View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Skeptics allowed, but no ridiculing or scoffing

Share your paranormal and psychic experiences here. Do you have any stories of how you came to realize that there were other dimensions or levels of reality? NO SKEPTICS ALLOWED!

Skeptics allowed, but no ridiculing or scoffing

Postby Scepcop » 30 Jul 2009, 21:34

This is supposed to be a board where people can share their psychic or paranormal experiences in a supportive empathetic environment without skeptical criticism. So that means no skeptics allowed on this board.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
User avatar
Scepcop
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: 16 May 2009, 07:29






Re: No Skeptics allowed on this board!

Postby kungfuscience » 23 Aug 2009, 22:43

I'm a skeptic. I once saw a UFO. How do you stand with that?

I'm happy to tell the tale, but am I not allowed to bring my logic and reasoning to other people's arguments?

Kung Fu
kungfuscience
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 23 Aug 2009, 22:13

Re: No Skeptics allowed on this board!

Postby brett » 24 Aug 2009, 02:52

just tell the tale - let each judge its merit as sees fit - you will note that skeptics have asked questions - i guess we are pretty relaxed about this rule - just keep it civil ( which is all we ask here ) - please - we would be most interested in your experiences :D
LIFE - just filling the bits between birth, death and taxes
User avatar
brett
 
Posts: 436
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 22:23
Location: Plymouth UK

Re: No Skeptics allowed on this board!

Postby Scepcop » 27 Aug 2009, 12:34

kungfuscience wrote:I'm a skeptic. I once saw a UFO. How do you stand with that?

I'm happy to tell the tale, but am I not allowed to bring my logic and reasoning to other people's arguments?

Kung Fu


At this point, since the rule has been bent, I don't know. But I would suggest you just tell the tale. Just remember not to try to "discredit" someone else's experience. It's ok to ask questions about them though.

So I guess yeah, skeptics can share their "paranormal experiences" as long as they don't attempt to discredit anyone else's here.

Are you sharing your experience so that you can discredit it? If so, you've found a loophole in the rules I guess. lol
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
User avatar
Scepcop
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: 16 May 2009, 07:29

Re: No Skeptics allowed on this board!

Postby kungfuscience » 28 Aug 2009, 00:41

What does "discredit" mean?

Is it to say we can't offer our own hypothesis about what happened?

Am glad we can ask questions. Without questions, how can we learn?
kungfuscience
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 23 Aug 2009, 22:13

Re: No Skeptics allowed on this board!

Postby Scepcop » 28 Aug 2009, 13:43

kungfuscience wrote:What does "discredit" mean?

Is it to say we can't offer our own hypothesis about what happened?

Am glad we can ask questions. Without questions, how can we learn?


If you want to debunk your own paranormal experiences, ok. Just don't do it to others. Yeah you can ask questions, as long as you don't point fingers and declare things. That's more logical anyway. No one can judge another's experiences.

Are you insinuating that just cause your UFO story turned out to be natural, that all of them are?
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
User avatar
Scepcop
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: 16 May 2009, 07:29

Re: No Skeptics allowed on this board!

Postby Scepcop » 05 Dec 2009, 17:58

Shouldn't we be more strict about this rule? Shouldn't there be a board for people to post without skeptic ridicule? After all, who wants to tell their deeply personal stories if they KNOW that skeptics are just going to scoff at it?!

And if the skeptics can't respect such rules, it definitely says a lot about them, their motives and character, does it not?

These are all valid questions.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
User avatar
Scepcop
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: 16 May 2009, 07:29

Re: No Skeptics allowed on this board!

Postby ProfWag » 05 Dec 2009, 19:53

Scepcop wrote:Shouldn't we be more strict about this rule? Shouldn't there be a board for people to post without skeptic ridicule? After all, who wants to tell their deeply personal stories if they KNOW that skeptics are just going to scoff at it?!

And if the skeptics can't respect such rules, it definitely says a lot about them, their motives and character, does it not?

These are all valid questions.

Scepcop, I don't think this particular board has been infiltrated by skeptics. It was asked before that people be allowed to share their experiences without ridicule and from what I've seen, that request has been honored by skeptics and believers alike. If you think differently, please provide an example, but I know personally, I may have fallen off the wagon a time or two, but I have at least tried to be respectful to believers in the "Share your experiences" board. However, if you want the whole forum to preclude skeptics, well, you may have a problem with that.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: No Skeptics allowed on this board!

Postby NinjaPuppy » 05 Dec 2009, 21:11

Yes! Besides, how are we going to convert them to "ONE OF US" if they can't read over here???

OK, so that was a joke but I think they have all been very respectful on this particular topic. I'd like to see what other believers have to say about this as well. Particularly any 'lurkers' who don't post. Perhaps it's why they don't post. Let us know your thoughts. I'd be glad to take all comments via PM as well if lurkers don't feel comfortable with posting publicly.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: No Skeptics allowed on this board!

