View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Strange, possibly paranormal experience!

Share your paranormal and psychic experiences here. Do you have any stories of how you came to realize that there were other dimensions or levels of reality? NO SKEPTICS ALLOWED!

Strange, possibly paranormal experience!

Postby Grichard » 07 Oct 2012, 07:41

I would like to share a strange experience I had a few years ago.

Back in late 2009 I became very ill with an (unidentified) virus, which totally floored me, and I was even in hospital at one point. Unfortunately it left me with pretty bad post viral fatigue syndrome for most of 2010, so I was quite ill for over a year.

Anyway, in about February 2010 I had this strange experience. I kept seeing 'flashes' out of the corner of my eye at this particular spot next to my bed. And it was always the same spot. I ignored it however, thinking I was hallucinating because I was ill. but then things got weirder.

On several occasions over a period of several weeks when I was in a state of being half awake, I would distinctly hear a male voice which seemed to be coming from the point where I had seen the flashes, whispering rapidly in a language which sounded like Latin! It sounded rather like someone chanting or praying! It would stop when I started to wake up. It stopped after a couple of weeks.

It was very odd, and I never felt scared or anything. Just perplexed and curious.

Now I know that sceptics would say that It was probably hallucinations caused by being ill (and that was what I put it down to at the time). But I wasn't taking any sort of medication, and I was otherwise perfectly lucid. And nothing like it had ever happened to me before, nor have I had any history of mental illness or anything.

Anyway, I had forgotten all about this, but last week I saw another 'flash' at the same point next to my bed!!

Has anyone else had any sort of paranormal experience like this, or was I just hallucinating? :? :?
Grichard

Re: Strange, possibly paranormal experience!

Postby NinjaPuppy » 07 Oct 2012, 08:18

It's not exact but check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2440
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 07 Oct 2012, 23:06

Just curious, have you ruled out a possible reflection off a window and/or a mirror that reflected a headlight or something?
Of course, there's always that possibility that it's paranormal... :o
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 08 Oct 2012, 01:38

ProfWag wrote:Just curious, have you ruled out a possible reflection off a window and/or a mirror that reflected a headlight or something?

ProfWag brings up a valid point. Glass can be a great conductor of light and images. Something as innocuous as a wrist watch on a table can cause some pretty neat light anomalies due to the watch crystal. I used to freak people out with that trick a lot when I was a kid.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Grichard » 08 Oct 2012, 04:12

ProfWag wrote:Just curious, have you ruled out a possible reflection off a window and/or a mirror that reflected a headlight or something?

Well, a few things, the point where I have seen this is against a brick wall underneath a window ledge alongside my bed, and there aren't any reflective surfaces. And secondly, sometimes the 'flashes' were white (a bit like a camera flash going off but far less intense) but on a couple of occasions, like the most recent, they were black.

I have probably seen it about half a dozen times in total and always in approximately the same spot, and it seems to happen occasionally at random, but there are car headlights passing quite regularly. I have never seen anything like it anywhere else. If it was something to do with my vision I would expect I would have seen flashes in other locations as well. I am open to a rational explanation though, just I've considered it and I'm not sure what it could be.

I hope that answers your questions.
Grichard

Postby NinjaPuppy » 08 Oct 2012, 05:04

Grichard wrote:I have probably seen it about half a dozen times in total and always in approximately the same spot, and it seems to happen occasionally at random, but there are car headlights passing quite regularly. I have never seen anything like it anywhere else. If it was something to do with my vision I would expect I would have seen flashes in other locations as well. I am open to a rational explanation though, just I've considered it and I'm not sure what it could be.

Car headlights bouncing off of another car's chrome bumper or a reflective road sign, like a STOP sign can be one cause. It's always best to eliminate the probable before trying to figure out any paranormal possibility. Keep a pad and pencil around and write down the dates and times that you see it. It may take a while but you may eventually notice a pattern.
NinjaPuppy

Postby SydneyPSIder » 08 Oct 2012, 07:05

Grichard wrote:But I wasn't taking any sort of medication, and I was otherwise perfectly lucid. And nothing like it had ever happened to me before, nor have I had any history of mental illness or anything.

Perfectly lucid but half awake? A lot of strange things pop into people's heads in dream states. I get flashes of light out of the corner of my eye sometimes, it's just a neural/rod/con artifact most likely. Once you start getting 'spooked' by things like that, your subconscious can do all sorts of strange things to you while you are half awake.

Who knows, it's possible. There are better ways to find ghosts tho, just watch those cable TV shows!
SydneyPSIder

Postby Grichard » 08 Oct 2012, 08:28

SydneyPSIder wrote:
Grichard wrote:But I wasn't taking any sort of medication, and I was otherwise perfectly lucid. And nothing like it had ever happened to me before, nor have I had any history of mental illness or anything.

Perfectly lucid but half awake? A lot of strange things pop into people's heads in dream states. I get flashes of light out of the corner of my eye sometimes, it's just a neural/rod/con artifact most likely. Once you start getting 'spooked' by things like that, your subconscious can do all sorts of strange things to you while you are half awake.

Who knows, it's possible. There are better ways to find ghosts tho, just watch those cable TV shows!

What I meant by that was, I wasn't in any way mentally impaired at the time with medication etc, other than being half awake. But I've been in states of being half awake many times before and since without experiencing that sort of thing. Sorry for the confusion. But on the other hand I was quite ill at the time and spent a lot of time sleeping. So perhaps that could have affected me.

Also, I've considered that it could be an issue with my vision. But I have never seen flashes anywhere else, and logic suggests that I should have if it was a vision problem. I would get my eyesight checked out if it happened more often, but since it is very rare I have never seen the point.

Also, the voice I heard on about three occasions, was a very distinctive male voice whispering in what sounded like Latin. I don't speak nor understand Latin, so I have no idea how or why my imagination/subconscious could have come up with something like that. Although I know brains can do weird things sometimes.

Anyway it was definitely a very strange experience.
Grichard

Postby SydneyPSIder » 08 Oct 2012, 20:13

So it sounded like Latin/Italian, but you don't understand Latin -- i.e. it could have been like a Latin Mass or prayer or something? Unlike our other recent poster here who could suddenly speak and understand Latin perfectly with the aid of google translate!!!
SydneyPSIder

Postby ProfWag » 08 Oct 2012, 21:55

I actually do believe the honesty in the story, but unfortunately, without seeing the actual setup of the room, I don't think any of us could tell you for certain what it is, could be, or isn't.
Wish I could be more help.
ProfWag

Postby Grichard » 10 Oct 2012, 07:12

ProfWag wrote:I actually do believe the honesty in the story, but unfortunately, without seeing the actual setup of the room, I don't think any of us could tell you for certain what it is, could be, or isn't.
Wish I could be more help.

Well that would be rather hard without diagrams or photographs. I suppose it shall remain a mystery then! But thanks for the comments.
Grichard

Return to Share Your Paranormal and Psychic Experiences