View Active Topics          Latest 100 Topics          View Your Posts          Switch to Mobile

The Myth of Religious Wars

Discussions Religion and Theology, Scriptures, Bible Debate, etc.

The Myth of Religious Wars

Postby Scepcop » 02 Jul 2014, 16:00

Interesting video about why the notion that "religion has caused many wars" is a myth that is not true.

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: The Myth of Religious Wars

Postby ProfWag » 23 Jul 2014, 18:01

Many people (myself previously included) believe that the current Israeli/Palestinian conflict is religious based, but actually in the grand scheme of things, it is not.
ProfWag

Postby NinjaPuppy » 23 Jul 2014, 23:53

IMO, religion is only a way to control the masses and if you control the people, you can control the money.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Scepcop » 27 Jul 2014, 14:02

NinjaPuppy wrote:IMO, religion is only a way to control the masses and if you control the people, you can control the money.

Yes, but I wouldn't say "only" though. Major things usually serve multiple purposes. Some religions are also good for pacifying people, such as Buddhism and Hinduism. They make people passive by teaching non-violence, and providing good coping skills through meditation, which is good for people, but also good for the ruling elites too.

That doesn't mean religion is all false though. Each religion contains kernels of truth and wisdom. It's just that the way they are presented is greatly exaggerated and biased.

I think the militant atheists are wrong though, to try to blame religion for all the wars throughout history. They are obviously too biased against religion, which colors their perception greatly. I hope some of the skeptics here will agree and be honest enough to critique their own kind of people.
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby NinjaPuppy » 28 Jul 2014, 00:45

I agree.
NinjaPuppy

Postby Greatest I am » 14 Aug 2014, 00:24

Scepcop wrote:Interesting video about why the notion that "religion has caused many wars" is a myth that is not true.

A man or religion or faith cannot take religion out of politics anymore than he can split his brain in half.

As above so below says that he has to try to match whatever ideals he has in laws and rules to both heaven and earth. That is supposed to represent the best rules being followed by us here and now.

I agree that the mainstream religions of today do not have much in the way of morals and need to go.

They do not allow equality and that is a fundamental right that their various tyrant Gods will not allow. Or so the men of those religions say.

They do give good lip service to equality but stats say they lie.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Return to Religion / Theology