Postby Scepcop » 06 Dec 2009, 04:43

ProfWag wrote:Scepcop, I don't think this particular board has been infiltrated by skeptics. It was asked before that people be allowed to share their experiences without ridicule and from what I've seen, that request has been honored by skeptics and believers alike. If you think differently, please provide an example, but I know personally, I may have fallen off the wagon a time or two, but I have at least tried to be respectful to believers in the "Share your experiences" board. However, if you want the whole forum to preclude skeptics, well, you may have a problem with that.


You mean you've "respectfully" told all paranormal experiencers on this board that their deeply personal experiences are nothing paranormal and ALL MUST have natural explanations only? Gee that's nice. That sure makes me want to share my deeply personal experiences here...
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
User avatar
Scepcop
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: 16 May 2009, 07:29

Re: No Skeptics allowed on this board!

Postby ProfWag » 06 Dec 2009, 19:29

Scepcop wrote:
ProfWag wrote:Scepcop, I don't think this particular board has been infiltrated by skeptics. It was asked before that people be allowed to share their experiences without ridicule and from what I've seen, that request has been honored by skeptics and believers alike. If you think differently, please provide an example, but I know personally, I may have fallen off the wagon a time or two, but I have at least tried to be respectful to believers in the "Share your experiences" board. However, if you want the whole forum to preclude skeptics, well, you may have a problem with that.


You mean you've "respectfully" told all paranormal experiencers on this board that their deeply personal experiences are nothing paranormal and ALL MUST have natural explanations only? Gee that's nice. That sure makes me want to share my deeply personal experiences here...

Perhaps I have forgotten the rules in the "Share Your Experience" thread a couple times, but I didn't mean too. For those few times I did that, I apologize. I hope it didn't prevent someone from further sharing their thoughts and will try to remember where I'm at in the future.
Wag
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: No Skeptics allowed on this board!

Postby ProfWag » 06 Dec 2009, 20:07

I have an honest question here. If the rules state that no skeptical analysis is allowed in this thread, I can accept that and again, will try to abide by the rule. However, if someone experiences something paranormal that has deeply affected them, often times negatively, what is wrong with suggesting a possible alternate explanation that could potentially help them overcome their fear or negativity? Shouldn't people have a right to know that there could possibly be a rational explanation for something?
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: No Skeptics allowed on this board!

Postby Scepcop » 07 Dec 2009, 23:14

ProfWag wrote:I have an honest question here. If the rules state that no skeptical analysis is allowed in this thread, I can accept that and again, will try to abide by the rule. However, if someone experiences something paranormal that has deeply affected them, often times negatively, what is wrong with suggesting a possible alternate explanation that could potentially help them overcome their fear or negativity? Shouldn't people have a right to know that there could possibly be a rational explanation for something?


Well sure, I guess if someone comes in here and says that they had a paranormal experience that has affected them negatively and is looking for a rational explanation, I guess you can give them one. But most who share paranormal stories say that the experience affected them positively and expanded their awareness to other levels of reality.

In any case, since no one is complaining about skeptics on this board, I guess we will agree to the compromise then, that skeptics can post here as long as they are respectful. So I will change the title of this thread accordingly.

But as you know, human nature is sometimes sensitive and even if you express your skepticism politely, it can be taken as an attack, so it's a touchy area that has no perfect solution. But that's something we will deal with when we come to it.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
User avatar
Scepcop
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: 16 May 2009, 07:29

Re: Skeptics allowed, but no ridiculing or scoffing

Postby ProfWag » 07 Dec 2009, 23:21

Thanks Scepcop. I appreciate that post.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: Skeptics allowed, but no ridiculing or scoffing

Postby Twain Shakespeare » 30 Jul 2010, 00:33

This is a joke, but it is one that has been going on for thirty years.
When I was twenty, i decided to conduct an experiment to see to what extent "Beliefs" especially in what I "knew" to be "Untrue" could affect my perceptions. I decided to believe I had an invisible pet black hole named Glory.
I began to perceive her manifestations soon enough. I would see lost items appear before my eyes when I asked her to give them back. I managed to persuade several people this was true. Two of them later became Krishnas, so go figure.
My ex-wife, a lying, deluded Xian b---h, did not need to be persuaded. She "knew" at once that Glory was a demon. She scared Glory, who hid until she left.
At this point, to piss off Carl Sagan I decided to perceive Glory as an invisible, incorporal dragon. When that worked, I turned her into Mia Farrow from The Last Unicorn.
One other person attests to Glory. He has also been abducted by a ufo, though he doesn't like to think about it, being a skeptic.
Recently, (a joke that is no joke), I turned her into the invisible flying spaghetti monster, just to fill out my polytheistic experience of Gods I have knowledge of
"What's so Funny about Peace, Love, and Understanding?"
User avatar
Twain Shakespeare
 
Posts: 375
Joined: 20 Jul 2010, 05:19
Location: El Paso Del Norte on the sunny Jornada del Muerta

Next

Return to Share Your Paranormal and Psychic Experiences

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron