View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

Praying?

Discussions Religion and Theology, Scriptures, Bible Debate, etc.

Praying?

Postby ProfWag » 04 Nov 2009, 05:53

A lady just came into my office and asked about a job her husband applied for last week. We told her it hadn't been filled yet, but there were about 25 applicants and they were still going through the candidates. Her reply to that was "Oh, well I'll have to pray that he gets it." Now I ask, when someone says that, are they really not saying that she will pray that 24 other people DON'T get the job? If so, isn't that wrong for a Christian (or any religion I suppose)?
ProfWag

Re: Praying?

Postby NinjaPuppy » 04 Nov 2009, 06:16

ProfWag wrote:A lady just came into my office and asked about a job her husband applied for last week. We told her it hadn't been filled yet, but there were about 25 applicants and they were still going through the candidates. Her reply to that was "Oh, well I'll have to pray that he gets it." Now I ask, when someone says that, are they really not saying that she will pray that 24 other people DON'T get the job? If so, isn't that wrong for a Christian (or any religion I suppose)?

From my religious beliefs it could be improper, depending on the intent.

For a Christian, not so much. Prayer and faith overcomes all. Dontchaknow? She might have thought about praying the night before the interview that her husband was in tip-top shape for his interview to give him his best possible chance.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 04 Nov 2009, 06:37

NinjaPuppy wrote:
ProfWag wrote:A lady just came into my office and asked about a job her husband applied for last week. We told her it hadn't been filled yet, but there were about 25 applicants and they were still going through the candidates. Her reply to that was "Oh, well I'll have to pray that he gets it." Now I ask, when someone says that, are they really not saying that she will pray that 24 other people DON'T get the job? If so, isn't that wrong for a Christian (or any religion I suppose)?

From my religious beliefs it could be improper, depending on the intent.

For a Christian, not so much. Prayer and faith overcomes all. Dontchaknow? She might have thought about praying the night before the interview that her husband was in tip-top shape for his interview to give him his best possible chance.

If that were the case, I'd agree. But she said she was going to pray he gets the job. Sounds to me like she couldn't give two rat farts about the other 24 people. But hey, I'm just someone who thinks praying is a waste of time to begin with.
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 04 Nov 2009, 06:57

How prayer works is not an easy thing to explain. It's different depending on your subscribed religion.
NinjaPuppy

Postby ProfWag » 04 Nov 2009, 07:03

NinjaPuppy wrote:How prayer works is not an easy thing to explain. It's different depending on your subscribed religion.

Yea, I know a little about prayer from different belief systems.
I'm going home now to pray for my lottery numbers to hit tomorrow night...
ProfWag

Postby ciscop » 04 Nov 2009, 09:33

hahahaha
in my country mexico
people get advices on paper for ¨praying services¨
you pay them so you get people praying that you do well and get the job or whatever you tell them.. hahaha

i think thats the perfect scam
the prayer is doing anything illegal... actually he is doing anything at all and still is getting paid
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
ciscop

Postby brett » 04 Nov 2009, 14:53

ProfWag wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:How prayer works is not an easy thing to explain. It's different depending on your subscribed religion.

well good luck with that prof :lol: - there is a thought that one should not pray for your OWN benefit - but only for the benefit of others , so i will do you a deal , you pray for me to win the lottery and i will do the same for you - well they do say "the lord will provide " - but so far he /she has been remarkably reticent about those 6 winning numbers ;) :lol: :lol:

but seriously , I as you may know do not believe in any sort of "god " - as it is my firm conviction that religion and by inference any sort of godhead figure is a construct of man - nothing more , and just cant understand why people waste so much time on their knees when , from personal experience i have found that the ONLY person one can really rely on in life is oneself , and we have to sort out and battle through life's problems alone for the most part ( though i must admit the love of a good woman helps one a hell of a lot - i wish my good lady was still here :cry: ) - personally very few people have ever given me much , and what i have for the most part ,i have gotten by hard work and diligence ,not by appealing to some mythical figure

but hey ho if people want to do so that's their business and good luck to them - its their time to waste ;)
LIFE - just filling the bits between birth, death and taxes
brett

Postby ProfWag » 04 Nov 2009, 21:45

brett wrote:
ProfWag wrote:

well good luck with that prof :lol: - there is a thought that one should not pray for your OWN benefit - but only for the benefit of others , so i will do you a deal , you pray for me to win the lottery and i will do the same for you - well they do say "the lord will provide " - but so far he /she has been remarkably reticent about those 6 winning numbers ;) :lol: :lol:

but seriously , I as you may know do not believe in any sort of "god " - as it is my firm conviction that religion and by inference any sort of godhead figure is a construct of man - nothing more , and just cant understand why people waste so much time on their knees when , from personal experience i have found that the ONLY person one can really rely on in life is oneself , and we have to sort out and battle through life's problems alone for the most part ( though i must admit the love of a good woman helps one a hell of a lot - i wish my good lady was still here :cry: ) - personally very few people have ever given me much , and what i have for the most part ,i have gotten by hard work and diligence ,not by appealing to some mythical figure

but hey ho if people want to do so that's their business and good luck to them - its their time to waste ;)

My sentiments exactly Brett.
ProfWag

Return to Religion / Theology