View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

TV Evangelical Types

Discussions Religion and Theology, Scriptures, Bible Debate, etc.

Re: TV Evangelical Types

Postby ProfWag » 20 Oct 2009, 08:35

NinjaPuppy wrote:
ciscop wrote:well.. she isnt a TV Evangelist
but she was part of Jesus Camp documentary

quite a frightening movie to watch

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSwZJ55g80Q&feature=related[/youtube]
Warlocks are enemies of god!!

Jesus camp is a big thing in the southern US. Scary!

Scary, very scary. Speaking of scary, here is a page from a fun web site:
http://raptureready.com/photo/mansions/mansions.html
Just blows my mind that there are people out there that support this. Quote a lot of people it appears.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3846
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: TV Evangelical Types

Postby NinjaPuppy » 20 Oct 2009, 19:32

Thank you ProfWag. The link that you provided is a perfect example of how this forum expands my thinking. I have never thought about housing in 'heaven'. It never occured to me, in my entire lifetime that what is necessary on earth (food, clothing and shelter) would be necessary in an after life. I do not recall any mention of 'keeping up with the Joneses' as part of my religious teachings. I do recall terminology like 'great rewards' and 'riches of heaven' being mentioned but I personally never related them to 'earthly trappings' (another bit of leftover terminology) in the way of material 'blessings'.

In all my previous religious teachings I had established something much different. Allow me the opportunity, to put out there for your evaluation, my perception of 'heaven'. It's like floating up in the sky on a beautiful day, and I'm filled with nothing but happiness and joy. It's quiet, peaceful and euphoric. It's as if I'm a whispy little cloud floating around without a care of the material world that I have left behind.

That other idea of heaven, with grand mansions in some promised land doesn't exactly thrill me. It opens up too many questions in my head. Like who's supposed to clean that place? Does it come with a pool? Is there a homeowner's association with a 'no pets' rule? Taxes? Is it a dormitory set up? If so, that little thatched hut looks pretty good to me. Well, the hut looks good as long as it's in a good neighborhood.

Did you happen to come across a page on that website that has their idea of a Sears catalog? This gives an entirely new meaning to the "Lord & Taylor" shopping experience.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: TV Evangelical Types

Postby ProfWag » 20 Oct 2009, 20:45

NinjaPuppy wrote:Thank you ProfWag. The link that you provided is a perfect example of how this forum expands my thinking. I have never thought about housing in 'heaven'. It never occured to me, in my entire lifetime that what is necessary on earth (food, clothing and shelter) would be necessary in an after life. I do not recall any mention of 'keeping up with the Joneses' as part of my religious teachings. I do recall terminology like 'great rewards' and 'riches of heaven' being mentioned but I personally never related them to 'earthly trappings' (another bit of leftover terminology) in the way of material 'blessings'.

In all my previous religious teachings I had established something much different. Allow me the opportunity, to put out there for your evaluation, my perception of 'heaven'. It's like floating up in the sky on a beautiful day, and I'm filled with nothing but happiness and joy. It's quiet, peaceful and euphoric. It's as if I'm a whispy little cloud floating around without a care of the material world that I have left behind.

That other idea of heaven, with grand mansions in some promised land doesn't exactly thrill me. It opens up too many questions in my head. Like who's supposed to clean that place? Does it come with a pool? Is there a homeowner's association with a 'no pets' rule? Taxes? Is it a dormitory set up? If so, that little thatched hut looks pretty good to me. Well, the hut looks good as long as it's in a good neighborhood.

Did you happen to come across a page on that website that has their idea of a Sears catalog? This gives an entirely new meaning to the "Lord & Taylor" shopping experience.

I found it quite bizaare myself. Yes, that site is full of things that I just can't subscribe too. But, to each his own I guess. You brought up some good points about houses in heaven. I never thought of it. Perhaps one of your 56 virgins will do the cleaning, I don't know. My personal view of heaven is laying in a box, rotting away and getting eaten by little tiny critters until there's nothing left but bone dust. But again, that's just me...
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3846
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: TV Evangelical Types

Postby NinjaPuppy » 20 Oct 2009, 21:12

ProfWag wrote:I found it quite bizaare myself. Yes, that site is full of things that I just can't subscribe too. But, to each his own I guess. You brought up some good points about houses in heaven. I never thought of it. Perhaps one of your 56 virgins will do the cleaning, I don't know. My personal view of heaven is laying in a box, rotting away and getting eaten by little tiny critters until there's nothing left but bone dust. But again, that's just me...

Sounds to me like heaven can be arranged for you without the dying part being first. You may want to rethink that theory a teeny-tiny bit. You may be a bit too stuck in the biological process of human death and not so much on a spiritual plane. Of course I may be totally wrong with my thinking here so who am I to interject? It's just a thought thrown out for discussion.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: TV Evangelical Types

Postby ProfWag » 20 Oct 2009, 23:00

NinjaPuppy wrote:
ProfWag wrote:I found it quite bizaare myself. Yes, that site is full of things that I just can't subscribe too. But, to each his own I guess. You brought up some good points about houses in heaven. I never thought of it. Perhaps one of your 56 virgins will do the cleaning, I don't know. My personal view of heaven is laying in a box, rotting away and getting eaten by little tiny critters until there's nothing left but bone dust. But again, that's just me...

Sounds to me like heaven can be arranged for you without the dying part being first. You may want to rethink that theory a teeny-tiny bit. You may be a bit too stuck in the biological process of human death and not so much on a spiritual plane. Of course I may be totally wrong with my thinking here so who am I to interject? It's just a thought thrown out for discussion.

I'm not spiritual at all when it comes to death. One of these days I'm going to die. When I do, most of my body will eventually disapeer and I will no longer care if my deoderant lasted all day or not. That's pretty much my philosphy. Whatchya wanna discuss about it?
'Course, I do have a terrible fear of being buried alive so I will probably be cremated, just to make sure the brain didn't need oxygen after all.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3846
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: TV Evangelical Types

Postby NinjaPuppy » 20 Oct 2009, 23:10

ProfWag wrote:I'm not spiritual at all when it comes to death. One of these days I'm going to die. When I do, most of my body will eventually disapeer and I will no longer care if my deoderant lasted all day or not. That's pretty much my philosphy. Whatchya wanna discuss about it?
'Course, I do have a terrible fear of being buried alive so I will probably be cremated, just to make sure the brain didn't need oxygen after all.

Now there's an interesting concept, the brain not needing oxygen after all. Am I understanding correctly that you feel it's a possibility that the brain may not require oxygen? If I substitue the word 'mind' for 'brain' I can get behind that concept. If I am incorrect, then please 'splain it to me.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: TV Evangelical Types

Postby ProfWag » 20 Oct 2009, 23:39

NinjaPuppy wrote:
ProfWag wrote:I'm not spiritual at all when it comes to death. One of these days I'm going to die. When I do, most of my body will eventually disapeer and I will no longer care if my deoderant lasted all day or not. That's pretty much my philosphy. Whatchya wanna discuss about it?
'Course, I do have a terrible fear of being buried alive so I will probably be cremated, just to make sure the brain didn't need oxygen after all.

Now there's an interesting concept, the brain not needing oxygen after all. Am I understanding correctly that you feel it's a possibility that the brain may not require oxygen? If I substitue the word 'mind' for 'brain' I can get behind that concept. If I am incorrect, then please 'splain it to me.

No, not really. I just have an intense fear of being buried alive. I'm terrified that I would lay there for months or years just thinking to myself, even though my body isn't working. I don't really believe that is true at all, it's just a fear I have. Like heights. I'm afraid of heights also, but it doesn't mean that I really believe that every time I'm high up, I'll fall.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3846
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: TV Evangelical Types

Postby ProfWag » 20 Oct 2009, 23:48

Do you think it's possible to be afraid of something, but not believe in it? For example, ghosts. Can one NOT believe in ghosts, yet be afraid of them? Hell (as in the place below). Same question.
I guess that's the way I think about my being buried alive. By the way, my fear of heights isn't all that great, it's just something that often make me uncomfortable.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3846
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: TV Evangelical Types

Postby ciscop » 21 Oct 2009, 00:16

being buried alive.... that was a recurrent nightmare when i was on grammar school
and i got that from reading edgar allan poe´s stories way too early

just a thought on being buried alive...
not sure if you have been to cuba, but over there in the cementery ¨cristobal colon¨ (cristopher colombus for you)
they have the grave of a woman that is called the miracle lady (la milagrosa)
because she died very young, then she was buried and...
the next time a family member died.. when they opened up the grave
she was holding a baby on his arms...
they were both dead of course..

so to this day.. women having difficulties getting pregnant leave candles and flowers in her grave.
For every person who reads this valuable book there are hundreds of naïve souls who would prefer to have their spines tingled by a sensational but worthless potboiler by some hack journalist of the paranormal. You who now read these sentences join a small but wiser minority. Martin Gaardner (Psychology of the Psychic)
User avatar
ciscop
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: 22 Jul 2009, 12:04

Re: TV Evangelical Types

Postby ProfWag » 21 Oct 2009, 00:29

ciscop wrote:being buried alive.... that was a recurrent nightmare when i was on grammar school
and i got that from reading edgar allan poe´s stories way too early

just a thought on being buried alive...
not sure if you have been to cuba, but over there in the cementery ¨cristobal colon¨ (cristopher colombus for you)
they have the grave of a woman that is called the miracle lady (la milagrosa)
because she died very young, then she was buried and...
the next time a family member died.. when they opened up the grave
she was holding a baby on his arms...
they were both dead of course..

so to this day.. women having difficulties getting pregnant leave candles and flowers in her grave.

That English translation cracks me up. Looks like a disease that crystalizes your testicles and ass at the same time. Sorry, just had to throw that out there...
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3846
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: TV Evangelical Types

Postby NinjaPuppy » 21 Oct 2009, 02:57

ProfWag wrote:Do you think it's possible to be afraid of something, but not believe in it? For example, ghosts. Can one NOT believe in ghosts, yet be afraid of them? Hell (as in the place below). Same question.
I guess that's the way I think about my being buried alive. By the way, my fear of heights isn't all that great, it's just something that often make me uncomfortable.

It seems we all fear most what we do not know. I think it's not knowing for sure that allows our fears to manifest.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

Re: TV Evangelical Types

Postby ProfWag » 21 Oct 2009, 03:19

NinjaPuppy wrote:It seems we all fear most what we do not know. I think it's not knowing for sure that allows our fears to manifest.

I agree. Except as I stood at the top of the Eiffel Tower, the level that didn't have the glass around it, I looked down as best I could and I KNEW beyond a shadow of doubt that if I fell, it would hurt a whole hell of a lot. :-)
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3846
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: TV Evangelical Types

Postby brett » 21 Oct 2009, 03:37

ProfWag wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:It seems we all fear most what we do not know. I think it's not knowing for sure that allows our fears to manifest.

I agree. Except as I stood at the top of the Eiffel Tower, the level that didn't have the glass around it, I looked down as best I could and I KNEW beyond a shadow of doubt that if I fell, it would hurt a whole hell of a lot. :-)


er prof , its not the falling that hurts - it's the sudden deceleration from terminal velocity at the bottom !! ( boy thats gonna sting :o ) come along sir - basic physics :lol: :lol:
LIFE - just filling the bits between birth, death and taxes
User avatar
brett
 
Posts: 436
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 22:23
Location: Plymouth UK

Re: TV Evangelical Types

Postby ProfWag » 21 Oct 2009, 04:02

brett wrote:
ProfWag wrote:
NinjaPuppy wrote:It seems we all fear most what we do not know. I think it's not knowing for sure that allows our fears to manifest.

I agree. Except as I stood at the top of the Eiffel Tower, the level that didn't have the glass around it, I looked down as best I could and I KNEW beyond a shadow of doubt that if I fell, it would hurt a whole hell of a lot. :-)


er prof , its not the falling that hurts - it's the sudden deceleration from terminal velocity at the bottom !! ( boy thats gonna sting :o ) come along sir - basic physics :lol: :lol:

Yes, but of course.
User avatar
ProfWag
 
Posts: 3846
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 03:54

Re: TV Evangelical Types

Postby NinjaPuppy » 22 Oct 2009, 02:07

I do believe that I have found the perfect explanation for that housing problem previously discussed in this thread.
http://pandemoniumrealestate.com/
I'm sure that finding banker won't be a problem.
User avatar
NinjaPuppy
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 20:44

PreviousNext

Return to Religion / Theology

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest