View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Churches need to talk about demonic spirits

Discussions Religion and Theology, Scriptures, Bible Debate, etc.

Re: Churches need to talk about demonic spirits

Postby Realist » 23 Jun 2011, 01:15

I think in very rare occasion there can be a demonic spirit but it is very rare. I don't know that I would classify TV as a demonic spirit. The church teaches, "I shall fear no evil, for I am with you." If you fully live within God you have nothing to fear therefore this is all that should be talked about. Just try to do God's will and stay in the light. I don't want to go to church and hear about demonic spirits. I think faith should lift you up.
Realist

Re: Churches need to talk about demonic spirits

Postby Craig Browning » 23 Jun 2011, 23:53

Realist wrote:I think in very rare occasion there can be a demonic spirit but it is very rare. I don't know that I would classify TV as a demonic spirit. The church teaches, "I shall fear no evil, for I am with you." If you fully live within God you have nothing to fear therefore this is all that should be talked about. Just try to do God's will and stay in the light. I don't want to go to church and hear about demonic spirits. I think faith should lift you up.

Ok, let me start off by saying “yes” there is a very (VERY) remote possibility that genuine possession can and does happen. You will note however the fact that I did not say “Demonic Possession” and with good reason, much of which I outlined earlier in this thread and too, we have the medical (Psychological & Pathological) explanations that tend to cover a good 98.9% of all such instances. But on the point of Psychological Possession I need to point out one very much ignored ingredient: FAITH or better stated, BELIEF.

When one is raised in an atmosphere in which such things are viewed as being viable and real it only takes a handful of minor deviations (for lack of a better term) within your personality and general habit, to get others involved on the ‘gossip’ front; that is to say suspicion and conjecture begin to move through one’s community group through which assumed possession becomes a catalyst – the mole hill that will be turned into a mountain over a relatively brief period of time because of the “target’s” sense of faith or, in a peculiar way, their lack thereof. . . let me explain that part;

Because of education, a child can mature in ways that take them well away from the traditions and beliefs of his/her family & culture even though there remains a funky-after-taste – a subliminal and typically denied sense of belief (and this can be deeply suppressed by the conscious/rational mind) Yet, when you have a rumor mill generating a particular negative, that energy can serve as a catalyst that stimulates that suppressed “belief” and voila! We end-up with the amazing possession of a non-believer – a person that was slowly convinced that something could be afoot, especially if they are under-going a period of depression or unspoken angst. It’s the kind of scenario used by the faithful, or more specifically the Clergy/Evangelists, to prove the wickedness of disbelief and rationalism and of course, gain an exceptionally dedicated patron after the fact; an individual that surrenders his/her life’s potential because of the psychological triggers set around him in life.

Arrrrgh! This is a difficult post in that I’m trying to not pen an in-depth lecture… this is revision 5

As to the question as to the claim that actual demonic things exist, I personally have to say that the jury is out. While I’ve experienced mild forms of spirit possession (a.k.a. Channeling. . . which, btw, I didn’t enjoy) I have to question this particular idea based on the generally exaggerated sense of drama that surrounds the typically 2nd and 3rd hand accounts tied to such things; I have never found a credible source that has “looked the devil in the face” or those that were supposedly possessed, that didn’t fit the niche of emotional & mental disorders.

The majority of biblical tales pertaining to possession were in fact pointing to illnesses like Epilepsy, Turrets, and Downs Syndrome; conditions our ancestors were not yet capable of explaining at the analytical level and thus, it had to be some kind of paranormal manifestation. This is why there were earth quakes, volcanoes, hurricanes, tornadoes and so forth; it was “God’s Hand” smiting those that either didn’t kiss his divine tukkiss (denouncing all other gods in the process) or else they were a people filled with arrogance, thinking themselves to be above the Gods. In the past decade certain wind-bags of the American Evangelic movement have implied this very mode of primitive assumption when it comes to this or that personality being stricken with certain ills as well as the increase of natural disasters we’ve seen around the globe in the past few years.

Personally I find the fact that any God bringing death & destruction onto innocent people an excellent reason to avoid it and do all I can to lessen its hold on humankind. We do not need such pettiness in a deity, which is why I prefer to not define my concept of a “Higher Power” via any sort of dogmacy; if “god” is in fact ALL then establishing such limitations and definitions defies the claim and becomes a noose about our necks and shackle around our lives. Which is the next big point I thought I needed to address when it comes to your post Realist, the idea that blind and full dedication/servitude to such a deity will protect you from its savagery and the various evils it literally created. . . well, it’s not just a dangerous thing, it’s amazingly primitive and falls well short of the logic and rationale of actual believers, such as myself; believing that SOMETHING “MORE” exists that will allude humanities attempts to define and “harness” it, but it is there. It’s just NOT what any sacred scripture condemns it to be and yet, it is. . . it has to be everything if the claims of religionists carry any genuine weight. Because of this however, we must learn to open our eyes, ears, minds and hearts and accept the perspectives of other theologies, culture and modes of faith, recognizing the common truths & wisdoms each share rather than allowing a handful of small slivers keep humanity ripped apart.

I should add however, the auspices of Science MUST be included when it comes to such a transition for it too is a form of faith/belief and to my mind, it is the twine that helps bring the rest together in a logical state of cohesion.

Blessed Be!
Craig Browning

Previous

Return to Religion / Theology