt and too, it's become outrageously expensive to do something nature tends to all on her own if given the chance. Baring that however, cremation is by far, the more logical funerary process going.

Plus it resolves my fear of being buried alive.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3791
Joined: August 4th, 2009, 12:54 pm

Re: Ancient and Not So Ancient Burial Practices

Postby NinjaPuppy » August 20th, 2010, 8:43 am

ProfWag wrote:Plus it resolves my fear of being buried alive.

Yeah, I'd rather be burned alive.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 3933
Joined: July 28th, 2009, 5:44 am

Re: Ancient and Not So Ancient Burial Practices

Postby ProfWag » August 20th, 2010, 9:04 am

NinjaPuppy wrote:
ProfWag wrote:Plus it resolves my fear of being buried alive.

Yeah, I'd rather be burned alive.

At least that would only be temporary. Think how bored you would be in a coffin, buried underground, with no TV, until your brain rots away...
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3791
Joined: August 4th, 2009, 12:54 pm

Re: Ancient and Not So Ancient Burial Practices

Postby NinjaPuppy » August 20th, 2010, 12:03 pm

ProfWag wrote:Think how bored you would be in a coffin, buried underground, with no TV, until your brain rots away...

If this house had a basement, it would be very similar to my life. :lol:
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 3933
Joined: July 28th, 2009, 5:44 am

Previous

Return to Ancient Mysteries and Places / Forbidden Archaeology

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron