View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Skeptics, how do you explain these conehead skulls?

Discuss Ancient Mysteries and Places - Atlantis, The Pyramids, Stonehenge, etc. Also Forbidden Archaeology.

Skeptics, how do you explain these conehead skulls?

Postby Scepcop » 16 Nov 2010, 03:01

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: Skeptics, how do you explain these conehead skulls?

Postby Arouet » 16 Nov 2010, 04:56

I'm not watching another youtube video, but here is Brian Dunning on various strange heads:

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4144
Arouet

Postby ProfWag » 16 Nov 2010, 05:10

Scepcop wrote:Skeptics, how do you explain these conehead skulls?

Uhhhhh skull binding? It's when kids get their heads wrapped up in leather while they're still young. Nothing paranormal there Winston.
ProfWag

Postby really? » 16 Nov 2010, 11:30

The family Image
really?

Postby Scepcop » 17 Nov 2010, 02:18

ProfWag wrote:

Uhhhhh skull binding? It's when kids get their heads wrapped up in leather while they're still young. Nothing paranormal there Winston.

You didn't watch the video. That explanation was debunked. There isn't enough mass in the head to make a conehead that long. It's biologically impossible. Stop making up explanations.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby ProfWag » 17 Nov 2010, 03:37

Scepcop wrote:
ProfWag wrote:

You didn't watch the video. That explanation was debunked. There isn't enough mass in the head to make a conehead that long. It's biologically impossible. Stop making up explanations.

Actually I did watch it, but with a more skeptical viewpoint than one of believing everything I watch on youtube.
But, I'll bite. Who, in your mind, debunked it? Did the hundreds of anthropologists who are experts in Peruvian history and culture debunk it or did some guy?
ProfWag

Postby Arouet » 17 Nov 2010, 03:50

Also, Scepcop, do you have an actual scientific study supporting the alien hypothesis? A video is well and good on TLC or the Discovery channel, but not for serious discussion.
Arouet

Postby Craig Browning » 17 Nov 2010, 03:58

Aliens? :shock:

I've yet to see a Mexican that had a skull shape like that :lol:
Craig Browning

Postby Emily » 08 Aug 2014, 16:51

Craig Browning wrote:Aliens? :shock:

I've yet to see a Mexican that had a skull shape like that :lol:

Very few, if any, Mayans continue the practice today. This African Tribe did it until modern times. Photographed. It's not aliens. Mayans and Peruvians likely did not use the rope method, though. http://afritorial.com/tribe-the-mangbetu/

OP:
I watched the video. It wasn't convincing in the slightest. I'll even answer their questions:

- No one mentioned them while you were studying anthropology because either you didn't take a class specializing in Mayan/Peruvian cultures, your program was crap, you slept through it that day, or they assumed that was something you learning in world history in high school.
    - It is not being ignored by the press and the universities. Did you even bother to check?
    - They tell you that because it's the truth. They try to change the subject because there isn't really much more to say, or you have started talking about aliens. It is not a scary topic, and it is not a learning opportunity of a lifetime.
    - The "creatures" in the Mayan art weren't revered aliens. They were Mayans. Mayans practice head binding of infants. And filed their teeth into points. And did other crazy shit.
    - It's not that you can't get an anthropologist in America to talk about them. It's that they won't talk about them to you. You'll have better luck if you call an anthropology program that works in this subspecialty, and you don't mention aliens.
    - These skulls didn't hold larger brains, the brain was just in a different position.
    - Not an assumption. We can see it in modern humans who practice it. Also, it's done on infants whose skulls are not yet fused and have flexible growth plates in their head (why you don't need "extra bone matter"). The "caved in areas" they claim would happen doesn't IF you modify the skulls of infants. They really don't happen if, like the Mayans, you bind the forehead too.
Emily

Return to Ancient Mysteries and Places / Forbidden Archaeology